Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Most pain you've ever been in?
Quote | Reply
The painful moments on a bike thread got me to thinking about the worst pain I've ever felt. In order of least severity here they are:

Broken collarbone post-bike crash...not too bad.
Broken collarbone post-op with titanium plate inserted...whoo boy. I was popping pain meds like pez candies
Herniated disc between L4 and L5...substantial pain that left me lying and sleeping on the floor for days, unable to stand up straight, until the doctor decided I needed to have surgery since nothing else was working. (Ya think?)

But these pale in comparison to the kidney stone I had earlier this summer. With two separate trips to the ER I was definitely in the "put a bullet in me now" level of pain. It was the first time I've ever thrown up just from pain and was very close to passing out. The worst part is there's nothing other than very strong meds that provide relief.

On a side note, I was in extreme discomfort at IMKY in 2008 that made me swear off doing another Ironman. Heat and nausea took their toll. (But I'm doing IMCOZ this year anyway).

So, how about you? What's the worst pain you've ever felt?
Quote Reply
Re: Most pain you've ever been in? [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worst pain ever was after a bike ride. After about 30 seconds under the hot water, however, the pain ebbed.
You can read about it here

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trifan wrote:
But these pale in comparison to the kidney stone I had earlier this summer. With two separate trips to the ER I was definitely in the "put a bullet in me now" level of pain. It was the first time I've ever thrown up just from pain and was very close to passing out. The worst part is there's nothing other than very strong meds that provide relief.

KINDEY STONE WITHOUT A DOUBT!!

--------------------------

"It's too dangerous and expensive to ride with d*ckheads" -tridork

Quote Reply
Re: Most pain you've ever been in? [kkoole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You win, thread closed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One night my wife made me watch The Bachelorette

---------------------------------------

http://www.tech-eez.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Abcessed tooth.
Quote Reply
Re: Most pain you've ever been in? [silentcs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Froze my feet and lost some toes. When the feet were warming up I thought I was going to die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike crash resulted in a broken thumb. I let it heal on its own. Bad move the doc had to rebreak it with his bare hands after 3 weeks of healing. The doc put a thumb on each side of the break and rocked it back and forth until it rebroke. I think a little puke came up.

I was out riding with a friend when it was only 10degree F. My chain broke 20miles from his house. He had to push me all the way home. At first I was in excruciating pain from the cold but then I became seriously delusional. I was talking crazy by the time we got back. Then the thawing out process felt like bees stinging me everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds strange... but toenail surgery. It was the surgeons 3rd attempt at the same toe (right big toe) and the local anesthetic didn't quite take hold. I felt every damn slice.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: Most pain you've ever been in? [techeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching the Bachelorette is more along the lines of mental anguish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah i had kidney stones twice. the first time i was on vacation in california and the hospital was a 45 minute drive away. i try to explain to people what theyre like but its pretty much impossible to. also my mother had kidney stones when she was pregnant and described the pain as worse than childbirth.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a kid my dad was picking up a trash pile in the woods. There was a yellow jacket nest under it. They found me, the 5 year old standing off to the side. Over 100 stings, everywhere on my body. Today that would mean a rush to the emergency room and an epi-pen. Farm country in the early 70's meant a bathtub of cold water with some baking soda in it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Most pain you've ever been in? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that happen too, but my friend and I were attacking a bush with plastic swords. Didn't see the yellowjacket hive. Heh.
Worst pain though? Not so sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Most pain you've ever been in? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was T-boned by a Jetta doing 35 out on a training ride. I broke my Tibia and fibula and some sweet cuts from being bounced off the car also was bruised throughout my whole body. Ended up in the hospital for 5 days. I felt every bit of it for a long time! Those who say that you go into shock and don't feel anything are lairs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trifan wrote:

Herniated disc between L4 and L5...substantial pain that left me lying and sleeping on the floor for days, unable to stand up straight, until the doctor decided I needed to have surgery since nothing else was working. (Ya think?)

extruded (popped) L5/LS1 Herniated L3/L4/L5

contemplated suicide (for real) spent MONTHS 'walking' and looking like i was a question mark (yes, this "?" is what i looked like!)

i remember one day being in so much pain, dragging myself to the bathroom in a 'army crawl' only as if i was paralyzed from the mid torso down.

vicadin = skittles hell with water, just chew and swallow!

bad times!

no surgery, just started doing exercises through the pain. one week every year i get knocked on my ass though with no warning.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taking my daughter to see Selena Gomez last night.

2nd is a separated shoulder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was snowboarding and came of short on a pretty big jump and hit the knuckle. The board came out from under me instantly and my ass took the full impact. I was pretty sure I crushed something in my back from the pain. It was unbearable for about 5 minutes and then hurt constantly for the next 8-12 months. Super shitty becasue it made doing pretty much any running or riding a painful experience. Re injured it a couple years later picking up a wood splitter. I can totally see what back pain patients are usually taking massive narcotics
Quote Reply
Re: Most pain you've ever been in? [fat tire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fat tire wrote:
Bike crash resulted in a broken thumb. I let it heal on its own. Bad move the doc had to rebreak it with his bare hands after 3 weeks of healing. The doc put a thumb on each side of the break and rocked it back and forth until it rebroke. I think a little puke came up.

I was out riding with a friend when it was only 10degree F. My chain broke 20miles from his house. He had to push me all the way home. At first I was in excruciating pain from the cold but then I became seriously delusional. I was talking crazy by the time we got back. Then the thawing out process felt like bees stinging me everywhere.

Ok, I'm done with this thread!
Quote Reply
Re: Most pain you've ever been in? [techeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sat through "Judge Dredd" a few days ago, was the Bachelorette as bad?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a gallbladder rupture. That was pretty bad, but waking up from surgery for it was worse. I was in extreme pain and packed in ice because of high fever from sepsis. They were loading the morphine on but it was not cutting it.

I've had migraines and an abscessed tooth so bad that suicide was looking good.

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A biopsy done where there was no pain killer. You men have no idea.

Waking up from major abdominal surgery. Yea for morphine.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post-surgery from removal of a chondrosarcoma bone tumor (7cm long) from my left distal femur. Bone graft, hardware installed. 5 hour surgery. Hospitalized for 1 week. Here's what REALLY hurt. They FORGOT to put in the catheter when I was in surgery and under the gas. At 2am the night after surgery I had the male nurse give me an ultimatum - "pee within 30 mins or we put in a catheter". I lost. He JAMMED that sucker in there, I'm fully awake now, blew a blood vessel and I've never been in so much pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a heavy foldable bench from our kitchen table drop, and pretty much crush/sever my big toe when I was about 6 yrs old. But I cant remember
any pain as bad, or as frightening as a Kidney Stone. Partly because you are not sure(on your first one) what is going on. I thought that a disc in
my lower back had somehow failed, and I was dying.
Drink Lemonade! It helps.

"Im not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde
Quote Reply
Re: Most pain you've ever been in? [pertinax4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 the most pain i can remember is coming home from a 60 mile bike ride in 18F including a stop to change a flat - the worst pain as after coming inside the house in the freezing cold shower that felt like i was burning alive ha
i used to to this all the time for an entire winter but have since given up riding in the cold although i still go out in 0F, just on XC skis now, and am hardly ever cold.
Quote Reply
Re: Most pain you've ever been in? [pertinax4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kidney stone that got stuck on the testicular nerve as it was passing. Felt like someone put my boys in a vice. This made my 2 knee surgeries and 1 ankle reconstruction feel like a nice massage in comparison.
Quote Reply

Prev Next