Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
In my entire career, I never had a single mechanical. I dropped two chains - once in 2007 on Shimano and once in 2011 on SRAM. Both were my fault - shifting front rings under high power.

I was - and am - an avowed 1X rider. I started discussions with Zipp/SRAM about 1x for TT in 2010/11. I still have a spreadsheet I drafted up for them with my ideal gear ratios (assuming 1x10). But even when I rode 2x, I never had a problem with SRAM, which I rode (in 2x) from 2009 - 2015.

I'm not willing to say it's *always* user error, but it's *probably* user error. Blaming your equipment is very poor form.

I ride 2X in almost everything (only fat bike is 1x) so gravel, tri, roadā€¦. I follow Danā€™s advice with a chain catcher on my TT bikes which are mechanical SRAM. No issue with dropped chains at all. My gravel rig is Ultegra with a SRAM/quarq crank that is 2X and without a chain catcher I have yet to drop a chain on that rig. That is with plenty of user error too :). Now, I ride fewer miles and put out way less power than the pros, but I agree that user error is most likely a bigger portion of the issue. Especially with Skipper, if he cannot keep a computer mount firmly attached to his bike, then I am not giving him the benefit of the doubt on other simple maintenance of his drivetrain to keep it performing properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
In my entire career, I never had a single mechanical. I dropped two chains - once in 2007 on Shimano and once in 2011 on SRAM. Both were my fault - shifting front rings under high power.

I was - and am - an avowed 1X rider. I started discussions with Zipp/SRAM about 1x for TT in 2010/11. I still have a spreadsheet I drafted up for them with my ideal gear ratios (assuming 1x10). But even when I rode 2x, I never had a problem with SRAM, which I rode (in 2x) from 2009 - 2015.

I'm not willing to say it's *always* user error, but it's *probably* user error. Blaming your equipment is very poor form.

yes, but user error is normal. if equipment relies on perfect usage (from a fatigued human) then its not really fit for purpose.
sure, if you do something really stupid like dump a bunch of gears at both ends simultaneously then thats on you but minor mistakes shouldn't result in a significant mechanical

i don't really understand why minimal chain catchers aren't standard. there is minimal downside to them but you substantially reduce the risk of dropped chains which can be a big impact
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
shimano has, and always has had, a strong edge on SRAM on FD shifting. but the gap has narrowed on that, and the derailing issue is the one thing.

I don't think they narrowed the gap on front shifting, they just literally narrowed the gap between chainring sizes (because it's easier for the front derailleur to function that way) and tried to push everyone to 1x.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:

I don't think they narrowed the gap on front shifting, they just literally narrowed the gap between chainring sizes (because it's easier for the front derailleur to function that way) and tried to push everyone to 1x.

Oh, it's narrowed if viewing over the decades. The first generation of mechanical Red front shifting was bad full-stop. I believe this was the "Andy Schleck incident" era. Second generation Red22 was better after they stiffened up some stuff and introduced the Yaw thing. Both generations of eTap have been pretty great IMO. There are the known issues of a slight delay vs. Shimano (likely to wait for both levers to be hit at once), and maybe slightly more chain dropping than Shimano. But otherwise it's crisp, quick, and pretty dang tolerant of shifting under load. Chain dropping is not a thing for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Slowman wrote:
shimano has, and always has had, a strong edge on SRAM on FD shifting. but the gap has narrowed on that, and the derailing issue is the one thing.

what trail said. yes, you're restricted to certain gear pairings. but SRAM has always been ahead of shimano on available rear gears. that only closed when shimano finally came out with their first ever 1:1 road ratio a couple of years ago. so, each has had its issues with available gears over the years. as to FD performance, i remember when SRAM had FD trim on either the inside or the outside but not both, with the result that you just had chain rub somewhere on the FD cage. this goes back 15 years or more, pre-electronic. i think SRAM has had to wait out patents and soldier through some rough times. not so much anymore. FD works quite well. the main issue with the FD, if you have a chain catcher installed, is that you have to take the chain off to affix the jig that helps you adjust the FD. it's not a straightforward adjust. a lot of stuff i used to know how to do - sizing a chain, adjusting the FD - you have to kind of throw that knowledge out and work on SRAM the way SRAM wants you to do it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
Ha, so will this be on the next social media rounds for Shimano.

