Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Blood/plasma donation & training
Quote | Reply
From what I understand it takes a few weeks for your red blood cells to get replaced after blood donation, therefore you will not be at 100% until they are all replaced. However with plasma donation the red blood cells are put back into your body and plasma only takes 24 hours to be replaced, which means as long as you don't schedule a hard training session straight after plasma donation, it should have no negative effects.

Am I right in thinking this, or is it a bit more complicated than that?
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
From what I understand it takes a few weeks for your red blood cells to get replaced after blood donation, therefore you will not be at 100% until they are all replaced. However with plasma donation the red blood cells are put back into your body and plasma only takes 24 hours to be replaced, which means as long as you don't schedule a hard training session straight after plasma donation, it should have no negative effects.

I can't speak on plasma, but I donate double reds(alyx) and it makes a difference. The positive of double reds is less chance of fainting as you don't become dehydrated as they pump saline back in. Workouts feel "off" for the next few weeks. The first workout definitely feels like you are running through mud.

Even if you do schedule a training session or a race it won't kill you it just will be harder and slower. I've finished marathons within 10 days of a double red donations and sprint/oly tris under a week afterwards.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't speak for plasma, but as far as blood donations, I am a regular donor and I just plan on getting my workout in the morning of the donation or plan on a rest day. It typically takes me 2-3 days to feel normal again. Think next time I donate, I'm on 3 gallons.

Whatever you do, do not do a workout after donating blood. Bad things can happen....bad things...
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: May 18, 21 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
42point2 wrote:

I can't speak on plasma, but I donate double reds(alyx) and it makes a difference. The positive of double reds is less chance of fainting as you don't become dehydrated as they pump saline back in. Workouts feel "off" for the next few weeks. The first workout definitely feels like you are running through mud.

Even if you do schedule a training session or a race it won't kill you it just will be harder and slower. I've finished marathons within 10 days of a double red donations and sprint/oly tris under a week afterwards.

Hugs and kisses, my friend. People like you who have donated red blood cells saved my life after chemo when I was so severely anemic with rbc’s going down to 5 and needed transfusions every 9 days for a long time. So easy to not think about folks like you giving blood, until your life depends on it. You are saving lives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donated plasma on Wednesday morning, was supposed to be swimming this morning, but slept through my alarm, so swimming after work instead, swimming the next day is fine (that night, not the best idea, I have started rebleeding when I have tried previously) and I'll run on Friday. Long training sessions booked for the weekend.

For what ever reason, whole blood donations leave me wrecked for at least a week, (Okay, we know the reason, I don't produce RBCs quickly, so recovering those is slow, one reason why I only give plasma)

Also note: - from the WADA code - Plasma donation is a doping infraction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a conversation with an ER doc once, his hypothesis was that after donating blood, the body over-compensates with the RBC replenishment, and 3-4 weeks post-donation you should be better off than before, hematocrit-wise.

I haven't seen any research on this, but I might try it anyway, with pre & post blood counts.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [Cape_Horn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cape_Horn wrote:
Donated plasma on Wednesday morning, was supposed to be swimming this morning, but slept through my alarm, so swimming after work instead, swimming the next day is fine (that night, not the best idea, I have started rebleeding when I have tried previously) and I'll run on Friday. Long training sessions booked for the weekend.

For what ever reason, whole blood donations leave me wrecked for at least a week, (Okay, we know the reason, I don't produce RBCs quickly, so recovering those is slow, one reason why I only give plasma)

Also note: - from the WADA code - Plasma donation is a doping infraction.

You can donate as much plasma as you want as long as you don’t race afterwards.
It increases your count/volume and that may give you an competitive edge, but why it’s banned is actually to protect you from the risk of a blood clot (stroke etc.).

So WADA actually protects you from
yourself when you toe the starting line.

What other risky things you do out there training isn’t WADAs business, but looking at WADA regulations when considering ‘manipulating’ your body AND training hard, is a good guidance what’s healthy or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please don't.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/questions-answers/prohibited-list-qa#item-381

• For the plasma donor, plasmapheresis is prohibited under section M1.1 because the donor’s own red blood cells (and other blood components) are being reintroduced back into their own circulatory system after the plasma or blood components have been separated outside of the person’s body.

