Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
TMI wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TMI wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
If God really existed, we would see evidence of it/him/her. Well, let me rephrase that: because there is no actual evidence of God, ALL religions have to create a clever narrative for why we can never see, hear or touch god. Collectively, this points more towards god being a human construct.

I have been listening to an excellent docu-series called The Surprising Rebirth of Belief in God. It chronicles the rise and fall of the New Atheist movement and interviews several important thinkers who are reconsidering Christianity. It's worth a listen if you have any interest at all in finding out if Christianity could be true.

https://justinbrierley.com/surprisingrebirth/

Interesting, it seems like every time I see anything about this the numbers are still climbing in the US for the percentage of people leaving churches, Christianity, religion.

Seems like Mormonism is the sect that I see referenced as growing?

Google Fu results.

Seems like before there's an uptick you'd likely see a stop in the slide. Not sure if there is more recent data.

https://www.pewresearch.org/...d-in-recent-decades/

This series is focused on the intellectual vacuum left by the implosion of the New Atheist movement and on how serious thinkers are reexamining both the existence of God and the case for Christianity.

I'd usually recommend starting with the first episode, but you've mentioned your position about the lack of evidence for God, so maybe Episode 9 might pique your curiosity. It contains conversations with two individuals and what evidence finally convinced them to believe.

Let's be honest about what this means though. The self-proclaimed 4 Horsemen of the New Atheism movement were for the most part kind of dicks. Toss in a healthy dose of misogyny. Add some ethnic hatred and a lot of aggressive tactics and people got tired of them. They acted much like the fundamentalist religious preachers they loved to bash.

That does not mean people are returning to a belief in the supernatural. To the contrary. The numbers of those who claim no belief in a divine being continue to grow.

I listened to a lot of that stuff back in the day and while I'll agree Dawkins and Hitchens could be dicks, I don't remember ever getting the impression of misogyny or ethnic hatred? Then again, I can't remember ever hearing much if anything from Dennett so it's not like I have complete knowledge of the views they put forth.

This goes over part of it - https://qz.com/...cas-atheism-movement

And they really liked to pile on anti-Islamic discussion that kind of bled over into anti-Arab adjacent discussions.

While I agree with a lot of what they say, they could be very difficult men to have a conversation with. Hitchens especially from my POV.

Harris just had a guy on a couple of times that revisited the Islam issues, which seemed to have been put on the back burner for the most part. Basically came down to "Sam, you put too much emphasis on the bad ideas in Islam, most Muslims are just good people when you meet them." Harris, "You know in surveys a ridiculously large percentage of Muslims support those bad ideas, almost certainly some of your friends hold views that you find abhorrent." Ad nauseum. One guy playing up the awful aspects of Islam, the other guy playing them down. It got boring.
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I feel like this is a great and overlooked selling point for Mormonism.

“There are four divisions in the afterlife. The Lake of Fire is reserved for the Devil, his demons, and those who commit the unpardonable sin. The Telestial Kingdom is where the wicked go. It is a place of suffering but not like the Lake of Fire. Most people go to the Telestial Kingdom where they are offered salvation again. The lukewarm-not quite good, not quite evil-go to the Terrestrial Kingdom when they die. This Kingdom is located on a distant planet in the universe. The Celestial Kingdom is for the righteous. Here God’s people live forever in God’s presence. We will live as gods and live with our spouses and continue to procreate. This is the aim and the end of Mormon salvation.”

So all the bonafide assholes go to hell, the religious zealots go to heaven, and the rest of us get our own freaking planet! Why am I just now hearing about this??

Literally had the same exact thought. I might answer the door now and have a chat.

Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
sphere wrote:

“There are four divisions in the afterlife. The Lake of Fire is reserved for the Devil, his demons, and those who commit the unpardonable sin. The Telestial Kingdom is where the wicked go. It is a place of suffering but not like the Lake of Fire. Most people go to the Telestial Kingdom where they are offered salvation again. The lukewarm-not quite good, not quite evil-go to the Terrestrial Kingdom when they die. This Kingdom is located on a distant planet in the universe. The Celestial Kingdom is for the righteous. Here God’s people live forever in God’s presence. We will live as gods and live with our spouses and continue to procreate. This is the aim and the end of Mormon salvation.”

