Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race
Quote | Reply
For shame.

https://www.si.com/...car-ride-during-race
Last edited by: Tri2gohard: Apr 19, 23 18:25
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a great excuse...It was a misunderstanding and she was jet lagged. Classic
Last edited by: spasmus: Apr 19, 23 18:30
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:

It's indefensible!!!!
Last edited by: Tri2gohard: Apr 19, 23 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This absolutely shocked me.

Joasia is such an experienced runner with so many years of outstanding results on road, trail and track.

I just can't imagine what she was thinking.
Last edited by: satanellus: Apr 19, 23 19:37
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bit more detail on the story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/...uk-scotland-65322631
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
A bit more detail on the story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/...uk-scotland-65322631

did the check point marshal confirm that she checked out...
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the outragous amount of price money in Ultra running it is easy to understand why someone would cheat. (pink)
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:

did the check point marshal confirm that she checked out...

With 350 participants, it's not such a huge event that the race marshal wouldn't remember this. I'm curious if they checked.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She should've said "I took a ride to get here, but I'd like to keep going" at which point they should've taken her chip/bib and said "off you go" or "no you don't"

It's not like she deliberately said "I feel better now; I could get a podium"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
This absolutely shocked me.

Joasia is such an experienced runner with so many years of outstanding results on road, trail and track.

I just can't imagine what she was thinking.

"They won't catch me" "If I am doing it, everyone is, so its not cheating" "its all part of the game"

Kind of convenient a friend with a car was right where they were needed to cheat. Its a Festivus miracle!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure why you're addressing me. I didn't make her get in the car.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:

Blaming jet lag, I give her an "A" for the audacity of her excuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just surprised the articles don't mention anything about her role in those early-90s Bud Light ads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some years ago in my first attempt at a marathon I got about halfway and came to the conclusion I was done. So I tried to call from a phone booth (yeah that long ago) but some "person" was gabbing away and I hung around forever waiting for "that person" to stop talking and after a while I ended saying "f" it, and finished the marathon (I didn't BQ to say the least). So I can have some sympathy for anyone who thinks they are done then for whatever reason changes their mind. But I pity the person who destroys their reputation in such a dumb manner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do double letters need to be next to each other?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty much the definition of "double-letters"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Do double letters need to be next to each other?

Are you jet lagged or something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The kicker is accepting the 3rd place trophy and stealing a second time. She stole the chance for the 4th place woman to be recognized and photographed on the podium. She did give the award back, but it was too late.

for shame

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Some years ago in my first attempt at a marathon I got about halfway and came to the conclusion I was done. So I tried to call from a phone booth (yeah that long ago) but some "person" was gabbing away and I hung around forever waiting for "that person" to stop talking and after a while I ended saying "f" it, and finished the marathon (I didn't BQ to say the least). So I can have some sympathy for anyone who thinks they are done then for whatever reason changes their mind. But I pity the person who destroys their reputation in such a dumb manner.

I'm not sure changing your mind that your done and 'forgetting' you got a car ride are remotely similar...?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [gunna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But I pity the person who destroys their reputation in such a dumb manner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be fair though, do the rules explicitly state that getting a ride by sitting in a comfy car instead of progressing by sheer will power on foot is forbidden?

Ok let the twitch hunt carry on
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL

This is the most nonsensical "explanation" of cheating since that pro supposedly ate testosterone in pork or something.

I would be more ashamed to push BS this far-fetched than to admit my deed.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
But I pity the person who destroys their reputation in such a dumb manner.

Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

But I pity the person who destroys their reputation.

I think the point Gunna was making she is just a cheat, no other aspect or story about changing your mind is relevant. And deserves no pity.
Last edited by: lastlap: Apr 20, 23 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Ultramarathoner Disqualified For Accepting Car Ride During Race [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time for MI to go look at past results ? đŸ¤”
Quote Reply

Prev Next