100% against the code, not just out of competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cape_Horn wrote:
Please don't.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/questions-answers/prohibited-list-qa#item-381

• For the plasma donor, plasmapheresis is prohibited under section M1.1 because the donor’s own red blood cells (and other blood components) are being reintroduced back into their own circulatory system after the plasma or blood components have been separated outside of the person’s body.

100% against the code, not just out of competition.

Is there a timeframe between donating plasma and being able to race? I literally just got home from a plasma donation which I did purely because I thought it was a good thing to do for others. I'm in off season with no races registered for until November.

On the training side, I did my workout in the morning before an afternoon donation. Tomorrow is a rest day. I was dehydrated and was feeling quite faint midway and this also meant the process was slower. If you're going to donate make sure you are well hydrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected and Fletch_Boy is right.
It’s generally prohibited if you’re bound by the WADA code.
You can donate whole blood though.
Last edited by: windschatten: May 21, 21 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the standard statement is "While you are under the WADA code" - ie. at all points in time, in and out of training, until you no longer have a race licence.
(But yes, giving whole blood is fine)

So saying, I do know quite a few triathletes who donate plasma regularly, even though it is against the WADA code. After all - what is more important? WADA code or saving lives?
So saying, other than a small number of people, most people would understand if they looked into a racing ban from WADA due to donating plasma, and not be on the standard "Burn the Doper" bandwagon.

(Note: I am looking at this from the AG point of view, due to the saline drip to replace lost blood volume, a blood test will make it easy to see that you have had a saline drip, which in turn will mean you are going to have a bad time if you get tested, IE. you are a Pro. As an AG, if you don't get tested, you will be fine, if you do get tested, mark it and hope they show leniency.)
Last edited by: Cape_Horn: May 23, 21 21:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cape_Horn wrote:
So the standard statement is "While you are under the WADA code" - ie. at all points in time, in and out of training, until you no longer have a race licence.
(But yes, giving whole blood is fine)

So saying, I do know quite a few triathletes who donate plasma regularly, even though it is against the WADA code. After all - what is more important? WADA code or saving lives?
So saying, other than a small number of people, most people would understand if they looked into a racing ban from WADA due to donating plasma, and not be on the standard "Burn the Doper" bandwagon.

(Note: I am looking at this from the AG point of view, due to the saline drip to replace lost blood volume, a blood test will make it easy to see that you have had a saline drip, which in turn will mean you are going to have a bad time if you get tested, IE. you are a Pro. As an AG, if you don't get tested, you will be fine, if you do get tested, mark it and hope they show leniency.)

Lucky for me I'm not fast enough to get tested. That said, now that I am informed I will be quite considerate of the timing of any future donations whether that be plasma or whole blood. In the end, triathlon is a sport while donations save lives.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So easy to not think about folks like you giving blood, until your life depends on it. You are saving lives."
------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for sharing your story. I give often and rarely seem to hear the personal (of course I hear the big picture anonymous stories) end of the receiver. Your little "hugs and kisses" response even though to someone else made my day! Glad you are doing well and wishing you the best. Thanks to you I will continue to give even if my schedule is a bit too rushed. Thanks!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"So easy to not think about folks like you giving blood, until your life depends on it. You are saving lives."
------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for sharing your story. I give often and rarely seem to hear the personal (of course I hear the big picture anonymous stories) end of the receiver. Your little "hugs and kisses" response even though to someone else made my day! Glad you are doing well and wishing you the best. Thanks to you I will continue to give even if my schedule is a bit too rushed. Thanks!

In Australia, a few days post donation, they usually send you a short sms with a note like

"Hi <Name>, thank you for your <type> donation! It's already on its way to give life to someone at Prince of Wales Hospital, NSW. Thanks, Australian Red Cross Lifeblood."
(Personal details removed for reasons)

Being that every donation in Australia is voluntary and has no physical payback, they have found personal messages like these have a good number of people coming back to donate again. (Other days it goes to cancer sufferers in childrens hospitals, or ED wards etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just resurfacing this thread as I donated whole blood last week and had the worst ride in years on Saturday. It was literally like riding through mud the whole time, just way more sapping than it should have been.

After doing some research, it does seem like athletic performance is pretty significantly impacted for a week or so after the donation but can get back to a good baseline in the 2-4 week timeframe.

Just curious if anyone else has any experience with this?
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjwcanary wrote:

Yes. I gave blood the night before a team time trial.

