Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Iā€™m just gonna leave this video here and also let everyone know that the ā€œon course Bottlesā€ Gatorade Endurance is a completely different formula and ingredients than the powder formula that they sell that everyone trains with. Lionel learned this in one of his races ;) lionel was a sponsored athlete at the time but I donā€™t know if you remember he went on a nutrition kick after this race haha.

so you can actually buy the same bottles they sell on course from amazon here:

The bottle list the following as ingredients
WATER, SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, FRUCTOSE, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR, CALCIUM LACTATE, ASCORBIC ACID, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR)

you can also buy the powder that everyone trains with on amazon here:

The powder list the following as ingredients
SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, FRUCTOSE, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, CALCIUM LACTATE, CALCIUM SILICATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, GUM ARABIC, SODIUM ASCORBATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), BETA CAROTENE (COLOR)

Items in bold are differences

nutritional facts are the same

Seems almost identical to me

Last edited by: Tribike53: Mar 26, 24 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
talbotcox wrote:
Iā€™m just gonna leave this video here and also let everyone know that the ā€œon course Bottlesā€ Gatorade Endurance is a completely different formula and ingredients than the powder formula that they sell that everyone trains with. Lionel learned this in one of his races ;) lionel was a sponsored athlete at the time but I donā€™t know if you remember he went on a nutrition kick after this race haha.

so you can actually buy the same bottles they sell on course from amazon here:

The bottle list the following as ingredients
WATER, SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, FRUCTOSE, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR, CALCIUM LACTATE, ASCORBIC ACID, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR)

you can also buy the powder that everyone trains with on amazon here:

The powder list the following as ingredients
SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, FRUCTOSE, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, CALCIUM LACTATE, CALCIUM SILICATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, GUM ARABIC, SODIUM ASCORBATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), BETA CAROTENE (COLOR)

Items in bold are differences

nutritional facts are the same

Seems almost identical to me

Relative concentrations may be different
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Galveston 70.3 Athlete Guide now lists Gatorade for on-course nutrition. Previously it was "Electrolyte Drink".
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds you like you are very familiar with the make-up of this partnership.
So I am assuming that you are aware that the VAST majority of the partnership (value and fee) was in Gatorade provideding free product to IM and all of its races.

Not sure someone can 'strong arm' when they are giving away the amount of product that Gatorade does.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
Sounds you like you are very familiar with the make-up of this partnership.
So I am assuming that you are aware that the VAST majority of the partnership (value and fee) was in Gatorade provideding free product to IM and all of its races.

Not sure someone can 'strong arm' when they are giving away the amount of product that Gatorade does.

I donā€™t know what you are asking. I am aware of how the arrangement worked prior to this and I believe it was Gatorade who wanted to change the terms.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
The Galveston 70.3 Athlete Guide now lists Gatorade for on-course nutrition. Previously it was "Electrolyte Drink".

note past athlete guides stated "Gatorade Endurance Formula".

The IMTX70.3 athlete guide currently reads "Gatorade Drink" which is an update from the "electrolyte drink" you mention but not quite the same as past races!
Last edited by: Tribike53: Mar 26, 24 11:46
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't read in to the actual words used too closely, for all we know some volunteer or intern updated the Athlete Guide and wasn't really aware of what is was called in past races. The only thing I take from that is someone updated it with a specific brand.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I believe it was Gatorade who wanted to change the terms.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
I believe it was Gatorade who wanted to change the terms.

Lol!

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Concentrate the powder in fluid... ideally in large capacity fluid reservoir.

This. It's not too difficult to have 1 concentrated bottle for the first half of a IM bike and a second concentrated bottle for the 2nd half of the ride. And then use aid stations for water/hydration needs.

Other option is to use special needs with bottles already mixed. You may lose 30-45 seconds by stopping for special needs.

depending on the competency (or lack thereof) of the volunteers, this is realistically 2-4 mins or more. Def not less than 1:30. For someone fighting for a slot...
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNSki wrote:
stevej wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

This. It's not too difficult to have 1 concentrated bottle for the first half of a IM bike and a second concentrated bottle for the 2nd half of the ride. And then use aid stations for water/hydration needs.

Other option is to use special needs with bottles already mixed. You may lose 30-45 seconds by stopping for special needs.

depending on the competency (or lack thereof) of the volunteers, this is realistically 2-4 mins or more. Def not less than 1:30. For someone fighting for a slot...

So I used to do this.... the main issue is that it's still pretty imprecise for dosing (I would concentrate 3-4 bottles into one bottle, then mark the concentrated bottle with a line indicating "this is 1 bike bottle's worth of mix), and then try and mix a regular strength bottle at aid stations with water + my concentrated bottle. Way to easy to under or over mix, and if you're stomach is touchy, this isn't great.

I switched to doing ONLY regular strength bottles. 3 mixed on my bike to start, 3 bottles in special needs, and 1-2 ziplock bags with 24-oz bottle powder doses. It's easy to manage and honestly, the extra weight is negligible versus suffering from a badly mixed bottle.

