Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People weren't sure how much the abortion issue would effect the midterms and look what happened. Make no mistake womens health rights are a huge issue. It will be closer than 20 but Biden should win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
The reason he may lose is the perception of several issues. Reality is not very relevant in voting and the Democrats have long had a problem moving people.

Immigration.
This is an issue decades in the making. There is not a sudden invasion. We have a shortage of low wage workers then refuse to create a workable solution for those who want to do those jobs.

Crime....it's up.
It's not. But people feel like it is. If we returned to the crime rates from the early 90's people would freak out. Presidents don't really do crime though. But they get the blame for it. https://counciloncj.org/...d-2023-crime-trends/

Transgender
This is a giant fucking non-issue that is just the latest ginned up wedge issue. And it works. It is a sad commentary that people are so easily manipulated but here we are yet again. BTW - there are family changing rooms in an awful lot of situations where a 6 year old would be changing with an adult. Of course these same people would freak the hell out if a transgender man went to enter the women's locker room. People who focus on this should be smacked with a shovel. We are going to need a lot of shovels.

Inflation
The world shot trillions and trillions of dollars into the air over several years. This is the least shocking bout of inflation in history. And we didn't experience an absolute crash when millions of people stopped working all at once so the cost seems pretty much worth it. But yeah, now we have to pay the piper.

Whether Biden is responsible for the above is immaterial because it wasn't like this before him.
This statement ignores reality and pretends things are suddenly worse when they aren't. Like I said, people think some of these things are issues and reality does not matter, so it isn't like you are unique in your views.

You left off the biggest one. The dude is old. If he suddenly looked as vigorous as RFK Jr. it would be a walk.

There has been a sudden invasion locally thanks to Texas doofus....nationwide crime statistics means shit when talking about local perception.... Did you hear about the car breakins over on 12 Street? The Smiths had their house broken into while they were in Vail etc.

Family changing rooms are individual rooms

They don't care why inflation occurs just that it is

His age never came up

Based on your posts on this thread it sounds like you hang out with a lot of ill-informed people.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
What are the reasons the soccer dads would vote against Biden? Are there any good reasons to vote against Biden in this election? Presumably the soccer dads would have them, given their likelihood to vote R.

We all know that the big reason why Biden may lose is because of messaging. Trump has an incredibly powerful right wing ecosystem that protects him, touts him like he is their savior, and demeans everything Biden does/doesnt do. The same just isnt there on the left. But this is incredibly powerful, if you follow right wing politics - even tangentially you are not going to vote for biden - this is a lot of people. Biden in this ecosystem is a weak old man (he is) and Trump is some strong young guy.

Most who follow anything / has been in close contact with Trump - including Bush, Cheney, McCains family, Pence, Mattis, bill barr, john bolton, McMaster, Esper, Kelly, Milly, coats, mulvaney, etc.

If Biden loses it will be because of the right wing ecosystem, not because of anything biden does or doesnt do. In 2016, it was "anyone but HRC", in 2020 it was "I could vote for Biden, but I dont like Harris", and in 2024 it is "Biden is the only candidate I couldnt vote for." There is a pattern - to look otherwise is dumb. If it was another canidate the right wing media would come up with something - and HAMMER IT. They are very good at it, especially with trump on the horn.
Last edited by: sosayusall: Mar 22, 24 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
The Smiths had their house broken into while they were in Vail etc.

This may be your most valid argument. Too many country club Republicans who FYIGM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
windywave wrote:

Crime....it's up.

Well, no, it isn't. I appreciate that the right-wing talking heads say it is, or that it feels like it is, or that it sure seems to be, but that doesn't make it true.

The challenge for Biden's campaign is to have people understand that, in spite of a some ugly videos of people doing smash-and-grab robberies at the Apple store.

https://www.nbcnews.com/...-says-fbi-rcna144100

Great nationwide statistic....immaterial for two reasons....Nationwide doesn't matter only local and perception counts more in this case comrade

Local Chicagoland statistics count? Well yes, if Illinois flips red it is over. I think we need to know what is driving sentiment in PA, WI, MI and the like. I do agree that, unfortunately, perception is more important than reality.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
windywave wrote:

Crime....it's up.

