Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

This is a growing issue that is a widely politicized one.

Is it really a growing issue?

When Utah passed it's law it had 75,000 High School athletes. Only one of them was M2F trans
When Alabama passed it's bill there were 190,000 High School athletes in the state. Not a single one was trans
When Mississippi passed it's ban there were 107,000 High School athletes in the state. Not a single one was trans. None in High School, Middle School, or college.
The IOC has allowed Trans athletes for 20+ years. In that time there has been a single trans Olympian, who would no longer qualfiy under the updated IOC regulations.

The primary push behind these laws is politicians using trans people for political gain, it is not because trans people are taking over women's sport.

The correct path is for this to be managed by the federations. Big Government regulation is not the answer.

When a male won a NCAA women's national title, it forced a response so that doesn't happen again.

I think most people would have assumed that something like the Thomas situation simply wouldn't be allowed to happen, that it must be a rule violation and surely they (sport governing bodies) wouldn't let an obvious male win a premier women's championship, but then it happened, and nobody with the sport governing body stepped in. I think there's sufficient reason to have generally lost trust in sport governing bodies such as the NCAA.

Do we now wait for it to happen again?

You are giving far too much credit to one person. Most of the were passed before Lia won anything. Most of the sporting federations had been working on updates to their transgender policies for years before they finally announced them. These were not overnight decisions.

One person changed it from a relatively obscure issue to a front page problem.

Texas, Arkansas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Mississippi, West Virginia, Utah, South Dakota, Montana, Iowa, Arizona, and Idaho passed laws banning Trans people in sports before Lia ever won a National Championship.

So the actions of Thomas basically proved that their efforts were necessary since the NCAA proved powerless to stop an obviously unfair situation.
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Big govt got involved initially to protect women with title IX (for all avenues not just sport). So why would it now inappropriate for big govt to get invovled to protect them again?

So, if our society has a problem, you are good with big government stepping in for any and all such problems?

Edit: for social justice? Yea

That seems to be a highly unconservative approach. Would you then call yourself a liberal?

Why are you so concerned about how people label themselves politically?

He’s just interested in people’s views and having conversations 🙄

Ha! No kidding. Sometimes I feel like DSW is just a bot programmed to interact with this forum in the style of a poorly written huffpost article.

I would respectfully disagree. Because it is replies like that that signal a priority of strong tribalism over actual positions on specific issues.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

When Utah passed it's law it had 75,000 High School athletes. Only one of them was M2F trans
When Alabama passed it's bill there were 190,000 High School athletes in the state. Not a single one was trans
When Mississippi passed it's ban there were 107,000 High School athletes in the state. Not a single one was trans. None in High School, Middle School, or college.
The IOC has allowed Trans athletes for 20+ years. In that time there has been a single trans Olympian, who would no longer qualfiy under the updated IOC regulations.

The primary push behind these laws is politicians using trans people for political gain, it is not because trans people are taking over women's sport.

The correct path is for this to be managed by the federations. Big Government regulation is not the answer.

When a male won a NCAA women's national title, it forced a response so that doesn't happen again.

I think most people would have assumed that something like the Thomas situation simply wouldn't be allowed to happen, that it must be a rule violation and surely they (sport governing bodies) wouldn't let an obvious male win a premier women's championship, but then it happened, and nobody with the sport governing body stepped in. I think there's sufficient reason to have generally lost trust in sport governing bodies such as the NCAA.

You are giving far too much credit to one person. Most of the were passed before Lia won anything. Most of the sporting federations had been working on updates to their transgender policies for years before they finally announced them. These were not overnight decisions.

Texas, Arkansas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Mississippi, West Virginia, Utah, South Dakota, Montana, Iowa, Arizona, and Idaho passed laws banning Trans people in sports before Lia ever won a National Championship.

So the actions of Thomas basically proved that their efforts were necessary since the NCAA proved powerless to stop an obviously unfair situation.

Nope. Those state laws mostly focused on high school athletes, not college. None of those laws stopped Lia. The NCAA was already working on updating their transgender policies and announced these updates prior to Lia winning a championship. They had been waiting for the IOC, and the USOC, to update their policies, which they did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Nope. Those state laws mostly focused on high school athletes, not college. None of those laws stopped Lia. The NCAA was already working on updating their transgender policies and announced these updates prior to Lia winning a championship. They had been waiting for the IOC, and the USOC, to update their policies, which they did.

