Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, this past weekend she won a local sprint race OVERALL, but doesn't look like she was even pushed to win this RACE
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, if she's winning races again, they can't not select her for Paris!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Well, this past weekend she won a local sprint race OVERALL, but doesn't look like she was even pushed to win this RACE

world class trolling. love your sarcasm.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Actually wasn't trolling or sarcastic. Merely pointing out she won an overall race & often there are some of the top amateur men in the world living in the area, not to mention pro men who drop into these type races for a workout --so Gwen or not, there are age group guys who can swim & bike faster than her that show up periodically to these races...and wouldn't be far behind her on the run. She did it rather easily too. However, by the names listed there weren't any men who showed up at that level--and no local pro women...to which, she is not the fastest short course local female either. That would be Knibb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
pk wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Actually wasn't trolling or sarcastic. Merely pointing out she won an overall race & often there are some of the top amateur men in the world living in the area, not to mention pro men who drop into these type races for a workout --so Gwen or not, there are age group guys who can swim & bike faster than her that show up periodically to these races...and wouldn't be far behind her on the run. She did it rather easily too. However, by the names listed there weren't any men who showed up at that level--and no local pro women...to which, she is not the fastest short course local female either. That would be Knibb.

I see there was Tom Zirbel former pro cyclist in the race, and she was slower than him by less than 4 minutes on the bike. I find that quite remarkable to be fair.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Gwen ride a road bike or a TT bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clips from Instagram had her on a road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was on her road bike. She led out of the water and was in front until about mile 12 or so on the bike, and then took the lead back about halfway through the run.

AP Racing Crew|Cupcake Cartel|Picky Bar AmBadassador
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [Jace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jace wrote:
She was on her road bike. She led out of the water and was in front until about mile 12 or so on the bike, and then took the lead back about halfway through the run.

mass start men and women?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wave start, she was in wave 1, elites and men under 40.

AP Racing Crew|Cupcake Cartel|Picky Bar AmBadassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A BOP ITU woman is going to destroy most top age group men in the swim, the bike and the run. People don't realize how fast they really are.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell a very funny anecdote. I tried to meet Gwen in Pontevedra last year to take a photo with her but when she looked at me I felt so "small" despite I am 6'2. She looked really serious...so I did not try again when she came out from the athletes briefing...
By the way, all these athletes are so so lean...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

I really enjoyed the one time I raced against Sebastian Kienle...I hope she allowed people to fan girl and take photos.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Hey man, this is now the second time I’ve told you this:. I don’t mind you being familiar, but it’s just weird when one of us is an anonymous.

Gwen is (by far) the most profitable investment made by usat into an athlete. Like by a factor of 10. But we can agree to disagree.

1. I'm that anonymous, unfortunately! Or maybe that's just in my line of work.

2. I agree, their investment into her was great. Yet the question I have is, was the investment in her return profitable? I'd say it's between a distraction and a sideshow when I want to see investment into athletes like Ricca, Fuller, Funes, Lumkes. And now that the NCAA is changing all over the place, maybe investment into current NCAA athletes like Dasso and Russell.

Obviously if Gwen has stayed in Triathlon and in the ITU pathway the hype train would be much longer than it is, and probably no haters!

I generally take your posts with a grain of salt, but really interested to look into these names. Fuller is the only one I’m familiar with. For once the US male side looks a stronger than the female side for the future. No idea who could be on the women’s side for LA and Brisbane. Maybe Knibb would do another round for the home Olympics angle? Sereno? Auckerland? Who is in the pipeline?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Hey man, this is now the second time I’ve told you this:. I don’t mind you being familiar, but it’s just weird when one of us is an anonymous.

Gwen is (by far) the most profitable investment made by usat into an athlete. Like by a factor of 10. But we can agree to disagree.

2. I agree, their investment into her was great. Yet the question I have is, was the investment in her return profitable? I'd say it's between a distraction and a sideshow when I want to see investment into athletes like Ricca, Fuller, Funes, Lumkes. And now that the NCAA is changing all over the place, maybe investment into current NCAA athletes like Dasso and Russell.

