Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas
Quote | Reply
I'll post pics of my sweatshirt later, but I'll be in Boston on Friday for the expo and Monday to kiss people, heckle, and cheer (in that order). Bright blue short shorts, white sweatshirt that says "Wellesley." On Friday I'm likely to have a piece of paper on it like a race bib that says "ask me for a kiss" just in case no one wants to stop for one Monday. I'm usually in Oklahoma on Patriot's Day but not this year.

Friday I'll be at the expo when it opens at 11. Please say hi if you see me. My real name is Allison. If you ask "are you Dr. Tigerchik" it may confuse my dad (who will be traveling with me, and may or may not come to the expo).

If you'll be at the expo midday Friday, tell me what you're wearing so I can look for you.

I'll get back to Boston sometime Sunday, may or may not go to the expo again.

Sign-wise for Monday, one of my neon papers will say "[last name] (2024)" bc I have a friend running who is also a geeky academic, and this will be meaningful to him and be a reminder that marathoning has miserable moments but it's better than working on a journal article or grant application. I have more neon paper and the sorts of things I am considering for signs - please add ideas or tell me what you do/don't like - are as follows. (These are the sorts of things *I* like for signs; I have a dark sense of humor. I will not make signs saying things like "you look great" and other actually motivational things, beyond #3)

1. It's a marathon, not a sprint
2. Start trying
3. You have nice legs [suggested: shorten to "nice legs"]
4. Kiss me
5. You're getting chicked
6. [suggested] you're not almost there
7. [suggested if rainy, possibly too inappropriate] kiss me, I'm already wet
8. [your ideas here...]

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 10, 24 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I have a dark sense of humor. I will not make signs saying things like "you look great" and other actually motivational things.

There was a half marathon in my town that went by my house at about the 11 mile mark. As we get to my house I caught a guy who had been running alone for the previous mile. Just as I catch him my kids and wife are in the front yard and they scream "Run faster! You are embarrassing us!". The guy was pretty stunned, I on the other hand loved it.

As for Boston maybe a sign like "It's all uphill from here". (It isn't really, but some of those downhills hurt worse than the uphills.)

Enjoy!

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest "nice legs" as a snappier/easier to read version for #3. They are already oxygen deprived - bigger letters, fewer words FTW.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I have a dark sense of humor. I will not make signs saying things like "you look great" and other actually motivational things.
There was a half marathon in my town that went by my house at about the 11 mile mark. As we get to my house I caught a guy who had been running alone for the previous mile. Just as I catch him my kids and wife are in the front yard and they scream "Run faster! You are embarrassing us!". The guy was pretty stunned, I on the other hand loved it.

As for Boston maybe a sign like "It's all uphill from here". (It isn't really, but some of those downhills hurt worse than the uphills.)

Enjoy!

I have a set of signs I give my family when I'm swim racing. One is "you look cold"

Some people don't like dark humour; some people (self included) DGAF about "you look good" and "you're so close" so I'm ok with letting some people be stunned and making some laugh. BC I hope when I race, someone yells at me "you look miserable!"

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I suggest "nice legs" as a snappier/easier to read version for #3. They are already oxygen deprived - bigger letters, fewer words FTW.

Ah, good call.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically spectate from Wellesley center (intersection of 16 and 135), a little down the road from the Wellesley College girls...

My 3 year old was into watching the local 5k this past weekend, so I'm hoping he'll be into watching at least the elites. Probably won't make it too long though. Good luck to your friend, hope the forecast holds for sunny and high of 60!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [scenicRoute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I typically spectate from Wellesley center (intersection of 16 and 135), a little down the road from the Wellesley College girls...

My 3 year old was into watching the local 5k this past weekend, so I'm hoping he'll be into watching at least the elites. Probably won't make it too long though. Good luck to your friend, hope the forecast holds for sunny and high of 60!

me too, as I'd prefer not to have to laminate my signs, and I'd also like weather in which I will be comfy in shorts as to show off my own legs...

I haven't been a spectator since '05 and when I did that, I wasn't there all day. What might I want to bring aside from camp chairs (mostly for staking out spot and waiting around), water, signs, snacks, visor, warm clothes just in case, ???

