Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt Jan Frodeno will lose easily like that. Jason West, Jackson Laundry, Ben Kanute, they are fast but I don’t think Jan will lose. I didn’t think Jackson Laudry would win last year so there’s always someone surprises everyone. Penalty also kills the excitement sometimes. We will see.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laundry
West
Frodeno
Lagerstrom
Kanute

Jewitt
Findlay
Sodaro
Lawrence
Matthews
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Everybody's a critic, but few are willing to put their entire reputation on the line to do actual picks.

I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The boys:
1. West
2. Goodwin
3. Frodeno
4. Laundry
5. Foley

the ladies:
1. Matthews
2. Findlay
3. Lawrence
4. Lewis
5. Stage Nielsen

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri247's take:
https://www.tri247.com/...e-watch-live-preview
Saturday 1 April 2023 MPRO race will start at 0640 local time. (1440 in the UK, 1540 CEST and 0940 EST)
Broadcast live on Outside TV: free via web, mobile or connected TV app. Plus IM Tracker.
Hope they will be able to balance the MPRO/WPRO coverage. Likely more movement (Jewett and Matthews/Sodaro) in WPRO bike and run, but have to expect West to be down at MPRO T2 and looking to storm up (like Sanders did last year) to the front running pack (Frodeno, Kanute, Bergère and maybe Laundry).
Point made on ProTriNews was the incomprehensible intent to start the women only 2 minutes behind the men. Findlay and Lawrence will have to navigate the male 'non-swimmers' and be ahead of (eg) Long out of the water with a fair few of the 60+ MPRO starters behind him. You'd hope the men would blast past on the bike, but the implicit congestion seems unnecessary and risks affecting the racing: cui bono?
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Mar 29, 23 4:05
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There will be plenty of non-swimmers who also aren't capable of creating separation from riders as strong as Paula. 5 minutes would be a lot better for sure.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan is out :(

Has flu
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Jan is out :( Has flu
Bummer. His California luck has gone missing again, after the hurricane blowing out the 2021 IM showdown against Iden there.
I suspect Bergère will fancy his chances against Kanute in a foot race and just follow along for 150 minutes, but keep an eye on the small pack's time advantage over West.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I doubt Jan Frodeno will lose easily like that. Jason West, Jackson Laundry, Ben Kanute, they are fast but I don’t think Jan will lose. I didn’t think Jackson Laudry would win last year so there’s always someone surprises everyone. Penalty also kills the excitement sometimes. We will see.

I didn't pick Jan for the podium before the race. It looks like it was a solid pick.

I'm in the camp of he needs to show something before I'll bet on him again. He's repeatedly shown to scratch on race day at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:

I didn't pick Jan for the podium before the race. It looks like it was a solid pick.

I think there is a material difference between Jan not winning because he wasn't as fast as his competition, and Jan not winning because he can't start because he has a virus.

I'm not sure Jan getting a virus makes your pick "solid".
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually really surprised no one had picked Frodo to win out of everyone doing predictions so far, anyone who hasn't predicted who had a healthy Jan as overwhelming favourite??
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had him for the win. I don't think he is the kind of guy that likes to race unless he is sure he will be in the mix. And once he is in the mix, he usually comes up big.

My only worry was that he may do Oceanside regardless this year since it would be his last even if he wasn't fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:

I think there is a material difference between Jan not winning because he wasn't as fast as his competition, and Jan not winning because he can't start because he has a virus.

I'm not sure Jan getting a virus makes your pick "solid".

When he hasn't seen a start line in 3.5 years and nobody has an idea if he can start, let alone finish, let alone finish effectively, then yes my pick was solid.

This isn't 2015 anymore...He needs to prove he can show up at the start line. He hasn't done that in 3.5 years. Unfortunately, the sport has moved on without him.
Last edited by: Sub17Project: Mar 29, 23 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have suspected for a couple years and I am now convinced the only results we will see from Jan are…in order
1. DNS
2. DNF
3. Win

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
When he hasn't seen a start line in 3.5 years

You think Jan hasn't raced since October 2019?

https://stats.protriathletes.org/athlete/jan-frodeno
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Actually really surprised no one had picked Frodo to win out of everyone doing predictions so far, anyone who hasn't predicted who had a healthy Jan as overwhelming favourite??

