Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Iran attacks Israel
Quote | Reply
Probably deserves its own thread.

Where does this go, and how fast does it go there?

Does the U.S. get involved? Perhaps shooting down drones and rockets?

https://www.bbc.com/...middle-east-68810053
Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:

I did not hear rockets, the report I heard was Drones, and they have not gotten there yet, so I guess its not officially an attack till they hit? I mean they could just be flying around.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:

Watching the news, it appears that the US is planning to try to intercept the drones.
Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

I did not hear rockets, the report I heard was Drones, and they have not gotten there yet, so I guess its not officially an attack till they hit? I mean they could just be flying around.

I'm not saying they have launched rockets or missiles yet. I'm asking if they do, do people think the U.S. would aid in shooting them down.

But what I am reading certainly implies the drones are the "blow things up" kind and not the "fly around and look at stuff" kind. Reports are saying they are Shahed -136 kamikaze drones and are part of an "attack."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Texting with my buddy who is at the Tel Aviv airport. His flight leaves in an hour. He says the place is chaos and that they might be the last plane out.
Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Texting with my buddy who is at the Tel Aviv airport. His flight leaves in an hour. He says the place is chaos and that they might be the last plane out.

Wow, scary stuff. Hope your buddy makes it out OK, thinking about him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

I'm not saying they have launched rockets or missiles yet. I'm asking if they do, do people think the U.S. would aid in shooting them down.

But what I am reading certainly implies the drones are the "blow things up" kind and not the "fly around and look at stuff" kind. Reports are saying they are Shahed -136 kamikaze drones and are part of an "attack."

Oh I am sure its an attack, but Fighters have missiles but you cant just go shotting them out of the sky. So when the drones are over Jordan does someone have the right to shoot them down, what altitude is international airspace?

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a very inefficient/low success rate to launch a bunch of drones at your target and they know they're coming, but will take "hours" to get there and thus have loads of time to prepare and enact countermeasures on drones that relatively speaking, are pretty slow moving targets themselves.

Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Nutella wrote:

Wow, scary stuff. Hope your buddy makes it out OK, thinking about him.

He just texted me again. Said they are doing the fastest boarding he has ever seen. Plane was scheduled for 1 am but the IDF ordered the airport closed at 12:30 so El Al is getting them on the plane now and they are getting out of there. Supposedly the drones should start hitting around 2 am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan and Iraq have closed their airspace. Supposedly U.S. Air Force patrolling the Iraq border area and will take out some of the drones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:

Nutella has a good buddy at the Tel Aviv airport. As long as his good buddy gets out of this OK I'm sure the impact(s) of this on the rest of the world aren't that important.

After all, Iran has never directly attacked Israel before. Nutella is an expert on the region and will be happy to tell you exactly where this goes from here. In fact, if you question anything he says he will immediately call you a liar and ignorant. So..... relax, sit back, and let Nutella "talk" you through this situation.

And for God's sake whatever you do, don't mis type the word "Cow-Tow" and take whatever opportunity you can to distract from how weak the US has been under Biden in this region if the last 3 years by bringing up Trump as much as you can. Bonus points if you can loop "putin" and "russia" into the conversation (you know, another country and region of the world that's now on fire that never was under Trump).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

Oh I am sure its an attack, but Fighters have missiles but you cant just go shotting them out of the sky. So when the drones are over Jordan does someone have the right to shoot them down, what altitude is international airspace?

Jordan has indicated they will shoot down drones that enter their airspace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't Iron Dome be able to take them out even more readily than they do incoming rockets? Ukraine shoots Shaheds down with heavy machine guns.

I wouldn't want to be in the Iranian military. Going to be some incoming strikes before too long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

You can just shooter fighter aircraft out of the sky, you just have to be willing to do so and to accept the consequences. Same with drones. You don’t have to wait for international airspace. We or Israel could ask any countries the attacking forces fly over for permission to engage in their airspace, or we could just take action without asking permission, and deal with whatever diplomatic concerns were raised afterward.

Reporting indicates this retaliation will include as many as a thousand drones, plus cruise and ballistic missiles. We’ll see.

