Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [MadisonGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonGuy wrote:
I hear you on the EV. The hope was my current car would last long enough I could make that transition - I'm still using the civic from college and I'm in my 40s now. Maybe I'll get another few years from it but I've been in and out of the shop for the last 6 months with electrical gremlins that cannot be removed apparently. Current batch of EVs are too expensive for me - I'm waiting for the EV with mostly button controls, with utility not luxury in-mind on design, and reasonable price. I don't think we are there yet, but maybe soon. I'm in Mass and it's 50 and raining here.... not good.

Just an FYI, a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y has a current price from $39K-$52K. If you qualify for the $7,500 tax credit, which depends on your income level, it will be close or perhaps cheaper than a CR-V Hybrrid. Factor in gas and maintenance savings, and the cost of ownership for these cars will likely be less than the Honda.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonGuy wrote:
I hear you on the EV. The hope was my current car would last long enough I could make that transition - I'm still using the civic from college and I'm in my 40s now. Maybe I'll get another few years from it but I've been in and out of the shop for the last 6 months with electrical gremlins that cannot be removed apparently. Current batch of EVs are too expensive for me - I'm waiting for the EV with mostly button controls, with utility not luxury in-mind on design, and reasonable price. I don't think we are there yet, but maybe soon. I'm in Mass and it's 50 and raining here.... not good.

It may be different in the US (although I thought you guys had more choice than us in Australia for EVs) but my BYD didn't cost me more than what a Honda CR-V hybrid would have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hitch all the way. I've had my Kuat NV for over 10 years. Still holding up strong. The only think damaged part is the anti-rattle/wobble mechanism, but that doesn't affect anything major.

If I was going to buy a new rack, I would go for a 1 Up USA though. I really like the double compression arm style racks. And the 1 Up is really solid too. The 1 Up also allows you to run a 1,2, 3, or 4 bike configuration which is nice from a customization standpoint.
Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
Hitch all the way. I've had my Kuat NV for over 10 years. Still holding up strong. The only think damaged part is the anti-rattle/wobble mechanism, but that doesn't affect anything major.

If I was going to buy a new rack, I would go for a 1 Up USA though. I really like the double compression arm style racks. And the 1 Up is really solid too. The 1 Up also allows you to run a 1,2, 3, or 4 bike configuration which is nice from a customization standpoint.
I just checked out the 1 up and it looks like a nice design. It is also extremely close to a rack I designed and built myself. One small downside to it (as to mine as well), if you have a quick release on your front wheel, stealing the bike is as simple as flipping the skewer, lifting the fork off the front wheel, pulling the bike out and then removing the front wheel.

I was all proud of my design and thought it was super cool, then one day I was looking at it and realized just how easy it would be to steal my bike. Tested my theory and sure enough I might as well have hung it on the back of my car with a "steal me" sign attached.

I ended up running a cable lock through the front wheel and frame for some bit of security, but it's not an elegant solution. Picture of my design.

Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful there, you'd probably be better off scratching the Trump sticker from your photo than your license plate number around these parts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure you'd have the same security issue with any tray style hitch rack. The Kuat NV has an integrated cable lock on the rack and any cable or chain lock would suffice for the 1 UP as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What's the general thoughts on hitch vs roof rack?

Honda Element is your answer. My bikes ride inside, all the time. My 2006 Element is pushing 200k miles and I'll continue driving it for as long as I can. With any luck, Honda will bring it back someday (fingers crossed) as an EV/hybrid. I'll be first in line at the dealership.
Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Careful there, you'd probably be better off scratching the Trump sticker from your photo than your license plate number around these parts!
Not going to hide it. Not afraid.
Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
I'm pretty sure you'd have the same security issue with any tray style hitch rack. The Kuat NV has an integrated cable lock on the rack and any cable or chain lock would suffice for the 1 UP as well.
I did not see that. Basically the same solution I came up with, but still cumbersome. I'm trying to come up with an elegant solution. As of yet, nothing strikes me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

That's part of your problem LOL

It would be an interesting scenario if skinny little bicycle person (you) gets run off the road by overweight mega-truck MAGA cult member (your bestie, who had no idea you identified as "triathlete")

I like a rack in the back, because my anxiety insists that I constantly monitor the whereabouts of my bikes, and the rear-view affords the best solution

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
VegasJen wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

It would be an interesting scenario if skinny little bicycle person (you) gets run off the road by overweight mega-truck MAGA cult member (your bestie, who had no idea you identified as "triathlete")

I like a rack in the back, because my anxiety insists that I constantly monitor the whereabouts of my bikes, and the rear-view affords the best solution
So the name calling starts. My side isn't the one prone to violence. My side has shown remarkable restraint given the situation. But you can feel free to send antiFA brown shirts to my town. Rest assured, they will receive a warm welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
I have an EV (as every person buying a new car these days should, except for a few exceptions) so hitch doesn't affect range much and is therefore the logical choice.