So all the bonafide assholes go to hell, the religious zealots go to heaven, and the rest of us get our own freaking planet! Why am I just now hearing about this??

Literally had the same exact thought. I might answer the door now and have a chat.

No zealots!
No bonafide assholes!

That's a considerable improvement.

What then?

Will God and Satan keep siffoning off zealots and assholes.

Will we be left with a constantly improving cohort of reasonable people?

Occasionally I think about all of the people's and cultures that have been exterminated by the rise of murderous warlords, religious fanatics, despots, genocidal capitalists- i.e. the the historical foundations of Western Europe, American, Japan.

I think of those people who have been exterminated living in a world without Christian fanatics, Scientific atheist bastards, corrupt businessman and politicians.

I wonder....
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
TMI wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TMI wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
If God really existed, we would see evidence of it/him/her. Well, let me rephrase that: because there is no actual evidence of God, ALL religions have to create a clever narrative for why we can never see, hear or touch god. Collectively, this points more towards god being a human construct.

I have been listening to an excellent docu-series called The Surprising Rebirth of Belief in God. It chronicles the rise and fall of the New Atheist movement and interviews several important thinkers who are reconsidering Christianity. It's worth a listen if you have any interest at all in finding out if Christianity could be true.

https://justinbrierley.com/surprisingrebirth/

Interesting, it seems like every time I see anything about this the numbers are still climbing in the US for the percentage of people leaving churches, Christianity, religion.

Seems like Mormonism is the sect that I see referenced as growing?

Google Fu results.

Seems like before there's an uptick you'd likely see a stop in the slide. Not sure if there is more recent data.

https://www.pewresearch.org/...d-in-recent-decades/

This series is focused on the intellectual vacuum left by the implosion of the New Atheist movement and on how serious thinkers are reexamining both the existence of God and the case for Christianity.

I'd usually recommend starting with the first episode, but you've mentioned your position about the lack of evidence for God, so maybe Episode 9 might pique your curiosity. It contains conversations with two individuals and what evidence finally convinced them to believe.

I’ll give it a listen. Wasn’t Christopher Hitchens one of the primary drivers of it? I’d think his death would have a lot to do with it. It does seem like that was a brief period of pushing atheism that has faded. I listen to Sam Harris’ podcast and it hardly ever gets mentioned except in passing.

OK, I listened to the first guy. He said absolutely nothing* that would dissuade me from being an atheist, let alone think Christianity is the one true religion. You've got a guy that sounds like he was basically a nature spiritualist, a Buddhist, and even into Wiccan that then ends up a Christian, essentially because he feels it to be true, that God is talking to him, that there is magic and enchantment in nature which is evidence of the divine (I don't think he actually said that but that's the impression I got). I'm still where I was before listing to it which is that someone subjectively feeling something to be true has no bearing on it being true or not.

*He did make some good points about the spiritual void left by modern materialism which frankly I think should make Christianity appealing to many people, but as far as I'm aware, the trends are going in the opposite direction.

OK, listened to the second guy while at the gym. I'm not sure either of these guys were ever atheists that converted to Christianity, especially this guy. But that's neither really here nor there. This guy had a 15-20 second experience in the woods, and then started dreaming about Jesus. OK, that's great for him, but similarly as unconvincing as the first guy.

I appreciate that for you and many others this sort of testimony is evidence of the existence of the supernatural, and even the Christian God in particular. I can only think you've not listened to the arguments of people like Harris, Dawkins, Hitchens, etc. if you think that is the sort of evidence that would move an atheist or agnostic of that stripe in the direction of being a Christian.

I'd also add there was nothing really intellectual about their positions, basically just saying I experienced this, this is what I feel is true, etc.

What are the odds that two guys in the English Isles find Jesus and both end up in Eastern Orthodox Churches?

What moves the needle will be different for each person. IIRC, you once suggested you wanted to see a person’s amputated limb reconstituted before your eyes as evidence of a god.

