Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Big govt got involved initially to protect women with title IX (for all avenues not just sport). So why would it now inappropriate for big govt to get invovled to protect them again?

So, if our society has a problem, you are good with big government stepping in for any and all such problems?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

This is a growing issue that is a widely politicized one.

Is it really a growing issue?

When Utah passed it's law it had 75,000 High School athletes. Only one of them was M2F trans
When Alabama passed it's bill there were 190,000 High School athletes in the state. Not a single one was trans
When Mississippi passed it's ban there were 107,000 High School athletes in the state. Not a single one was trans. None in High School, Middle School, or college.
The IOC has allowed Trans athletes for 20+ years. In that time there has been a single trans Olympian, who would no longer qualfiy under the updated IOC regulations.

The primary push behind these laws is politicians using trans people for political gain, it is not because trans people are taking over women's sport.

The correct path is for this to be managed by the federations. Big Government regulation is not the answer.

When a male won a NCAA women's national title, it forced a response so that doesn't happen again.

I think most people would have assumed that something like the Thomas situation simply wouldn't be allowed to happen, that it must be a rule violation and surely they (sport governing bodies) wouldn't let an obvious male win a premier women's championship, but then it happened, and nobody with the sport governing body stepped in. I think there's sufficient reason to have generally lost trust in sport governing bodies such as the NCAA.

Do we now wait for it to happen again?
Last edited by: 307trout: Apr 19, 24 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Big govt got involved initially to protect women with title IX (for all avenues not just sport). So why would it now inappropriate for big govt to get invovled to protect them again?

So, if our society has a problem, you are good with big government stepping in for any and all such problems?

Edit: for social justice? Yea
Last edited by: Yeeper: Apr 19, 24 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

That seems to be a highly unconservative approach. Would you then call yourself a liberal?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

This situation might be the "Title IX Loophole". I doubt 50 years ago that people thought they'd have to rigorously define what a woman was... You can fix the loophole by increasing the strength of the legislation, or by deleting it altogether. Seems like most people would prefer the former.
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

When Utah passed it's law it had 75,000 High School athletes. Only one of them was M2F trans
When Alabama passed it's bill there were 190,000 High School athletes in the state. Not a single one was trans
When Mississippi passed it's ban there were 107,000 High School athletes in the state. Not a single one was trans. None in High School, Middle School, or college.
The IOC has allowed Trans athletes for 20+ years. In that time there has been a single trans Olympian, who would no longer qualfiy under the updated IOC regulations.

The primary push behind these laws is politicians using trans people for political gain, it is not because trans people are taking over women's sport.

The correct path is for this to be managed by the federations. Big Government regulation is not the answer.

When a male won a NCAA women's national title, it forced a response so that doesn't happen again.

I think most people would have assumed that something like the Thomas situation simply wouldn't be allowed to happen, that it must be a rule violation and surely they (sport governing bodies) wouldn't let an obvious male win a premier women's championship, but then it happened, and nobody with the sport governing body stepped in. I think there's sufficient reason to have generally lost trust in sport governing bodies such as the NCAA.

You are giving far too much credit to one person. Most of the were passed before Lia won anything. Most of the sporting federations had been working on updates to their transgender policies for years before they finally announced them. These were not overnight decisions.
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

That seems to be a highly unconservative approach. Would you then call yourself a liberal?

As a liberal, I love the law. I love the development and implementation of thoughtful, balanced laws. If anarchy is rejection of laws, then that’s not my cup of tea. However, I do not like jackasses making laws and engaging in jackassery. That’s where I draw the line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Why are you so concerned about how people label themselves politically?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

You are giving far too much credit to one person. Most of the were passed before Lia won anything. Most of the sporting federations had been working on updates to their transgender policies for years before they finally announced them. These were not overnight decisions.

One person changed it from a relatively obscure issue to a front page problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

When did trans women start winning at youth and college levels?