Proved the necessity for such laws to exist in order to protect the playing field for women. Sorry, I didn't clarify. Thomas exposed the loophole which needed to be addressed in multiple ways due to lots of overlaps and gaps in the systems of regulation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Proved the necessity for such laws to exist in order to protect the playing field for women. Sorry, I didn't clarify. Thomas exposed the loophole which needed to be addressed in multiple ways due to lots of overlaps and gaps in the systems of regulation.

Those laws were all passed prior to Thomas winning a national championship. None of them stopped her from winning a National Championship. They also had limited affect at the state level as many of the states that passed these laws had no trans athletes. The laws were political theater, they did not address a pressing issue.

What did address the issue is the IOC, FINA, and the NCAA updating their policy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:

Those laws were all passed prior to Thomas winning a national championship. None of them stopped her from winning a National Championship. They also had limited affect at the state level as many of the states that passed these laws had no trans athletes. The laws were political theater, they did not address a pressing issue.

What did address the issue is the IOC, FINA, and the NCAA updating their policy.

None of those policy updates would have any effects at the high school level. The NCAA was too little/too late to prevent the Thomas situation, which suggests that organizations at all levels should not wait until there is a problem in order to respond.

You obviously have a massive bias on the issue and dismiss the laws as political theater, but I think many people can see the Thomas situation as a very reasonable piece of evidence for why the laws were, and are, necessary to protect women's sport. The political theater surrounding the issue is no doubt being amplified for political "points", just as it is around any contentious political position. It's not as if the trans specific issues are the only example of hyperbole in today's political environment. Both sides are guilty.
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Big govt got involved initially to protect women with title IX (for all avenues not just sport). So why would it now inappropriate for big govt to get invovled to protect them again?

So, if our society has a problem, you are good with big government stepping in for any and all such problems?

Edit: for social justice? Yea

That seems to be a highly unconservative approach. Would you then call yourself a liberal?

Why are you so concerned about how people label themselves politically?

He’s just interested in people’s views and having conversations 🙄

Ha! No kidding. Sometimes I feel like DSW is just a bot programmed to interact with this forum in the style of a poorly written huffpost article.

I would respectfully disagree. Because it is replies like that that signal a priority of strong tribalism over actual positions on specific issues.

Replies like what, like mine?
I'm not sure if you intend to come off this way, but most of your posts and replies here really seem to push the tribalistic narrative. You're not pointing out what exists, you're literally the only one bringing it to the conversation.

Your reply to Yeeper is a perfect example. You're more concerned with how he identifies politically and are trying to show him that he has views that don't align in lockstep with the party you essentially told him he belongs to.

Instead of talking to him about what he was actually saying you're more concerned with pigeon holing him in to either left or right. You're literally pushing tribalism and divisiveness by doing that. Hence the reference to you being a HuffPost bot.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:

None of those policy updates would have any effects at the high school level. The NCAA was too little/too late to prevent the Thomas situation, which suggests that organizations at all levels should not wait until there is a problem in order to respond.

You obviously have a massive bias on the issue and dismiss the laws as political theater, but I think many people can see the Thomas situation as a very reasonable piece of evidence for why the laws were, and are, necessary to protect women's sport. The political theater surrounding the issue is no doubt being amplified for political "points", just as it is around any contentious political position. It's not as if the trans specific issues are the only example of hyperbole in today's political environment. Both sides are guilty.

You keep shift the goalposts from Thomas (College) to the High Schools that were covered by these laws. Is that because you there are so few examples of trans athletes dominating in High Schools?

The laws did nothing to address Thomas, the NCAA did. Their changes in policy were the result of years of research and discussion, it was not a knee jerk reaction.

I have been very clear on this topic. I think that in most cases trans people retain an inherent advantage that tilts the playing field. In most cases I support the changes that the federations have made. My "Massive Bias" is against politicians wasting taxpayer money on political stunts that do not address a pressing issue but are designed to rally a base and stoke division.
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Replies like what, like mine?
I'm not sure if you intend to come off this way, but most of your posts and replies here really seem to push the tribalistic narrative. You're not pointing out what exists, you're literally the only one bringing it to the conversation.