On another occasion, Brierley was interviewing UK atheist scientist Peter Atkins on his latest book. Brierley eventually pressed Atkins on what kind of evidence it would take for him to believe in a god. When asked if Jesus were to appear to him, Atkins said he would believe he was having a brain seizure. When asked if the stars were to align and spell out a message “Peter, it’s me, God. Believe in me,” Atkins replied that he would believe it was some sort of alien technology at work.

I agree that, as you said, “someone subjectively feeling something to be true has no bearing on it being true or not.” When I listened to Kingsnorth’s and Shaw’s experiences, I saw cause and effect. When they prayed, they received answers. If you ask for a sign, and you get one, will you respond as Shaw or Atkins?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
TL:DR, there are endless scriptures bad faith conmen can use to manipulate seekers; which scriptures protect against them?

This assumes that the Bible itself was not the work of a cult.

The way I look at it, if Jesus was the son of God, then he was not a cult leader.

If he wasn't, then either he was a cult leader, or someone used his story to drive their cult. Perhaps the cult grew into a benign well intentioned religion religion over the following 2,000 years, but the source material would still be based upon a cult.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know my thoughts on this generally.

At the meta analysis level, philosophies are a matter of opinion and religions are a matter of truth or fiction. In my view they’re all fiction, but some are objectively more problematic than others. So my OP question wasn’t asking how to separate truth from fiction but rather how does the Bible protect seekers from falling prey to covert malignant actors who would bend the “truth” of God’s word to their own will. So far it seems the answer to that question is, it doesn’t and can’t.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [TMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:
I agree that, as you said, “someone subjectively feeling something to be true has no bearing on it being true or not.” When I listened to Kingsnorth’s and Shaw’s experiences, I saw cause and effect. When they prayed, they received answers. If you ask for a sign, and you get one, will you respond as Shaw or Atkins?

Almost certainly not because the signs these people receive are ambiguous and could be nothing but a coincidence or even brought about by their psychological state.

Let's say I reach a psychological state where I feel the need to pray to the Christian God for some reason or another. And then I have a dream about Jesus, or something fortuitous happens in my life, etc.

I mean would it be really that odd to dream about Jesus when I'm in a place where I've resorted to praying to God, good stuff (and bad stuff) just happens to people all the time, why would I attribute some meaning to it happening this time when I never did before?

It all just seems like the smile on a dog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't try to rationalize the irrational.

The difference between a cult and a religion is some cults survive the death of their conman 'leader' and become religions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:

Let me ask you this, if everything about these two guys' story was the same except it was Islam they had converted to, would you still see the same cause and effect?

Surely you'll concede there are conversion stories in that direction that for all intents and purposes mirror these conversion stories.
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
sphere wrote:

I think you also get 72 Mormon virgins on your new planet if you are a straight white male.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
So far it seems the answer to that question is, it doesn’t and can’t.

This is an interesting response. Let's assume--arguendo, as we've been doing--that the Bible is true and that God is true. In that sense, like any true system, it acts (itself) on a check on itself. IOW, "it" can and "it" does. But, to inure the benefit of "it" you need to avail yourself of "it". You need to use those built-in checks; and if you don't then you can fall prey to falsities.

Let's say a 7th grade math teacher, and some nefarious 7th grader Bobby wants to sway fellow students. He goes to them in secret and persuades them of the new "Bobby" math. If/when those students just listen to Bobby and don't concur with the math teacher, read the math book or do actual math problems to see their wrong conclusions using Bobby math, then yes, they will fail the test. Yet, to state that there is no check on the system is not really true. It's true to state that they didn't properly avail themselves of the checks. If the parents of the failed students go to the math teacher and complain, then her response is rightly: the check on the system was: a) true math; and b) the math textbook; and c) the math teacher; none of which Bobby's targets bothered to avail themselves of. Instead, they went exclusively to Bobby. We have concluded multiple times together in this thread that the Bible is like many topics, to the ignorant (who don't avail themselves of the available checks) they are susceptible prey. Yet, that does not expose a problem with the subject material, but with the object prey.
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
sphere wrote:
So far it seems the answer to that question is, it doesn’t and can’t.

