Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
eb wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Seems like a massive waste of money. Who are they selling that sig shoe to? Boys/Men won't buy it. Girls/women typically don't wear BBall shoes.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't think I am.

Admit it, you're just jealous that Crocs hasn't offered you a similar deal.

Shirley I deserve it. Who has done more to promote the brand?
Every nurse I've ever met

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Apr 23, 24 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
trail wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Maybe. We’ll see. My guess is that she does very little to drive ratings for WNBA. Maybe in the first year with curiosity. But I doubt they will sustain it.

For decades people said the same thing about NCAAW. Why would anyone ever watch it? They rarely get above the rim, and it's so slow. It's just woke nonsense.

Let's be fair. Up until Clark last year and throw in a little LSU; no one really cared about NCAAW. Clark is the driving force, not the other women or the game itself.

Well, I watched Iowa's last 3 games and it was very exciting. I've been following this from the record, to the draft, t the Nike deal.

And I didn't realize this before, but have recently learned that the only reason anyone cares about Caitlin Clark is because they are racists. Like, this is coming up a lot.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“And I didn't realize this before, but have recently learned that the only reason anyone cares about Caitlin Clark is because they are racists. Like, this is coming up a lot.”

I assume you’re being serious about this. I can’t speak to your personal experiences, but for me, it’s the first NCAA Final Four, M and W, that I’ve ever sat through, and Clark was a big reason for that. Curiosity, mostly, but I’m not a basketball guy and I’m not racist. The buzz just pulled me in, and I remember the drama from her showdown with LSU’s star forward (Reece) last year and was interested to see how the rematch went. Same with my wife, who’s a sports nut and former basketball player. She doesn’t like Clark or Reece all that much, because she doesn’t like players who make the game or postgame at all about themselves, and she hates that Clark doesn’t put in much defensive effort. But she hates LSU more in part because of their coach and the culture she seems to cultivate.

TLDR: Clark is an interesting player to watch because of her scoring capacity and LSU is easy to hate because of their image. Call that racism if you think it fits, but I don’t see it as the driving force for people’s preference for Clark over Reece, which seems to be the Clark story over the last two years. And given my choice of coaches if I were building a women’s basketball program, give me Dawn Staley all day long over that LSU peacock Mulkey.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Apr 26, 24 6:16
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a bit of sarcasm in my post, so I'll clear it up.

For me, personally, I caught the Clark buzz when she won the all time scoring title. I then looked up a highlight real and thought, "Damn, I need to watch her play." I'd caught wind of some drama between her and someone else, but it wasn't anything that would make me want to watch a women's basketball game.

Since then, I've seen a lot of cries of "racism," which is really, really unfortunate.

So the narrative is that you and I are not interested in watching Clark because she's an exciting player. It's because the media went after Angel Reece last year for her antics after LSU beat Iowa in the finals last year, and she's black, and Clark is white and you and I are watching Clark for that reason.

What I find interesting about it is that the finals got 19 million viewers. But LSU wasn't in the finals. The LSU Iowa game in the elite 8 got 12 million viewers, which is really good for that round, but why would an additional 7 million racists watch Clark in a game that Reese wasn't even in?

And now her shoe deal is racist because people think that some other player that they like more should have gotten a bigger shoe deal. FWIW, that seems to be a smaller story, and a lot of black sports media personalities are pushing back on that one.

I mean, is it possible that maybe the same people who loved watching Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and Serena Williams are also excited about Caitlin Clark?

Side note: when I started witnessing all of this drama, I had assumed Reese was a bigger star than she actually is. People are calling this the Magic - Bird rivalry. Reese went 7th in the draft. I mean, that's good, but not exactly epic. (Yes, Bird was 6th, but he was drafted a year before he graduated).

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Caitlin Clark (Sports Pioneer) [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok yeah, I missed the sarcasm in your post.

“is it possible that maybe the same people who loved watching Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and Serena Williams are also excited about Caitlin Clark?”

On a related note, I saw today that the Caleb Williams jersey sales just set a new record, previously held by… Caitlin Clark.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next