Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The intersection of trans, youth, and sport
Quote | Reply
Interesting article. Almost makes mincemeat of people with black and white positions on all of this. But maybe Mr Blakeman from Nassau Co. NY will swoop in and save the day.

Federal appeals court blocks West Virginia from enforcing anti-trans sports ban against 13-year-old girl
https://www.cnn.com/...ports-ban/index.html

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As one might expect, the two judges in the majority are D appointees, and the dissenting judge is an R appointee.

The decision:

https://wp.api.aclu.org/...2024/04/Document.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Almost makes mincemeat of people with black and white positions on all of this.

How, exactly? Most arguments I’ve seen either say no, or OK if the athlete hasn’t gone through puberty. Seems like a pretty straightforward take in this situation and no new argument I’ve seen.

Where is this “minemeat” you speak of?

Given your continued insertion of Blakeman into posts, even ones where he is not discussed, I’m led to believe your interests are purely political rather than caring about the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

How, exactly? Most arguments I’ve seen either say no, or OK if the athlete hasn’t gone through puberty. Seems like a pretty straightforward take in this situation and no new argument I’ve seen.

Given your continued insertion of Blakeman into posts, even ones where he is not discussed, I’m led to believe your interests are purely political rather than caring about the issue.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38413534/

This is probably more interesting to read and discuss than the mindless dreck the OP posted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

The problem is a legal one, and this will not be the end. The ruling uses Title IX, a law that was supposed to protect girls in sports, as its justification. It has been twisted in a way that does just the opposite, and that is going to cause problems. The law says that you can't discriminate based on sex, and this court has decided that also means sexual orientation. That is the problem many of us have.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

The problem is a legal one, and this will not be the end.

Yes, this.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
As one might expect, the two judges in the majority are D appointees, and the dissenting judge is an R appointee.

The decision:

1. Is there anyone or group that did not weigh in ?
2. Can we expect that some of the legal representation was provided pro bono.
3. Am I the only one who finds the D and R schism in the law on matters of this culture war disturbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I do find the issue compelling. While the solution, if there is one, is clearly not staightforward, the issue is a remarkable rorschach test of this era.

No, l just mentioned Blakeman for entertainment value.

--
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
3. Am I the only one who finds the D and R schism in the law on matters of this culture war disturbing.

Nope. I'm a life long registered Republican that has voted Democrat, generally, since about 2012. I don't understand why this is even being discussed. It seems very simple to me.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
gofigure wrote:

Nope. I'm a life long registered Republican that has voted Democrat, generally, since about 2012. I don't understand why this is even being discussed. It seems very simple to me.

It is being discussed because the GOP thinks they can use the demonization of trans people for political gain.

The reality is this topic should be managed by the individual sporting federations. Big government edicts are not the answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
ike wrote:

The decision:

2. Surely, yes.

3. Yes, but no more so than on other issues where the same schism arises. Ds and Rs often have different fundamental values, and that shows up in cases where those values have to be balanced/ weighed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
ike wrote:

The decision:

I don’t think the schism is as bad as you might think.

I know of exactly ZERO liberals who think there should be no legal protection for cis girls and women in sports. I’m a very liberal liberal and I wholeheartedly and unreservedly agree that some protection of girls and women is required by our laws as well as general notions of fairness and good sportsmanship.

It seems obviously to many people that trans athletes should be afforded some legal protections as well. Who/ what/ when/ where/ how are all questions that determine the balance of rights.

I woke up feeling optimistic today. I think most people recognize the value of community and the need to balance rights so that everyone can enjoy and participate in community. We’ll get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Puberty blocking hormones do not make the penis shrink into a clitoris and testicles / sack fully disappear...
Last edited by: synthetic: Apr 17, 24 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Puberty blocking hormones do not make the penis shrink into a clitoris and testicles / sack fully disappear...

And this is why the CHAGA movement is doomed. lol
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38413534/

This is probably more interesting to read and discuss than the mindless dreck the OP posted

That study has little to do with the topic.

It is common for young children (3-7) to question their gender. The vast majority of these young child desist. For a diagnosis of gender dysphoria, or for someone to be trans, the gender incongruence needs to be persistent.

Conflating gender questioning youth with trans youth is a common bad faith talking point pushed by the trans panic crowd. It only serves to confirm their limited understanding of the topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

The problem is a legal one, and this will not be the end. The ruling uses Title IX, a law that was supposed to protect girls in sports, as its justification. It has been twisted in a way that does just the opposite, and that is going to cause problems. The law says that you can't discriminate based on sex, and this court has decided that also means sexual orientation. That is the problem many of us have.

Gender identification, not sexual orientation. Sexual orientation is who you're attracted to.

The athlete identifies as a girl. If we take that identification at face value, she should be awarded the same protections that title IX afford to all women. The problem is anatomically and physiologically she is a boy.

This always seems to distill down to the same question we have been flogging to death for years now which is what actually makes a woman a woman. Anatomy? Self identification? Some combination of the two?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I'm not arguing that this isn't a legal issue. In fact it has been argued as such on both sides. Both are citing Title IX but it still comes back to the same hurdle "how are we defining a woman."