This is an interesting response. Let's assume--arguendo, as we've been doing--that the Bible is true and that God is true. In that sense, like any true system, it acts (itself) on a check on itself. IOW, "it" can and "it" does. But, to inure the benefit of "it" you need to avail yourself of "it". You need to use those built-in checks; and if you don't then you can fall prey to falsities.

Let's say a 7th grade math teacher, and some nefarious 7th grader Bobby wants to sway fellow students. He goes to them in secret and persuades them of the new "Bobby" math. If/when those students just listen to Bobby and don't concur with the math teacher, read the math book or do actual math problems to see their wrong conclusions using Bobby math, then yes, they will fail the test. Yet, to state that there is no check on the system is not really true. It's true to state that they didn't properly avail themselves of the checks. If the parents of the failed students go to the math teacher and complain, then her response is rightly: the check on the system was: a) true math; and b) the math textbook; and c) the math teacher; none of which Bobby's targets bothered to avail themselves of. Instead, they went exclusively to Bobby. We have concluded multiple times together in this thread that the Bible is like many topics, to the ignorant (who don't avail themselves of the available checks) they are susceptible prey. Yet, that does not expose a problem with the subject material, but with the object prey.

But aren’t you assuming that the checks are equally verifiable? The math checks can be proved, but the Bible “checks” are merely your interpretation (though I understand your beliefs and “superior knowledge” suggest you are 100% right).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Almost certainly not

On what basis do you lean toward that conclusion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
TMI wrote:

Let me ask you this, if everything about these two guys' story was the same except it was Islam they had converted to, would you still see the same cause and effect?

Surely you'll concede there are conversion stories in that direction that for all intents and purposes mirror these conversion stories.

It has been reported for years now that Muslims are seeing visions of Jesus during the month of Ramadan that results in people converting to Christianity. YMMV
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

But aren’t you assuming that the checks are equally verifiable? The math checks can be proved, but the Bible “checks” are merely your interpretation (though I understand your beliefs and “superior knowledge” suggest you are 100% right).

It depends on what you're asking. If you're asking to violate the arguendo agreement of this discussion, then no comment, since this whole discussion is clothed in arguendo convention. If asking about math verifiables v. Bible verfiables, then it depends. There are levels of math just like there are levels of Bible questions. And the more basic questions of math or Bible teaching or whatever the more inversely greater your risk of the cost of being lead astray. In you got the Trinity wrong, it's easily verifiable and the the cost is probably greater than if you got some nuanced doctrinal issue (e.g., Supralapsarianism) wrong. Similarly, unless your building bridges, it's OK to get lead astray on Calculus IV level stuff, but less OK (and easier to verify) if you couldn't get the right change for $20 at the grocery store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Almost certainly not

On what basis do you lean toward that conclusion?

#1 Because I'm a rationalist skeptic.

#2 I'm aware that people have and I have had both what might be called unusual and transcendent experiences and they didn't budge me one iota towards believing in the supernatural, let alone believing in some kind of God, let alone being a Christian.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Apr 5, 24 23:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TMI wrote:

It has been reported for years now that Muslims are seeing visions of Jesus during the month of Ramadan that results in people converting to Christianity. YMMV

I'm sure, but that's beside the point. Is it your contention that no one who coverts to a religion other than Christianity has a similar sort of conversion experience that essentially provides the same sort of evidence you're citing?

If you really think about it I think you'll find that you understand my position because it's the same one you have towards other religions than Christianity, you just make an exception that I don't.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Apr 5, 24 23:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:

How do you determine what is a false religion or a true religion? Are you using a set of criteria to evaluate the religions defining characteristics? Christianity is based heavily on religions that existed prior to it. What is to say it is a true religion?

Great question. I would use God's word..

Which god? There have been thousands of gods through history. Many existing before the rise of Christianity and many after. Much of Christian scripture was taken from prior religious texts. How can Christianity be a true religion when it borrowed most of its core tenets from religions that came before it?

That was kind of a circular response from TriFloyd. You can't really logically answer the question "How do you know which religion is true (i.e. which is the real god)?" by answering, "I'd go to my God's word for the answer."