Caveat is that I'm not worried about losing 30 seconds at special needs, knowing that I'd likely lose more with an angry stomach or being under salted due to mixing on the fly.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mountain_erin wrote:
TriNSki wrote:
stevej wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

So I used to do this.... the main issue is that it's still pretty imprecise for dosing (I would concentrate 3-4 bottles into one bottle, then mark the concentrated bottle with a line indicating "this is 1 bike bottle's worth of mix), and then try and mix a regular strength bottle at aid stations with water + my concentrated bottle. Way to easy to under or over mix, and if you're stomach is touchy, this isn't great.

I switched to doing ONLY regular strength bottles. 3 mixed on my bike to start, 3 bottles in special needs, and 1-2 ziplock bags with 24-oz bottle powder doses. It's easy to manage and honestly, the extra weight is negligible versus suffering from a badly mixed bottle.

Caveat is that I'm not worried about losing 30 seconds at special needs, knowing that I'd likely lose more with an angry stomach or being under salted due to mixing on the fly.

I used to do this when I used infinit as a newbie, 10 years+ ago. I would have a concentrated 3 hr bottle on the bike and a frozen 3hr bottle in Special needs. one reason I learned to "live off the fat of the land," was to avoid special needs. I am usually hunting the WC slot and finishing right behind the ones who get it. though I did get it 1x. I probably only have a full or two in me left, so I'll figure it out next year since I am only doing 70.3s this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't solve the on course problem, but just add sodium citrate to regular gatorade powder. Can get it for cheap on Amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just go with a "calorie bottle" filled with gels (enough to get through the bike). Separating the nutrition and hydration is helpful as weather conditions can skew the amount of each I need.

Key to this is always having a pre-planned PlanB. If I lose the bottle for some reason, I have a backup in special needs (if the race has one) and also know exactly what I would grab at an aid station as a replacement (typically a calculated amount of chews to stuff into the legs of my trisuit...no pockets).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems crisis averted for IMTX at least. No more endurance formula. I wonder why.

From IMTX FB group:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriNSki wrote:
stevej wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

Not in my experience. In the handful of times I have used special needs, a volunteer has always been calling out race numbers over the radio 100-200 yards before the special needs bags. By the time I get to the bags, a volunteer has always been standing there with my bag. Grab 1-2 bottles from bag, put them in cages, go. The exchange should take less than 10 seconds.

Yes it does happen that your number gets missed or a volunteer can't find your bag but that seems to be the exception not the norm especially for those towards the front who are going for slots. It's not nearly as chaotic or crowded compared to those who are coming by 60-90 min later.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At Choo last year I did the swap in ~10-15 sec. Add in deceleration into and acceleration out of SN and it wasnā€™t bad. I was 15 places outside of a WC slot and that 30-40 sec wasnā€™t what kept me out šŸ¤£šŸ˜„

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thatā€™s what I do as well. Itā€™s never taken more than 15 seconds to stop and swap bottles at special needs. Keep in mind that youā€™ll never get that bottle back. Where do they end up? I have no clue.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [TonyRad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TonyRad wrote:
Thatā€™s what I do as well. Itā€™s never taken more than 15 seconds to stop and swap bottles at special needs. Keep in mind that youā€™ll never get that bottle back. Where do they end up? I have no clue.

Dumpster.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
type-B wrote:
At Choo last year I did the swap in ~10-15 sec. Add in deceleration into and acceleration out of SN and it wasnā€™t bad. I was 15 places outside of a WC slot and that 30-40 sec wasnā€™t what kept me out šŸ¤£šŸ˜„

I'll point out that with this strategy, there may also be an aero penalty associated with carrying an extra few bottles around. I typically run one BTA and another BTS. I'd need close to 6-7 bottles for the whole race, so that would mean taking on two more physical bottles, with at least one of those on the frame.

Most of us could probably run 2x BTS and not suffer that great an aero penalty, but that's still 5 bottles total before you have to put something on the frame. Most of us would need 6 or 7 even at the pointy end.
Last edited by: timbasile: Mar 28, 24 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has a small amount of stevia. I got the packet deal they had a few weeks ago to try it out since Stevia is hit or miss for me also. Couldnā€™t taste it and no stomach issues at all, not even sure why they added any honestly.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [kris1351] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW: used some Mortal packets in my water bottles on several hard Zwift rides to gauge compatibility with my stomach/GI tract (no issues), taste (its fine- except strangely for the Barry regular, Berry salty I liked), and it was pretty on point from a cramping prevention front. Just add some gels/blocks for carbs and have at it. Found it a lot better to drink at race pace than any Gatorade product. Is it my favorite, no. Would I turn it down or be worried about using it for an important race, also no.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I just read that itā€™s Gatorade thirst quencher for races through June. Come July it will be mortal.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I read Gatorade was not available on the bike course at Oceanside and Galveston. Only Mortal. Both Gatorade and Mortal on the run course.

Apparently volunteers had to mix all the individual servings of Mortal. Iā€™m sure that was fun.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The GMAN wrote:
From what I read Gatorade was not available on the bike course at Oceanside and Galveston. Only Mortal. Both Gatorade and Mortal on the run course.
Apparently volunteers had to mix all the individual servings of Mortal. Iā€™m sure that was fun.

I only went for water on the bike course, wish I would have paid more attention to the other options. I didn't even notice that bottles the Mortal was mixed in. And yes both Gatorade and Mortal was on the run course. Mortal also had quite a few banners lining the run course.
Quote Reply

Prev Next