When title IX was passed there was a large, well-documented, disparity between the treatment, and resources, available to women in federally funded education. There was only one path to addressing the issues that Title IX addressed. Contrast that to the "protect women's sports" campaign. In most states there were no trans athletes and there was well established path, the sporting federations, to address sports related rules and policies.
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

In my personal life, I do not concern myself with this, I hold positions on a case-by-case basis. But on this forum, it seems that labels are used super often (left, right, liberal, conservative, etc.) and tribal affiliation is what is king. So I wonder, with people here that do feel they are conservative (or whatever), how they wrap their heads around taking a position that is diametrically opposed to their tribal affiliation.

--
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
"Exactly" is a strong word, but there's plenty of research on the growth in self-reported transgender status. Here's one example from the NIH. You can see skyrocketing rates in Figure 3. The speculation is that people who would have hidden it and are now less likely to hide it.

Going from 1 in 1,000,000 to 3 in 1,000,000 is also a skyrocketing rate, but still small.

Here is what you said:

Quote:
A few years ago we might have though the #'s would be so small we could just let it pass. But it appears that the numbers may bring the issue to a head. (no pun intended)

You claim if the numbers are small, it could be given a pass. Since you are saying they are too large to be given a pass, what are the numbers then?

You can’t say small numbers could be given a pass and then claim the numbers are too large to give a pass without knowing the numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

In my personal life, I do not concern myself with this, I hold positions on a case-by-case basis. But on this forum, it seems that labels are used super often (left, right, liberal, conservative, etc.) and tribal affiliation is what is king. So I wonder, with people here that do feel they are conservative (or whatever), how they wrap their heads around taking a position that is diametrically opposed to their tribal affiliation.

I would respectfully disagree. I think most people on this forum hold a wide range of opinions and are fairly moderate. Yes, we have our diehards on both sides of the political spectrum, but I certainly wouldn't think a poster like Yeeper falls in to that category. I don't believe he is someone who goes around blindly championing conservative values, their party or their leader at all.

I think those labels are more often used like you just did. It's not people self identifying with their tribe, it's others labeling people they disagree with so it's easier to dismiss them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

You think conservatives are against all social justice and protections? And you think if I’m in support of some govt involvement im a liberal?

Again I repeat you have a warped view of politics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
I would respectfully disagree. I think most people on this forum hold a wide range of opinions and are fairly moderate. Yes, we have our diehards on both sides of the political spectrum, but I certainly wouldn't think a poster like Yeeper falls in to that category. I don't believe he is someone who goes around blindly championing conservative values, their party or their leader at all.

I think those labels are more often used like you just did. It's not people self identifying with their tribe, it's others labeling people they disagree with so it's easier to dismiss them.

Perhaps you are right. But I see so much of the 'attack the messenger' (the messenger, being a poster on this forum, not some random politician) strategy used here, that I assumed it was all about tribal affiliation. Unlike you, while I do observe some variation in people's positions, I also see a lot of focus on the LR messenger and their perceived tribal position.

But maybe this is changing? Not sure.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
spockman wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Interesting article. Almost makes mincemeat of people with black and white positions on all of this. But maybe Mr Blakeman from Nassau Co. NY will swoop in and save the day.

Federal appeals court blocks West Virginia from enforcing anti-trans sports ban against 13-year-old girl
https://www.cnn.com/...ports-ban/index.html

This person is a small group which unfortunately is getting bigger. Given that desisting is the commonest trajectory extending puberty blocking drugs if fraught with problems. The tendency in Canada at present is to not question any adolescent who thinks they are not cis gender and get on with puberty blocking drugs and or hormones. In many cases one is affirming thoughts that likely will go away and not giving the child the chance to identify with their biological sex. If one even questions this approach one is labelled "trans-phobic".

Sensible countries like Finland and Sweden are either banning puberty blocks or restricting to exceptional cases

Neither Finland nor Sweden have banned puberty blockers. Desisting is not the most common trajectory for early adolescents who receive puberty blockers, in fact it is the exact opposite. The vast majority continue with their transition. There are similar numbers, 94%, for early adolescents who socially transition. The most common reasons for desistance of these groups is social, family, or church pressure.

