Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets
Quote | Reply
I've probably watched 20-something series or episodes about cults, primarily U.S. based, most of which I've never heard of, and the common thread is charismatic leader claiming to have a personal connection to God, receiving revelations, and demanding unyielding loyalty to them as commanded by God. Obviously that can lead to bad outcomes. Yet in every one of these religions-based cults, they cite scripture that, to the followers, reinforces their obligation to follow and commit whatever God commands of them. And consistently, they follow, over and over and over again. I'm currently watching a Hulu series called Cult Justice, which dedicates an hour or so to different cult cases that have ended up typically in child abuse and murder, and have been successfully prosecuted. It's a fascinating series and leaves you with more questions than answers (and a whole lot of rage over parents not protecting their children), but it did bring to mind a question that I hadn't considered before.

Is there a scriptural firewall of sorts, where a functionally literate person who isn't familiar with the finer points of scripture could read a passage or passages from the Bible and be reasonably certain that a religious zealot is acting in bad faith, absent obvious signs of bad faith behavior? In other words, if a preacher says God speaks directly to him and has commanded X, and X seems reasonable and not in literal conflict with scripture, even if unconventional (give up worldly possessions, put their faith above disapproving family, etc.) how does a follower protect themselves against these people when the Bible itself holds up people who today we'd deem crazy as true followers of God, canonized for all of eternity?

TL:DR, there are endless scriptures bad faith conmen can use to manipulate seekers; which scriptures protect against them?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got nothing in the books, but how about:

Since the Devil is God, simply accuse the cult leader out as the devil God and call in an accomplished exorcist at a nominal charge payable to the Holy See to cast the devil out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Is there a scriptural firewall of sorts, where a functionally literate person who isn't familiar with the finer points of scripture could read a passage or passages from the Bible and be reasonably certain that a religious zealot is acting in bad faith, absent obvious signs of bad faith behavior?

TL:DR, there are endless scriptures bad faith conmen can use to manipulate seekers; which scriptures protect against them?

When you have a conclusion and then go searching for scriptural justification for that conclusion you just find the parts that seem to apply, or if you squint real hard can be made to apply, and ignore the parts that don't. Along the same lines of how prophecy works. Since the Bible contains such a menagerie of varied writings produced over hundreds of years the believer will always find something to support their claims (I'm sure today's prosperity preachers probably even have Jesus supporting their message).

I can't see how there would be any one statement that totally disproves the false prophets claims unless of course, that's what you're looking for.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Apr 3, 24 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Example Jehovah's witness predictions. They predicted end of world via exact years multiple times, and those years passing by they are still convinced they are following the correct prophet. This is done by guilt trips done by fellow members, especially family
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect example. Where in scripture can followers look to be convinced they’re being conned…or simply misled by a good faith zealot who got it wrong.

The balance of scripture seems to heavily favor the deceivers. If not entirely.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I've probably watched 20-something series or episodes about cults, primarily U.S. based, most of which I've never heard of, and the common thread is charismatic leader claiming to have a personal connection to God, receiving revelations, and demanding unyielding loyalty to them as commanded by God. Obviously that can lead to bad outcomes. Yet in every one of these religions-based cults, they cite scripture that, to the followers, reinforces their obligation to follow and commit whatever God commands of them. And consistently, they follow, over and over and over again. I'm currently watching a Hulu series called Cult Justice, which dedicates an hour or so to different cult cases that have ended up typically in child abuse and murder, and have been successfully prosecuted. It's a fascinating series and leaves you with more questions than answers (and a whole lot of rage over parents not protecting their children), but it did bring to mind a question that I hadn't considered before.

Is there a scriptural firewall of sorts, where a functionally literate person who isn't familiar with the finer points of scripture could read a passage or passages from the Bible and be reasonably certain that a religious zealot is acting in bad faith, absent obvious signs of bad faith behavior? In other words, if a preacher says God speaks directly to him and has commanded X, and X seems reasonable and not in literal conflict with scripture, even if unconventional (give up worldly possessions, put their faith above disapproving family, etc.) how does a follower protect themselves against these people when the Bible itself holds up people who today we'd deem crazy as true followers of God, canonized for all of eternity?

