Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: T100 Singapore [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still lots of gaps in the coverage especially on the run. Tool a while for Frodo, Belinda, and Jack to notice that India Lee DNFed. We didn't have an idea why Simmonds went back or how Amelia Watkinson ran up the field. They probably just had two bikes covering the athletes, but seeing what's happening in the midpack is important especially with Ash winning and LCB getting 2nd seemed to be a foregone conclusion.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [runningeconomy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runningeconomy wrote:
Still lots of gaps in the coverage especially on the run. Tool a while for Frodo, Belinda, and Jack to notice that India Lee DNFed. We didn't have an idea why Simmonds went back or how Amelia Watkinson ran up the field. They probably just had two bikes covering the athletes, but seeing what's happening in the midpack is important especially with Ash winning and LCB getting 2nd seemed to be a foregone conclusion.
Agree: there seems to be this fetish for spending loadsa time with the very front end and miss the moves.
I heard them mention that Pierre had DNF'd. As soon as Lee dropped off the tracker it was clear Lee had DNF'd. Why doesn't the back room tell the commentators this?
Watkinson not showing on the tracker @ Finish (assume a chip issue): we saw her finish in front of Buckingham.
Three Brits in the top 7 (again; was 4 in 6 in Miami).
Lucy has another puppy; for the other two to pull to bits.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 13, 24 3:22
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They really should help the podium with a few steps on the backside so they don't need to make that climb with tired legs. đŸ™‚
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gentle 3:44:23
LCB 3:45:58
Visser 3:51:38
Watkinson 3:52:03
Buckingham 3:52:10
Reischmann 3:53:39
Byram 3: 54:08
Chura 3:56:12 Another solid result for both the last two - Byram contract; Chura wildcard. Latter has good chance of making the Grand Final on this and her Miami score.

Gentle PTO Ranking score: 100.99
LCB - about 99 which gets her up into #3 (behind Gentle and Knibb) in the PTO Rankings. Obviously she leads the T100 series.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 13, 24 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:
Agree: there seems to be this fetish for spending loadsa time with the very front end and miss the moves.
I heard them mention that Pierre had DNF'd. As soon as Lee dropped off the tracker it was clear Lee had DNF'd. Why doesn't the back room tell the commentators this?
Watkinson not showing on the tracker @ Finish (assume a chip issue): we saw her finish in front of Buckingham.

This!
Backroom or commentators needs to inform audience! And if top 2 is sealed get 1 camera down to the action!

With that said, jan belinda and jack is a really solid casting tri!
Last edited by: lassekk: Apr 13, 24 4:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. I think the worse the conditions are the better the stronger runners can do proportionally to their best. Lucy's 2021 70.3 Worlds title shows what she is capable of in decent conditions. I don't think Gentle beats her there. If the gap was around 5min she would have to run 1:13ish on a hilly course. No chance. The weather should be a lot better for the next two races. Then Vegas in October will be dry at least. We should get to see some competitive races.

Think I might elevate where I had Jason West after watching the women's race. Heemeryck didn't look good in Miami. Dk if he'll rebound. Sam Long is race sharp & will be up there. Have a good feeling about Baekkegard. Ali could win if he runs to win. Men's race seems pretty wide open without Ditlev.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I found the broadcast quite good. I suspect the first two races were like the pre-seaon and will just get better every race.

Have you intentionally stayed away from rating the broadcast in your race articles ?
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

This!
Backroom or commentators needs to inform audience! And if top 2 is sealed get 1 camera down to the action!

With that said, jan belinda and jack is a really solid casting tri![/quote]
Jan is great - Jack is pretty good but projects thoughts/motivations on athletes they don't necessarily have -- Belinda needs to stop talking over the others and stop finishing their sentences.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, great racing, really good live coverage and good commentary!
Scotttriguy wrote:
Belinda needs to stop talking over the others and stop finishing their sentences.
This is it for me (Dede too). Just stop talking over your fellow commentators; very, very annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having Amberger as the late drop-in for Gomez (and only 19 in field now Ditlev has dropped out) adds to the front pack in the water. Royle, Laidlow, Brownlee, Kanute, Smith.
Gentle took significant time. West will too, but the difference is he's chasing some good runners (whereas Gentle wasn't - Haug, Philipp, Matthews all absent).
How far will Long be back at T1? Four minutes? He gained a mere 30 seconds on Brownlee on the bike but then had an astonishing run.
West will leak time on the leaders on the bike: but how much? 3-4 minutes? Lost too much in Miami.
Please Brownlee: take the first 10km easy (or just stay with whoever's there, and back himself to push on if West or even Long (Miami version) gets too close). Laidlow will stroll it in again, in the first 8. Keulen on for another good result.
Be interesting to see whether Smith can be competitive - he almost never races against decent opposition.
Triathlon Insights (soi disant) blow-by-blow here:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Sodaro has stopped @1:06
DNF After a way below par swim she looked fairly average on the bike (and leaked time to the chase pack 2 minutes in front). Seemed to be slip-sliding away (on her seat) which commentators thought didn't bode well. Having to ride by herself: not her preferred race dynamic.
Got off her bike at an aid station.

Which Canyon model is this ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had money on Buckingham at 33/1 on a EW bet, so pretty gutted she couldn't hold on to a podium

On that note, we had what looked like a pretty exciting race between 3/4/5 but the camera crew seemed to think we wanted to see Gentle and LCB cool off on the finish line more than this!

