Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
I think it likely depends on the short course athletes swim strength. If they are a bit weaker swimmer their race may be a lot of solo tt-ing chasing packs or even just 2 up chasing packs is much harder work than being in the big packs. These athletes, even when not catching are often a lot stronger cyclists than is realised when they get to non drafting races.
Up near the front, I suggest Julie Derron is a prime example of a weaker swimmer who's an uber biker yet can run pretty well off it. It will be very interesting (and see her win last week) to see whether she ploughs a middle distance furrow after Paris. If she does (she's only 28) she will be one of (imho) very few of the top 30 short course women who can prosper without drafting. Spivey is obviously another. Taylor-Brown? Godoy? Arnold? What about the other older Americans? Kasper?

Julie ran VERY well...but she rode 11 minutes slower than Daniela did the year before. Julie's sister Nina rode 2:27 both years, N=1 but for context. I would need to see something that suggest uber biker, that's more of a Tamara Jewett style athlete in this particular example, at that particular race. Then looking at other results, she really isn't an But she's renowned as a biker in short course - which is kind of the point. Looking at the actual PTO stats, and their rankings - cycling is her weakest discipline. She could certainly be good but we will see for sure. The short course kids are ALWAYS going to dominate post Olympics but then we realize, they are different sports and some will do well and we will say - look - short course people are the best! But in the end, Alistair is far inferior to Jan LC, which was flipped with SC, Daniela couldn't hold a candle to many SC athletes but she's the GOAT in my opinion LC.

Comparing SC draft legal to non draft even - it's also different. I don't know - just the argument that SC Dl are the better athletes as a blanket statement is truly not following the nuances of the sport in my opinion.

Short course coming over? Not sure - GTB said she might try cycling, I don't actually believe Spivey is going to be strong enough on the bike but we will see, Caldwell maybe? But in the end, it's going to be short course studs like Mathis and Youri that rock the LC world...probably. Guys and ladies that just fall out of the SC system.

Thanks to anyone who actually reads this rambling. Just thoughts...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen Paris Olympics [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Straight into the promo's for her post triathlon career....Major Fitness by Gwen Jorgensen

Quote Reply

Prev Next