Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Boeing Woes [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
trail wrote:

But the fundamentals of the airframe are fine!

I know you're saying that tongue in cheek, but the airframe has been frankensteined too. Nearly all versions of the 737 have different fuselages, different wings, different engines, different horizontal stabilizers, and different vertical stabilizers. The plane is a friggin mess.

The plane itself is fine, a year from now no one will remember what a door plug is but lets hope this was the wake up they needed to ensure something this stupid never happens again.
Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
trail wrote:

I know you're saying that tongue in cheek, but the airframe has been frankensteined too. Nearly all versions of the 737 have different fuselages, different wings, different engines, different horizontal stabilizers, and different vertical stabilizers. The plane is a friggin mess.

The plane itself is fine, a year from now no one will remember what a door plug is but lets hope this was the wake up they needed to ensure something this stupid never happens again.

The plane is fine. Except for the fact that it has killed hundreds of people. At least 157 people (but likely more) due to rudder problems and another 346 people from the MCAS fraud. Yeah, all in a day's work at Boeing.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
trail wrote:

Hundreds of people died. And stupid things keep on happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
50+ wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
trail wrote:

Yes the software screw up was bad but the door plug was because some idiot didn't install it right, you can't blame the airframe for that.
Last edited by: 50+: Jan 30, 24 20:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
50+ wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
trail wrote:

Yes the software screw up was bad but the door plug was because some idiot didn't install it right, you can't blame the airframe for that.

I don't blame the airframe for that, but the root cause is the same. A management culture focused on profits over safety and engineering.
Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the news, the Exec in charge of the factory that built the jet w/the door issues . . . has been shown the door*
And a new position has been created to oversee quality control at Boeing.

*couldn't resist the pun. Unfortunate situation for him.

https://www.wsj.com/...ults_pos1&page=1
Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
In the news, the Exec in charge of the factory that built the jet w/the door issues . . . has been shown the door*
And a new position has been created to oversee quality control at Boeing.

*couldn't resist the pun. Unfortunate situation for him.

https://www.wsj.com/...ults_pos1&page=1

Most people in the industry knew this was coming. I don't know enough about the situation to know if he was the cause of the problem, or just the sacrificial lamb to get the government inspectors to calm down, but it was going to happen no matter what

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, not surprising.

Some companies try to keep these things quiet -- both the fuck up, and the consequences. Front page of WSJ isn't public, but then again neither was the incident.

Could also be signaling to the public too that Boeing's on top of addressing issues - including new overseer of quality control. They need to clear gov't scrutiny and get the public's trust back..
Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They need more than just a new QC position. They need a reset on the entire corporate culture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, at least Boeing got it exactly right in their brand-new TV spot:

https://m.youtube.com/...oCilY4szc&t=1740

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
My first construction project was an industrial wastewater treatment plant at Boeing's military aircraft division in Wichita.

I remember Boeing calling in a rep from each company to chastise us about quality.
They bragged that they do not have quality issues. They pointed out what was at risk if they had quality issues.

This morning I read that the door blew off because someone at Boeing forgot to install some bolts.

If it says boeing on it don't get on it. 737, 777, 787. And fasten your seatbelt if you do.

https://abc7chicago.com/...ew-zealand/14513460/

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Barnett was just found dead. He had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
My first construction project was an industrial wastewater treatment plant at Boeing's military aircraft division in Wichita.

I remember Boeing calling in a rep from each company to chastise us about quality.
They bragged that they do not have quality issues. They pointed out what was at risk if they had quality issues.

This morning I read that the door blew off because someone at Boeing forgot to install some bolts.

If it says boeing on it don't get on it. 737, 777, 787. And fasten your seatbelt if you do.

The 787 has a great safety record. Not perfect, but damn good. We’ll see what happened here. But, pilot error and clear-air turbulence are good possibilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:

Don't forget Starliner. NASA gave Boeing almost twice as much money as SpaceX and they still flubbed it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:

At any given time there are around 7,800-8,500 commercial aircraft in the air carrying about 1.25 million passengers , 99.9% of them will land safely. I would have no problem flying on any of them.
Last edited by: 50+: Mar 12, 24 5:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:

At any given time there are around 7,800-8,500 commercial aircraft carrying around 1.25 million passengers in the air, 99.9% of them will land safely. I would have no problem flying on any of them.

That vastly exaggerates risk, suggesting about 1 in 1000 flights crashes. This site has it at about 99.999999% . That missed crashes since 2020, of which there were maybe more than normal, so maybe the last digit has some uncertainty.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 11, 24 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
John Barnett was just found dead. He had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.

Self inflicted gunshot wound. Totally not suspicious.
Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
50+ wrote:

At any given time there are around 7,800-8,500 commercial aircraft carrying around 1.25 million passengers in the air, 99.9% of them will land safely. I would have no problem flying on any of them.

That vastly exaggerates risk, suggesting about 1 in 1000 flights crashes. This site has it at about 99.999999% . That missed crashes since 2020, of which there were maybe more than normal, so maybe the last digit has some uncertainty.

My very rough calculation has the 787 at about 2 trillion passenger miles. So far, zero crash-related fatalities.
Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

Why in the world would he decide to end his life in the middle of a deposition?? If this was in russia, we would immediately smell a rat. Like you, l'm not buying it.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

Why in the world would he decide to end his life in the middle of a deposition?? If this was in russia, we would immediately smell a rat. Like you, l'm not buying it.

If someone on the defense side was going to kill a witness, wouldn’t they do it before he gave two days of deposition testimony, including a full day of friendly questioning from the witness’ lawyer? With a dead witness, the deposition becomes admissible.
Quote Reply
Re: Boeing Woes [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2024 is just turning out to not be Boeings year

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/12/latam-airlines-flight-injuries-technical-problems-plane-drop-new-zealand-sydney-to-auckland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

If someone on the defense side was going to kill a witness, wouldn’t they do it before he gave two days of deposition testimony, including a full day of friendly questioning from the witness’ lawyer? With a dead witness, the deposition becomes admissible.

Good points. But, conversely, why in the world would he decide to end his life in the middle of a deposition, where he finally gets to say his piece as a major and vindicated whistleblower?

Something is very weird.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
ike wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

Good points. But, conversely, why in the world would he decide to end his life in the middle of a deposition, where he finally gets to say his piece as a major and vindicated whistleblower?

Something is very weird.

No idea what sort of emotional strain he was under. I could imagine he felt that his work was done in terms of exposing Boeing — the world knows. And, beyond that, he couldn’t handle it. Two solid days of questioning can be rough for some people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've given a deposition. Hard to figure out what would be so stressful unless one was a suspect in a crime. Especially compared to the stress that the whistleblower already underwent.

In any case, all seems very fishy.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I've given a deposition. Hard to figure out what would be so stressful unless one was a suspect in a crime. Especially compared to the stress that the whistleblower already underwent.

In any case, all seems very fishy.

Yes, tragic and strange. I read that he lives in Louisiana. So, he brought a gun with him to South Carolina? Not sure if that says something about his state of mind.

I have taken a huge number of depositions. Some of the deponents appeared a little down afterward, but never seemed suicidal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next