Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [Gurudriver10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gurudriver10 wrote:

The problem here is any special interest group can hijack the media and political system to get laws to fit their needs no matter how immoral their position. What if a group decides on a whim to make it lawful to have sex with or marry children? What is to stop them? What makes them right and the rest of us wrong? They can take over the media, normalize the acts, and then bend Congress and Legisl. arm to get it approved. We're just opening the door here by altering the definition of marriage. You may not see this on the horizon now but what happens in 50 or a 100 years? It's morality by whim, majority opinion, and bullying.

What gives anyone the right to change fundamental definitions? That's not discrimination. That's upholding what is normal and right. We all know that a household with a strong male/female, long-term marriage is by far the best for children.

Wow.

First, a large majority of the people I know do not think that a male/female long term marriage is best for children.

Second, 'normal' and 'right' do not always fit together. I got back to racial and gender discrimination. Those things were considered "normal and right" at the time, but no moral or ethical person still believes that today.

Third, I could care less about the definition of the word marriage. This isn't a discussion of semantics. We can call same sex marriage anything. I'd be fine with having religious unions be known as "marriage" and civil unions be known as, well, "civil unions" if that's all this is about to you. The only thing that matters is ensuring that they're treated exactly the same when it comes legal, fiduciary and all other aspects.

Fourth, I can't think of a single objective argument that makes same sex marriage immoral. Only within your religions viewpoint is it immoral. This issue forces nothing on you and shouldn't impact you at all. The only way it could matter to you is if you want to force the rules of your religion on other people, which IS objectively immoral and disgusting.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you marry me? It would be legal...

(channeled R10C for a second there)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must like men who are slow learners and gluttons for punishment. I should know better, but every time I see this brick wall, I get this urge...

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
Wow.

First, a large majority of the people I know do not think that a male/female long term marriage is best for children.

Second, 'normal' and 'right' do not always fit together. I got back to racial and gender discrimination. Those things were considered "normal and right" at the time, but no moral or ethical person still believes that today.

Third, I could care less about the definition of the word marriage. This isn't a discussion of semantics. We can call same sex marriage anything. I'd be fine with having religious unions be known as "marriage" and civil unions be known as, well, "civil unions" if that's all this is about to you. The only thing that matters is ensuring that they're treated exactly the same when it comes legal, fiduciary and all other aspects.

Fourth, I can't think of a single objective argument that makes same sex marriage immoral. Only within your religions viewpoint is it immoral. This issue forces nothing on you and shouldn't impact you at all. The only way it could matter to you is if you want to force the rules of your religion on other people, which IS objectively immoral and disgusting.

To be clear: morality and objective arguments seldom go hand in hand; for good reason. Morality is subjective on its face and throughout, immorality in this case is no different. Its not only his religions point of view. The majority of organized religions don't support same sex marriage.

When someone pulls laws out of their @$$, all we end up with are laws that smell like sh!t. -Skippy
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
link5485 wrote:
My diction was deliberate. I used mortal law referring to laws of men as opposed to laws of god. What does adultery have to do with anything? I'm certain you don't follow every rule in the bible. I'm also sure that you choose not to follow some of them. So tell me why this one should be? What is your criteria for choosing which parts of the bible you should follow and which can be ignored?
Let's go even further. Explain to me why we shouldn't follow sharia law? It purports to be gods law. Why not allow Judaism to inform our laws? Is the old testament not to your liking?

Such an excellent question! I've addressed it many times before but I'll go over it again. Moses Law was 3 parts: Levitical (priestly), National, and Moral. Moral Law always stands because we must treat God and those made in His image with utmost respect. Jesus fulfilled all parts of the Law. Fulfilled, not negated. So, we don't sacrifice for sins anymore, Jesus being that final Sacrifice and we are not living in the nation of Israel under the old Covenant. We have a New Covenant with God through Jesus. So, we can wear wool/cotton and eat lobsters now. : ) If we lived in the OT in Israel, we would constantly be reminded of falling short of the hundreds, if not thousands of little prohibitions. But in the light of Jesus' Resurrection, we have freedom go directly to God through Jesus, our sins being forgiven.

And your question about whose law do we follow is a philosophical and religious one. We can discount other religious laws by philosophy, sans Bible. Do you want Sharia? Hell no! On its face we know Jesus' liberalism and equitable treatment of all is the better path through love of all people around us. Judaism? No, I explained why in the first paragraph. Excellent question!