Argh, a real and age old problem.

This deception happens to those who don't know God's word. Sadly, ignorance leaves one susceptible to all kinds of scams, including cultic ones.

In the OT, Jeremiah complained of this exact issue to God in Jeremiah 23. God's response (in sum) was: 1) I'm aware of the false prophets; and 2) the proper response is to know God's word, which is: a) in sharp contrast to the deceitful false prophets ("What has straw in common with wheat?", v.28); and b) itself very powerful (compared to a "fire" and "hammer", v. 29). Reader's note: Note how this chapter contrasts "what the prophets say" v. "declares the LORD".

23 “Am I a God at hand, declares the Lord, and not a God far away? 24 Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord. 25 I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in my name, saying, ‘I have dreamed, I have dreamed!’ 26 How long shall there be lies in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies, and who prophesy the deceit of their own heart, 27 who think to make my people forget my name by their dreams that they tell one another, even as their fathers forgot my name for Baal? 28 Let the prophet who has a dream tell the dream, but let him who has my word speak my word faithfully. What has straw in common with wheat? declares the Lord. 29 Is not my word like fire, declares the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces? 30 Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, declares the Lord, who steal my words from one another. 31 Behold, I am against the prophets, declares the Lord, who use their tongues and declare, ‘declares the Lord.’ 32 Behold, I am against those who prophesy lying dreams, declares the Lord, and who tell them and lead my people astray by their lies and their recklessness, when I did not send them or charge them. So they do not profit this people at all, declares the Lord.

Likewise, in the NT, Paul (as he's departing from the Church in Ephesus) (Acts 20) warns them that after he departs "fierce wolves" (v.29) will come and the proper guard is to know "the whole counsel of God" (v.27) and God's word (v.32, 35).

25 And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again. 26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all, 27 for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God. 28 Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God,[e] which he obtained with his own blood.[f] 29 I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30 and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. 31 Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish every one with tears. 32 And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified. 33 I coveted no one's silver or gold or apparel. 34 You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my necessities and to those who were with me. 35 In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

Last edited by: TriFloyd: Apr 3, 24 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sincere question. What do you believe God does with all of those who consume and act out in response to these wolves, false prophets? And don’t repent because they don’t think they need to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is indeed the same thought I had. You don't spend your time worrying about the teaching of the false prophet so much as you learn and make the true teachings a part of your life to the extent you can then know the false teachings in front of you.

As kids we were given an example of US Treasury Agents. We were told when they were learning to spot counterfeit money, they did not study all the ways a counterfeiter would try and duplicate the real dollar. Instead, all they did was sit down and memorize and study every inch of the real dollar so they could quickly see anything that was counterfeit. That is what Christians are supposed to do in order to recognize false teachings.

No idea if Treasury agents are really trained like that but it makes a good point,
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is an opinion out there....

Intelligent people use their intelligence to justify their emotional behavior.

Stupid people justify their emotional behavior with their stupid thinking.

Bottom line - if you influence peoples emotions, you will influence the "truths" their thought processes uncover.

This is as true in cult bible study, as it is MIT astrophysics..
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Apr 3, 24 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

Recent topical example is the expose on Stanford Professor/Research Andrew Huberman - who has developed a second career as a bro-science podcaster pimping supplements among other things. Clearly very smart. But also has clearly enjoyed developing a cult-like following of people who latch onto his "optimization protocols."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Sincere question. What do you believe God does with all of those who consume and act out in response to these wolves, false prophets? And don’t repent because they don’t think they need to.

To enter into the Kingdom of God, God calls all to hear His word and believe/repent (Mt. 4: 17; Mk: 1 14-15).

