Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hoka Skyward X [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
Listen to the slowtwitch podcast with Jimmy Riccitello - it may not be a race official in the course of the event, it could be a racing peer or a spectator that reports you and prompts an investigation where things like race day photos may be reviewed.

They're no peer if they report the 52nd in the age group for wearing this or the prime x, they're just an a-hole. Screams Marathon investigation type shenanigans, remember, dumb shit that has caused people to commit suicide.

So now we're picking and choosing which rules apply to which competitors?

Either the rules(as written) apply to everyone or they don't.

If that causes a problem with the 52nd overall competitor in an age group getting DQ'd I would argue that's probably a strong indication that the rule as its currently written is a bad rule.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

…This is an ultra plush shoe. In fact I'd call it the most plush running shoe on the market...

If this shoe is more plush than the Prime X Strung, I’m interested. The PXS is the most plush shoe I’ve ran in, in over 40 years of running, and what’s more, I’m at 800 miles on my first pair, and they aren’t showing any signs of flattening or leaning. That was always my biggest gripe with Hoka Bondis…after about 300 miles, they would crush towards the outside of the midsole, and I felt like a bowlegged cowboy. The PXS isn’t doing that at all.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:

If this shoe is more plush than the Prime X Strung, I’m interested. The PXS is the most plush shoe I’ve ran in, in over 40 years of running, and what’s more, I’m at 800 miles on my first pair, and they aren’t showing any signs of flattening or leaning. That was always my biggest gripe with Hoka Bondis…after about 300 miles, they would crush towards the outside of the midsole, and I felt like a bowlegged cowboy. The PXS isn’t doing that at all.

IDK if it's more plush than the Prime X strung as I've not put that on. I will say that your observation of the Bondi being worn out after 300 miles is a common refrain we've been hearing from customers for the last year. It's losing them retail sales.

On a side note, I'm in the ATL airport right now and am seeing a lot of Hokas and a few alphaflys on people's feet.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 26, 24 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've been selling them in our store for a couple weeks and I see this as a great training shoe for someone that likes the Bondi. Similar fit (runs Hoka narrowish - no wide width option), cushion, neutral support but an improved lightweight upper for a runner. The front midsole under the toes isn't as thick as the Bondi which would also benefit the runner over jogger or walker.

I'm my opinion it's fast forefoot rocker doesn't allow for any noticeable spring propulsion from the carbon place.

A heavier runner, those with stiff & wide feet that tend to underpronate, want to run off the pavement may want to make sure the lateral midsole isn't too soft. For a foot that pronates normally or overpronates a bit the medial midsole has some firmness. Hoka did a good job finding a balance with such a thick midsole. We find the Bondi breaks down laterally too quickly for a lot of people.

To add to the topic of a well cushioned race day shoe the Asics Edge/Sky Paris are outstanding. I think it's the bounciest but most supportive super shoe in it's class and it's not forever sold out. I would recommend though for a quick runner.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [laseranimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laseranimal wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
Listen to the slowtwitch podcast with Jimmy Riccitello - it may not be a race official in the course of the event, it could be a racing peer or a spectator that reports you and prompts an investigation where things like race day photos may be reviewed.

They're no peer if they report the 52nd in the age group for wearing this or the prime x, they're just an a-hole. Screams Marathon investigation type shenanigans, remember, dumb shit that has caused people to commit suicide.

If that causes a problem with the 52nd overall competitor in an age group getting DQ'd I would argue that's probably a strong indication that the rule as its currently written is a bad rule.

Generally a case of it depends. But Golf went away from allowing people to call in rule violations people saw on TV.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Dean T wrote:

IDK if it's more plush than the Prime X strung as I've not put that on. I will say that your observation of the Bondi being worn out after 300 miles is a common refrain we've been hearing from customers for the last year. It's losing them retail sales.

On a side note, I'm in the ATL airport right now and am seeing a lot of Hokas and a few alphaflys on people's feet.

I got 350 running miles out the Bondi 6. Haven't had a fresh pair since, got a 7 at the road runner used sale but I suspect they were used by someone who was significantly heavier than I because they were dead in the 50 miles I put on them. 350 miles for me at the time of being 205-215 pound runner is a lot of miles. These people who talk of 5-600 miles on shoes clearly are lying or weight 120lbs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
laseranimal wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Yutaka Sonik wrote:

Generally a case of it depends. But Golf went away from allowing people to call in rule violations people saw on TV.