But we need to ask a question. Is marriage an entity unto itself (male/female bonding) or can culture arbitrarily change that definition? Do we allow culture to incrementally change our morality or is there an objective source upon which we can rely? The problem I have with this as a believer is the same problem you have, asking "who do we follow?" You are not a Christian but I am. Who is correct between our two opposing views? If you are correct, there is no standard, morality floats, and is subject to cultural whim, majority opinion, breakable social contract, or brute force. But we know there are objective moral standards; therefore, your stance must be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
Gurudriver10 wrote:

It affects me when the media is saturated with homosexuality. It then affects me when my kids are sexualized at an early age in the schools, public schools teaching them that what God calls sin is okay. Eventually, this opens the door to some rather bizarre interpretations of marriage in the future. What if someone wants to marry a 10 year old boy or girl in the future because the definition of marriage has been skewed? If you are going to allow culture to incrementally change moral definitions, where are the boundaries? Who is arbiter of morality in a society? It's not "immoral and disgusting" to uphold the traditional def. of marriage but it's a crime to let a decadent culture define it arbitrarily. You haven't thought this through.

Your first comment about male/female household not being the strongest is strange. I bet you were raised that way? I came from a broken home, however, and lamented not having a firm father figure. That affected me and still affects my decisions today. Kids need both examples, male and female. A strong male/female relationship at the head of a household is the best possible scenario. Trust me. I see that in kids who grew up with that. They are complete, confident, and generally know how to deal with groups. Prisons are full of kids from broken homes and that is one of the biggest common denominators in that population. A same sex home is one where a father or mother figure is not present. A broken home is the same. A two parent home where both parents love each other is by far the strongest, safest, and happiest home.
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [Gurudriver10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gurudriver10 wrote:
AMT04 wrote:

It affects me when the media is saturated with homosexuality. It then affects me when my kids are sexualized at an early age in the schools, public schools teaching them that what God calls sin is okay. Eventually, this opens the door to some rather bizarre interpretations of marriage in the future. What if someone wants to marry a 10 year old boy or girl in the future because the definition of marriage has been skewed? If you are going to allow culture to incrementally change moral definitions, where are the boundaries? Who is arbiter of morality in a society? It's not "immoral and disgusting" to uphold the traditional def. of marriage but it's a crime to let a decadent culture define it arbitrarily. You haven't thought this through.

Your first comment about male/female household not being the strongest is strange. I bet you were raised that way? I came from a broken home, however, and lamented not having a firm father figure. That affected me and still affects my decisions today. Kids need both examples, male and female. A strong male/female relationship at the head of a household is the best possible scenario. Trust me. I see that in kids who grew up with that. They are complete, confident, and generally know how to deal with groups. Prisons are full of kids from broken homes and that is one of the biggest common denominators in that population. A same sex home is one where a father or mother figure is not present. A broken home is the same. A two parent home where both parents love each other is by far the strongest, safest, and happiest home.

If the biggest impact to you is that you're going to have to be a good parent, them I'm okay with it. A lot of us disagree strongly with aspects of society around us and worry about it impacting our kids, but we can't control that. I'm irritated that my son will have to be so heavily influenced by the saturation of religion in our society, but I would never dream of trying to make your religion illegal. Instead, I'm going to focus on being a good dad and help explain why some people believe in that stuff and reinforcing reliance critical thought, logic and reason.

You keep mentioning concern over changing moral values due to our "decedant" culture, but you ignore all the examples where we've done this in the past. Those changes were unquestionably the right thing to do, yet at the time, opponents to them would be saying the same thing as you. I would argue that we're changing nothing about the morality of society, only finally realizing the some of our norms are in conflict with our morals. It's absolutely critical that we incrementally change our country. Unless you want to apply the rules as they were in 1787, which come to think of it were incremental changes from the previous government...

Your last sentence is dead on. "A two parent home where both parents love each other is by far the strongest, safest, and happiest home". I agree fully with that. Which is exactly why this isn't an argument against SSM. A home with loving parents is best, regardless of the sexual orientation of those parents. A SSM home is not a broken home.

-Andrew
Last edited by: AMT04: Mar 27, 13 6:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
Gurudriver10 wrote:
AMT04 wrote:
Gurudriver10 wrote:

Instead, I'm going to focus on being a good dad and help explain why some people believe in that stuff and reinforcing reliance critical thought, logic and reason.

Totally agree and I've laid out several reasons why critical thought, logic, and reason dictate the question, "Do we let culture make changes to our basic morality? If so, where do we draw the line?" This thread has largely ignored the big question. That is an extra-Biblical, non-religious question. The problem with man's morality is it's based on whim, majority opinion, brute force, etc. Who says what is right to keep us from being decadent or totalitarian?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conflating marriage rights for gay couples with marrying an underage minor is ridiculous. When you put forth such drivel, it becomes apparent to everyone how little you actually think. Give up on this, you clearly "haven't thought it through."
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [original PV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
original PV wrote:
To be clear: morality and objective arguments seldom go hand in hand; for good reason. Morality is subjective on its face and throughout, immorality in this case is no different. Its not only his religions point of view. The majority of organized religions don't support same sex marriage.