Unrepentance could be because any number of reasons. For example, one hears God's word and rejects it. Alternatively, one ignores God's word and believes someone who falsely proclaims God's word.

I'm not sure, but it seems like you're implying ignorance (and subsequent deception) should be a mitigating factor.

In my day job, I'm an attorney. It is an axiom of law that "Ignorance of the law is no defense." The law does not reward ignorance. Thus, to me it would be strange if someone who ignores God's word, then is deceived (e.g., out of ignorance) by someone who falsely preaches God's word, then subsequently received a lighter sentence than another person who otherwise heard/knew God's word and rejected it.

If anything, this issue is a charge to Christians to zealously preach God's word. Note: God's response to Jeremiah in his complaint was to tell Jeremiah [paraphrasing]: a) stop worrying about the false prophets; and b) do your job (i.e., preach God's word). "Let the prophet who has a dream tell the dream, but let him who has my word speak my word faithfully." (Jer. 23: 28)
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

This is as true in cult bible study, as it is MIT astrophysics..

This is an excellent point. I stated above, "Sadly, ignorance leaves one susceptible to all kinds of scams, including cultic ones." But, you hit it harder and stated it better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
if a preacher says God speaks directly to him and has commanded X, and X seems reasonable and not in literal conflict with scripture, even if unconventional (give up worldly possessions, put their faith above disapproving family, etc.) how does a follower protect themselves against these people

I think the easiest way without needing to dig deeply into Scripture (although I highly recommend it) is to listen to what the person says is the requirement(s) demanded. The Old Testament says 10%. (Google... Tithing)

The requirement that Jesus commands in the New Testament is that we love one another as ourselves - in His name. He mentions specifics regarding each other, and the sick, poor, hurt, naked, imprisoned, widows, orphans as examples. How I/we accomplish this is up to us, not another individual or distinct leader.
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Recent topical example is the expose on Stanford Professor/Research Andrew Huberman - who has developed a second career as a bro-science podcaster pimping supplements among other things. Clearly very smart. But also has clearly enjoyed developing a cult-like following of people who latch onto his "optimization protocols."

I thought about posting something about that story a couple of days ago. I only ever listened to a few of his podcasts. The guy is pretty loose and fast with the science behind some of his recommendations (telling people they need to do this or that based on some rat study is borderline charlatan territory).

It sounds like he was using his intelligence/status to deceive and manipulate multiple women, not sure if that was to justify his emotional behavior or just because he's a shitty person. I watched a reporter who had dealings with him before he was famous through his new found fame and he painted a picture of pretty crappy person who gets off on manipulating other people.

Speaking of big podcasters, I saw where Lex Fridman of course jumped into defend him because he's never met a famous person that he's willing to be critical of. I'm surprised he hasn't had Putin on his podcast yet.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Apr 3, 24 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Example Jehovah's witness predictions. They predicted end of world via exact years multiple times, and those years passing by they are still convinced they are following the correct prophet. This is done by guilt trips done by fellow members, especially family

This is an excellent example. People from all ages have predicted the end of the world/Jesus's coming. People from all ages have believed those who make these predictions. Phil Ryken (in a book I have at home) has many good particular examples of this. Books on the topic sellout, people sell their belongings, etc. Yet, the Bible informs us multiple times to not do this. For example, Jesus teaches, "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." (Mt. 24: 36). Still, the desire to know this is so great that even the disciples ask the recently risen Jesus, "Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?" Jesus admonishes them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority" (Acts 1: 6-7). After Jesus rises in the Ascension, while the disciples were still looking up into the sky, the angel warns them (paraphrasing), "Don't be stargazers but get to the work of the Kingdom of God" (Acts 1: 11).

Yet, despite all that, we (like the disciples) continue to ignore God's word and are captured by the allure of stargazing at the cost of neglecting the Kingdom of God.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cults, gangs, and the like have the common thread of taking advantage of people down on their luck that are in need of belonging. You can call it belong spiritually for a cult or brotherhood for gangs. They prey on people already more predisposed to give in due to being vulnerable.