I remember starting the time trial. Then I remember laying down in the grass with my bike lying next to me and my 3 teammates nowhere in sight. It appears like I held it together enough to get off my bike the "right way" and lay it down before taking a nap. But it must have been close.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Internal bleeding after they discharged me home following a minor laparoscopic surgery. Long story short I lost so much blood my blood count went from low 40s to 23. The hospital transfuse at 22. So they gave me no donor blood. They fixed the bleeding and again sent me home.

Found out right away that I felt fine idling, but was out of breath climbing hills or stairs.

Tried training a few days later. Lmao. Garmin was very VERY disappointed in me.

Did a 1/2 Iron 5 weeks after that incident. It was the toughest race ever. So that's what it's like when you enter an event as a couch potato.

Was not back to normal for over 2 months. That was WITH taking daily iron/folate/C/B complex pill.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Mar 18, 24 11:58
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
kjwcanary wrote:

Yes. I gave blood the night before a team time trial.

I remember starting the time trial. Then I remember laying down in the grass with my bike lying next to me and my 3 teammates nowhere in sight. It appears like I held it together enough to get off my bike the "right way" and lay it down before taking a nap. But it must have been close.

Wow, that make my lame ride seems very tame in comparison!
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Zealand has just changed the rules to allow people who spent time in the UK during the mad cow years (late 80s-mid90s) to give blood. And so on first allowable day I was there early in the morning (post swim squad). So first (full blood) donation in 15 years, and something that I've always held as important (I gave on my 18th birthday in UK).

However, I was then absolutely awful for the following week. Couldn't pinpoint what, but my HRV dropped from normal 85-95 to the 50s, and I seemed to be breathing heavier/more. Coach thought it was perhaps a low level virus, but I'm certainly going to be interested to see if same happens next time.

Interesting comments re plasma donation. I was certainly considering that due to being able to give more often, and I give about 1% weighting to the WADA thing as others have said. It's simply a hobby and donating saves lives. That said, I am staunchly anti doping is a MOP 50y/o and so I may stick to full blood. My intent is 100% not to gain advantage, indeed I was assuming this was a disadvantage. Next full blood donation is booked for the week after my next marathon when I was expecting I'd be a bit sore and so not doing too much high intensity or running.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood/plasma donation & training [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
New Zealand has just changed the rules to allow people who spent time in the UK during the mad cow years (late 80s-mid90s) to give blood. And so on first allowable day I was there early in the morning (post swim squad). So first (full blood) donation in 15 years, and something that I've always held as important (I gave on my 18th birthday in UK).

However, I was then absolutely awful for the following week. Couldn't pinpoint what, but my HRV dropped from normal 85-95 to the 50s, and I seemed to be breathing heavier/more. Coach thought it was perhaps a low level virus, but I'm certainly going to be interested to see if same happens next time.

Interesting comments re plasma donation. I was certainly considering that due to being able to give more often, and I give about 1% weighting to the WADA thing as others have said. It's simply a hobby and donating saves lives. That said, I am staunchly anti doping is a MOP 50y/o and so I may stick to full blood. My intent is 100% not to gain advantage, indeed I was assuming this was a disadvantage. Next full blood donation is booked for the week after my next marathon when I was expecting I'd be a bit sore and so not doing too much high intensity or running.

I'm in the same boat as a Brit living in the US where the rules were also just relaxed regarding blood donations.

Thanks for the additional context. My HRV has also been low for the last couple of days but I put that down to celebrating the St Paddy's day weekend a bit to much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I donated blood on Sunday 4/14 (double red) and did a run workout today. I thought it'd be interesting to compare today's workout with a similar workout I did in March:

Lap # / Normalized Power / Avg. HR / Efficiency Factor

3/12/24 - 6x 2:30 @ Z4
Avg. Temp = 59 F
Max HR = 171bpm

1 / 333w / 155bpm / 2.15
2 / 342w / 158bpm / 2.16
3 / 336w / 159bpm / 2.11
4 / 331w / 156bpm / 2.12
5 / 332w / 157bpm / 2.11
6 / 342w / 160bpm / 2.14

4/16/24 - 4x 2:30 @ Z4
Avg. Temp = 76 F
Max HR = 186bpm

1 / 337w / 176bpm / 1.91
2 / 325w / 175bpm / 1.87
3 / 338w / 176bpm / 1.92
4 / 334w / 177bpm / 1.89

My overall max HR is around 190. Training Peaks told me I held 184bpm for an entire minute today.
Quote Reply