I disagree with your "(i.e., which is the real god)". I took it to mean, (i.e., which religion actually corresponds to God's word). I think my interpretation is better because Sphere set up the initial problem as cult or false religions. Normally, when people ask that question, they see people being swayed by religions that present themselves as "Christian", and use certain biblical passages to support that. But, they are just a little off. Other posts in the thread buttress this view.

In this way, the whole discussion was "Arguendo". IOW, Sphere was asking (assuming as fact, for the sake for argument, that the Bible and its God are true) how does one determine a false religion? In fact, he asks for a "scriptural firewall" or passages of Scripture to guard against this. He reinforces this "arguendo" when he asks (in Post #4), "Perfect example. Where in Scripture can followers look ..." Thus, he set up (and reinforced) the question as "I don't want to get into a discussion here about whether the Bible is true or the God of the Bible is real; let's just assume, arguendo, that they are."
Most posters got this. Slowman (in our fun back-and-forth) even expressly stated something like "for the sake of argument" a few times, for which I expressly thanked him.

Thus, when Kay or Trieatalot jump in to change the thread to an apology on whether God is true, they are changing the course of Sphere's thread. Fine, that's a common LR thing to hijack a thread. But, it does constitute a hijack, which is why I didn't respond to Kay or Trieatalot. Otherwise, normally, I love talking about apologetics.

If the thread has run its course, then OK, let's have some apologia fun. I just was taking issue with your allegation of me using circular logic. Arguendo discussions are not circular. In symbolic logic, it is setting up a premise/given, which is not later proven.

It’s possible we read the question differently. Since Sphere specifically cited non-Christian religions, such as those that preceded Christianity, I read it as broader than just determining which sects or denominations within the Christian umbrella were closest to God’s word. If he had used different language like “which church” or “which sect” I would have not had the same issue with your answer.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:

How do you determine what is a false religion or a true religion? Are you using a set of criteria to evaluate the religions defining characteristics? Christianity is based heavily on religions that existed prior to it. What is to say it is a true religion?

Which god? There have been thousands of gods through history. Many existing before the rise of Christianity and many after. Much of Christian scripture was taken from prior religious texts. How can Christianity be a true religion when it borrowed most of its core tenets from religions that came before it?

That was kind of a circular response from TriFloyd. You can't really logically answer the question "How do you know which religion is true (i.e. which is the real god)?" by answering, "I'd go to my God's word for the answer."

If only we could sit down and have a straight talk with Abraham, I am sure we could get this real God thing right. Somehow I don't think that the man who went on to kill one of his two sons could help us on the topic of logic and reason and how it might fit the real God's written word.
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
how it might fit the real God's written word.

Or maybe we could talk about how just because some religious traditions due to historical contingency wrote their beliefs and stories down we seem to assume that gives them some sort of weight towards being true that other oral traditions don't get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

Or maybe we could talk about how just because some religious traditions due to historical contingency wrote their beliefs and stories down we seem to assume that gives them some sort of weight towards being true that other oral traditions don't get.

We don't give them more weight for that reason. We give them more weight to the research that was done. That's why they document the reasons why they got to their end, and the context for which they were produced. So, if someone wants to re-raise the same issue later in history that reasoning is so documented. This is no different from how any research is done. This is how science builds onto the work of the past. Same process.
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to last.

The question presented in the OP is: “there are endless scriptures bad faith conmen can use to manipulate seekers; which scriptures protect against them?”

I see we are at 6 pages of writings and there is no clear answer. Perhaps there never is?

Our attention and energy is a precious commodity. What else could we be doing with our brain power, the calories in our bodies, and our minutes on earth?

On this lovely Sunday morning, I am reminded of my lovely mother who used to say, “put your mind outside the car” as we drove along and annoyed her by our yammering. There are beautiful things in our world— plants and animals and birds and people. Go love them! If someone is delaying you, gently extricate yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

We don't give them more weight for that reason. We give them more weight to the research that was done. That's why they document the reasons why they got to their end, and the context for which they were produced. So, if someone wants to re-raise the same issue later in history that reasoning is so documented. This is no different from how any research is done. This is how science builds onto the work of the past. Same process.

