Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HiKai wrote:
Hey Aussie,

I want to do the same just in Australia.

Starting out in Perth.

Any tips ?

I would just do Perth and Western Australia as the rest of the country is rubbish, but I might be biased.

Consider doing it in a 4 wheel drive as many sites are on unpaved roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
. 3) Ironnerd is 60. Not sure how much a water park appeals to he and his wife.

You're lucky HUAC is defunct with that un-American attitude.

I didn't go to a water park til my mid-thirties....you can bet your ass I'll be going in my 60's

I am still 18 at heart and will be going to water slides until the day I die.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the awesome advice and ideas.

If the trip goes well we plan to park up the RV over the US winter and return the following year to do Canada and Alaska. Perhaps parts of South America the following year.

We bought a "America is Beautiful" National Park pass.

As a shake down trip we spent a few days in San Diego and went to the zoo. We have just spent three nights in the amazing Yosemite national park. We are heading to Lake Tahoe today.

As a rough guide we are going to follow this route.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/...ltimate-us-road-trip
As we get to each state we are going to work out what we want to see and plan a route through the state.
We are going to do it in the reverse direction to try and make to most of the warmer summer weather in the north and try and avoid busy national parks over the peak summer holidays. The southern states we will do as the weather gets colder.
Once thanks for all of the advice and ideas. I will include them in our trip.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks bananas fun.

Updates are expected, along with tales of LR hosts if and when you meet up with us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I didn't go to a water park til my mid-thirties....you can bet your ass I'll be going in my 60's

I am still 18 at heart and will be going to water slides until the day I die.

Then may I suggest Wisconsin Dells
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:

If the trip goes well we plan to park up the RV over the US winter and return the following year to do Canada and Alaska. Perhaps parts of South America the following year.

As a shake down trip we spent a few days in San Diego and went to the zoo. We have just spent three nights in the amazing Yosemite national park. We are heading to Lake Tahoe today.

As we get to each state we are going to work out what we want to see and plan a route through the state.
We are going to do it in the reverse direction to try and make to most of the warmer summer weather in the north and try and avoid busy national parks over the peak summer holidays. The southern states we will do as the weather gets colder.

Avoiding Chicago? Hmmm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I didn’t say I didn’t like them. I enjoy a good water park. I just said that might not be appealing to some 60 year olds.

Although I can’t do all the super fast and steep slides anymore. I can sit in a lazy river all day long.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just do Perth and Western Australia as the rest of the country is rubbish, but I might be biased.

Consider doing it in a 4 wheel drive as many sites are on unpaved roads.
That's exactly what I was thinking go South and North of Perth, thanks for the 4x4 tip.
Have done Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra and Adelaide.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
windywave wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I didn’t say I didn’t like them. I enjoy a good water park. I just said that might not be appealing to some 60 year olds.

Although I can’t do all the super fast and steep slides anymore. I can sit in a lazy river all day long.

I see being "young at heart" as a good thing.

But my preference in "immaturity" is age 19.

Not age 7!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That route looks good, but I can’t tell if you will travel on I-15 between Yellowstone and Zion? Take highway 191 instead. Highway 191 parallels 1-15 on the other side of a mountain range when you do the North-South trip between Montana and Utah. Highway 191 is not interstate highway system driving, but it’s more beautiful.

If you want to see cool sights along your trip, the atlas obscura book has good ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Avoiding Chicago? Hmmm

To me driving an RV around the country means trying best to avoid city driving. My experience of driving through or around Chicago shows it to be a Royal PITA. What pray tell must one see in Chicago that is a game changer?

I looked at his trip map and had the question of what town in central Kentucky is he visiting and why?

I too took some offense in his selection to avoid all of western Pa but then I really could not offer much argument for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No no no no! Use coastal hwy 1 in California. 101 is boring in California. Then continue on 101 through Oregon and Washington and around the Olympic peninsula. See that, then feel free to continue east.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at his trip map and had the question of what town in central Kentucky is he visiting and why?