Well, no, it isn't. I appreciate that the right-wing talking heads say it is, or that it feels like it is, or that it sure seems to be, but that doesn't make it true.

The challenge for Biden's campaign is to have people understand that, in spite of a some ugly videos of people doing smash-and-grab robberies at the Apple store.

Reported crime might be down, because in many places attempting to report it is a COMPLETE waste of time. Because DA's will do nothing.

Maybe the problem is you are calling the DA when a crime is committed and not the police?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are any of these soccer moms from Vegas by chance?
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
sosayusall wrote:
wild that all the soccer moms have your exact same views.

Sounds like Windy has been hanging out with SDG's "wife".

Which one?
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Transgender
This is a giant fucking non-issue that is just the latest ginned up wedge issue. And it works. It is a sad commentary that people are so easily manipulated but here we are yet again. BTW - there are family changing rooms in an awful lot of situations where a 6 year old would be changing with an adult. Of course these same people would freak the hell out if a transgender man went to enter the women's locker room. People who focus on this should be smacked with a shovel. We are going to need a lot of shovels.

I think the OP missed the mark on the “transgender issue.” I don’t think the presence of a transgender person is going to make a soccer mom vote R. If a naked person had something other than a flopping junk (like a hard junk), someone would care. But that’s not going to happen to any of the op’s soccer moms or anyone. It’s a boogie man. It’s a story to give thrills & chills. It’s a silly panic. It’s based upon the groomer-LGBTQ trope that has been identified and debunked. That groomer bit is stale.

Fair competition is the wedge issue that you don’t want people talking about. I understand that conflict stresses you out. That issue will cease to exist over time. I notice we don’t have lawsuits by unhappy athletes or other stories in the news right now. I assume it’s because sports organizations are working to keep their athletes happy. The extremists on either end of the spectrum are going to lose their cases and fairness will prevail.

Fairness in sports is a tiny slice of life, and it’s getting worked out as we speak. I don’t think this wedge issue will dominate in November.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your list is pretty good. But I'd change how you are presenting this.

For whatever reason, these issues seem to be sticky points for Biden even though the data doesn't support the conclusions (with one exception).

Crime isn't up, Democrats believe in sensible rules to protect women's sports too, Wages have increased at a rate higher than inflation for the since Feb 2023 (in reality, this is the ONLY measurement that matters when it comes to inflation. It is the collective mathematical answer to "am I better of than 3 years ago")

But as you rightly point out, these issues are based on perception, not reality and thus they actually ARE issues for Biden.

I think Trump wins because he is such a force (in my opinion terrible force , but that is beside the point when it comes to this argument) that he makes messaging impossible for his opponent. Not exactly how it goes down, but Trump lies about crime and the response is he is a liar. Everyone knows that, even the people who vote for him (like Tyler would actually probably admit that). So the response to the "crime is up" message becomes about Trump, and not about refuting the actual facts.

To me the only actual issue Biden has "failed" is that everyone is growing tired of seeing immigrants selling flowers with their 7 year old child on the highway. In New York they are doing this on the subway. It's everywhere and people are tired of it. I totally understand the issue: our immigrations policies haven't changed and there is no reason to blame Biden for this. BUT what has changed is that immigrants believe that it is better to immigrate when there is a Democrat in office and thus they have come here in unprecedented numbers.

The Biden administration has to keep hammering away for an immigration reform Bill. Biden needs to make the point that the only difference between his immigration policies and Trump's is that Trump doesn't respect these people (he doesn't, its disgusting, its him at his very worst.). Biden needs to drive home that Trump blocked immigration reform because he doesn't want reform, he wants derision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
The reason he may lose is the perception of several issues. Reality is not very relevant in voting and the Democrats have long had a problem moving people.

Immigration.
This is an issue decades in the making. There is not a sudden invasion. We have a shortage of low wage workers then refuse to create a workable solution for those who want to do those jobs.