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 9, 24 14:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps not appropriate in some people's opinion, but I ran Boston in 2019, the year when it rained, and rained and rained. Everyone - runners, spectators, supporters, etc - was soaked to the bone, and it was cold. So when I ran by Wellesley and saw a girl with a big sign that said "Kiss me, I'm Wet" I had to laugh at the double entendre.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Sign-wise for Monday, one of my neon papers will say "[last name] (2024)" bc I have a friend running who is also a geeky academic, and this will be meaningful to him and be a reminder that marathoning has miserable moments but it's better than working on a journal article or grant application. I have more neon paper and the sorts of things I am considering for signs - please add ideas or tell me what you do/don't like - are as follows. (These are the sorts of things *I* like for signs; I have a dark sense of humor. I will not make signs saying things like "you look great" and other actually motivational things, beyond #3)

1. It's a marathon, not a sprint
2. Start trying
3. You have nice legs
4. Kiss me
5. You're getting chicked
6. [your ideas here...]

I always get a chuckle out of the ā€œyouā€™re not almost thereā€ signs
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Perhaps not appropriate in some people's opinion, but I ran Boston in 2019, the year when it rained, and rained and rained. Everyone - runners, spectators, supporters, etc - was soaked to the bone, and it was cold. So when I ran by Wellesley and saw a girl with a big sign that said "Kiss me, I'm Wet" I had to laugh at the double entendre.

That's excellent. If it rains, I'll do that one.

Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [jmsenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I always get a chuckle out of the ā€œyouā€™re not almost thereā€ signs

adding to the list of candidates

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
7. [suggested if rainy, possibly too inappropriate] kiss me, I'm already wet

Slight edit

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

me too, as I'd prefer not to have to laminate my signs, and I'd also like weather in which I will be comfy in shorts as to show off my own legs...

I haven't been a spectator since '05 and when I did that, I wasn't there all day. What might I want to bring aside from camp chairs (mostly for staking out spot and waiting around), water, signs, snacks, visor, warm clothes just in case, ???

Sunscreen!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there!

I am heading to Boston on Friday and will be running in the race on Monday (unless another personal disaster occurs like 2019). Would love to say hi if you are around the expo on Saturday morning (that is my planned time to do all the pre race stuff).

I only know one thing for sure, and it is that I will have a McLaren F1 hat on, and likely a black or grey t-shirt (actually probably more like a down parka considering I am coming from ATX)

Cheers!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Show me your Moobs

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You've got stamina - call me!!!"

Kelly Roberts ("Run.Selfie. Repeat") usually has some good ones on her IG

https://www.instagram.com/...gsh=NWsycjMxa2w1NTA0

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey there!

I am heading to Boston on Friday and will be running in the race on Monday (unless another personal disaster occurs like 2019). Would love to say hi if you are around the expo on Saturday morning (that is my planned time to do all the pre race stuff).

I only know one thing for sure, and it is that I will have a McLaren F1 hat on, and likely a black or grey t-shirt (actually probably more like a down parka considering I am coming from ATX)

Cheers!

I won't be there Saturday - am spending the weekend in Mystic, CT with my cousins. I'm sorry I won't get to meet you in person! I will post pics of my signs and estimated location on the course, though, in case you happen to see them while running. I hope you have a great race!

Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Show me your Moobs

not going on a sign.

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 10, 24 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any truth to the rumor that some ladies will flash like they did at the aid station in Wildflower in the old days?

That would be one option to standout!
Last edited by: pokey: Apr 10, 24 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once stood beside an elderly lady at the 7km mark of a Marathon, while wanting to watch the early stages. The lady knew nothing about the event, and I explained that it was 42km.

After a period of thought she began cheering "Just 35km to go!" šŸ˜‚ I heard a lot of groans amongst the running masses.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thatā€™s excellent

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 12, 24 4:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running..my first time.

Not getting to town until Saturday but as far as the signs go, I'm also down with the 'you're not almost there'..perfectly bracing reminder of the hills/rollers coming up. I'm a little worried my third wave start time is going to mean the Wellesley/BC cheering sections will be dried up by the time I get there!

Wish me joy of day..getting that BQ took some focus for this talentless bum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As always - this is fabulous!
Ref EXPO Sunday- If you go, my son Ike will be at HYPERICE. He's Retail Sales director. I'll let him that you might showup.

I know you will have a great weekend
JYT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve raced Boston a few times and one of the great athletic memories of my life is running past Wellesley! The history teacher in me never forgot the ā€œThis ainā€™t no Tea Party!ā€ sign back in 1990. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm being a Wellesley girl on Monday. Who else is running/spectating at Boston; when will you be at the expo; critique my sign ideas [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will have so much joy Sunday and Monday! Here is a virtual kiss just in case. Smooches :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next