Obviously if Gwen has stayed in Triathlon and in the ITU pathway the hype train would be much longer than it is, and probably no haters!

I generally take your posts with a grain of salt, but really interested to look into these names. Fuller is the only one I’m familiar with. For once the US male side looks a stronger than the female side for the future. No idea who could be on the women’s side for LA and Brisbane. Maybe Knibb would do another round for the home Olympics angle? Sereno? Auckerland? Who is in the pipeline?

The top junior mexican girl who just switched to race for the USA maybe?

https://tri-stats.com/jimena-renata-de-la-pena-schott-switching-to-america/
Last edited by: Diabolo: Jun 3, 24 22:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Rocky M wrote:
A top tier Pro female Triathlete at the end of an Olympic qualifying season beating a bunch of nobody elites and age groupers at a local Triathlon? Shocking!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

I think Knibb is a 100% for LA…it’d be a shocker to me if she wasn’t.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

I was a huge critic of Gwen when she came back to Tri but in hindsight I don’t think she had a lot of choice but to leave. She said US Tri took her off funding immediately when she got pregnant. She needs to live so I imagine she put the feelers out using her Nike contract and secured something with Nike and or BTC.

It would be very interesting to see how KZ was treated by US Tri regarding funding when she was pregnant to see if they were treated the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was with Asics when she finished the first time. The coach at Bowerman was her college coach for track, which is how that connection was made. She even had to black out nike stuff for a bit if i recall before contracts could be switched over.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
A BOP ITU woman is going to destroy most top age group men in the swim, the bike and the run. People don't realize how fast they really are.

Yes, people don't realize how fast even a BOP ITU woman really is, but they don't realize how fast a top age group man is either. We can discuss what a "BOP ITU woman" is, but if we're talking Conti cups or even World cups pack fodder, I'd say they would be beating some (not most) of the top AG men in the swim and run (well, probably more in the swim than in the run), and would be beaten by a fair number of top AG men in the bike, especially if drafting is not allowed (and well mashalled).
I don't know for the US, but in France, I've never seen a "BOP ITU woman" win ou even podium overall when racing a sprint or olympic distance amateur event.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [tof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top AG Men in a non-drafting olympic distance triathlon are 20-21/56-58/34-36. for the three disciplines. Ash Gentle went 19,58,34 at the Noosa Tri. She is the cream of the crop when it comes to non drafting triathlon. So I would say the Top AG Men are pretty equivalent to the Top Pro Women in a non drafting olympic distance triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, except that long course PROs are second rate in Olys and no reason why Gentle would be an exception. Short course athletes are generally fitter, to the extent that Stornes and Lovseth won 70.3 Indian Wells last year (Thorn finished 4th), beating a field that included a fair share of long course stars.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jun 4, 24 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Yeah, except that long course PROs are second rate in Olys and no reason why Gentle would be an exception. Short course athletes are generally fitter, to the extent that Stornes and Lovseth won 70.3 Indian Wells last year (Thorn finished 4th), beating a field that included a fair share of long course stars.

Gentle over the years at Noosa tri - 10 victories and last year was her best bike AND run over the Oly distance. I would suggest she would give anyone out there a run in non draft Oly. And in response to Thorn and Stornes being fitter at IW, I would say that they are better swimmers but there were a few guys who were significantly faster bike and run that Thorn - and Sam Long was not the Sam Long we see today. It's triathlon - so I get that argument - Stornes WAS the best athlete on the day - but an end of the year race that the Norwegians focused on for 70.3 worlds qualification is not necessarily the best indicator in my opinion.

I know that the fitness is incredible in short course but...non draft bike is different. And, specific fitness for SC draft legal and non draft, has proved to not necessarily be the same or won by the same people over many years.

ETA this was mostly just to point out that Gentle is the exception hahaha

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Last edited by: dfru: Jun 4, 24 10:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next