Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is going to be my 4th dry january. I'll try to extend it a little bit more.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far, so good, but sometimes plans need to be altered.

I gave my tickets to tonight's NY Knick game to my son in order to avoid the normal pregame festivities. I usually pass on the $20 beers at the game, but those pregame rituals are harder to pass up. Easier to avoid it altogether. And this is why I do Dry January; it forces one to make these choices. All good, win for my son, win for me.

Keep it up all!
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jan 4, 23 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're only playing the Spurs, so you won't miss much

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
They're only playing the Spurs, so you won't miss much

You'd think but they managed to lose to the Spurs last week. Granted that was without Brunson, who has already proven his worth. Hopefully, payback tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run club from the local brewery wasn't quite the same w/o a post run beer, but I managed just fine. It was good to wake up this morning w/o the usual post run club headache and dehydration. Beer after a run isn't the best way to hydrate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 4. Thanks for arranging this. Dry January is a nice reset and evaluation of where habits may have been trending. Also, once I started tracking my sleep it became painfully obvious that alcohol = crappy sleep. Also cutting sugar down so...

Slept amazing last night.

(With all the sober-curious-ness leading to social growth in NA options, we checked out some options this week and FYI: Seedlip 108 and Ritual "gin", with no-sugar tonic water and splash of lemon, each make a different but decent G&T. Felt like we were enjoying an evening cocktail together w/o side effect and w/o wrecking sleep. Skip this if you want to also avoid similar habits, but we may adopt to keep true alcohol consumption down to select times.)
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:
Beer after a run isn't the best way to hydrate!

Not the best, but there's [some] science that also says that it's not so bad

"Inspired by a Spanish professor's groundbreaking scientific study proving that drinking a beer after a run can hydrate the body better than water, David founded the 'Fishtown Beer Runners.' The Philadelphia based club runs five to ten kilometers every week, ending up at a different bar, where they have a couple of beers and toast to 'The Professor.'"

Since I first heard about this movie & running club, I keep meaning to get across the river some Thursday and join these people

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's worse when this hits overnight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starting late. Day 1. Will continue through Feb 4th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Year 2. All good, but (only) on day 2. I convinced my spouse to join (1st time for her) but she requested that we start on 1/3 because 1/2 was the NYD holiday... We'll add 2 days (or more) at the end of January...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in…have seen this thread over the last couple years but not joined. 2022 was a crazy year for me…and he a hard re-set…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day four is done and we’re over 10% of the way there! Good work!

Today was really tough. I’ll share more when I have the energy but I got to witness first hand what having a really terrible relationship with alcohol can do to a person.

Onward.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Day four is done and we’re over 10% of the way there! Good work!

Today was really tough. I’ll share more when I have the energy but I got to witness first hand what having a really terrible relationship with alcohol can do to a person.

Onward.

Indeed. One of my employees asked for a week off to deal with his wife, and get her admitted to an inpatient care facility for alcoholism. They are both pretty young with 3 kids under the age of 10. What a mess.

I'm also on un-day 4 of 4. Still undecided....still sober.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Still undecided"

Oh, c'mon Tom - you don't go 4 miles into a marathon still thinking "I don't know if I'm in on this"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will be my 35th sober January, If only I could give up sweets!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
"Still undecided"

Oh, c'mon Tom - you don't go 4 miles into a marathon still thinking "I don't know if I'm in on this"

How do YOU know I don't do that? 4 miles into a marathon seems like the perfect time to quit...its only going to get worse from there!!!

ETA: 5 for 5.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 5, 23 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy day 5, everyone! If you started on the 1st know that you’re already over 16% of the way there. Every little bit counts!

Finally home and ready for Niagara Falls to run dry :p hoping for more good sleep tonight to string together some good days and get that HRV balanced again.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 5 and I slept very soundly last night. I did buy a 6 pack of Lagunitas N/A last night to celebrate tonight. I can’t say its a TGIF celebration since I’m retired so every day is Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in again this year. I think that this has been year 5 for me and it honestly gets easier and easier every year. I have seriously cut back throughout the year as well. When I do drink, I drink far less than I used to.

For those that are doubting whether they can do it or get cravings, give the NA beers a try. I absolutely love the Athletic Brewing options. Go on their website and there are far more options that you will typically find in the grocery store. In the summer, I typically drink when I go to the community swimming pool. However, instead of packing a cooler full of all alcoholic beer, I typically have at least 1/2 - 3/4 of them as Athletic Brewing options. I'm also amazed how many friends have jumped on the NA wagon.

Good luck to everyone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for making this! I’ve been around ST for a while but never really participated.

I’m in! My wife and I are doing no Alcohol and no social media for January. The overreaching focus is to live more internationally/by design. We’ve done it for a few years now and it’s always an eye opener.

2022 was a rough year that saw me have a almost losing battle with Covid that led to some neurological damage. Lots of reasons to drink with family/life/etc. Starting to get a hold back on life.

During the year I had some longer stretches of no drinking (seizure medications don’t play nice with alcohol). Think it was 3 months without drinking and it really opened my eyes to how it was affecting my mood/sleep/etc. As I got better I started having a beer here and there to finish the year, especially the holidays, so good time to reset.

For those struggling, for me at least in the past, the first couple weeks were the worst. Seems something always happens in life that wants to crack ya, the “habit” of not doing it makes ya uneasy, your body is stabilizing, ya gotta deal with issues rather than grabbing a beer, and so many other things. Once ya get through day 10-14, I always settle in. This time around is a lot easier since I had long stretches this year. Just like training, conditioning makes ya stronger.

Hopefully you’re like me and once ya see the boost you get emotionally and physically cutting out the drinks, it’ll get easy for ya. I do miss my 12% stouts , but, I enjoy waking up fresher, sleeping better, losing weight, and so on.

Stay strong out there ladies and gents! Unfortunately, most of us have friends/family that will call us weird and give us crap for not drinking. In one ear and out the other.

It won’t be easy but it’ll be worth it. If ya don’t have support, I’m happy to be it. I’m encouraging my athletes to drop social media and alcohol, even if only for a short time, just to see how those inputs and really affecting things.

"A wise man once told me......God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the weekend now, I have no issues midweek but I like a steak and an IPA on a Saturday night. That's where I will struggle a bit. Oh and a birthday party on the 19th. But I'll be fine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Friday night is going to be the hardest one. Busy week, tired, but headed to an evening yoga class to save me from myself. I like beer.
Last edited by: Dolfan: Jan 6, 23 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my 12th dry January. This year I'm also adding no sugar since I overconsumed in both categories in Dec. and need to get closer to race weight.

Day 6 and my family is avoiding me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for this month, with the caveat that I did a dry Dec 31, but had a few drinks on Jan 1 and 2. I'll go Jan 3 - Feb 2 for the 31 days. Kind of counts, right?

Monday - Thursday should be non-issues since we rarely drink during the week, but there has been something wonderful about cracking a beer on Friday afternoon/evening and on Saturdays and Sundays - it gives the mental break of weekend vs weekday. My wife and I are doing this together for the first time, hopefully we'll support each other with plenty of seltzers and club sodas over the 31 days.

Good luck to everyone this month and beyond as we establish and reestablish healthy behaviors.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [Sam M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m really glad you’re here to participate with us! We’ve got you!

Quote Reply

Prev Next