My question to DSW was how did this particular articles make "mincemeat" of the people with black and white positions on the matter. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly I don't see anything in that writeup that undercuts the notion of "biological males shouldn't compete against biological females."

EDIT: Also not sure where sexual orientation comes into the trans sports issue.
Last edited by: Yeeper: Apr 17, 24 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:

I know of exactly ZERO liberals who think there should be no legal protection for cis girls and women in sports.

Really? This surprises me. There seems to be a pretty big push amongst the left to fully accept trans women as women in all aspects. To do so means acceptance in the change rooms, in competition, on the podiums etc.

I feel like if it weren't liberals pushing this so hard it wouldn't even be a discussion.

Quote:
I’m a very liberal liberal and I wholeheartedly and unreservedly agree that some protection of girls and women is required by our laws as well as general notions of fairness and good sportsmanship.

Just curious to dig a bit deeper here. As a very liberal liberal, and a woman, what are your personal views on what protections should be afforded to women to protect fairness and good sportsmanship? If you could wave a magic wand and create a set of rules or standards to include trans women yet protect cis women in sports, where would that line be?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:

I know of exactly ZERO liberals who think there should be no legal protection for cis girls and women in sports. I’m a very liberal liberal and I wholeheartedly and unreservedly agree that some protection of girls and women is required by our laws as well as general notions of fairness and good sportsmanship.

It seems obviously to many people that trans athletes should be afforded some legal protections as well. Who/ what/ when/ where/ how are all questions that determine the balance of rights.

I woke up feeling optimistic today. I think most people recognize the value of community and the need to balance rights so that everyone can enjoy and participate in community. We’ll get there.

Well-said.

Where do you think reasonable fairness can start for inclusion and fairness for all on this subject? I mean this seriously considering the LI thread went a different direction.

I thought that law did a good job of starting to identify the who/what/when/where/why.

I am in full agreement that both trans individuals and biological women need and deserve protections and fairness in the best way possible. And I believe "best way possible" is where the disagreements meet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:

My question to DSW was how did this particular articles make "mincemeat" of the people with black and white positions on the matter. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly I don't see anything in that writeup that undercuts the notion of "biological males shouldn't compete against biological females."

That's just DSW flexing the masters degree in click bait he received from the prestigious Big Kahuna School of Bullshit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I do find the issue compelling. While the solution, if there is one, is clearly not staightforward, the issue is a remarkable rorschach test of this era.

No, l just mentioned Blakeman for entertainment value.

This is why there is such a disagreement. Because when dealing with fairness in sport physical ability and biological gender has often been the gold standard for creating a level playing field so to speak. And further, that is separated into weight classes for fairness. So many people find that the solution is very straightforward in terms of physical realities. Biology dictates the fairest designations. Whats so complicated about that?

Its funny you mention rorschach as that is widely accepted as a measure of emotion with respect to the lens an individual looks through. And generally emotion is not a great driver of logical and rationale.

Entertainment value? Love to crack yourself up i guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

Well-said.

Where do you think reasonable fairness can start for inclusion and fairness for all on this subject? I mean this seriously considering the LI thread went a different direction.

I thought that law did a good job of starting to identify the who/what/when/where/why.

I am in full agreement that both trans individuals and biological women need and deserve protections and fairness in the best way possible. And I believe "best way possible" is where the disagreements meet.

The case in the article talks about a trans girl that did not have (male) puberty. I too feel that biological males that have gone through male puberty should not compete directly against biological females for podiums, prizes, etc. if the biological females do not want it. (But if the biological females are all for it, then I think I am good with it.)

But this is not an adult, this is a trans female that did not have (male) puberty. Apparently, some people feel she could compete fairly against biological females. But others feel that she should not compete against biological females. Can you use your black/white viewpoint to solve this issue and make everybody happy? (competitors, parents, politicians, the local community, random onlookers, etc.) I ask this because I do not see an immediate easy answer that will be happily accepted by everyone. Do you?

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 17, 24 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
[]

And this is why the CHAGA movement is doomed. lol
CHAGA=?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Barks&Purrs wrote:

Well-said.

The case in the article talks about a trans girl that did not have (male) puberty. I too feel that (adult) biological males that have gone through male puberty should not compete directly against biological females for podiums, prizes, etc. if the biological females do not want it. (But if the biological females are all for it, then I am good with it.)

But this is not an adult, this is a trans female that did not even have puberty. Apparently, some people feel she could compete fairly against biological females. But others feel that she should not compete against biological females. Can you use your black/white viewpoint to solve this issue and make everybody happy? (competitors, parents, politicians, the local community, random onlookers, etc.) I ask this because I do not see an immediate easy answer that will be happily and fully accepted by everyone. Do you?

Your flawed premise is that you keep painting with broad inclusive brush strokes.

Not all women are ok with competing against biological males. Not EVERYONE will be happy. And not EVERYONE must be happy. Emotions are going to cloud lots of minds. People will be angry and confused. Thats just the way it goes.

But stop with the broad generalized assumptions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, no worries, what is your best solution to the case in the OP, a solution that you think will be fair and make the most people happy? i.e., your "best way possible."

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 17, 24 9:52
Quote Reply

Prev Next