Anyone know why Lee and Sodaro DNF?
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Had money on Buckingham at 33/1 on a EW bet, so pretty gutted she couldn't hold on to a podium
On that note, we had what looked like a pretty exciting race between 3/4/5 but the camera crew seemed to think we wanted to see Gentle and LCB cool off on the finish line more than this!

You told us that you'd bet on Buckingham which I thought a long shot. But she raced so well and ran better than I expected. After her gutsy half ride in Miami, I'm very pleased.
Was clear (well to me with 20 mins to go and Gentle/LCB 1/2 clear, see upthread) that Watkinson was, if not charging then not slowing down and had a chance of #4. Pure luck they picked up Buckingham on the blue carpet, panned round and Belinda surprised, exclaiming 'ooh Watkinson has caught and passed her'.

Ref Lee and Sodaro DNF: Idk but have asked and may know more later.
Lee seemed to be 'on' half way through the bike and went to the front of the chase pack. But after minutes she was back in the middle of five and then dropped back and lost more time when Visser went through and split the pack. Into T2 two minutes behind Gentle/Visser and when we saw her running she didn't look good. DNf'd shortly after (?after one lap).
Described Sodaro's exit upthread. I wonder if she gets demoralised real easy. When she has a good swim and wheels to follow (Kona 22) she is supreme, and knows her run will serve her well. But in several 2023 races it just didn't go as well.
Simmonds dropped back when Visser went through and not seen again, finishing last, 29 minutes down - megastruggle to even finish the run.
Twenty started (8 contract, 12 wildcard) 3 contracted DNF'd (Lee (after a lap of the run), Sodaro (half way through bike), Pierré (poor 30 minute swim, with Sodaro, Watkinson, Visser, Kivioja) very early in bike. NB Reischmann swam 32, 6 minutes down, and biked/ran up to #6 (122 secs off the podium). I reckon the wildcards are more motivated to finish as they appreciate the chance of another wildcard after a DNF is reduced. Whereas Lee, Sodaro and Pierre will just book their flights to SF (early June) (and maybe a 70.3 in between for Lee and Pierré, to qualify for Taupo; and for Sodaro to validate for Nice).
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore l [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Sodoro play the low carb game that her coach does? Maybe suffered more bc of it if so.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore l [AgMatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking out of my ass here, but she does seem to be VERY close to her coach so I would not be surprised if she took the same dietary approach as he does. I'll be curious to hear what she has to say, but it sure seems like she dropped out because she was having a shit day, which is extremely lame.

Great post race interview from Els who shouted out Sam and Lionel as inspiration for the shit swimmers who can still be competitive:
Last edited by: Lagoon: Apr 13, 24 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore l [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan is MONEY on the broadcast!

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be the Speedmax CFR. Just looks a little off from the angle.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sodaro has already validated her WC slot by finishing IMNZ, she started her season very early. Doubt she will be racing a 70.3 just for the sick of it
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Should be the Speedmax CFR. Just looks a little off from the angle.

is it the CFR TT UCI bike ? I am basing my impression on the way shape around the BB which is much larger on the Tri bike. I think.....
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 13, 24 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not believe so. But that's going off of past conversations / our photo galleries of her stuff.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I do not believe so. But that's going off of past conversations / our photo galleries of her stuff.

ya. compare the frame around the BB

this from an article you did.

Last edited by: marcag: Apr 13, 24 11:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure looks like the Speedmax CFR TT
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

This!

Triathlon Commentary leaves a lot to be desired. I find it interesting what this field especially for the men looks like, shows that this is not a preferred location.

Race ended up uninteresting at first, unsurprised with Gentle and Lucy. I don't think LCB has the run to go this short. Always thought he choosing PTO over the Ironman Series was a massive miscalculation.

Some people snafing and saying this coverage was better than Miami, I'm not sure of that. I will say, Jack Kelly has improved provided he's running first chair he is ok. Not clearly as bad as previous. So whoever at Moritz Events likes him, I'm surprised he's gotten so many chances. But he's not awful. But he cannot be a color commentator, his biases come out way to much and says the wrong thing. Play by Play, thought he was decent.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
lassekk wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

This!

Triathlon Commentary leaves a lot to be desired. I find it interesting what this field especially for the men looks like, shows that this is not a preferred location.

Race ended up uninteresting at first, unsurprised with Gentle and Lucy. I don't think LCB has the run to go this short. Always thought he choosing PTO over the Ironman Series was a massive miscalculation.

Some people snafing and saying this coverage was better than Miami, I'm not sure of that. I will say, Jack Kelly has improved provided he's running first chair he is ok. Not clearly as bad as previous. So whoever at Moritz Events likes him, I'm surprised he's gotten so many chances. But he's not awful. But he cannot be a color commentator, his biases come out way to much and says the wrong thing. Play by Play, thought he was decent.

Commentary is definitely better than last year. I still roll my eyes at Jack last year comparing one of the bridge over-passes to a mountain stage in the Tour de France, it' good that he hasn't said something outrageous like that this year (so far). I agree with someone else that mentioned that he has a hard time not projecting his desires and expectations onto the athletes, and the non-stop hyperbolizing is off-putting for me.

I still found the commentary palatable, and I can listen to Jan talk all day. I'm glad he is on the commentary team.

One question I have: the use of the possessive "of" is something very strange and I constantly hear it in triathlon commentary: "the wheel of Lucy", "the feet of Lucy", "the husband of Lucy", and it's so weird to listen to. Is this a regional thing?
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Here's Indie's insta post "didn't have the lungs" in another message.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5t0ggBytkR/
Quote Reply

Prev Next