Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon race prep British Columbia
Quote | Reply
We are from Australia and plan to race Ironman Canada in Penticton in 2024. At this stage we anticipate landing in Vancouver on the Saturday prior to the event weekend. For an Ironman we normally arrive at the race location on the Thursday, but flight durations to previous races have been limited to 2-3 hours.

We will be renting a car on arrival and will be spending 2-3 weeks in the Rockies after the race.

My question to those familiar with BC, is where are good spots to base ourselves in the week prior to the race? We won’t be travelling with a Kickr so a location that has good options for outdoor riding and swimming pool/open water swimming.

Given part of the reason for the trip is to check out the sights of BC (and after the race Alberta), a scenic location so we can do a little bit of sight seeing during taper would be good. Preference is not to spend the first 10 days in Penticton.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon race prep British Columbia [DjH81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about Whistler?

Not saving any time driving that direction but no shortage of beauty of the sea to sky highway and you’ll get some of the previous Ironman Canada course and lake to swim in, plus a great tourist destination
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 for Whistler

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 18, 23 5:38
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon race prep British Columbia [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x 3 for Whistler. It's the easy option.

Although, I'm in Mission and really like the many lakes you can swim in here, as well as some solid/hilly biking.

Running is ok as well, on the Matsqui Trail.

Hotel prices may be less expensive out here as well (Abbotsford/Mission).

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon race prep British Columbia [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. That was the obvious choice but having been there 6+ times in winter wasn’t sure how it would be for outdoor riding without closed roads. But sounds like that is the logical option. Thanks all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lifelong resident of BC . . .

I would also put Whistler at the top of the list but also add Victoria as a consideration.

Whistler:

Travel - YVR to Whistler is a 2-ish hour drive and the Sea to Sky Highway section is scenic. Whistler to Penticton is a 6-ish hour drive. A couple of different options but I would suggest Highway 99. It can be slow going at times with RV and truck traffic but I find it the most scenic and it would also be a different experience than backtracking on the Sea to Sky.

Accommodation - Lots of affordable options right in the Village and you could pretty much park your car the entire time you're there

Tourism - Endless list of stuff to see and do

Training - The IMC bike and run courses are basically right out your front door and Alta Lake is about a 10 minute drive. One thing of note is that it looks like the pool may be closed for annual maintenance the week you'd be there.

Language - Bonus, it seems that about half the population of Whistler speaks Australian

Victoria:

Your 2-3 weeks in the Rockies will be a mountain vacation and as would Whistler. If you're wanting to mix things up, Victoria would have more of an urban oceanside sightseeing vibe.

Travel - YVR to Tsawwassen (Ferry) is a 1-ish hour drive. The ferry to Victoria (Swartz Bay) is 1:30-ish and very scenic but you definitely want to make sure you have reservations. Swartz Bay to Downtown Victoria is 45:00-ish. Heading to IMC, Victoria to Penticton total travel time (drive, ferry, drive) is probably 7-ish hours

Accommodation - I'm sure there are deals you could find but generally speaking I'm thinking probably more expensive than Whistler but nothing crazy

Tourism - Endless list of stuff to see and do but definitely more of an urban experience than Whistler

Training - Lots of swim (OW and pools), bike and run options and the Victoria 70.3 is based out of Elk Lake. Unlike Whistler and depending on where you're staying it would require a bit of planning and a commute but nothing too difficult. As an example, Elk Lake is about half way between the ferry terminal and downtown so most accommodations are probably only 30 minutes away at most.

Vancouver:

Not on my list but only because I have no idea about the logistics of training. It's a beautiful city with lots to see and do. If you're interested in more of an urban vacation, I'm guessing that with a bit of research and local knowledge it's probably easier than you would think to plan out some training routes and locations

Wildfires:

I know, a bit of a downer but I thought it was worth mentioning. The number and magnitude of our wildfires has increasingly become a very significant problem. It's impossible to predict when, where and how bad but air quality issues from smoke will be but it appears to be the new norm throughout the summer and throughout the province. If race week training is really important to you, wherever you decide to spend your time you might want to line up some indoor training options just in case and this is why I mentioned that the Whistler pool may be closed when you'd be there.

Good luck with your plans and race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DjH81 wrote:
We are from Australia and plan to race Ironman Canada in Penticton in 2024. At this stage we anticipate landing in Vancouver on the Saturday prior to the event weekend. For an Ironman we normally arrive at the race location on the Thursday, but flight durations to previous races have been limited to 2-3 hours.

We will be renting a car on arrival and will be spending 2-3 weeks in the Rockies after the race.

My question to those familiar with BC, is where are good spots to base ourselves in the week prior to the race? We won’t be travelling with a Kickr so a location that has good options for outdoor riding and swimming pool/open water swimming.

Given part of the reason for the trip is to check out the sights of BC (and after the race Alberta), a scenic location so we can do a little bit of sight seeing during taper would be good. Preference is not to spend the first 10 days in Penticton.

since you are 6 days of tapered training then I wouldn't pick a spot for training as a main goal. you likely will be doing low volume and intensity.

If you haven't spent time in Vancouver.
stay there, train at kits pool outdoor salt water 137.5 m.
run around Stanley park, or other areas of the seas wall.

Bike near UBC to Stanley park , am rides the road in one way ,safe and 10 km loops.

There is a lot to do the other16 hours a day you are awake and keep you busy.

plus you can stay near kits or downtown with no car needed till Thursday.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of votes for Whistler and it seems you have been there a lot, but if it was me, I would stay in the Lower Mainland - Mission, Abbotsford, Chilliwack.
Plenty of places to ride and run, cheaper hotels. I wouldn't want to add another 2 hours (or more) to my drive to Penticton by staying in Whistler.
Stay in Chilliwack or Cultus Lake. Swim in Cultus Lake, ride the bike course from the race they had last weekend. Cut your drive to Penticton down to 3 hours 30 minutes.
Mission and Abbotsford have triathlon clubs that could guide you on what to do where.
There isn't as much non-triathlon related stuff to do as there is in Vancoouver or Whistler, but being your taper week, I would imagine you don't want to be too active anyway.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon race prep British Columbia [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curious as you seen plenty of penticton and lower mainland and whistler. do you consider whistler good riding? I love the place and enjoy going but i would not say the riding was good. In my mind, i would have said ''acceptable'' but it s highway riding on a narrow shoulder with lots of cars! is there quiet roads around?

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply