Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly Accountability Thread: Apr. 15 edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week? What are your goals for the upcoming week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly Accountability Thread: Apr. 15 edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goals were
1. 7/7 days healthy coping skills- 6/7 and while I am not proud of the 1/7, I am proud of how I fought for many of the others (can this get easier? Please?)
2. Journal daily - done!
3. Hip and shoulder PT as PT and MD recommend - done! Doc put cortisone in hip on Tues AM; have PT this afternoon and hope to be cleared to jog. Shoulder is still in a lot of pain
4. Swim and jog as PT and MD recommend - done, see above, very proud of self for not having tried to jog yet (was told not to, and listened)
5. Be appreciative for what my body can do - I did this
6. 2 x 2 min pauses a day (it is a healthy skill to slow my racing thoughts down) - done a few times, and used this a few times as a skill instead of just practice

Fitness wise
1 jog Tues (pre-cortisone)
M,W off
Th- 0.5 mi easy walk
F - 0.84 mi easy walk
S- 2 mi ways walk
S- 3.1 mi easy walk

Goals this week
1. 7/7 healthy skills
2. Hip and shoulder PT as PT instructs
3. Jog and swim as PT instructs
4. Journal daily
5. Be appreciative of what my body can do
6. 2 x 2 min pauses daily to practice the skill
7. Collect a bunch of kisses today while am playing Wellesley girl

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly Accountability Thread: Apr. 15 edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goal last week was simple. Get a few runs in before my Wednesday pacemaker implant and then lay low for the first couple of weeks before getting back on the stationary bike for some return to spinning. The doctors said I had a four week window of no lifting my arm above my head while the leads cemented in place in my heartā€¦.easy enoughā€¦.right?!

Nopeā€¦.been in the hospital on oxygen since Friday afternoon when it was discovered I had a partially collapsed lung. Apparently my lung was punctured sometime during the lead implant. The Atrial lead is working correctly and I have been in afib since.

Okay, so the goal this week is to reposition the lead to get it back working, get out of AFIB, get the puncture in my lungs healed and start the 4 week clock over againā€¦..dang and I was getting back in good shape prior to thisā€¦.life is a journey:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly Accountability Thread: Apr. 15 edition [Tobrien55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The kicker is my hospital room over looks the swim start and transition area of a sprint triathlon I have done multiple timesā€¦..motivation to get back racing perhaps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tobrien55 wrote:
My goal last week was simple. Get a few runs in before my Wednesday pacemaker implant and then lay low for the first couple of weeks before getting back on the stationary bike for some return to spinning. The doctors said I had a four week window of no lifting my arm above my head while the leads cemented in place in my heartā€¦.easy enoughā€¦.right?!

Nopeā€¦.been in the hospital on oxygen since Friday afternoon when it was discovered I had a partially collapsed lung. Apparently my lung was punctured sometime during the lead implant. The Atrial lead is working correctly and I have been in afib since.

Okay, so the goal this week is to reposition the lead to get it back working, get out of AFIB, get the puncture in my lungs healed and start the 4 week clock over againā€¦..dang and I was getting back in good shape prior to thisā€¦.life is a journey:-)

Iā€™m so sorry about the complications and youā€™re traveling back in time (kinda). Keep us updated lots, ok?

Does not being able to put arm above head make it hard for you to sleep?

Healing, non-AFIB vibes!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tobrien55 wrote:
The kicker is my hospital room over looks the swim start and transition area of a sprint triathlon I have done multiple timesā€¦..motivation to get back racing perhaps?

Upside: windows are nice, particularly of water
Downside: view sounds torturous :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Met all goals mon except the 2x2 min pauses (it was a busy day). Proud to be 1/1 on healthy coping for the week so far! And six days in a row, looking back farther

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chowders wrote:
This coming week Iā€™ll be aiming to get back into the race-build routine (albeit I am working around another, shorter, family trip on Thu/Fri and a wedding on Sat). Iā€™ve been thinking itā€™s 5 or 6 weeks until my first race but just counted and itā€™s 7 - so thatā€™s good!

I feel like Iā€™ve made a positive change recently with sleep habits - just need to make that absolutely routine. Iā€™m going to focus on better nutrition this week (which I feel in recent months has been ok but not great). Donā€™t want to overcomplicate - the plan is simple to choose the most nutrient-dense option I can for each meal and snack.

It was a decent training week last week, albeit with some compromises for family & social. 11k swim, 5hrs bike, 3hrs run, no strength session, 2/4 prehab sessions.

But Iā€™m sick again as of Sun (sat next to an ill sister in a car for 7hrs on Fri so fairly obvious what the source was!) - so this week hasnā€™t got off to a good start. Iā€™m feeling much better today though so hopefully itā€™s not something that will linger. Assuming Iā€™m well, Iā€™ve got dental work on Wed and have been advised to take it easy and stay out of pool for 24-48hrs afterwards. So this week is just going to be a case of getting a bit of exercise done when I can and hopefully by the weekend (at least) Iā€™ll be ā€˜trainingā€™ again.

Sleep is still good. Regarding my nutrition focus for last week - letā€™s just say my preparation, resolve and commitment wasnā€™t up to the challenge of travel (inc delays) and socials. Iā€™ll try again this week (comfort eating whilst sick and/or the dental work constraints will be the new challenge)!

Itā€™s 5 weeks including this week until my first race and another 5 weeks until my first ā€˜Aā€ race. The past few weeks have been ā€˜snakes & laddersā€™ so Iā€™m not really sure about where my fitness is and I feel a bit behind where I want to be but I still have time to do a solid build phase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Met all goals mon except the 2x2 min pauses (it was a busy day). Proud to be 1/1 on healthy coping for the week so far! And six days in a row, looking back farther

Since starting to follow along with your recent challenges and your focus on ā€˜healthy coping skillsā€™ - Iā€™m more aware of my tendency towards unhealthy coping behaviours (in my case: junk food, and faffing and/or scrolling instead of sleeping more). Been helpful for me - thanks.

And congrats on getting a bit of a ā€˜healthy copingā€™ streak going!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly Accountability Thread: Apr. 15 edition [Chowders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry you're ill again and glad you're on the healthy coping skills train.
I do a lot of "notice and name" - notice how I'm feeling, name the feeling, bc from there it's easier to identify "what do I need to do to make myself feel emotionally regulated / what is the healthy response to this feeling". Gotta love alliteration!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2/2 for the week!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am out of the hospital now and back home recovering. Only walking casually for the next four weeks while my heart and lungs heal. After having both shoulders repaired in the last five years, I have figured out ways to cope with awkward positions while sleepingā€¦.quite the journey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best wishes for a successful recovery šŸ’Ŗ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm happy to hear you're out of the hospital!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3/3 for the week so far!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4/4 !

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5/5 for the week!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6/6

:D

Quote Reply