These documentaries often IMO don't do a good job of making that point. They just show the story of the present day person who escaped and now appears to have their shit together and is "normal". They never focus too much on what personal issues that person had at the time to make them vulnerable to join such groups.

If you want some fellowship and aren't vulnerable in life you seek healthy outlets. Outreach programs seek to try to intervene in the predatory recruiting by instead of healthy outlets generally seeking and acquiring healthy individuals, they seek out unhealthy ones so that they claim them in fellowship instead of a gang.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate your posts here, first one in particular.

Quote:
Unrepentance could be because any number of reasons. For example, one hears God's word and rejects it. Alternatively, one ignores God's word and believes someone who falsely proclaims God's word.

This seems to be the logic trap many of these cult victims find themselves unable to entangle themselves from. When you're hearing God's word from a trusted source, and it shocks the mind and conscience but has Biblical backing (from the mouth of the wolf, in the mind of the sheep), how do you reject it?

One of the episodes featured a boy, now a man, who was convinced by their Pastor, that his younger sister, age 2 at the time of her death, was a demon and had to be treated as such. Beaten mercilessly because she was not human, but evil incarnate. Not possessed by a demon, but a demon herself. This belief was reinforced by his own mother and other adults in the church. It took him years, adulthood actually, to come to the acceptance that she was not, in fact, a demon but his helpless baby sister who was the target of malicious abuse.

More on this point later, getting called to work while working...the nerve of these people

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I appreciate your posts here, first one in particular.

Quote:

This seems to be the logic trap many of these cult victims find themselves unable to entangle themselves from. When you're hearing God's word from a trusted source, and it shocks the mind and conscience but has Biblical backing (from the mouth of the wolf, in the mind of the sheep), how do you reject it?

One of the episodes featured a boy, now a man, who was convinced by their Pastor, that his younger sister, age 2 at the time of her death, was a demon and had to be treated as such. Beaten mercilessly because she was not human, but evil incarnate. Not possessed by a demon, but a demon herself. This belief was reinforced by his own mother and other adults in the church. It took him years, adulthood actually, to come to the acceptance that she was not, in fact, a demon but his helpless baby sister who was the target of malicious abuse.

More on this point later, getting called to work while working...the nerve of these people

To some extent, you have to look at this like anything else. Why do you trust the source in front of you? It doesn't matter if it's scripture, ideology, medicine, physics, etc. If you're relying on a single human source with unquestioning trust, you're leaving yourself open to getting it wrong. If you're relying on a single source, when every other source tells you something else, then you're willfully increasing that risk.

In your example, there's likely nothing in scripture that could have served as a bulwark, because the man in question was a young boy when the adults around him led him astray. A child is supposed to be able to trust the adults in his life, and isn't in a position to read and understand scripture, and then push back against those trusted figures. But for adults,...get a second opinion. And a third. If the people telling you something don't want you to ask someone else, that's suspect. If the people telling you something are out of line with multiple other sources that seem to be accepted authorities, that's suspect.

This is like a scientific or medical study. Many people are unable to read a study and draw informed conclusions based on education level or experience or training or just base intelligence. They don't understand the methodology, or terminology, or the mechanisms at play well enough. That makes it easy to lie to them about what conclusions to draw. And you might not be able to point to a specific passage from the study to set them straight. But you can point them to numerous experts and authoritative sources.

Unfortunately, this is just an aspect of human nature.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
WannaB wrote:

To enter into the Kingdom of God, God calls all to hear His word and believe/repent (Mt. 4: 17; Mk: 1 14-15).

I'm not sure, but it seems like you're implying ignorance (and subsequent deception) should be a mitigating factor.