So to use a golf analogy, player is going to finish 36 holes in a tie for 75th, they're missing the cut and on the 18th hole they hit a drive OB. They don't bother to hit a provisional, and instead of taking stroke and distance they walk up the fairway and play their next shot from where the ball went out of bounds. They finish the round, sign their scorecard and since they don't make the cut they weren't getting paid or impacting anyone else's results.

Would everyone in golf say "it depends" and we'd apply the rule differently if you were leading the tournament?

I seriously doubt that even if it was an amateur tournament.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [laseranimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laseranimal wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Yutaka Sonik wrote:

we can talk about this in regards to other similar rules. So 52nd place AG should also be allowed to stuff their chest with fairings?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chucking a pair of shoes on is not the same thing as stuffing a bottle in your chest for aero. Everyone and their mother does the former. Only people who take this sport very seriously do the latter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
[
I got 350 running miles out the Bondi 6. Haven't had a fresh pair since, got a 7 at the road runner used sale but I suspect they were used by someone who was significantly heavier than I because they were dead in the 50 miles I put on them. 350 miles for me at the time of being 205-215 pound runner is a lot of miles. These people who talk of 5-600 miles on shoes clearly are lying or weight 120lbs.

It's not your weight but the fact that Hoka use EVA, which has crap longevity. I'm 190lbs and get about 350mi out of most EVA shoes like you do. But every TPE shoe I've had lasted easily 500 miles and I only replaced them to try something new. The Prime X mentioned above uses TPE and will easily last 500mi at your weight.

PEBA for racing
TPE for training
EVA for the history books
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
[

It's not your weight but the fact that Hoka use EVA, which has crap longevity. I'm 190lbs and get about 350mi out of most EVA shoes like you do. But every TPE shoe I've had lasted easily 500 miles and I only replaced them to try something new. The Prime X mentioned above uses TPE and will easily last 500mi at your weight.

PEBA for racing
TPE for training
EVA for the history books

Eh, 350 is like the max on any shoe I've gotten regardless of brand. But previously it was the rubber wearing out when shoes had a lot of rubber. Hoka is just barely going to a decent amount of coverage, but most shoes rubber is very thin now.

Runner right now is Gel Nimbus 25 and it's a big time meh for me, should have gone NB More v4. No idea what FF+ Ecoblast is made from.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Eh, 350 is like the max on any shoe I've gotten regardless of brand. But previously it was the rubber wearing out when shoes had a lot of rubber. Hoka is just barely going to a decent amount of coverage, but most shoes rubber is very thin now.

The Prime X Strung has a Continental tire rubber outsole… I can’t make a dent in it.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:

The Prime X Strung has a Continental tire rubber outsole… I can’t make a dent in it.

The Conti rubber that Adidas used to use would outlast the midsole. IDK if it's the same or a formulation close to it. It was The Best outsole in the industry. Now with everyone taking away rubber from the non impact areas we're seeing degradation from the outside in due to rocks, rough roads/trails etc.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried them on and liked them but much prefer my Rockets x2.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
trail wrote:

Does it replace the Bondi X? I noticed the Bondi X (my shoe) apparently is now gone from the Hoka website.

No. It's got a different feel than the Bondi X

This is an ultra plush shoe. In fact I'd call it the most plush running shoe on the market.

You aren’t lying. They are unbelievably cushy and bouncy.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would love to hear how they go for you, I was really disappointed in my last pair of Bondi's. And like many here, I like a wider shoe, but often just go with a bigger one to accommodate, so would like your take on their sizing too..

And to the guy that asked who would these be for, well just about everyone of us that got hooked on the original Bondi and now find the new versions just too stiff. At least that would be my hope..

I “think” the regular size of the Skyward X is a bit roomier than a regular Bondi. Not as roomy as a wide Bondi but they felt fine. I’d still prefer a wide version.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they run true to size or do most people have to half size up or down?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [Bryan!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan! wrote:

True to size for me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Bryan! wrote:

True to size for me.

Agree

Quote Reply

Prev Next