Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
On the ironman website they are saying the qualifiers from Ottawa go to worlds 2025 now. But at the press conf they said the cut off date for 2026 is still in flux. Honestly I hope it stays a qualifier for current year worlds vs next year worlds because it just makes it easier to qualify for everyone. Travel is more complex, but in my view travel is the easy part to figure out as there are always flights and always accommodations and you can always quit your job if your employer is an asshole and says you can't go to Kona 2.5 months later or nice 6 weeks later. Few ever got to their grave saying they wished they slaved for the corporation more rather than go to worlds (of sorts)

I'd much prefer if it was 16 months vs 2. My employer isn't going to give me much grief, but part of this is also planning family vacations and having supporters with you - which becomes harder if its last minute. At 2 months, it would just be me going. At 16 months, I'd likely have people coming with me. The race may not care if its just me, but the local venue would certainly care if I'm bringing a few people with me.

Though the website is saying that Ottawa 2024 goes to the WCs for 2025, which is clearly a typo.

Quote:
The 2024 IRONMAN Canada event offers Age Group Qualifying slots to the 2025 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fortunately i received a priority registration, oddly my girl friend did not. anyone figure out why some awa/tri club are receiving and some aren't?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [deantrives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured out why I didn't get a priority registration - I had somehow marked my email preferences to unsubscribe.

The only reason I figured it out was that I went to the part of the website where it says "notify me" and it let me know that I had unsubscribed from all communications. I don't remember doing so, and there isn't an easy to find toggle in your IM profile, but you can do so by doing the notify me thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, after you updated did you then get the priority?

looks like my GF somehow had her tri club affiliation removed...
my GF emailed IM to see if they can send her a link..

we are a bit excited to race in our Nations Capital! ha!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious to hear what the early registration numbers are before Monday. Every long course triathlete I know in the area has already signed up.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya I’m not sure why or how or who is getting the priority registrations.
I am a AWA and signed up for all e-mail notifications and I received nothing.

Maybe I should write to Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
Ya I’m not sure why or how or who is getting the priority registrations.
I am a AWA and signed up for all e-mail notifications and I received nothing.

Maybe I should write to Ironman.

I have always found their emails random. I get some priority emails, but not others.

Either way, I'm pretty doubtful it will sell out in a week, but I'm sure if you email them they'll give you a code.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deantrives wrote:
thanks, after you updated did you then get the priority?

No - but I emailed Ironman to see if they can resend. They're not usually the fastest response, so I'm not expecting an email before Monday anyway. I highly doubt it will sell out before Monday, but its always better to have that assurance.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 17, 24 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hopefully it sells out at a later point :)

funny enough, she found the email in her deleted folder.. :-/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was eager to sign up for the inaugural race in Ottawa, but on the priority registration Ironman site, I noticed that the Flex90 options (split payment and deferral protection) were not available upon payment. Oddly, 'best price and entry benefits' are advertised for April 22. Several of us will have to wait and see what pans out or if the Flex90 program is not available for 2025.

Additionally, The Nirvana options on the priority registration are also listed as a day short, having everyone checkout on race day. For example '4 nights' checking in on Wednesday, the last 'night' is Saturday. August 3rd is Sunday and probably the most important night for race finish hotel proximity.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [IronLiam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronLiam wrote:
I was eager to sign up for the inaugural race in Ottawa, but on the priority registration Ironman site, I noticed that the Flex90 options (split payment and deferral protection) were not available upon payment. Oddly, 'best price and entry benefits' are advertised for April 22. Several of us will have to wait and see what pans out or if the Flex90 program is not available for 2025.

Additionally, The Nirvana options on the priority registration are also listed as a day short, having everyone checkout on race day. For example '4 nights' checking in on Wednesday, the last 'night' is Saturday. August 3rd is Sunday and probably the most important night for race finish hotel proximity.

It almost sounds as though they had to rush this out after an internet leak. 😄
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and maybe some glitchy things going on bc i just received a second priority registration link...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've just resent me the priority link. I'm in!

See you all on the parkways

ETA: From the post above, maybe I just got sent it for the 2nd round. Either way...
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 17, 24 12:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For someone who may be deciding between this race and say, Chattanooga next year, which race would you lean towards and why?

I'm equally comfortable in S/B/R, solidly MOP female. I don't mind hot weather, and I am equidistant from each race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
I'm curious to hear what the early registration numbers are before Monday. Every long course triathlete I know in the area has already signed up.

