Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Some more spice to hooked vs hookless debate. Tyre blow-out. [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:

Like me for example - I'll be watching with great interest what the podium finishers are riding in this year's Tour's two Time Trials.

Other than Lotto and Movistar on zipp, who do you expect to ride hookless in the TT

I don’t think the jayco guys or uae ride hookless TT but could be wrong
Quote Reply
Re: Some more spice to hooked vs hookless debate. Tyre blow-out. [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not replying to you in particular. And I am going to delve in a different direction, which is consumer safety, which should be the most important aspect.

When you introduce in the market a new technology, that looks identical to the previous technology, but has some incompatibilities that can put your life at risk, there should be lots of safety nets to ensure that you don't make mistakes. Thinks such as bright stickers saying things such as:
  • You must install a hookless compatible tyre or your life will be in danger
  • You must not exceed 5Bar of pressure or your life will be in danger

In addition, bikeshops and retailers must be schooled by the industry (wheel and tyre manufacturers) to ensure they know the compatibilities/incompatibilities very well and the associated risks. And then make it very simple for the bikeshop and users to not make mistakes. Such as using color codes or something very obvious to ensure tyre/wheel combos are compatible, and that max pressures are not exceeded.

Now for the practicalities. I only have one bike with a set of hookless wheels. A set of Zipp 303 Firecrest. It took me quite a while to determine if it was any kind of warning on the wheelset, and it turns there is. Only, it is almost invisible, and it is incomplete. As it only states the maximum pressure, but it does not say that it is hookless and that you must install hookless compatible tyres:

Then in the tyres on those wheels are Schwalbe and there is absolutely no indication that they are hookless, nor is there any indication about the maximum pressure.

In my eyes this is a highly irresponsible behaviour from two leading manufactures, and unfortunately they are not an exception. In addition, if you go to most e-tailers, you will not have any indications on whether the wheels/tyres you are buying from them are hookless, nor that you should not mistake them for clinchers and use the appropriate pressure.
Last edited by: ecce-homo: Apr 5, 24 4:14
Quote Reply
Re: Some more spice to hooked vs hookless debate. Tyre blow-out. [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Other than Lotto and Movistar on zipp, who do you expect to ride hookless in the TT
Nobody who gets on the podium. Regardless of the Team's Sponsors, I don't think any of the top three finishers in either TT will be on a hookless wheel - the current 28mm (or larger) size + 73 psi max pressure is simply too restrictive, especially for the front wheel for Time Trials.

The one exception to this is if one of the tire manufacture's comes up with a TT specific hookless tire, not yet available to the public, that can safely take more pressure. Historically, new tires are frequently first used in the TT's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next