Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that. I ride in Vegas, and when I visit family back in Florida, I ride there as well. I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, the times I've had punctures on those rides. But where I live right now, I can't count the number of punctures I've had this year alone. It's been horrible.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
I get that. I ride in Vegas, and when I visit family back in Florida, I ride there as well. I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, the times I've had punctures on those rides. But where I live right now, I can't count the number of punctures I've had this year alone. It's been horrible.

i also have to admit that i'm just really lazy.

the idea of re-learning how to change an 'effin tyre in my 40s is positively exhausting to me, so . . . clinchers it is!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally get that. I certainly didn't want to learn this but the shear number of punctures I was getting was exhausting. Not just the expense of replacing or patching tubes (which I have become quite adept in repairing) but the frustration of spending 10 or 15 minutes sitting on the side of a busy road replacing a tube every time I went out. I was at the point of finding a solution or giving up cycling. It was that bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It shouldn't take 10 minutes to replace a tube.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came here to say I think 10 minutes is a pretty good estimate to change a tube if you're saying from puncture to rolling again (which I think by the context that's what you're saying). By the time you stop, get your tools/tube/inflator out, remove the wheel, change, then do everything in reverse, 7-10 minutes seems like a good estimate.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're leaving out the 2-3 minutes I spend cursing and kicking rocks that I'm doing this shit again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
You're leaving out the 2-3 minutes I spend cursing and kicking rocks that I'm doing this shit again.

for me it's +30 seconds of exhaling deeply and questioning my life choices. "why am i doing this again? why is the universe so indifferent?"

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [DoronG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't care what anyone else says or does... I put tubs to all my wheels. Although, flats are rare, in no rush, under 70.3 race conditions, I can replace a tub in well under 5min with high degree of certainty and go on my marry way ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to no one specific....

If you happen to be one of those riders that ride mostly indoors, and only outdoor rides are 3-4 races over a 4-5 month period....

Is it still better to use tubeless from a flat prevention POV? The last 3 WTC races I've been at, I flatted on tubes. Several friends with tubeless never seem to have flats. Am I stupid for making the switch, and either add a little sealant before each next race, or remove the tires after each race and clean them out (is it really that hard??) and add new sealant??
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My very limited experience so far, and I'm planning on refreshing sealant about 2 weeks prior to IMAZ. I figure this will give me plenty of time to make sure the tires are properly sealed and the sealant is fresh.

But I'm still a tubeless n00b. Others might have more experienced opinions with better recommendations.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate tubeless wheels so much! [DoronG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So going back to my favorite bitch about cycling. Today I went on a 68 mile ride. I only have one bike set up for tubeless, and it wasn't the bike I was riding today. Anybody wanna guess what happened?
I managed to get TWO flats within a mile of each other. YGTBFSM.

First one was the back tire. I felt it getting low so I stopped. Found a staple in the tire. Not like a paper staple but one of those big staples, like a carpentry staple. Kicked rocks and cursed, then popped in one of my spare tubes and hit it with my CO2 inflator and back on my way.

Then, about a mile down the road, I notice the front feels sloppy. Stop and give it a pinch test. Sure enough, I'm way low. I found a mesquite thorn in that tire. Fortunately, I had a second spare tube this time and my inflator actually still had some CO2 left in it. Not enough for a full charge, but maybe 40psi. I was only about four miles from the house so I just rode the front tire soft the rest of the way home.

Now, I'm only posting this because if it had been my tubeless tires, I wouldn't have found either of these punctures until I got home. I probably would have noticed the staple when I put the bike on the work stand. But the mesquite thorn, I probably wouldn't have found that until I pulled the tire off for routine maintenance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next