I find it interesting that I didn't notice anyone pick Long in their top 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davegibb26.2 wrote:
Jackets wrote:

I also found this interesting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
I had him for the win. I don't think he is the kind of guy that likes to race unless he is sure he will be in the mix. And once he is in the mix, he usually comes up big.

My only worry was that he may do Oceanside regardless this year since it would be his last even if he wasn't fit.

Jan was never going to win this. Age is obviously not allowing him to train like he used to before without getting sick or injured. Time has past him by and this will be a tough and humbling last year for the GOAT. The problem now is that he is turning into an Ali Brownlee where he is more expected to DNS than to be competitive. Ali has always had a fragile body and Jan's body is just plain giving out. Both can't retire fast enough...

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:

I guess if you count Tri Battle in the summer of 2020.

Ffs it's been 3 years, since he's seen a start line. Don't get hung up on petty semantics.
Last edited by: Sub17Project: Mar 29, 23 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
The Guardian wrote:

Jan was never going to win this. Age is obviously not allowing him to train like he used to before without getting sick or injured. Time has past him by and this will be a tough and humbling last year for the GOAT. The problem now is that he is turning into an Ali Brownlee where he is more expected to DNS than to be competitive. Ali has always had a fragile body and Jan's body is just plain giving out. Both can't retire fast enough...

My thoughts exactly. The fanboys will never retire through. They're still stuck in circa 2013.

Will TO be racing Oceanside this weekend? Perhaps I need to reconsider my Oceanside picks. Hell, let's bring back the band! Someone see if Ali and Sebi are racing it too. I'll watch it on cable on my Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Trainer in my 2XU Sleeveless Trisuit.
Last edited by: Sub17Project: Mar 29, 23 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Men:

1. Ben Kanute ('cause why not?)
  2. Jason West
  3. Sam Long

Wildcards: Leo Bergere / Miki Taagholt

The Women:

1. Holly Lawrence
  2. Paula Findlay
  3. Tamara Jewett

Wildcards: Chelsea Sodaro / Maya Stage Nielsen

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:

I guess if you count Tri Battle in the summer of 2020.

Ffs it's been 3 years, since he's seen a start line. Don't get hung up on petty semantics.

For fucks sake, can you count?!?!?!? Challenge Roth: July 3, 2022 & all those races in 2021 (which he won) were only 2 years ago......................

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Mar 29, 23 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:

My thoughts exactly. The fanboys will never retire through. They're still stuck in circa 2013.

Will TO be racing Oceanside this weekend? Perhaps I need to reconsider my Oceanside picks. Hell, let's bring back the band! Someone see if Ali and Sebi are racing it too. I'll watch it on cable on my Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Trainer in my 2XU Sleeveless Trisuit.

While it's quite true that Jan has seen better days, I'm not sure the term "fanboy" is applicable to fans of Jan. He was really good. He might still be really good. Fanboy is usually reserved for obsessive or unreasonable fans. I think it's pretty reasonable for many to hold Jan in high regard - at least until we see him actually have a series of crap races.

That's different from Ali, who hasn't ever put together a decent string of long course, and Sebi who has been consistently out of the podium for many years, or even Lionel who talks a huge game, but hasn't found his 2017 form in a while. Jan has been a consumate performer for a long time. We have yet to see him consistently humbled other than for illness and injury - which shows he is getting fragile, but not necessarily that he can never be fast again.
Last edited by: The Guardian: Mar 29, 23 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to be such a great race. Really a huge toss up, not sure who to pick! Bummer to lose Frodeno's performance for sure, but still plenty of good racers going to be there.

Kanute
West
Long
Foley
Laundry

Lawrence
Jewett
Findlay
Sodaro
Matthews

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Last edited by: theyellowcarguy: Mar 29, 23 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davegibb26.2 wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Keep ignoring me with no consequences whatsoever :(

kajet wrote:

1. Benjamin Deal
2. Jan Frodeno
3. Ben Kanute
4. Leo Bergere
5. Sam Long
6. Jackson Laundry

And

1. Paula Findlay
2. Kat Matthews
3. Tamara Jewett