Why Shimano? Cue Skipper

Yeah, before he raves about Shimano over SRAM, maybe he should try the Shimano power meterā€¦

Shimano makes a powermeter?? I thought they had cornered the market on crank-based random number generators.
Last edited by: Mudge: Feb 26, 24 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Why Shimano? Cue Skipper

Yeah, before he raves about Shimano over SRAM, maybe he should try the Shimano power meterā€¦

DOnā€™t get me wrong, I love my Shimano shifting, but you could not pay me enough to switch to a Shimano power meter over my SRAM (Quarq) power meter. He might want to think about his complaint there a bit. He sounds a bit stupid to people who know the real deal on power meters vis a vis SRAM/Shimano. Now, if he had an issue on that ride with shifting and was railing on how much better Shimano was than SRAM, it would make more sense.

Lol who's the stupid one? He didn't mention PM at all in the rant and he has never used Shimano PMs at all. Even confirms this in the comments.

Most people (including Joe) admit that the best quality groupset combines Shimano derailleurs with a 3rd party PM and Shimano rings.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
ryans wrote:

DOnā€™t get me wrong, I love my Shimano shifting, but you could not pay me enough to switch to a Shimano power meter over my SRAM (Quarq) power meter. He might want to think about his complaint there a bit. He sounds a bit stupid to people who know the real deal on power meters vis a vis SRAM/Shimano. Now, if he had an issue on that ride with shifting and was railing on how much better Shimano was than SRAM, it would make more sense.

Lol who's the stupid one? He didn't mention PM at all in the rant and he has never used Shimano PMs at all. Even confirms this in the comments.

Before you call someone stupid...

1. First Skipper says that the power data was garbage. Immediately he says:
2. "Power meter is the same family as SRAM".
3. Goes on a rant about how SRAM sucks and Shimano is better, without getting into specifics.
4. People point out in the comments that Shimano's power meters are a joke compared do SRAM's. (Did they not watch the video? Oh wait, they did...)

The whole discussion arose from Skipper ranting in the context of a failing power meter. He didn't say he was talking strictly about the groupset. Instead he chose to use the lawyer analogy which he thought was brilliant but which further pointed in the direction of power meters more than cogs and teeth. People consider context. He's the one that put the rant in that context, which made it sound very silly.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Feb 27, 24 0:57
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thread is another reminder that people on the internet don't have a sense of humour...

He wasnt 'ranting' at all...
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hot takes from Hasbeens for Attention, meh.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was expecting an entertaining "shat thyself mid-bike" thread... Carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
ryans wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Why Shimano? Cue Skipper

Shimano makes a powermeter?? I thought they had cornered the market on crank-based random number generators.

Thanks. I just spewed coke on my keyboard. That really was hilarious!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per his instagram heā€™s rocking a SRM now.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
ryans wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Why Shimano? Cue Skipper

Most people (including Joe) admit that the best quality groupset combines Shimano derailleurs with a 3rd party PM and Shimano rings.

Maybe you are the stupid one sitting next to skipperā€¦. Listen a bit closerā€¦
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

there is one, and only one, problem with SRAM: the chain is not entirely immune from derailing from the chainring during a front derailleur shift. shimano has, and always has had, a strong edge on SRAM on FD shifting. but the gap has narrowed on that, and the derailing issue is the one thing. not speed of shift or shift under power or chain rub. just the potential for a dropped chain. so run a chain catcher.

This. 1 billion %.
I had endless problems with the SRAM front mech / throwing the chain off, on the TT bike. Nothing to do with the adjustment. All to do with a derailleur that was not stiff enough. The fact it came as-made with a built in catcher tells you how shit it was.
Yet because that catcher was attached to the same shit derailleur it too flexed and the chain could (and did) push past the catcher, and making an even bigger mess to sort roadside. On occasions I had to split the chain, and at others remove the mech to retrieve the chain !

Swapped to Shimano... not a problem in multi- years since.

I'm certain rhe reason SRAM pushed 1x in MTB so heavily is because they just couldn't develop a front mech that wasn't a total OS.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Sram cassette only available in XDR drive.

Once somebody buys a Sram bike they are locked into Sram wheels, cranks, chain, cassette, and chainring. Also important, all of these items are more expensive then Shimano's and have near zero aftermarket availability.

You can buy a new driver body for your hub (costs about $60-80) to switch a wheelset from XDR to shimano, takes all of 3 minutes to swap. Not sure Iā€™d call that ā€œlocked in.ā€

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to post something similar. It was a relatively mild complaint that he tried to dress up as humour. It was hardly a rant.
Quote Reply
Re: Skipper shitting all over SRAM [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If itā€™s important that we label Joeā€™s speech as a mild complaint and not a rant, I declare full readiness to drop the ā€œrantā€ designation from all my future posts on this video šŸ˜‰

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally think you should write (pen and paper) to Skipper and apologise profuselyā€¦ā€¦.

I actually thought his analogy and going for a pint with SRAM but relying on Shimano when you want to do serous business was quite amusing for him.
Quote Reply

Prev Next