You assume that there is no way of basing morality on anything objective, and you also appear to assume that morality must come from religion. I believe that both assumptions are incorrect.

If, instead, we begin with the assumption that we should use words to refer to objective aspects of reality, then in the case of morality, we ask ourself just what objectively observable aspect of reality might moral terms ("good," "bad," "ought," etc.) reasonably be construed as referencing? That approach leads to a very different and very enlightening answer.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Wow.

Really? Where do you live? I live in one of the most liberal places in the USA (Bay Area), and very few people that I know would agree with your statement. (is it a typo). Wait a second, are you saying that "male-female" vs. "two-parent"? In that case most people I know believe that a stable loving two parent household is best for raising a child (they don't believe that gay parents are any better or worse than straight parents). Nevermind... ;)
Last edited by: oldandslow: Mar 27, 13 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Wow.

Really? Where do you live? I live in one of the most liberal places in the USA (Bay Area), and very few people that I know would agree with your statement. (is it a typo). Wait a second, are you saying that "male-female" vs. "two-parent"? In that case most people I know believe that a stable loving two parent household is best for raising a child (they don't believe that gay parents are any better or worse than straight parents). Nevermind... ;)

Maybe I wasn't clear, but it looks like you figured it out. I was objecting to Guru's assertion that it must be a male/female marriage. Almost everyone I know agrees that a stable loving two parent household is ideal, but that whether those parents are same sex or opposite sex makes no difference.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks (CEO) bitch slaps gay marriage opponent. [Eppur si muove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eppur si muove wrote:
original PV wrote:

You assume that there is no way of basing morality on anything objective, and you also appear to assume that morality must come from religion. I believe that both assumptions are incorrect.

If, instead, we begin with the assumption that we should use words to refer to objective aspects of reality, then in the case of morality, we ask ourself just what objectively observable aspect of reality might moral terms ("good," "bad," "ought," etc.) reasonably be construed as referencing? That approach leads to a very different and very enlightening answer.

Eppur,

Not that enlightening, actually. Again, your PhilMusings and this post fall short in many ways when compared to the greatest teacher who ever lived, who happened also to be 100% God and 100% man, Jesus. You view man as an organism with a brain but instead, man is a spiritual being, with a mind, who uses a brain and a body. Here are several flaws in your thinking as presented in the Bible:

1) INDIVIDUAL WORTH - You lack a way of assigning indiviudal worth. How do you go about assigning it to the individual? Jesus treated everyone with inherent worth, including “rejects” of society, who at that time would be lower than dirt, ie Lazarus who died on the same night as the rich man, the Samaritan woman at the well, and the prostitute who anointed his feet with expensive perfume. If you can’t assign individual worth, how can we be equal?

2) LOVING OTHERS - Jesus asked people to look through the 10 Commandments at their real, spiritual, “heart” attitudes. Looking at a woman with lust in your heart or imagining killing your friend constitutes breaking that commandment according to him. Jesus got at the real problem, people not loving each other as themselves. This also means forgiving people constantly, which is good for the individual and society. Judgment by the courts is warranted and paying damages for crimes is necessary but those never go far enough, do they? That’s right, ultimately forgiveness covers a multitude of sins. I’ve mentioned the incredible example of the Amish’ blanket forgivenss of the school shooter, extending that forgiveness to the entire family of the offendor. The MidEast could use a dose of this so we could all move on. Look how lack of love and bitterness has kept the entire world on edge there.

3) COMPULSION to DO GOOD - Jesus’ sermon about the Samaritan found on the road beaten compelled people to go the extra mile for others. In your atheistic, humanistic, evolutionist view, there is no compulsion to be good. Being good is a choice but there’s no real compulsion to do so. I believe atheists can do good things and be honorable but there’s no real unction for them to do so. What compels one to be good?

4) DETERMINING GOODNESS - Jesus’ grounds for goodness were based on a relationship with God, the only truly, eternal, objectively all-good Being. With the atheists, we know they can do good but what grounds their ethics? Does good actually exist for them in the first place. Eppur, you agree there is objective morality but on what is it based? How do you avoid relative morality? Is goodness merely calling what YOU like good? We have discussed abortion, which you disagree with, but with your musings and minimal ethical philosophy on your website to take a moral stand against it! You describe moral standards but have no way to prescribe for others, there being no real “bite” in your moral philosophy.

