Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
I don't know if Blu (not "big" - he is actually quite little) is joking or night but his IG says he found a flight.

He did a hard run work out in place of the race according to his strava so doubt he going to Miami plus he’s all in for Olympics
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
except that it was sunny when the races were to be held. this is at night.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounded like they were limiting peoples movement to prepare for the storm. It looks like something that authorities felt was a safety issue. When it's sunny - yes, everyone thinks the show should go on. But there was supposed to be events Saturday as well, so you just let people be there longer, hoping the storm doesn't come sooner? I'm as disappointed as any fan, and I feel for all the athletes but it would have to be pretty serious for the government to cancel, I would suspect. The region has gone out of their way to attract world class events.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. A triathlon isn't worth putting public safety people in harms way in my opinion.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He may be going but he sure as hell ain’t racing. Doesn’t matter if the PTO has found their discretionary gene - everything goes through the national fed.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they did pre race meeting 2 days prior to the event (all athletes are on site). I'm really *shocked* that they didn't have an alternate schedule. I mean if this is the infrastructure of a city, cool, then you must have a plan to move it. Especially with the meeting 2 days prior, that has to be the backup plan, full stop. To basically allow weather to fully cancel your event, that's bad for business. And they cancelled it ahead of the weather, so ummm you can't see that Friday Is going to be weather and decide to move it up 1 day by Tuesday or Wed at the meeting? Moving it up vs full cancel, umm yeah all the athletes would have said "let's go".

There are 6 or 7 of these a year- this is the gold standard of your sport. You have athletes/federations spending good money to get there; you have cities spending upwards of $2mi (I know I know this is nothing for oil countries), but to just plow ahead with an schedule and "oops we are cancelling cus the infrastructure can't handle".....then you fucked up with poor planning. To not have an alternate just seems stupid, there's too much invested in this series to have a full cancel. Again this wasn't some emergency weather system that just popped up in the middle of the race or 15 mins prior. They cancelled it prior to the weather even hitting if I'm reading this correctly? So just makes no sense why there was not an alternate plan, for a host city who can't handle weather; that sorta makes no sense.

Explaining that the city can’t handle weather is an even worse look for not having foresight/ability to do a schedule change.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 9, 24 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the times I've been to Dubai, I noticed that the city is poorly suited for drainage. A little rain causes flooding in many of the streets.

I think this video from yesterday was after 1.5" of rain. The average annual rainfall is 5.25" so basically 20 percent of the rain fell yesterday and another 20 percent today. However, I do wish they could have had the events this week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAoRgkD-y8

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The event is on Yas Island. There aren’t any easy and convenient options for moving it somewhere else across the city. As someone entered in the AG race, I’m as disappointed as anyone not to have been able to race this morning. Unfortunately, the weather was quite severe for the region, and the government felt it was prudent to cancel.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [jmsenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying move the location (that will never happen), I'm saying the schedule allowed it to be moved to Thursday. From 12:30-15:00 there was already familization scheduled, so move the race to that time frame. Again if you look at hte weather and severe weather is coming in 3 days, move the fucking event if you can. You can't tell me you can have a familization after the athlete meeting and then tell me you couldn't move the race to that day. That makes no logical sense. Everyone is on site at that point (refs + athletes + race infrastructure is setup). Again if this was a pop up weather system fine, last min cancellation I can understand. But for you to forecast an cancellation and not have the ability to move it 1 day prior- that's piss poor mangement.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 9, 24 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I'm not saying move the location (that will never happen), I'm saying the schedule allowed it to be moved to Thursday. From 12:30-15:00 there was already familization scheduled, so move the race to that time frame. Again if you look at hte weather and severe weather is coming in 3 days, move the fucking event if you can. You can't tell me you can have a familization after the athlete meeting and then tell me you couldn't move the race to that day. That makes no logical sense. Everyone is on site at that point (refs + athletes + race infrastructure is setup). Again if this was a pop up weather system fine, last min cancellation I can understand. But for you to forecast a cancellation and not have the ability to move it 1 day prior- that's piss poor mangement.

Isn’t Thursday their religious day in Abu Dhabi?
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But they had scheduled course fam events on Thursday. Friday is the "holy day" in Islamic cultures according to many websites.

THURSDAY 7 MARCH
TimeAthlete GroupActivity06.45ALLSunrise12.00-19.00AGE GROUPAthlete Village and Expo Opens12.00-19.00AGE GROUPAge Group race pack collection12.10-13.15PARAAthletes’ Lounge Open for familiarizations12:30-13:15PARAPT Swim familiarization13:30-14:00PARA Hand cycle and race wheelchair check (storage at the venue)13.45-14.45ELITEAthletes’ Lounge Open for familiarizations14:00-14:15PARACoaches/Personal handlers briefing on FOP access14:00-14:45ELITE Elite swim familiarization18.00-1900PARAPara Race Briefing & Pack Collection

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 9, 24 10:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have been absolutely gutted if I was going to watch this live, not really lost out on much, I'm sure there's fume around the federations with now one less race to get selection done with their athletes for the Olympics.

Haven't looked where the next world Cup race is? Wonder if athletes will now load themselves into this to compensate.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next event is Hong Kong WC in 2 weeks . Athletes can’t really go to that event unless they already were on start list. They’ll get stuck on wait list now if they entered.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 9, 24 18:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Next event is Hong Kong WC. Athletes can’t really go to that event unless they already were on start list.

That's too far to travel for anyone not planning to anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kris Gemmell joined the PTN pod to talk about the AD cancellation.

Basically was goverment mandated shut down. I guess my question is, what's the point of a contigency plan, if you can't use the contigency plan. And if you know on Monday (he said everyone knew Monday, race day was going to have storms) the storm was going to be that bad, again I don't know why they couldn't have moved it up. It's on a private. island race course, they weren't in some urban area where they couldn't. They simply didn't have that as a contingency plan, which again makes no sense. The calendar was built in for it to get moved to Thur with that being course fam day and the race meeting was on Wed.

He did if I heard him correctly say, they even tried to do sora a "secret" race with athletes only (no media) very quickly that race morning but realized too many things to make that happen and/or realized it would be a bad idea.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: 2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Abu Dhabi [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
It sounded like they were limiting peoples movement to prepare for the storm. It looks like something that authorities felt was a safety issue. When it's sunny - yes, everyone thinks the show should go on. But there was supposed to be events Saturday as well, so you just let people be there longer, hoping the storm doesn't come sooner? I'm as disappointed as any fan, and I feel for all the athletes but it would have to be pretty serious for the government to cancel, I would suspect. The region has gone out of their way to attract world class events.
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. A triathlon isn't worth putting public safety people in harms way in my opinion.
Have a read of this account of the floods in Dubai today. And then consider whether the Abu Dhabi authorities over-reacted when they decided that the WTCS race had to be cancelled.
https://edition.cnn.com/...g-climate/index.html
Now let's think forward to the T100 in Dubai in November, and the Grand Final.
And here's their report of floods in Oman:
https://edition.cnn.com/...ntl-latam/index.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next