Your reply to Yeeper is a perfect example. You're more concerned with how he identifies politically and are trying to show him that he has views that don't align in lockstep with the party you essentially told him he belongs to.

Instead of talking to him about what he was actually saying you're more concerned with pigeon holing him in to either left or right. You're literally pushing tribalism and divisiveness by doing that. Hence the reference to you being a HuffPost bot.

If you look at my posts, it is pretty clear that is not remotely my intention. I am simply trying to ask, understand, and discuss. The vast majority of the time, I do indeed talk to him about what he was actually saying, but typically, he just evades and then falls back on doing personal attacks. I guess that is easier for him. But in response, I never attack him, I never call him a bot, or say he "has a warped view of politics". Ever. No matter what he says to me.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
You think conservatives are against all social justice and protections? And you think if I’m in support of some govt involvement im a liberal?

No, I am asking you. In what cases do you support big govt intervention? Social justice only? Or other areas too?

That’s not what you asked. You made two very big sweeping generalizations but whatever. As you said yourself its a case by case basis. But im not playing your game where you are so surprised that someone who supports women’s rights with legislation could be a conservative.

Yeeper wrote:
Again I repeat you have a warped view of politics.

It is all about attacking the messenger, eh?

Again, sure whatever. But I’m not the one who is so shocked that liberals and conservatives might not toe the party line on every single issue.

“Oh you support the govt protecting individuals? You can’t possibly be conservative. So you’re liberal?â€
^^fucking idiotic logic and statement

It is all about attacking the messenger, eh?

I

Do you know the difference between attacking the person and attacking their argument?

Did attack your character? No I said your logic was idiotic.
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Do you know the difference between attacking the person and attacking their argument?

Did attack your character? No I said your logic was idiotic.

Thank you, sir, for clarifying that important point.

--
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
BarryP wrote:

I think at some point trans women are going to have to accept that they are trans women.

Careful about generalizations. Many trans women need zero "splaining" about what they "have to accept." Not all trans women are advocates for trans women playing in female sport. Case in point celebrity Jenner. I don't know the ratios - not sure it's been polled. But none of the trans women I know personally are activists in that regard.

And many who are advocates for trans women in women's sport aren't trans.

This is important in viewing trans people as human beings vs. caricatures. The media and social media barrage of smug/masculine Lia Thomas poses is not helpful in this regard - intended to provoke emotional response and a tendency for "Lia smug face" to crystalize in some people's minds as an exemplar of "transgender."

Sorry, I don't have a publicist reviewing my posts.

I agree with you. Edit mine to say, "problematic activists."

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

If there's so few trans people, then so few people will be affected by the laws.

There you go. Done. We'll never hear of you commenting on this topic again, right?

Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
BarryP wrote:

If trans men can accept the consequences for transitioning, why can't trans women?

Can you explain what you mean here? Because I don’t see the difference between trans men wanting to compete with men and trans women wanting to compete with women. What are trans men accepting that trans women are not?

Also these same rules are forcing trans men to compete with women in high school sports, even wrestling:

https://www.usnews.com/...h-school-girls-title

Also, can you explain what this means:

Quote:
PS - I find it a little odd that someone who is a woman on the inside REALLY needs to play sports, while someone who is a man on the inside is disinterested in sports.

Are you saying that there are no trans men wanting to play sports?

Can you point to a single instance where a F2M trans person won ANYTHING in sports?

Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

If there's so few trans people, then so few people will be affected by the laws.

There you go. Done. We'll never hear of you commenting on this topic again, right?

You don't think the demonization of trans people by politicians for political gain affects trans people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:

You keep shift the goalposts from Thomas (College) to the High Schools that were covered by these laws. Is that because you there are so few examples of trans athletes dominating in High Schools?

The laws did nothing to address Thomas, the NCAA did. Their changes in policy were the result of years of research and discussion, it was not a knee jerk reaction.

I have been very clear on this topic. I think that in most cases trans people retain an inherent advantage that tilts the playing field. In most cases I support the changes that the federations have made. My "Massive Bias" is against politicians wasting taxpayer money on political stunts that do not address a pressing issue but are designed to rally a base and stoke division.