In my day job, I'm an attorney. It is an axiom of law that "Ignorance of the law is no defense." The law does not reward ignorance. Thus, to me it would be strange if someone who ignores God's word, then is deceived (e.g., out of ignorance) by someone who falsely preaches God's word, then subsequently received a lighter sentence than another person who otherwise heard/knew God's word and rejected it.

If anything, this issue is a charge to Christians to zealously preach God's word. Note: God's response to Jeremiah in his complaint was to tell Jeremiah [paraphrasing]: a) stop worrying about the false prophets; and b) do your job (i.e., preach God's word). "Let the prophet who has a dream tell the dream, but let him who has my word speak my word faithfully." (Jer. 23: 28)

Acknowledged. And that was the root of my question. I understand the individual responsibility to know/share/live the word as written. I struggle with the wide range of subjective interpretation that can exist, and how folks can deeply believe they have interpreted something correctly, or put their trust in a person/belief in someone who interprets it for them.

A more rational example, as opposed to cult, in my mind is the disagreement over gender/sexuality doctrine in United Methodists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:
WannaB wrote:

Acknowledged. And that was the root of my question. I understand the individual responsibility to know/share/live the word as written. I struggle with the wide range of subjective interpretation that can exist, and how folks can deeply believe they have interpreted something correctly, or put their trust in a person/belief in someone who interprets it for them.

A more rational example, as opposed to cult, in my mind is the disagreement over gender/sexuality doctrine in United Methodists.

If someone claimed that the faith practice of the last 3,500 years had been wrong all along, my spidey senses would be tingling. Especially if the claim just happens to mirror the current culture.

The Jewish Christians of the first century were hesitant to relinquish their lifelong adherence to the dietary restrictions in the Law, but it was made clear through Jesus' own words and Peter's vision that they were no longer binding under the new covenant. I am not aware of any of Jesus' teachings that could conceivably be interpreted to loosen the moral strictures on sexual sins given in the Law. Those did not change.
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [TMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:
If someone claimed that the faith practice of the last 3,500 years had been wrong all along, my spidey senses would be tingling. Especially if the claim just happens to mirror the current culture..

See Galileo vs. Catholic Church
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
TMI wrote:
If someone claimed that the faith practice of the last 3,500 years had been wrong all along, my spidey senses would be tingling. Especially if the claim just happens to mirror the current culture..

See Galileo vs. Catholic Church

I won't send you on a fool's errand to find any NT teaching that declares that the universe revolves around the Earth - there isn't any.

What recent scientific discovery do you think should reverse Christian practice? What exactly are you worshiping?
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [TMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:
What recent scientific discovery do you think should reverse Christian practice? What exactly are you worshiping?

None. I read scripture and I go to service. I am just commenting that while I say Tomayto, you say Tomahto…based on as you say, your “spidey senses”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't there somewhere that Jesus say that many will come after me claiming they are me but don't trust them etc ? People who are lonely are relatively easy to influence with acceptance, fear and hope.
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
To some extent, you have to look at this like anything else. Why do you trust the source in front of you? It doesn't matter if it's scripture, ideology, medicine, physics, etc. If you're relying on a single human source with unquestioning trust, you're leaving yourself open to getting it wrong. If you're relying on a single source, when every other source tells you something else, then you're willfully increasing that risk.

And yet this is often how people settle on a specific chruch within a specific branch of a specific religion, right, by filtering through beliefs and concepts and practices shared by millions until you find one in particular that speaks to you subjectively as truth, and rejecting all the others as less so, generally speaking.

That isn't how it works in science and medicine, where it's fairly easy to figure out if your doctor is a quack or practicing EBM by the guidelines. You may sift through dozens before you find one that feels right to you in terms of credentials and personality, but objective truth is generally available to anyone seeking it.

More on topic, are there scriptures that specifically address the issue of modern day prophets, either leaving open or eliminating the possibility? I've read the false prophet verses, but they don't really speak to it beyond warning, from what I've read.

Quote Reply

Prev Next