It isn’t a surprise, since it’s retaliation for Israel striking the Iranian consulate in Damascus and killing a dozen including a senior official.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Seems like a very inefficient/low success rate to launch a bunch of drones at your target and they know they're coming, but will take "hours" to get there and thus have loads of time to prepare and enact countermeasures on drones that relatively speaking, are pretty slow moving targets themselves.

I've heard it argued that the real value of these cheap drones is that they are meant to exhaust the much more expensive resources that may be used to shoot them down. And of course you send enough some are going to get through, and the whole psychological and political angle of using of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [Tylertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap.

I might be a bit slow but I'm putting 2 and 2 together and starting to think that Tyler might be planning to vote for a rapist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

There are videos on Reddit of the Shaheds but also cruise missiles as well. Also looks like Israel is already hitting Hezbollah targets.
Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Shouldn't Iron Dome be able to take them out even more readily than they do incoming rockets? Ukraine shoots Shaheds down with heavy machine guns.

I wouldn't want to be in the Iranian military. Going to be some incoming strikes before too long.

Slow low flying drones are some of the toughest targets. It is just so difficult to detect them. Or at least reliably detect them without also detecting a bunch of false targets.

You have a better chance if you have an airborne radar, but then you need one flying and looking the right spot, which makes this case today one of the easier examples since Israel has time to scramble their awecs. Of course if don’t know if Israel has the ability to target interceptors from data from an airborne radar, since that is generally not needed or present for ballistic missile intercepts.

Fighters with the newest pythons could also likely shoot them down, but that is a very expensive option versus the cost of the drone.
Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
It isn’t a surprise, since it’s retaliation for Israel striking the Iranian consulate in Damascus and killing a dozen including a senior official.

Exactly, Iran needs to “restore deterrence”.

I am sure that the people that said another countries must use force to “restore deterrence” after being attacked will also support Iran doing the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [Tylertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tylertri wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

Nutella has a good buddy at the Tel Aviv airport. As long as his good buddy gets out of this OK I'm sure the impact(s) of this on the rest of the world aren't that important.

After all, Iran has never directly attacked Israel before. Nutella is an expert on the region and will be happy to tell you exactly where this goes from here. In fact, if you question anything he says he will immediately call you a liar and ignorant. So..... relax, sit back, and let Nutella "talk" you through this situation.

And for God's sake whatever you do, don't mis type the word "Cow-Tow" and take whatever opportunity you can to distract from how weak the US has been under Biden in this region if the last 3 years by bringing up Trump as much as you can. Bonus points if you can loop "putin" and "russia" into the conversation (you know, another country and region of the world that's now on fire that never was under Trump).

What the fuck is wrong with you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Holy crap.

I might be a bit slow but I'm putting 2 and 2 together and starting to think that Tyler might be planning to vote for a rapist.

And I was impressed, how everyone just ignored him, lets keep that going.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Endo wrote:

I've heard it argued that the real value of these cheap drones is that they are meant to exhaust the much more expensive resources that may be used to shoot them down. And of course you send enough some are going to get through, and the whole psychological and political angle of using of them.

So if we get the okay from Jordan, could this be a turkey shoot for and some gunfire practice for our fighters?

I mean bullets are cheap, could you just start shooting at them from a jet? (I guess you risk them exploding so need to keep some distance).

This seems to be an area, we need improved defenses. I mean some kind of drag behind netting to just scoop them up would be cool, if it could be done.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
DieselPete wrote:
Holy crap.

And I was impressed, how everyone just ignored him, lets keep that going.

I've maintained for a while here that all you have to do is ignore these trolls and they will go away or change their behavior, but some people must get something out of engaging with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Endo wrote:

So if we get the okay from Jordan, could this be a turkey shoot for and some gunfire practice for our fighters?

I mean bullets are cheap, could you just start shooting at them from a jet? (I guess you risk them exploding so need to keep some distance).

This seems to be an area, we need improved defenses. I mean some kind of drag behind netting to just scoop them up would be cool, if it could be done.

Still not a turkey shoot. You need to know where the drones are. And then have guns in the right place to shoot them.
Quote Reply
Re: Iran attacks Israel [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Tylertri wrote:
DieselPete wrote:

What the fuck is wrong with you?

NDS
Quote Reply

Prev Next