Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UCAN energy drink
Quote | Reply
Last season I moved from sprint distance racing to do some Olympic distances. I was pretty confident that the starch-based UCAN products were hogwash. But the gels did seem to work well for me over this longer (but not long) distance. Over the winter, I expanded by buying some UCAN bars and a combo pack that included UCAN energy, their 'during the workout/race' drink mix. I just finished a giant tub of SIS drink mix and tried the UCAN drink for the first time earlier this week. I'm sensitive to stevia (really bad aftertaste, for me), but this product does not have stevia on the ingredients list. It does have 'monk fruit extract' as the last item. I should have done more homework, but...no stevia? - OK! My first sip of the UCAN drink was no bueno. For me, terrible aftertaste and that was refrigerator cold. After it warmed up a bit? Undrinkable. So, a PSA about how UCAN sweetens their drink mix.

I did contact customer service, asking for some compensation (I know I can't return an opened tub for a refund, but thought that they might send some gels or bars my way to compensate). Nope. The response pointed to the return policy with an apology that I found it unpleasant. Maybe that is another PSA? Pretty expensive mistake. Anyone in the Nashville TN area interested in getting my tub of UCAN energy in tropical orange flavor (minus one scoop!) for free? Just let me know and we can arrange for the handoff.
Quote Reply
Re: UCAN energy drink [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried Ucan many a moons ago and same thing didn’t enjoy the taste or the consistency so ended up with an unused tub like you. In 2019 I chatted to the Ucan crew in Kona and they told me about Tim O’donnell’s nutrition plan where he ended up having his best ever result mixing it with a high GI carb source as well. The higher GI generally over powers the Ucan so give it a trial and you may get to use it. I found doing this eliminated GI distress issues I got racing IM’s and evened out my energy levels all day.

https://ucan.co/...nell-fuels-with-ucan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
Last season I moved from sprint distance racing to do some Olympic distances. I was pretty confident that the starch-based UCAN products were hogwash. But the gels did seem to work well for me over this longer (but not long) distance. Over the winter, I expanded by buying some UCAN bars and a combo pack that included UCAN energy, their 'during the workout/race' drink mix. I just finished a giant tub of SIS drink mix and tried the UCAN drink for the first time earlier this week. I'm sensitive to stevia (really bad aftertaste, for me), but this product does not have stevia on the ingredients list. It does have 'monk fruit extract' as the last item. I should have done more homework, but...no stevia? - OK! My first sip of the UCAN drink was no bueno. For me, terrible aftertaste and that was refrigerator cold. After it warmed up a bit? Undrinkable. So, a PSA about how UCAN sweetens their drink mix.

I did contact customer service, asking for some compensation (I know I can't return an opened tub for a refund, but thought that they might send some gels or bars my way to compensate). Nope. The response pointed to the return policy with an apology that I found it unpleasant. Maybe that is another PSA? Pretty expensive mistake. Anyone in the Nashville TN area interested in getting my tub of UCAN energy in tropical orange flavor (minus one scoop!) for free? Just let me know and we can arrange for the handoff.

So you didn’t like the taste, cool, can happen. But asking for a compensation…….WTF what did you think? Why do you think they should compensate you?

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds pretty silly. You didn't like their product so now you want something for free and you're disappointed in the response from them? I mean, doesn't hurt to ask, but you should laugh it off as just that..."Well, didn't hurt to ask." Best of luck finding something you like.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: UCAN energy drink [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I have a few 100s of USD of their other products previously purchased, so I might be considered a 'valued customer'. They continuously offer on the order of 25% off orders. As a good will gesture, they could have provided a slightly bigger discount code for my next order - a win-win in my book. There is a chance that I'll just revert to other products that have proven to work for me in multiple national and world championship races.

I clearly indicated in the OP that I wasn't expecting a refund on an open tub, just some concession that I bought a product that I was unhappy with - as have others been unhappy with, as evidenced in this thread - and hoped that their business sense would provide some form of compensation. No help, that's cool. They make the rules and I choose my response.
Quote Reply
Re: UCAN energy drink [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have plenty of options that 'I like'. I may just revert back to those, no worries. This is an issue with an uncommon sweetener - monk fruit extract - that I did not even realize was the sweetener (acknowledged in my OP). If I ordered something in a restaurant and said - 'this is not what I expected and I don't like it' - most restaurants would 'make it right' by removing it from the bill or offering a replacement. How is this any different?
Last edited by: giorgitd: May 5, 24 13:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use ucan exclusively for my race fuel as I am not tolerant to all of the high sugar/higher carb stuff. I use the chocolate powder, nope I don't love the taste, but I mix a half scoop of an otherwise delicious protein powder, with a full scoop of ucan, and then ice and water. Pretty good then, and very consistent energy for 2-3 hours.

Nutmeg State
Last edited by: alexl11: May 6, 24 5:18
Quote Reply