Perhaps you are confusing the stats for gender questioning youth? There are high desistance figures for young, gender questioning, children (4-8) but children of that age are not given puberty blockers or hormones and are not considered transgender.

Once you put them on puberty blockers you have changed the whole ball game. You have likely affirmed their choice to transition with a therapeutic intervention. You don't know if the would have desisted without the puberty blockers. Given a high majority desist if not put on puberty blockers we very well may not be helping and may well be harming.

Here in Ontario I am seeing kids being put on puberty blockers with minimal assessment and deficient mental health support otherwise. Our locals transgender kids clinic sent out a letter advising family doctors to just put kids on puberty blockers while they are awaiting assessment "because the wait times to get seen are very long."

I spent a small rotation in the transgender assessment unit 35 years ago in Toronto. The guy who ran it got slandered out the the job maybe ten years ago because he raised concerns about kids being transitioned etc. They had to pay him a settlement and he refused a non disclosure agreement. The dialogue about this in Toronto at least was and is pretty toxic.

Some boy at 12 who wants to run cross country with girls while on puberty blockers doesn't bother me much if at all.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: spockman: Apr 19, 24 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

He’s just interested in people’s views and having conversations 🙄
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
You think conservatives are against all social justice and protections? And you think if I’m in support of some govt involvement im a liberal?
No, I am asking you. In what cases do you support big govt intervention? Social justice only? Or other areas too?

Yeeper wrote:
It is all about attacking the messenger, eh?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Ha! No kidding. Sometimes I feel like DSW is just a bot programmed to interact with this forum in the style of a poorly written huffpost article.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

When title IX was passed there was a large, well-documented, disparity between the treatment, and resources, available to women in federally funded education. There was only one path to addressing the issues that Title IX addressed. Contrast that to the "protect women's sports" campaign. In most states there were no trans athletes and there was well established path, the sporting federations, to address sports related rules and policies.

I understand that. However that doesn’t answer the question you I asked after your initial reply. You disagree that there are more trans women on the podiums now?

And with respect to the “protect women’s sport” why do we have to wait until it becomes an issue in a particular area to support a movement you perceive is worthwhile?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Ha! No kidding. Sometimes I feel like DSW is just a bot programmed to interact with this forum in the style of a poorly written huffpost article.

Exactly!
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

One person changed it from a relatively obscure issue to a front page problem.

Texas, Arkansas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Mississippi, West Virginia, Utah, South Dakota, Montana, Iowa, Arizona, and Idaho passed laws banning Trans people in sports before Lia ever won a National Championship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
No, I am asking you. In what cases do you support big govt intervention? Social justice only? Or other areas too?

That’s not what you asked. You made two very big sweeping generalizations but whatever. As you said yourself its a case by case basis. But im not playing your game where you are so surprised that someone who supports women’s rights with legislation could be a conservative.

Yeeper wrote:

Again, sure whatever. But I’m not the one who is so shocked that liberals and conservatives might not toe the party line on every single issue.

“Oh you support the govt protecting individuals? You can’t possibly be conservative. So you’re liberal?”
^^fucking idiotic logic and statement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

I understand that. However that doesn’t answer the question you I asked after your initial reply. You disagree that there are more trans women on the podiums now?

And with respect to the “protect women’s sport” why do we have to wait until it becomes an issue in a particular area to support a movement you perceive is worthwhile?

I did not say anything about waiting. My point is that this topic is best addressed by the sporting federations, not a bunch of politicians trying to score points with their base.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

That’s not what you asked. You made two very big sweeping generalizations but whatever. As you said yourself its a case by case basis. But im not playing your game where you are so surprised that someone who supports women’s rights with legislation could be a conservative.

Yeeper wrote:

Again, sure whatever. But I’m not the one who is so shocked that liberals and conservatives might not toe the party line on every single issue.

“Oh you support the govt protecting individuals? You can’t possibly be conservative. So you’re liberal?”
^^fucking idiotic logic and statement

I

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next