I'm with you there. Now if T*sla could just give us a "hitch bike rack" mode with appropriate efficiency/range calculations and a few other tweaks, things would be perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love how a sticker can trigger people. Lol TRUMP 2024
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
RandMart wrote:
VegasJen wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

So the name calling starts. My side isn't the one prone to violence. My side has shown remarkable restraint given the situation. But you can feel free to send antiFA brown shirts to my town. Rest assured, they will receive a warm welcome.

Going to veer straight into the Lav Room but you posted a pic with that sticker in it and then you just posted this craziness. The sticker is 100% purposely done to provoke a response. Owning the libs or whatever you’re about. You’re entitled to your opinion no matter how misguided it might be. I have no tolerance for straight up bullshit though. Your post was just bullshit.

Tell me which side (your term not mine) attempted to overthrow our government three years and five days ago? Before you post more conspiracy theory horseshit just know that you’re not dealing with an amateur here.

Good luck finding a bike rack and with ruining our country.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 11, 24 5:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By “warm welcome” do you mean brunch or something? You ride a 50cm Roubaix with a seat bag. You’re not getting tough with anybody.
Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [Cmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^^^^ haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cmartin wrote:
By “warm welcome” do you mean brunch or something? You ride a 50cm Roubaix with a seat bag. You’re not getting tough with anybody.

The thing to make fun of here isn't the sticker, it's that bike setup----

Triple chainring
Positive rise stem on a long steerer
Backwards tilted handlebars
Brake hoods above saddle
Saddlebag on a car mounted bike
Mushy cushy saddle
Caps and screws on valve stems
Both QRs directly on top of a tube
Bottle only on the seat tube
and the absolute worst transgression of all...FLAT PEDALS

All of this on a bike the owner finds so cherry that it needs to be locked up not just with a cable, but also with a bulletproof circular lock at the back. Nvm that an enterprising thief could pull a pin on the hitch and have the whole assembly in the back of their truck in 10 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every bike that's actually ridden is a fine bike. Not into bike elitism.

Also most hitches have hitch locks. So you're looking at maybe a minute with an angle grinder or drill before you pull that thing out.

Don't mistake any of this with me being in any way MAGA - I think it's sad when good people succumb to that cult of personality. Just not into ridiculing our own posters over their equipment.

Edit: @CMartin's post was funny, though. Not gonna lie.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 11, 24 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Just not into ridiculing our own posters over their equipment.

To that I will agree.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Also most hitches have hitch locks. So you're looking at maybe a minute with an angle grinder or drill before you pull that thing out.

Bolt cutter will take care of that cable, too

Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Bolt cutter will take care of that cable, too

Yeah, you're antifa, so you know better than me! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Canadians reading this and possibly a few American states have similar laws.

In Ontario, there have been proposed Highway Traffic Act amendments – most recently, the No Flak for Carrying Racks Act in 2018 – to allow bike racks to obscure rear plates, but they didn't pass. But no province allows you to buy an extra licence plate that you can mount on a bike rack to avoid getting a ticket.Sep 10, 2023

Something to bear in mind when deciding. I put my bike inside the car.
Easy peasy on an SUV, a little tougher in my Smart.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cmartin wrote:

What's wrong with a saddle bag??

Also hitch rack FTW, for all the reasons already mentioned plus zero wind noise-anything on the roof drives me insane with how noisy they are.
Last edited by: lastlap: Jan 11, 24 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always AntiFascist/Sometimes AntiSocial LOL

Quote Reply
Re: roof rack or hitch rack [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:

What's wrong with a saddle bag??

Nothing, it's just about fashion for competitive cyclists.

Most fashionable: no saddle bag.
Second best: small, tight saddle bag.
The large, swaying saddle bag is like wearing sweatpants to a Michelin-starred restaurant to the snobs.

Gravel, at least, has started to make all manner of frame bags more acceptable. Though even in the gravel world there are complex, unwritten rules of fashion.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 11, 24 9:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next