Bardstown. Bourbon Trail.
Could be Bowling Green for the Corvette museum.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Last edited by: sonofdad: Apr 18, 24 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flaming gorge is cool, but I would go up to Logan, and take 89 to Jackson. I've lived in Rock Springs so I might be jaded on anyone actually spending time around there.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beyond the note I had on Barks' post (89 from logan to jackson), not sure what your stop in Nebraska is, but I would skip the black hills (going to be pretty small and underwhelming compared to the Rockies), head east on I94 across the great waste that is North Dakota and hit northern MN or the UP of Michigan.

That lake Superior area is a different corner of the country you wont see much else like it.

Nebraska would be a good stop if you can time it with a migration (spring or fall) or when all of the cranes are along the Platte River.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey #49 on the list is Xantusia!!! Well we are about a 1/4 mile away, so stop in and say hi..

One question, what kind of RV did you buy, length, class, amenities and such:?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:

LinkedIn article says Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky, which is right outside of Bowling Green. Bardstown is probably another hour plus away.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two more inputs

somehow before making it to Philadelphia I would jog west and do the Gettysburg Battlefield tour and make sure to travel US route 30 and not the turnpike I -76 with a pit stop into and around Lancaster Pa for a touch of Amish flavor.

Also while cruising Wyoming, make a stop in Saratoga for a fine steak dinner at the old Hotel, enjoy an extended sit down in the natural hot springs and follow it up with a tour of the Encampment museum just down the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Avoiding Chicago? Hmmm

After all of your posts describing Chicago as the gang murder capital of the USA I wouldn't want to miss it. 😀
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
That route looks good, but I can’t tell if you will travel on I-15 between Yellowstone and Zion? Take highway 191 instead. Highway 191 parallels 1-15 on the other side of a mountain range when you do the North-South trip between Montana and Utah. Highway 191 is not interstate highway system driving, but it’s more beautiful.

If you want to see cool sights along your trip, the atlas obscura book has good ideas.

We are trying to avoid the highways and take the scenic routes where possible.

Driving along the California side of Lake Tahoe was so beautiful and so challenging in a motorhome.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
No no no no! Use coastal hwy 1 in California. 101 is boring in California. Then continue on 101 through Oregon and Washington and around the Olympic peninsula. See that, then feel free to continue east.

We did the coastal hwy 1 between LA and SF a few years ago. We did hwy 1 from LA to San Dieago last week. Very scenic.

We will do part of 101 in Oregon and Washington.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

Driving along the California side of Lake Tahoe was so beautiful and so challenging in a motorhome.

You have plenty of miles to become an accomplished driver! Yay!

I know you know danger, being an Aussie and having worked many miles underground, but there’s a great book to read about deaths in Yellowstone that will frighten you and potentially save your life. It’s Death in Yellowstone by Lee H. Whittlesey. Also, just read the outside magazine articles about deaths in US national parks and the feet that wash up in Oregon and/or Washington. Get scared. It’s a good idea! I’m jealous.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for an Aussie in an RV around the USA [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonofdad wrote:

We are following the route just to get a rough order of states. Then when we get to each state we make a list of where we want to go and plan a route.

Here is our Oregon route.
Lava Beds National Monument
Crater Lake National Park
Oregon Caves
Boardman State Scenic Corridor
Oregon Coast Trail
Portland
Columbia Ri ER Gorge
Mt Hood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

You have plenty of miles to become an accomplished driver! Yay!

I know you know danger, being an Aussie and having worked many miles underground, but there’s a great book to read about deaths in Yellowstone that will frighten you and potentially save your life. It’s Death in Yellowstone by Lee H. Whittlesey. Also, just read the outside magazine articles about deaths in US national parks and the feet that wash up in Oregon and/or Washington. Get scared. It’s a good idea! I’m jealous.

My wife already jumps whenever she hears something, she is convinced it is a bear or rattle snake.

Like the Australian desert and the Gobi desert we will be sensible. Take water, food, first aid, extra clothing and a phone. Stick to the trails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of our National Parks are amazing but reservations at some of them can be difficult to get at times.

The state of New Mexico has an annual camping pass for state parks for $225. You can stay at any one campsite for up to 14 days. Leave a week and you can come back for another 14 days. I think you have to pay for electrical hookups.

Check out the Bisti Badlands/ De Na Zin wilderness. Google Alien Throne. Don't go without the AllTrails app. Nothing is marked.
Quote Reply

Prev Next