It's because the issue exists, or may exist, in so many different areas, and seems to have potential be expanding rapidly as transgender numbers expand rapidly. There are hundreds of sports, and hundreds of governing bodies with different sets of rules and it's fairly likely that none of them really saw the definition of "woman" and "man" changing so significantly, thus the somewhat turbulent responses.

If there was one entity that set policy for all of sport, then it would be the obvious point of policy change, but that's not even close to our current reality. Add to that the opportunity for litigation and the ever present political theater of the USA and it's a complete disaster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
chaparral wrote:
BarryP wrote:

If trans men can accept the consequences for transitioning, why can't trans women?

Can you explain what you mean here? Because I don’t see the difference between trans men wanting to compete with men and trans women wanting to compete with women. What are trans men accepting that trans women are not?

Also these same rules are forcing trans men to compete with women in high school sports, even wrestling:

https://www.usnews.com/...h-school-girls-title

Also, can you explain what this means:

Quote:
PS - I find it a little odd that someone who is a woman on the inside REALLY needs to play sports, while someone who is a man on the inside is disinterested in sports.

Are you saying that there are no trans men wanting to play sports?

Can you point to a single instance where a F2M trans person won ANYTHING in sports?

I am still unclear. How does that question explain anything I was asking?

Did you not read my link?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Add to that the opportunity for litigation and the ever present political theater of the USA and it's a complete disaster.

On this we can agree.

Note, these are only state laws so you have a patch work of laws that vary across the country. Many of them are doomed to failure in the courts......all the better reason for this, like all other sport eligibility requirements, to be managed by the sporting federations and state agencies that manage school sport. Right now it is little more than political theater.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

You don't think the demonization of trans people by politicians for political gain affects trans people?

Your argument is that "there are so few." That's YOUR argument, not mine.

You only seem to care about the "few" trans people being able to compete in women's sports, yet care not-at-all about the women that they are affecting in those sports.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

For the record, wasn't it about a year before Lia Thomas that Conn. HS T&F state championship was won by a trans female? I think maybe even 1st and 2nd. So maybe the other states were taking action because of that? I'm not going to be bothered to look up specific dates and states. Or perhaps in their state they faced such an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am still unclear. How does that question explain anything I was asking?

Your question:

"Are you saying that there are no trans men wanting to play sports?"

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that virtually all of them are willing to give up playing sports for the sake of changing genders.

Quote Reply
Re: The intersection of trans, youth, and sport [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

For the record, wasn't it about a year before Lia Thomas that Conn. HS T&F state championship was won by a trans female? I think maybe even 1st and 2nd. So maybe the other states were taking action because of that? I'm not going to be bothered to look up specific dates and states. Or perhaps in their state they faced such an issue.

That was five years ago. I think that it may have sparked the idea for some that there may be political gain in the issue. By the time Thomas came along many of the laws were already passed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

I mean this as respectfully as possible because you have been a great advocate for trans individuals and offer a lot of information.

But claiming the argument against trans athletes is demonization is a bit disingenuous. Pointing out that trans women arent the same as biological women especially with respect to physical capabilities and that they present an unfair advantage is not demonizing.

That being said there are awful and insensitive individuals who will take poor stances on the matter and some of them are politicians.

But I don’t think they speak for all (as is often the case with the most extreme outspoken individuals) and the rest don’t take a demonizing approach by saying it’s not fair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Your argument is that "there are so few." That's YOUR argument, not mine.

You appear to have reading comprehension issues as that is clearly not my "argument". Here is my position again, please to not distort what I write.

"I have been very clear on this topic. I think that in most cases trans people retain an inherent advantage that tilts the playing field. In most cases I support the changes that the federations have made. My "Massive Bias" is against politicians wasting taxpayer money on political stunts that do not address a pressing issue but are designed to rally a base and stoke division."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
velocomp wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

That was five years ago. I think that it may have sparked the idea for some that there may be political gain in the issue. By the time Thomas came along many of the laws were already passed.

The bolded seems to indicate that you think the whole thing is about politics and that there was no actual problem addressed by the laws. I can acknowledge the political theater is a component of these laws but believe that they were necessary to address a significant and growing problem.
Quote Reply

Prev Next