Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
christianlee wrote:
Yes, this is it. I'm assuming that for an event of this size they could probably open the locks at the Chateau end a few days before and pull fresh water from up the Rideau. It's no different from what they do for the skating (drain/fill).

No way that the city is that coordinated that they're thinking this through. This is the city that didn't run the LRT last year for the marathon because no one told them to do so, and then when people inquired if it would be running, they said that they weren't given enough time to adjust the maintenance schedule, as if the date isn't known in advance.

Canal would be NCC jurisdiction anyway - so you're putting in another government layer. Though you might be involving them for the parkways anyway.

There is no way that there is an Ironman in Ottawa without NCC involvement. Plus, I think endurance sporting events can probably expect stronger City support with our current Mayor.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point.

To this I'll add for Dev's list of questions:
-Is the mayor doing it?
-Can we get the LRT running early race morning?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Since the announcement of the announcement is out, you all post your questions on the thread. I got an invite from the organizers at Ironman to join the launch press conference tomorrow (Tuesday 16 April). Fire away and I will try to ask whatever the can at the event tomorrow

I suspect most of my questions will be announced tomorrow anyway, but...
  • Who's the RD?
  • How long is the deal for?
  • Route/locations?
  • Is this IM only, or is there a 70.3 with it?

And also the most important thing... How many Kona/Nice Slots? :)

ETA: Is Sutcliffe doing it?

These are important questions.

As for Sutcliffe racing, he has the London marathon this Sunday so we can encourage him to get in the pool . Biking should be easy for him, but having said that, I don't think that Ironman training and being the Mayor of a city are complimentary. IM training just takes up too much energy that you can't be on top of your game as a Mayor....half, Olympic and marathon, you still have energy to spare to perform your day job. Doing full IM, its tough to bring your A game to the table if you have a high profile, hi availability requirement job where you are a public face.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine even training for a marathon would be complementary with being the public face of a city. I meant it more in jest - but it would be a good opportunity to see if he'd be game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I can't imagine even training for a marathon would be complementary with being the public face of a city. I meant it more in jest - but it would be a good opportunity to see if he'd be game.

It's probably challenging to fit the training in, but you get the perk of bypassing the lottery to get into the London Marathon, and "Officical City Business" that happens to take you to London on the weekend of the London Marathon.

Oh wait, he said it's a total coincidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
timbasile wrote:

It's probably challenging to fit the training in, but you get the perk of bypassing the lottery to get into the London Marathon, and "Officical City Business" that happens to take you to London on the weekend of the London Marathon.

Oh wait, he said it's a total coincidence.

If I was the Mark, I would pay for my own flight to London and hotel for the weekend, and then hang out in London on taxpayer cost afterwards for biz dev with Saddiq Khan and other London officials. It can't hurt intra city biz if the mayor of our town is doing the London marathon when he is there to forge stronger industry-biz-govt links. Just get us a bloody direct flight to London though to sell IM Ottawa to all the Brits.

I really would love it if the swim is here:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if there could be a point-to-point swim in the canal from the Bank Street bridge to the Laurier bridge (this is 3.8km) with transition along Queen Elizabeth Drive. Bike ride goes Laurier to Elgin, hang a right up to Parliament, left on Wellington to Kichi Zibi Mikan all the way to Carling at Lincoln Fields, then head out of town to the west to just past Dunrobin (Stonecrest Elementary School is ~ 45k one way, so 90k round trip or 180 k for two loops). Then back to transition and run along Queen Elizabeth Drive to Dow's Lake and back 4 times for the marathon. You could use the westbound lanes on Carling for the biking and keep the eastbound lanes open for traffic, but make it 2-way for event day while the bike course is open. This keeps it all in Ontario, uses lots of roads already closed to traffic on weekends, would provide for ease of access to hotels and restaurants with a downtown finish and transition area, would be spectator friendly, not hilly, etc.