I'm curious to know what the "Max" registration number will be. Will they cut it off 2-2.5k for the first year to make sure it goes smoothly? Or will they take as many as they can and then about 3 months before the race announce they are at "90% full so register now" or something like that.

With the roads closed for the bike course and a staggered swim start I would think they could handle quite a few people.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tamara Lich and Chris Barber have been hired to handle road closures.

That is ridiculously epic!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signed up yesterday, excited to check this race out. Seems like the city is pretty excited (so far) about it too.

Will be 3 straight years of Canadian IM's for me

2023 Mont Tremblant
2024 Penticton
2025 Ottawa

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mayor Mark Sutcliffe asked if he can put a relay together and run the marathon haha

Dev,

Don't underestimate the role that Mayor Mark Suttcliffe most likely played behind the scenes, to make this all happen. When you have a Mayor who is a keen runner and multi time Marathon-Finisher himself, even writing a great book on his own journey to the Boston Marathon a few years ago.

Road closures that are required for this kind of Event, and the permits needed, when first pitched to larger City Municipalities are often met with "No way" from City bureaucrats, and you work from there . . but having a Mayor who is supportive can be all the difference, and rare!

Overall this is great to see. There is a proud and rich heritage of Triathlon in Ottawa and a legacy going all the way back to the earliest days of the sport in Canada in the early to mid 1980's!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

T2/finish line will be in the exact trucker shutdown zone in front of Chateau Laurier HAHA
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Bluefishy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bluefishy wrote:
For someone who may be deciding between this race and say, Chattanooga next year, which race would you lean towards and why?

I'm equally comfortable in S/B/R, solidly MOP female. I don't mind hot weather, and I am equidistant from each race.

I can't comment on Chattanooga as I have not been there.

Fly into Ottawa, take taxi-uber downtown and you don't need anything else. Lots to do and see downtown. The only downside is the swim venue is around 8km from downtown, but you can bike there on your tri bike with a backpack if you want to do practice swims, if not there is public swim at uOttawa 1km from T2/finish line. From downtown, you can bike everywhere on the bike paths which run parallel to the bike course, and frankly I mainly ride the roads on the parkways in Ottawa versus bike paths anyway most days, as I would rather deal with cars going straight than dog walkers and roller bladers on the bike paths.

Here is an overhead view of downtown area where bike course goes by 5x and run finish is. (It is also the infamous site of the trucker blockade from Covid19 lockdowns):

This is a normal Sunday bike closure on the parkways which is part of the race course, and beside it you see the bike path where you can ride when there is traffic on the road

The swim venue is largely right of this pier in a protected cove from all wind directions other than North West

Here is a google maps view. The swim is between what is labelled Ottawa city rafting, Brittannia Beach, Brittannia Yacht club

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Mayor Mark Sutcliffe asked if he can put a relay together and run the marathon haha

Dev,

Don't underestimate the role that Mayor Mark Suttcliffe most likely played behind the scenes, to make this all happen. When you have a Mayor who is a keen runner and multi time Marathon-Finisher himself, even writing a great book on his own journey to the Boston Marathon a few years ago.

Road closures that are required for this kind of Event, and the permits needed, when first pitched to larger City Municipalities are often met with "No way" from City bureaucrats, and you work from there . . but having a Mayor who is supportive can be all the difference, and rare!

Overall this is great to see. There is a proud and rich heritage of Triathlon in Ottawa and a legacy going all the way back to the earliest days of the sport in Canada in the early to mid 1980's!

Fun fact, Sutcliffe is vehemently against the current practice of closing a road along the canal (part of the bike course) on Sundays for bikes, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Bluefishy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bluefishy wrote:

Most of the flat parts of the run course is on the paths on either side of the Rideau Canal:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful pics. You may have already answered earlier in the thread, but have you signed up?
The excitement from the local Ottawa community alone might be enough to get me to do this event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Fleck wrote:

T2/finish line will be in the exact trucker shutdown zone in front of Chateau Laurier HAHA

And residents thought that the truckers were bad with urinating in public...wait until they see Ironman triathletes. Haha.

Yeah, not sure what to think about Mayor Sutcliffe. He obviously pushed for this to happen, but he's well known as a pro-car, anti-cycling Mayor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping that Ironman will offer bus transport to the swim start from the T2/Finish area. Most/all races with split transitions do this, I believe... especially since some of the roads around Brittania will have to be closed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next