I'm not talking about the historicity of the documents or religion. I'm talking about the metaphysics.

No amount of research or reasoning is ever going to get us to the truth about Jesus dying for our sins (or that "sin" actually exists), that is a statement of faith.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Apr 7, 24 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: Scriptural question re: cults and false prophets [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:

I disagree with your "(i.e., which is the real god)". I took it to mean, (i.e., which religion actually corresponds to God's word). I think my interpretation is better because Sphere set up the initial problem as cult or false religions. Normally, when people ask that question, they see people being swayed by religions that present themselves as "Christian", and use certain biblical passages to support that. But, they are just a little off. Other posts in the thread buttress this view.

In this way, the whole discussion was "Arguendo". IOW, Sphere was asking (assuming as fact, for the sake for argument, that the Bible and its God are true) how does one determine a false religion? In fact, he asks for a "scriptural firewall" or passages of Scripture to guard against this. He reinforces this "arguendo" when he asks (in Post #4), "Perfect example. Where in Scripture can followers look ..." Thus, he set up (and reinforced) the question as "I don't want to get into a discussion here about whether the Bible is true or the God of the Bible is real; let's just assume, arguendo, that they are."
Most posters got this. Slowman (in our fun back-and-forth) even expressly stated something like "for the sake of argument" a few times, for which I expressly thanked him.

Thus, when Kay or Trieatalot jump in to change the thread to an apology on whether God is true, they are changing the course of Sphere's thread. Fine, that's a common LR thing to hijack a thread. But, it does constitute a hijack, which is why I didn't respond to Kay or Trieatalot. Otherwise, normally, I love talking about apologetics.

If the thread has run its course, then OK, let's have some apologia fun. I just was taking issue with your allegation of me using circular logic. Arguendo discussions are not circular. In symbolic logic, it is setting up a premise/given, which is not later proven.

It’s possible we read the question differently. Since Sphere specifically cited non-Christian religions, such as those that preceded Christianity, I read it as broader than just determining which sects or denominations within the Christian umbrella were closest to God’s word. If he had used different language like “which church” or “which sect” I would have not had the same issue with your answer.

I should be clear about how I mean the word Truth here. I do not mean it in the sense of objective truth of what is being said or taught or written, but rather true to the intent and meaning of what is being taught or said or written. IOW, we could presume for the purpose of my question that Jesus never existed and the Bible was written as a work of fiction and the question remains: does that work of fiction itself contain clear instructions to reject future prophets who claim to hear God’s voice and seek to lead people by that anointing.

An analogy would be a treasure map with instructions. It’s irrelevant if treasure actually exists for the purpose of the question, which is, does that treasure map make it clear that no other maps will be accurate, no one who claims to have heard from the creator of the map about additional maps is trustworthy, or do the instructions leave open in treasure seekers mind the possibility that someone may come along with a different map that leads to the same treasure.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
You know my thoughts on this generally.

At the meta analysis level, philosophies are a matter of opinion and religions are a matter of truth or fiction. In my view they’re all fiction, but some are objectively more problematic than others. So my OP question wasn’t asking how to separate truth from fiction but rather how does the Bible protect seekers from falling prey to covert malignant actors who would bend the “truth” of God’s word to their own will. So far it seems the answer to that question is, it doesn’t and can’t.

As I've gotten older, I'm less interested in winding people up like I used to (not talking about you), so I'll caveat this with I could be wrong and the Bible could be the actual word of God.

But having said that, lets ask that same question about The Book of Mormon. If you don't believe it to be true, but rather the work of Joe Smith, then it's pretty clear that he intended the book to form a false religion with the purpose of getting people to follow his cult. Which would make him very likely to be a narcissist. Would he have put in place anything to protect seekers from falling prey to malignant actors long after he died? Well, if he was truly a narcissistic cult leader, he wouldn't care what happens to anyone after he's gone. That's kind of how I see the authors of the Bible.

Another caveat: the book of Mormon could very well be the actual word of God.

But we can skip past all of that and I'll just answer your question directly. I agree with you. It doesn't and it can't.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply

Prev Next