I'm really anxious to learn the details as they become available. I thought I was done with full IM racing but since this is my hometown, maybe not?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [lesmash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn’t it pretty narrow at Bank St?

What about starting a little closer to 5th avenue and using Landsdowne as a transition area?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim start does not need to have a "wide" area since they do rolling starts everywhere nowadays. 4 or 5 athletes go, wait 5 seconds, then send in the next group, rinse and repeat until everyone is in the water. You can't get to 3.8 if you start at 5th Ave unless you head back towards Lansdowne first, then u-turn it. I think that could be messy as the canal is not super wide and having two-way traffic in the water could lead to some collisions. Add in the kayaks and jet-skis and we are running out of space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good points. Also a very interesting route. Can’t wait to see what it will be.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, ideally would start at NAC, 3.8k would bring us to Lansdowne for T1.

I'd love to see the run finish at Major's Hill Park (Parliament, National Gallery & Chateau Laurier) and the run route include Wellington & Sussex. The night crowd along the edge of the market would be fun.

Hopefully we have course details at the announcement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lesmash wrote:
The swim start does not need to have a "wide" area since they do rolling starts everywhere nowadays. 4 or 5 athletes go, wait 5 seconds, then send in the next group, rinse and repeat until everyone is in the water. You can't get to 3.8 if you start at 5th Ave unless you head back towards Lansdowne first, then u-turn it. I think that could be messy as the canal is not super wide and having two-way traffic in the water could lead to some collisions. Add in the kayaks and jet-skis and we are running out of space.

I don't think width is an issue. Everyone gets strung out and keep in mind how narrow the canal is in Roth with wave starts. So if they do swim in canal it is totally manageable even with 2 way traffic (with a rolling start). But let's see what is decided tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
lesmash wrote:

I don't think width is an issue. Everyone gets strung out and keep in mind how narrow the canal is in Roth with wave starts. So if they do swim in canal it is totally manageable even with 2 way traffic (with a rolling start). But let's see what is decided tomorrow.

You guys all know Ottawa and that area. I have know idea about it eastern Canada ( east being past Regina). but if mt. trembly couldn't pull numbers why would this event be more likely to get racers back into the full distance.

We saw Whistler go back to Penticton and it didn't bring in the numbers they hoped, covid and fires didn't help but this year isn't going well.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid point. Also add lake placid 1-2 weeks prior (assuming it still exists). However, I’d gladly skip the $700+ USD 4 night minimum hotels in placid to race in Ottawa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately Ironman events with particularly tough courses aren't a huge draw. And the Meech cottagers would shit a chicken if there was an Ironman on the lake. No way that's happening.

The Jean Burger feed station made me legit howl at my breakfast table. Solid poutine at that joint...it's been a frequent stop on my long rides up to Wakefield...which is probably what keeps me solidly in the Clydesdale category.

There is one..."activist" at Meech who would absolutely lose his shit LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
I plotted a 90 km on the 105 (pure speculation, but figured it will be a two loop type of race) and it is still ~900 m elevation gain per lap. So Muskoka-Tremblant type of hilly even on the 105.

Make the Loop the run course. Bring the MEC Marathon back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
lesmash wrote:

You guys all know Ottawa and that area. I have know idea about it eastern Canada ( east being past Regina). but if mt. trembly couldn't pull numbers why would this event be more likely to get racers back into the full distance.

We saw Whistler go back to Penticton and it didn't bring in the numbers they hoped, covid and fires didn't help but this year isn't going well.

Remains to be seen, I guess. I don't think they'd be starting in Ottawa if Lake Placid was going to continue, TBH.

