Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

muscle tears and quinolone antibiotics
Quote | Reply
I went on Levofloxacin a couple days ago for a nagging chest infection and suffered a bit of a calf strain while doing easy jogging this morning. I assumed it was unrealted, but I read it can be a side effect. Just coincidence? I went off it and switched to a different family of drugs but the calf thing is going to bug me for a while
Quote Reply
Re: muscle tears and quinolone antibiotics [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a coincidence for me too, just after I took Levaquin in 2006. I have to admit that I was on the edge of the max volume I could consistently handle for several weeks.

When I got sick many years later I took Azithromycin with no issues at all.

Both cleared up my lungs very well though.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A more common side effect with quinolones are joint aches. Muscle pain usually not so much, but surely it can happen. I'm thinking it might just be a coincidence.
Levofloxacin is commonly used for outpatients for pneumonia it provides a broader coverage than azithromycin.
Quote Reply
Re: muscle tears and quinolone antibiotics [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest wrote:
A more common side effect with quinolones are joint aches. Muscle pain usually not so much, but surely it can happen. I'm thinking it might just be a coincidence.
Levofloxacin is commonly used for outpatients for pneumonia it provides a broader coverage than azithromycin.

OK, thanks. I did end up getting a chest xray just for fun but it will take them a while to read it apparently. They switched me to the z-pack but I'll wait until tomorrow to start that stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it for pneumonia as well.

I would start it now. You'll be a lot better tomorrow, it's amazing how fast it works.
Quote Reply
Re: muscle tears and quinolone antibiotics [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I had it for pneumonia as well.

I would start it now. You'll be a lot better tomorrow, it's amazing how fast it works.

Hopefully i will still have some friendly bacteria left in my stomach after all these strong drugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your gut bacteria will take a minor hit for sure, but the antibiotics used to treat pneumonia luckily have bad coverage for anaerobes (Bacteria in your gut that don't require oxygen!) :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can cause Achilles tendonitis/Achilles tendon rupture. Usually when combined with steroids. I tend to warn active people of this risk.
Quote Reply