Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: February Fish Frenzy [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well, I swam 19x in Feb, and 21x in Jan, for 40x in 60 days. 67% is kind of bullshit. I'll work on 75%+.

do what you like but remember it's all about (a) not getting hurt and (b) getting faster
if 67% meets those, that's great

[REPEAT ABOVE TO SELF ;)]

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Frenzy [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. But it's not even 5x/week, and I have no good excuses. I think 6x/week will be a big factor in me reaching my goals.

I revamped my schedule. Most sessions would qualify as "sprint" sessions. There's a 5000m once a month! And a couple of 1500m.

I can't wait to see what the March thread is called.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A solid month for me swimming 3 x week after dropping the grandkids off at school. 28,550 yds with a high of 3,500 yds twice. This month I was focusing on finishing my stroke and not speed after watching a really fast high schooler with a great catch look so smooth. Did take me 7 year old granddaughter to the pool one day and showed her how to do the backstroke flip turn. She proceeded to swim about 250 yds and was ready to go again the next morning!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Threadโ€™s up :)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Frenzy - In Honour Of Dr. Tigerchik [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
Swimming. Lol.

The discussion about people who are great at 1500m but "suck" at 100m is fascinating to me.

I'm a numbers geek. Each event's WR = 100%. So double the WR = 50%. Etc etc. I'm at 55-60% in everything from 15m to 5000m. My best score is....25m! (60%). ie I dove 15.5sec, in comparison with the 9.3sec WR. I wish I was 60% at 400m!! (See My Dream in sig.) ๐Ÿ˜‚

In running I used to do 1:10 HM, 31:09 10k, 3:57 1500m......but I couldn't break 56sec for 400m. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Where did you find a WR for 25m??? I have never seen a WR for any distance less than 50m. I use a similar method to grade my times but I take my time over the WR, i.e., for 400 LCM the WR = 3:40 or 220 sec. If I manage a 5:20, then I'm at 320/220 = 1.455 or about 45% slower than the WR. From what I've read, USA Swimming uses this type of percentage to calculate the "Age Group Motivational Times" for level B, BB, A, AA, AAA, and AAAA swimmers across the various events and age groups and for each size pool (SCY, SCM, and LCM).

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Frenzy - In Honour Of Dr. Tigerchik [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Skuj wrote:
Swimming. Lol.

The discussion about people who are great at 1500m but "suck" at 100m is fascinating to me.

I'm a numbers geek. Each event's WR = 100%. So double the WR = 50%. Etc etc. I'm at 55-60% in everything from 15m to 5000m. My best score is....25m! (60%). ie I dove 15.5sec, in comparison with the 9.3sec WR. I wish I was 60% at 400m!! (See My Dream in sig.) ๐Ÿ˜‚

In running I used to do 1:10 HM, 31:09 10k, 3:57 1500m......but I couldn't break 56sec for 400m. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Where did you find a WR for 25m??? I have never seen a WR for any distance less than 50m. I use a similar method to grade my times but I take my time over the WR, i.e., for 400 LCM the WR = 3:40 or 220 sec. If I manage a 5:20, then I'm at 320/220 = 1.455 or about 45% slower than the WR. From what I've read, USA Swimming uses this type of percentage to calculate the "Age Group Motivational Times" for level B, BB, A, AA, AAA, and AAAA swimmers across the various events and age groups and for each size pool (SCY, SCM, and LCM).

Sorry, I missed this post.

https://blogs.ugr.es/...eb-dressel-analysis/

This is a detailed analysis of that crazy 50yd SC that Dressel did. There's a lot of numbers in there, but when I crunched them, I concluded that Dressel could reach for a 25m wall in 9.3sec. Obviously this is not an official timing, but an extrapolation.

But his 15m "WR" (4.84sec) is an official timing!

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: February Fish Frenzy - In Honour Of Dr. Tigerchik [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Skuj wrote:
Swimming. Lol.

Sorry, I missed this post.

https://blogs.ugr.es/...eb-dressel-analysis/

This is a detailed analysis of that crazy 50yd SC that Dressel did. There's a lot of numbers in there, but when I crunched them, I concluded that Dressel could reach for a 25m wall in 9.3sec. Obviously this is not an official timing, but an extrapolation.

But his 15m "WR" (4.84sec) is an official timing!

Very interesting analysis of Dressel's super fast 50 yd race. The whole concept of doing a sub-18 50 yd free is simply unfathomable to me. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next