I also think Ottawa is FAR more accessible by air, many more accommodation and restaurant choices, and equally accessible for Montreal & Toronto/Southwest Ontario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
lesmash wrote:

Ottawa has a massive triathlon (and cycling and running) community that will help fill the numbers, is a “major” Canadian city and not to mention it is much closer to the GTA and Southern Ontario/Northeast USA than Tremblant ever was. “International” Airport, accommodations aplenty, minimal risk of fires disrupting race plans, I actually think it will be a big hit. Ottawa people will understand my use of quotations.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [CMac90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People can fly direct to Ottawa from any country in the world, as long as it's US or France.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
lesmash wrote:

I am guessing there is uncertainty around IMLP.

Having said that, Ottawa could have an harder course than Tremblant if the bike course goes across the river to Quebec, however, if I am guessing I think the local parkways would give us a course that has max total elevation of 500m, meaning it SHOULD be on the easier end of bike courses on the IM circuit and the run course could also be easy (but could also be as hard as IMLP if they go behind parliament hill on each loop). I am guessing that the run is also easier than IMLP/IM Tremblant.

Add to that that Ottawa is easier to get to, and you have the home turf premium of being inside one of the biggest tri communities in Canada and it should sell more than Tremblant. Plenty of hotels and restaurants and you can fly to Ottawa, take a taxi to hotel and never need a car again for race week and walk anywhere as it is pretty well guaranteed that a lot of the racing will be centered around downtown just because that is where all the parkways and canal paths intersect.

Does that mean it will be any less successful than Tremblant? I am hoping it is more successful, but time will tell us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
lesmash wrote:

Having said that, Ottawa could have an harder course than Tremblant if the bike course goes across the river to Quebec, however, if I am guessing I think the local parkways would give us a course that has max total elevation of 500m, meaning it SHOULD be on the easier end of bike courses on the IM circuit and the run course could also be easy (but could also be as hard as IMLP if they go behind parliament hill on each loop). I am guessing that the run is also easier than IMLP/IM Tremblant.

Add to that that Ottawa is easier to get to, and you have the home turf premium of being inside one of the biggest tri communities in Canada and it should sell more than Tremblant. Plenty of hotels and restaurants and you can fly to Ottawa, take a taxi to hotel and never need a car again for race week and walk anywhere as it is pretty well guaranteed that a lot of the racing will be centered around downtown just because that is where all the parkways and canal paths intersect.

Does that mean it will be any less successful than Tremblant? I am hoping it is more successful, but time will tell us.

Thanks for the feedback ottawains . Why do you think lake placid is going away they are already sold out and a tourist city ?

If the swim would have to be in the canal would to be assisted swim like cali?

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
lesmash wrote:

Thanks for the feedback ottawains . Why do you think lake placid is going away they are already sold out and a tourist city ?

No assistance, water isn’t moving, that being said, it would literally be the calmest swim on the circuit I bet, no waves, chop (other than what the other swimmers create) or anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [CMac90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it were point-to-point the tow would be wild.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:

Lake Placid chamber has a love/hate relationship with the event. The 5 year contract is done this year. It comes up regularly in their meetings to stop hosting the race and they came close to cancelling the race for the final 2024 year of the contract and had Ironman agree to some additional provisions to appease residents. The LP event and Ironman has it's detractors and supporters. Eventually the supporters will lose the fight. Lake Placid has had a lot of re-development in the last 10 years and a lot of the mom n pop motels are gone with larger hotel brands coming in. More attractive to more events.

As for the Ottawa event, I think the success of the event will be a factor of the course and the base location. As a past local (1 hour away) race director I worry about some of the great local events surviving the next few years. On the plus side, if I ever decided to do another full Ironman (I doubt it) it is only an hour drive away which is nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Is this legit ?

https://nirvanaeurope.com/...dgGMj4TI1m2bCwwqO2Va

It was posted on the Quebec FB group

Edit : the page has been taken down but claimed it would be Aug 3 2025

We could have T1 on the front lawn of Parliament and a current assisted swim down the Ottawa river. I could stay with friends and not pay for a hotel. As opposed to overpaying for a hotel in Tremblant and having to drive 2 hours from Ottawa. Win.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next