Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
gp 5000 TR or TL
Quote | Reply
hi im wodering what is the difference between the TR and TL versions of the gp 5000 and which one to get (not going tubeless ever)
will be useing them on the new aerolus 75 mm deep rim (not sure the internal width)
running tpu tubes and wont be ever tubeless

also what size tyre and pressure should i run with a 63 kg rider and 10k new speed concept and (rough roads)

been useing the P zero race 28 and running about 65 rear and 60 psi front , but i think the GPs will be faster and bit more puncture resistant
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: gp 5000 TR or TL [ironpo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironpo wrote:
hi im wodering what is the difference between the TR and TL versions of the gp 5000 and which one to get (not going tubeless ever)
will be useing them on the new aerolus 75 mm deep rim (not sure the internal width)

also what size tyre and pressure should i run with a 63 kg rider and 10k new speed concept and (rough roads)

been useing the P zero race 28 and running about 65 rear and 60 psi front , but i think the GPs will be faster and bit more puncture resistant
thanks

Both are the tubeless version of the Gp5000 clincher tire. The TL was the original model and later replaced with the TR. The TL could only be used on hooked rims while the TR is rated for hookless.

You can just run the GP5000 with tubes which should give you the same performance as the TR.

See the Silca tire pressure calculator for recommended pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...grand-prix-5000-s-tr

The Crr of different tpu tubes varies from almost a good as latex to as slow as butyl, so brand matters.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...ials/tpu-inner-tubes

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: gp 5000 TR or TL [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
ironpo wrote:

thanks

Both are the tubeless version of the Gp5000 clincher tire. The TL was the original model and later replaced with the TR. The TL could only be used on hooked rims while the TR is rated for hookless.

You can just run the GP5000 with tubes which should give you the same performance as the TR.

See the Silca tire pressure calculator for recommended pressure.
Thanks
I presume my aerolus rsl rims are hooked?
Quote Reply
Re: gp 5000 TR or TL [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...grand-prix-5000-s-tr

The Crr of different tpu tubes varies from almost a good as latex to as slow as butyl, so brand matters.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...ials/tpu-inner-tubes
Thanks
While that would be quire obvious , I didn’t know that
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And is there a difference between the gp5000 tr and the gp5000 S TR ?
I can only find the S TR version
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironpo wrote:
And is there a difference between the gp5000 tr and the gp5000 S TR ?
I can only find the S TR version
Thanks

There is only an S TR version. The GP5000 (no S or TR) is the tubed version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are running tubes, the gp5000 clincher (not tl, not tr) is the best tire. It's going to be marginally lighter and should be easier to install. I have the 25c on my aeolus pro 51s , and inflated to 90 psi they measure 29mm, which is optimal for the rim width.
The tan walled ones are 20g heavier than the black sidewalls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no reason to waste your money on a tubeless tire.

Just get the Continental Grand Prix 5000 clincher tires and latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: gp 5000 TR or TL [WillyMFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WillyMFire wrote:
If you are running tubes, the gp5000 clincher (not tl, not tr) is the best tire. It's going to be marginally lighter and should be easier to install. I have the 25c on my aeolus pro 51s , and inflated to 90 psi they measure 29mm, which is optimal for the rim width.
The tan walled ones are 20g heavier than the black sidewalls.
thanks
thats the info i was after
i didnt reliase they still made the "normal" version
29mm is wide for a so called 25mm tyre??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes they are hooked - I've the 75 RSLs on my new SC.

Fwiw then I am running 28mm GP5000S-TR tubeless and they measure up at 29.5mm on those rims. Tubed they may well shape up differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just FYI, the TR will be faster then the non-tubeless gp5000, even with tubes. None of these tires are all that hard to install if you do it right.
Quote Reply
Re: gp 5000 TR or TL [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non tubeless 25mm gp5000 with latex tube is just a hair faster than gp5000S TR, according to AeroCoach: https://lirp.cdn-website.com/...art+220224-1920w.png
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I remember when I was looking for tires last year, the clincher version tends to measure wider, but continental did a better job with the size measurement on the tl/tr versions which came out later, likely because they understood that people were going to use wider rims. I'm sure on a 19 mm internal width the clincher 25 would measure truer to size. I actually measured mine this morning before I posted, just to confirm.

Nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mounted up my tubed 5000 for a race this week and it measured 24.5 or so on a 15mm internal rim (my powertap wheel/cover). I would imagine the 19mm is probably going to be right on 25 and wider rims will give it another millimeter or two.