Crime....it's up.
It's not. But people feel like it is. If we returned to the crime rates from the early 90's people would freak out. Presidents don't really do crime though. But they get the blame for it. https://counciloncj.org/...d-2023-crime-trends/

Transgender

Inflation
The world shot trillions and trillions of dollars into the air over several years. This is the least shocking bout of inflation in history. And we didn't experience an absolute crash when millions of people stopped working all at once so the cost seems pretty much worth it. But yeah, now we have to pay the piper.

Whether Biden is responsible for the above is immaterial because it wasn't like this before him.
This statement ignores reality and pretends things are suddenly worse when they aren't. Like I said, people think some of these things are issues and reality does not matter, so it isn't like you are unique in your views.

You left off the biggest one. The dude is old. If he suddenly looked as vigorous as RFK Jr. it would be a walk.

....nationwide crime statistics means shit when talking about local perception.... .

Then instead of being wrong ("Crime is up") why didn't you write that Biden could lose because "There is an inaccurate perception that crime is up,"?

I will admit that perception of crime, driven by ubiquitous video of crimes being committed that result from everyone having a video-equipped cell phone in their pocket, combined with the right-wing blitz that "crime sure seems to be up" has helped to drive that false narrative.

Biden will have to combat that narrative.

I also admit that data can come up short when people know their neighbor had a car stolen or, worse, the lady down the street was violently mugged.

I think that you have some point to make, The problem is that, like so many times before, you bury it in falsehoods and call people names when you get called out for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:

Immigration.

Crime....it's up.

Transgender

Inflation

There has been a sudden invasion locally thanks to Texas doofus....nationwide crime statistics means shit when talking about local perception.... Did you hear about the car breakins over on 12 Street? The Smiths had their house broken into while they were in Vail etc.

His age never came up

You could have just said, "I agree with everything you wrote and thanks for the correction on crime. I stated it as fact when it is incorrect perception that matters."

ETA - age may not have come up, but it is out there. No denying it. He is old and sometimes looks frail. If he wore RFK Jr.'s skin he could attack Trump on being old. But that would be creepy.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Mar 22, 24 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:

Quote:
What are the reasons the soccer dads would vote against Biden? Are there any good reasons to vote against Biden in this election? Presumably the soccer dads would have them, given their likelihood to vote R.

We all know that the big reason why Biden may lose is because of messaging. Trump has an incredibly powerful right wing ecosystem that protects him, touts him like he is their savior, and demeans everything Biden does/doesnt do. The same just isnt there on the left. But this is incredibly powerful, if you follow right wing politics - even tangentially you are not going to vote for biden - this is a lot of people. Biden in this ecosystem is a weak old man (he is) and Trump is some strong young guy.

Most who follow anything / has been in close contact with Trump - including Bush, Cheney, McCains family, Pence, Mattis, bill barr, john bolton, McMaster, Esper, Kelly, Milly, coats, mulvaney, etc.

If Biden loses it will be because of the right wing ecosystem, not because of anything biden does or doesnt do. In 2016, it was "anyone but HRC", in 2020 it was "I could vote for Biden, but I dont like Harris", and in 2024 it is "Biden is the only candidate I couldnt vote for." There is a pattern - to look otherwise is dumb. If it was another canidate the right wing media would come up with something - and HAMMER IT. They are very good at it, especially with trump on the horn.

Talk about living in a vacuum in 2016, the dems and HRC were extremely arrogant and chased away a lot of their traditional blue collar support as evidenced by losing Wisconsin and Michigan. I voted independent.
- 2020, Biden received a record number of votes. It was anti Trump anger that got him the record votes. Biden was the familiar face, the adult in the room compared to Trump. Harris was a bad presidential candidate, she didn’t even make it to the primaries. For only the second time in my life in any election, I pulled the lever for a D candidate.
-2024, Biden is a terrible candidate, Trump is worse. One is a confused old man, the other is an angry old man. I’m strongly leaning to sitting this one out.

