Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

seeking Trainer upgrade advice
Quote | Reply
Hello!

I've been using an old Kurt Kinetic trainer for about 12 years, and mostly used TrainerRoad on an old Mac Mini or an old MacBook Air. I'm in a point where something/everything needs to be upgraded - the Mini and the MacBook are crashing occasionally, but they are both over 10 years old and it's time. I have some newer devices: MacBook Air (15" M2), a couple iPads and an iPhone 15 Pro. Any of these could handle TrainerRoad and streaming shows, which I could cast to my TV. However, none have USB-A and my sensors are all ANT+, not bluetooth. I'm considering a couple routes. Cheap and simple is a USB-C hub to use my newer laptop. However, maybe this is the time to jump into the direct drive smart trainer world, which all could connect over Bluetooth. I've read all the DC Rainmaker reviews, but many were based on prices that are far higher than what they are going for now. Here are the three that I'm considering:
  1. Tacx/Garmin has a deal on the Neo 2T - buy it for $999 and get the motion plates for free (through end of January).
  2. Wahoo Core is available for $500 on Amazon, or $600 with a year of Zwift and a cassette.
  3. Elite Suito is available for $440 on Amazon or $480 on bike tires direct.

The first is clearly more premium, but I'm wondering if the motion plates would make it worth the extra cost. I've never had a rocker plate or any of that set up, but I've been thinking about it. The Elite is so cheap, and I'll get some slight discounts off that. The Wahoo Core seems to be a consensus pick for the money. Any thoughts from those that have been in the smart trainer world for a while?
Quote Reply
Re: seeking Trainer upgrade advice [jtplaysdrums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've got Mac/PC there, and Tacx/Wahoo. May as well add in tubed/tubeless and Sram/Shimano and really get the full house of 50:50 tossups ;-)

All I'll share is I'm running two Tacx Neo (OG) that are 7 year old, both working off second hand off lease desktops I bought 5 years ago for NZD$99 (US60) and then cheap NZD50 graphics cards.

Both work perfectly for zwift, then use an ANT+ dongle for connection.

If I was buying now, I'd almost certainly go for a Tacx Neo again as that's what I've used for what is almost 30 years now (really, wheel on trainers in 90s, an i-magic in late 2000s through to 2015 when I got the neo). Only thing forcing the rethink is in NZ the Garmin support is dreadful, but irrelevant to your issue.

I've not got any sort of movement plate, regularly do rides of 2 hours and fairly often over 3 hours. That said based on all reviews and comments from friends then it would be an upgrade.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with any of the options you mention, it's just if you prefer pepsi or cocacola.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the Neo 2T about 30 days ago with the sale and promotion you reference (haven't received the motion plates yet as they ship separately via the rebate) after my OG Kickr died after 6 years of heavy use. I was going to get a new Kickr due to my success with the original, but the Neo 2T sale was too attractive to pass up. You have to factor in the cost of a cassette as the Neo doesn't come with one, but I had several spares laying around to use. I'm extremely happy with the Neo.

I've used it with both a MacBook Pro via ANT+ (using a USB-C to USB-A single adapter with a Suunto dongle) and an iPad via Bluetooth, and both have been flawless. The trainer/power response for Zwift and built erg workouts directly from my Garmin Edge is awesome.

Noise was not a huge concern, but the Neo is essentially silent but for the sound of the drivetrain. I haven't received the motion plates yet, but there is significantly more side to side ride motion with the Neo over my Kickr even though I had the Kickr action feet (I bought the feet separately a few years ago and installed them on the original Kickr). The ride feel is really amazing. I am not huge on the road feel setting where you can feel the gravel and such in Zwift, but will turn it on for longer rides as it's a pretty cool feature and those kinds of little things can provide some mental relief and distraction on long trainer rides.

I can't recommend the Neo highly enough.
Last edited by: Walter: Jan 21, 24 3:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI - I just posted a Neo 2 for sale over in the classifieds section
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got my Kickr Core refurbished. Has worked great for 3 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice is to head over to dcrainmaker.com, read through Ray's extensive reviews and the hundreds of comments on each choice. Then based off that, it will become clearer which is your best choice.

@Kid

ETA: just noticed you mentioned you've read the reviews on dcrainmaker. Sorry, no experience with any trainer options you mentioned - well except the KK which I rode for 15 years before getting an H3 a couple years ago.
Last edited by: atkid: Jan 21, 24 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: seeking Trainer upgrade advice [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I'll save the Shimano/SRAM and Tubeless questions for when I look to replace my next bike! :) Luckily my bikes are old enough that I'm just replacing things as necessary until I decide to upgrade that!
Quote Reply
Re: seeking Trainer upgrade advice [Walter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, the comments on the side to side motion is particularly helpful. I can only imagine that with the forward/backward motion plates that would be even better!
Quote Reply
Re: seeking Trainer upgrade advice [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you - I'll put this into consideration!
Quote Reply
Re: seeking Trainer upgrade advice [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think the toughest thing is that a lot of the advice is based on pricing at one time, and those prices have changed considerably over the past couple years!
Quote Reply
Re: seeking Trainer upgrade advice [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which is where it really does come down to how much cost is a factor, and then what today's prices are. All are going to be good. Each has a 'fringe' feature the others don't which may be the clincher for you, or may just mean you get the one that matches your wallpaper....

Have fun, and enjoy what you get, don't go focussing on trying to identify the bit of the one you get Ray didn't like/called out as a negative.
Quote Reply
Re: seeking Trainer upgrade advice [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to the last, but thought I'd say thank you to all that responded. I pulled the trigger today on the Neo 2T with the free motion plates, and the trainer arrives on Friday. Pumped for the pain cave upgrade!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. Don't forget to update the firmware out the box, and from then on then it'll pretty much be forget it - no calibration, no maintenance, just get up and ride.

21,000 km of zwift on my Neo OG so far. (I was injured for a couple of years)
Quote Reply