And to reiterate a point above; Jarno at Brr does great work but his 'master tire list' still mixes apples (tubeless tires) with oranges (tubed tires with a 100 g butyl tube). He has tested tubed tires plenty of times with latex and found they are virtually identical to tubeless except at very low pressures. Ultralight butyl and polyurethane tubes come close enough to latex at higher pressures that my front race wheel with a 20mm tire has the Conti Supersonic 50g tube in it because I had an anti-latex moment after several latex seam failures in a short period of time. The Supersonic tubes are worse than latex for installing, but once done they are pretty much 'never think about again' tubes. And they are definitely cheaper than TPU.
I've since repented of my latex phobia and most of my wheels have latex tubes again since I hated sealant more than latex.
Quote Reply
Re: gp 5000 TR or TL [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All great info
Thanks

Got some gp 5000 clinchers 25 on way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously worth considering 28 next time, at least on the back where it has negligible aero effect. Even on the front then I'm still going 28mm on those wheels. Mainly for comfort/fatigue reduction, but also to provide a touch more rim protection.

And I was running 28mm tubed for a long time on my road bike (21mm inner). So even if you are committed to tubed then can try that.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Apr 6, 24 19:00
Quote Reply
Re: gp 5000 TR or TL [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Seriously worth considering 28 next time, at least on the back where it has negligible aero effect. Even on the front then I'm still going 28mm on those wheels. Mainly for comfort/fatigue reduction, but also to provide a touch more rim protection.

And I was running 28mm tubed for a long time on my road bike (21mm inner). So even if you are committed to tubed then can try that.
Yes agree
I’ll measure the 25 and see how wide they are mounted
I didn’t want to get the 28 and have them measure 30+mm once mounted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I may add something : I bought a used pair of 90/60 HED rimbrake wheels.

The rear tire was a 5000TL and the front a 5000 tubetype.

Front tire was put in 2minutes, rear one 30 minutes.

Had to go to the bike shop to true de rear wheel, they also looked like it was one of the hardest tire/wheel combo they ever had to do. They also partially damaged the hed carbon fairing doing so.

I will use this trea to ask a similar question : I am planning on replacing the rear tire with a michelin power cup 25.
As I will use Latex tubes, is the TLR and Tubetype version ( cheaper) as fast, as long as it says Gum X ?

Best regards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironpo wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

Yes agree
I’ll measure the 25 and see how wide they are mounted
I didn’t want to get the 28 and have them measure 30+mm once mounted

The 25mm measures 26-27mm on my RSL 75s. I wish I put on 28mm tires and I’m usually one to run 25 or even 23 mm tires. 25mm is just not enough tire for these wheels with a 23mm inner width.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: gp 5000 TR or TL [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strangename wrote:
If I may add something : I bought a used pair of 90/60 HED rimbrake wheels.

The rear tire was a 5000TL and the front a 5000 tubetype.

Front tire was put in 2minutes, rear one 30 minutes.

Had to go to the bike shop to true de rear wheel, they also looked like it was one of the hardest tire/wheel combo they ever had to do. They also partially damaged the hed carbon fairing doing so.

I will use this trea to ask a similar question : I am planning on replacing the rear tire with a michelin power cup 25.
As I will use Latex tubes, is the TLR and Tubetype version ( cheaper) as fast, as long as it says Gum X ?

Best regards

The 5000TL is notorious for being difficult to mount on any wheel. Part of me thinks this one of the reasons the tire was discontinued. The newer 5000 TR S is easier to mount but it does vary depending on the wheel.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: gp 5000 TR or TL [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WillyMFire wrote:
From what I remember when I was looking for tires last year, the clincher version tends to measure wider, but continental did a better job with the size measurement on the tl/tr versions which came out later, likely because they understood that people were going to use wider rims. I'm sure on a 19 mm internal width the clincher 25 would measure truer to size. I actually measured mine this morning before I posted, just to confirm.

FWIW my clincher GP5000s measure 25mm on the dot on 19mm internal wheels and the tubeless GP5000 TT TR measures closer to 26mm.
Quote Reply
Re: gp 5000 TR or TL [RJones07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So a bit of a bummer
I bought the 25 mm on my aerlous rims but they only measured 27 mm and where terrible to mount , almost impossible and too narrow for this wide rim
So just got some 28 now and will mount today to see how they measure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why were they terrible to mount?
Quote Reply

Prev Next