5) NATURALISTIC FALLACY - Darwinistic philosophy for the non-believer would point to letting the weak and starving die out and would encourage infanticide, eugenics, and euthenasia. But very few non-believers hold to this. Why do they go against a naturalistic tenet? Again, the problem is going from what they think life is, to what life should be (“is/ought”). It’s called the naturalistic fallacy. In short, atheists hang on to Christianity fo fill the gap and affirm worth of those who might be considered weak and undeserving of protection in a purely Darwinistic mode of thinking. Atheist Kai Nelson wrote, “pure, practical reason, even with good knowledge of the facts, will not take you to morality.” You might also say we evolved our morality, learning to cooperate with each other. But what makes us be good to each other in a naturalistic framework? Just because we evolved that way doesn’t necessarily mean we should do so.

6) ACTIVE, LIVABLE MORALITY - Christians live their morality, going to the ends of the earth to feed people, bring them medical attention, and technology to improve their way of life. The Havens and homeless shelters in my town are hosted by churches. We take in the "outcasts". Are atheists obliged to do the same? Yes, atheists do these things, too, but is it part of their belief system? The atheists know this is right but are they commanded to do it? There’s a difference. Christianity is a real force for change in the real world.

7) MORAL CONSTRUCT - Jesus pointed to his Father’s moral constructs but atheists point to morality constructed by and for man. Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot and others have also done so with disastrous effect! Luckily, American founding fathers acknowledged a gov’t for the people and by the people, not a people enslaved to gov’t to serve the gov’t. How did they accomplish this? They cited “inalienable rights”(morals) from a “Creator”. They are eternal and individual rights and they can’t be removed by man. But if morality comes from man, it can be changed by man’s whim, majority opinion, brute force/bullying. Our human rights in this country are “self evident” only from a Christian viewpoint. Without God, whose morality do we follow? Who gets priority or has more credibility? Human taste and opinion is the LAST place we should turn for morality!

8) GROUNDS for MORALITY - Eppur, is religion morally wrong? If so, shouldn’t you eradicate it? But on what grounds do you call religion wrong and who made you the arbiter of morality? If we deny God as Moral Anchor, what grounds our morals? We merely decide on our own what is right or wrong and then prescribe that for all? The moral law, which you agree is objective, must then apply to all and be eternal. That only points to a good, eternal God, then.

9) JUDGING a PHILOSOPHY - If we judge a religion or system of thought by its consequences, then we can do the same with atheism/naturalism. The track record is pitiful! Stalin, Hitler, Mao, and Pol Pot all created deadly hells on earth that kept the entire world on edge. Throwing out God automatically tosses out moral restraint of leadership and human value. Theocracies have done the same, pursuing an agenda of church power, tossing out restraint and value of individuals. This is why Jesus talks of following God daily in prayer, not following your pastor, priest, Pope, mom, lawyer, teacher, gov't official, etc.

10) The PROBLEM of EVIL - The question of evil and the presence of evil only affirms objective moral law and value of humans. The worse the crime, the greater the amplification of the problem of evil. Evil intensifies the need for good and justice and we tend to ask, “Where was God?” The worse the evil, the more we look for justice and correction of the wrong done. The Sandy Hook shootings strike at everyone due to the insanity of the crime juxtaposed against the innocence of the young children. The need for justice and goodness intensifies, even if one does not believe in God. The naturalist has no answer as to the question of evil but the Bible easily explains it, ie fallen man, who needs a Savior, in a fallen world with a fallen army of deceiving creatures out to destroy man and God.

I applaud you for recognizing objective morality but the problem is your morality is humanistic, giving in to whim, majority opinion, breakable social contract, or bullying/brute force. How do you keep it from being so? Who decides moral limits ultimately? You must still define those moral absolutes and you have only scratched the surface with your PhilMusings and website.

Non-believers want a seat at the table of morality but don’t have the credentials to actually be there, their morality being whimsical or driven by relativistic man. Only Jesus meets the demands of human morality head-on. Evil, justice, mercy, forgiveness, and love all meet on the Cross. God chose that symbol intentionally to show us where we stand and to lead us to the answer. Christianity answers well the hard questions.

Eppur, your view of morality is “good enough” and “gets you by” but it falls short of Jesus’ mastery of the subject. Jesus’ view of humanity is also superior, assigning worth to the “worthless” and upholding a standard of “Egalitarian with people, elitist with ideas; not the other way around.” Why would I want to re-write or adopt your inferior moral view into Jesus’ superior view? Now, with all this in mind, back to the original post. Ultimately, with regard to this “marriage equality” topic, what makes you right and my God wrong?

PS: I repeated this on your PhilMusings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gurudriver10 wrote:
It affects me when the media is saturated with homosexuality. It then affects me when my kids are sexualized at an early age in the schools, public schools teaching them that what God calls sin is okay.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gurudriver10 wrote:
PS: I repeated this on your PhilMusings.

I put my response there. It wrote it so well there that I don't feel any need to repeat it here. :)

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply

Prev Next