Biden’s foreign policy has been a disaster. The world is a much more unstable place than 1/21/21. Countries have a good read on him, namely, he’ll be indecisive and play both sides. Good for chaos.
- We are bankrolling Ukraine’s defense against Russia. Russia didn’t invade with Trump in office. He’s playing both sides such as telling Ukraine not attack Russian oil infrastructures.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/.../2024/03/22/7447666/

- The Middle East is at war, after a lot of progress made by Trump to get Israel, the Saudi’s, and UAE talking. Now, we have the Israel - Hamas poopshow, with Biden not wanting to pick a side.

Trump wasn’t exactly a Winston Churchill when it came to foreign policy, but his overall craziness kept everyone from getting a read on him which kept troublemakers like Russia, North Korea, Iran at bay for the most part. You don’t want to start something like invade Ukraine if you don’t quite know what the US will do.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
windywave wrote:
Crime....it's up.
Well, no, it isn't. I appreciate that the right-wing talking heads say it is, or that it feels like it is, or that it sure seems to be, but that doesn't make it true. The challenge for Biden's campaign is to have people understand that, in spite of a some ugly videos of people doing smash-and-grab robberies at the Apple store. https://www.nbcnews.com/...-says-fbi-rcna144100
Reported crime might be down, because in many places attempting to report it is a COMPLETE waste of time. Because DA's will do nothing.
Maybe the problem is you are calling the DA when a crime is committed and not the police?
It's not me calling anyone. It's a chain of (non) events. Like in CA the people with carts full of merchandise going out the store. Security won't do anything. Why report it to the police? If they do the police won't "work" on it 'cause they know that the DA can't be bothered. Anyway... The above is more a down ticket thing Anyway with limited ramifications to the top of the ticket (I think)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The world is a much more unstable place than 1/21/21

You seem to be completely glossing over/forgetting the instability that covid caused.
Last edited by: sosayusall: Mar 22, 24 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a lot of ignorance in your post, a couple points stood out.

BBB1975 wrote:
- We are bankrolling Ukraine’s defense against Russia. Russia didn’t invade with Trump in office. .

Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014. The months that Trump withheld Congressionally approved aide to Ukraine in an effort to get them to spread lies about Biden were deadliest of the war up until that point.

BBB1975 wrote:
- The Middle East is at war, after a lot of progress made by Trump to get Israel, the Saudi’s, and UAE talking. Now, we have the Israel - Hamas poopshow, with Biden not wanting to pick a side.

Trump wasn’t exactly a Winston Churchill when it came to foreign policy, but his overall craziness kept everyone from getting a read on him which kept troublemakers like Russia, North Korea, Iran at bay for the most part. You don’t want to start something like invade Ukraine if you don’t quite know what the US will do.

Israel, the Saudi's, and the UAE were talking long before Trump was in office and continued long after he left. Hamas felt threatened by this, which is why they attacked.

Iran, and their proxies, were launching attacks throughout Trump's Presidency. You might have just heard of the Houthis but they were at war for all of Trump's presidency. Over 150,000 dead, Millions displaced. The ceasefire came when Biden was president, not Trump.

It is clear to any reasonable person that North Korea completely played Trump. Kim used this to improve his missile and nuclear program throughout the Trump presidency.

Outside of a few small wins Trump was an abject failure internationally.
Last edited by: Nutella: Mar 22, 24 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
chaparral wrote:
manofthewoods wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
windywave wrote:

Crime....it's up.

It's not me calling anyone.
It's a chain of (non) events. Like in CA the people with carts full of merchandise going out the store. Security won't do anything. Why report it to the police? If they do the police won't "work" on it 'cause they know that the DA can't be bothered.
Anyway...
The above is more a down ticket thing Anyway with limited ramifications to the top of the ticket (I think)

I am going to have so see some evidence for this and not just claims. Because there would be data to back up this theory, since most DAs are super conservative, you could compare data to more progressive DAs.

Because I find it hard to believe that the murder rate went down because a bunch of murders weren’t reported.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:

BBB1975 wrote:
- We are bankrolling Ukraine’s defense against Russia. Russia didn’t invade with Trump in office. .

Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014. The months that Trump withheld Congressionally approved aide to Ukraine in an effort to get them to spread lies about Biden were deadliest of the war up until that point.

BBB1975 wrote:

Israel, the Saudi's, and the UAE were talking long before Trump was in office and continued long after he left. Hamas felt threatened by this, which is why they attacked.

Iran, and their proxies, were launching attacks throughout Trump's Presidency. You might have just heard of the Houthis but they were at war for all of Trump's presidency. Over 150,000 dead, Millions displaced. The ceasefire came when Biden was president, not Trump.

It is clear to any reasonable person that North Korea completely played Trump. Kim used this to improve his missile and nuclear program throughout the Trump presidency.

Well said, above. Unfortunately, the spin has been effective, not helped by the afghan exit.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
BBB1975 wrote:

There is a lot of ignorance in your post. Israel, the Saudi's, and the UAE were talking long before Trump was in office and continued long after he left. Hamas felt threatened by this, which is why they attacked.

BBB's post is so factually wrong it is laughable. It is a sand is dry, water is wet argument.

Hamas, the Houthis, etc only have power if there is instability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:

Immigration.

Crime....it's up.

Transgender

Inflation

His age never came up

You are completely barking up the wrong tree with this crowd. Faced with reasonable arguments they feel backed into a corner and come out frothing at the mouth about how their understanding of the world must be right and anyone that suggests otherwise is a moron. Very predictable.

I said it before, and I will say it again. the immigration busses to NYC and Chicago are the best thing going for Trump and he needs to thank Abbot if he wins. Abbot should come out and say the busses will stop if Trump wins.

Any no, its not "perception" when the illegals are sitting on the freaking corner or in parking lots sleeping and asking for money. That is reality. And rich folks don't like to see it.

And it's not "perception" or "unimportant" when you see a video of a biological male roughing up girls in a girls bball game or men winning womens' sports events.

It's not "perception" when you can't pay for dinner or your grocery and gas bill are much more than they were a few years ago under Trump. Explain it away all you want as stupid people just don't understand why these things happen, but the stupid people just want to be able to pay their bills and if they think Biden is causing problems, why vote for him.

Maslovs hiearchey of needs. People don't give a shit about abortion, made up claims about losing democracy and other left wing talking points when their money doesn't go very far and they have illegal immigrants killing college girls out for a jog and standing around the local Wal-Mart parking lot.

Folks want to be safe and comfortable first and foremost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Nutella wrote:

BBB1975 wrote:

BBB1975 wrote:

Well said, above. Unfortunately, the spin has been effective, not helped by the afghan exit.

Propaganda works.

Biden has received a lot of fair criticism for the few months he managed the Afghanistan withdraw but the folks who think Trump would have done better are delusional.

Trump ordered Afghanistan troop withdrawals after election loss - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perception and emotion drive decisions. Logic and reason are mostly used to justify the initial emotional decision.

Windy is accurate IMO in a general sentiment of what's working against Biden.

I do think the age thing is a pretty major factor as well, and will become worse throughout the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:

Wrong, they want an affordable $5 sandwich first and foremost. MSAA!
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
they have illegal immigrants killing college girls out for a jog and standing around the local Wal-Mart parking lot.

Undocumented aliens killed people during Trump's Presidency. You, and the rest of your MAGA crowd said nothing. You did not blame your Dear Leader, you were silent.

As for killing people at WalMart, you also said nothing when one of your fellow travelers shot up Walmart because he was inspired by the same invasion BS spewed by Trump, Fox, etc.

El Paso Shooting Suspect’s Manifesto Echoes Trump’s Language - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
Quote Reply
Re: Why Biden may lose the election [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
SDG wrote:

Wrong, they want an affordable $5 sandwich first and foremost. MSAA!

Damn straight. Five Guys last weekend for a burger and drink.....no fries or extras=$17.50. outrageous. Biden OUT.
Quote Reply

Prev Next