Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike flask holder for hammer gel
Quote | Reply
I have a x-lab aero bento box that I store my solid nutrition in - cliff bars, honey stingers, etc. I usually carry gels in my pocket, but tired of the mess, having to carry wrappers, etc. I was thinking of using a hammer gel flask and buying their gel for 140.6, but would like to mount flask on bike. I have BTA set up so would mount to steam between water bottle and my bento box. Clean set up. Anyone use a flask holder? I found a few but non that fit the hammer gel and the one that looks like it would fit hammer gel (ultimate direction) seems to be discontinued. I looked at some other flasks but reviews say their openings too small for gel.
Quote Reply
Re: bike flask holder for hammer gel [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most gel flasks work well if you have a runny gel (ex. powergel) or cut the gel a bit with water (ex. hammer gel). Really thick gels (ex. GU chocolate outrage) don't work as well.

Heres a guy that got creative w/magnets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...r_any_bike_P3945305/

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not stored on the bike, but I use a soft-flask and put 5 gels in it. The powerbar gels are thin enough to not need any further watering down. I then carry the soft-flask in a back pocket of my trisuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this would work in your specific situation, but here is another option to consider: depending on your bike, using a Speedpack 483 or 483D, plus hammer nutrition gel flask:

And, if this is just not enough capacity for your needs, we will soon be coming out with a new and bigger Speedpack, one that could fit the gel flask above plus the kitchen sink ... ;^)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watered down gels in a flask are the way to go. Easier to swallow and easier to deal with. The best gel flask holder is this one (no longer made and nearly impossible to find) I think it was from Ultimate Directions. This unit will not work with Hammer Gel bottle and needs the more common shorter fatter flask.

I have recently made a setup for My wife's PR6 - because it has a flat top tube I was able to get a firm safe attachment by using a strip of (use good quality - brand name) Velcro.

The velcroed flasks are firmly attached and have to be pulled fairly hard to detach for use.

If you can remember to point the flask to the rear you won't wind up with gel in the working area if you don't shut the flask completely.
The velcro attachment method could also fit behind a bento box if you need that for bars,pills, etc. Absolutely no problem so far with bouncing off or coming loose and very easy to remove and replace while riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I do. Infinit Napalm ended up being my absolutely hands down favorite for gels in the Hammer Flask. You can mix it very, very concentrated and it will still come out as easy as a sports drink.
Quote Reply
Re: bike flask holder for hammer gel [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a dark speed pack and just today received my order of a soft flask. I bought the 250ml but it is a bit large for the pack (it fits, because it's soft, but you won't fill it with 250ml because of the shape), 150ml will definitely fit.

https://www.amazon.com/...1DSBF1848M1HQ3X2G3ZB
Quote Reply
Re: bike flask holder for hammer gel [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some very good info, I will pass that on to athletes looking for a good top tube gel solution.
Thanks.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: bike flask holder for hammer gel [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the GU flasks and holder. The holder looks the same as this. Funny thing is, I bought the aero box to mount on my top tube since I have mounting bolts now on the 2014 P2, but I can't fit anything in it! I planned on taking it off and going back to my GU flask and holder as well.

I also put 4 gels in flasks and just swapped the empty one from the holder to the full one I carry in my jersey pocket. Worked perfectly fine for me.

trimule wrote:
Watered down gels in a flask are the way to go. Easier to swallow and easier to deal with. The best gel flask holder is this one (no longer made and nearly impossible to find) I think it was from Ultimate Directions. This unit will not work with Hammer Gel bottle and needs the more common shorter fatter flask.

I have recently made a setup for My wife's PR6 - because it has a flat top tube I was able to get a firm safe attachment by using a strip of (use good quality - brand name) Velcro.

The velcroed flasks are firmly attached and have to be pulled fairly hard to detach for use.

If you can remember to point the flask to the rear you won't wind up with gel in the working area if you don't shut the flask completely.
The velcro attachment method could also fit behind a bento box if you need that for bars,pills, etc. Absolutely no problem so far with bouncing off or coming loose and very easy to remove and replace while riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
revitalizing an old thread.

Does anyone have any information on release of the Profile Design HSC-250 (ml) gel flask/bottle? Saw it on a GTN episode of new "tech" at Kona 2023.

I cannot find any photos of it, but it involves a base which attaches to the top tube, and a removable bottle. Don't know why it took the industry so long to come up with something like this...but its not available for purchase, yet.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: bike flask holder for hammer gel [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On eBay, look up Gel Flask Holder. The classic ones that worked well.are there $10. Done. No need to reinvent the wheel….
Quote Reply
Re: bike flask holder for hammer gel [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beaker wrote:
On eBay, look up Gel Flask Holder. The classic ones that worked well.are there $10. Done. No need to reinvent the wheel….

I checked those out. You are correct, no need to reinvent the wheel, but…..

The clean setup on my speed concept, and my type A personality desires something “nicer”

With that said, the new product about which I inquired would be a replacement for my current SC bento box. Shaped like the bento box, but a little wider, and the gel flask removable from the base, it’s “clean”, and nicely integrated with the top tube.

Thanks for your reply, though.

Quote Reply
Re: bike flask holder for hammer gel [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
revitalizing an old thread.

Does anyone have any information on release of the Profile Design HSC-250 (ml) gel flask/bottle? Saw it on a GTN episode of new "tech" at Kona 2023.

Got a link to that GTN episode?

--
Quote Reply
Re: bike flask holder for hammer gel [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

3:10 in

blog
Quote Reply
Re: bike flask holder for hammer gel [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
https://youtu.be/oxnDgI3ivYU?si=rj-43w7hoeLsxPbK

3:10 in

thanks for the link. yes, that's the one I'm looking for.

Last edited by: chxddstri: Dec 26, 23 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: bike flask holder for hammer gel [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link.

That looks clever. Hopefully it stays secure over potholes and such. Clearly the mount is fine (as it's bolted in), but l wonder how well the flask stays in.

--
Quote Reply