Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Paul822] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian!

Thanks so much for your help!

Height: 67 in
Inseam: 28.5 in
Armpad reach: 445mm
Armpad stack: 624mm
Saddle: 681mm

Paul822,
That's a lot of good info - are you thinking the "mortal" CF or the "super" SLX/CFR?

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian - a guy can dream. The “super” :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, thanks for all your help on this thread

I'm looking at CFR/CF SLX

Height: 173cms
Inseam: 83cms
Pad X: 425mm
Pad Y: 610mm
Saddle height: 721mm

These are measured from my existing Plasma 5 S that has been fitted by a bike fitter and rides OK, although I never feel as stable as my road bike, but guess that's the nature of the beast.

Looking at Canyon geometry charts either a S or M will fit ?

What are the benefits of each ? S will give me the 165mm cranks I currently ride. Would M be a more stable ride ?

Any other pro/cons for S & M ? bigger internal bladder ? less/more aero ? more cool looking long seat tube on display :)

And any steer on front end ? flat or riser base bar etc ?
Last edited by: tyzer: Oct 26, 23 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Paul822] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian!

Thanks so much for your help!

Height: 67 in
Inseam: 28.5 in
Armpad reach: 445mm
Armpad stack: 624mm
Saddle: 681mm

Paul822,
For a Canyon Speedmax SLX (or CFR, same geo) you'd need a size small with a long stem mid spacer and medium extensions. I'm go out on a limb here and say that you should be riding cranks that are ~155mm long... and in doing so your Pad Y would probably drop from 624 to 604ish. That would be a sweet set up!!!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [tyzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian, thanks for all your help on this thread
I'm looking at CFR/CF SLX

Height: 173cms
Inseam: 83cms
Pad X: 425mm
Pad Y: 610mm
Saddle height: 721mm

These are measured from my existing Plasma 5 S that has been fitted by a bike fitter and rides OK, although I never feel as stable as my road bike, but guess that's the nature of the beast.
Looking at Canyon geometry charts either a S or M will fit ?
What are the benefits of each ? S will give me the 165mm cranks I currently ride. Would M be a more stable ride ?
Any other pro/cons for S & M ? bigger internal bladder ? less/more aero ? more cool looking long seat tube on display :)
And any steer on front end ? flat or riser base bar etc ?

tyzer,
Yup you'd fit on both a small and medium. I'm going to put up a specific area of the bike and put some detial into 'em and you can determin what matters to you and how that might become a pro or a con to the size.

Seat Post - if you get the small there will be two bosses exposed behind the post and you could then potentailly use Canyon's oem behind-the-post water bottle holder. If you get the meidum there won't be much post exposed (aesthetics?) and one of those bosses will be burried in the frame so you if you wanted to run bottles behind the seat you'd use one of the myrid of saddle rail mounted bottle holders.

Aerobar riser - if you got the small you'd use the mid riser and not much else to get the pad height right. With the midium you'd use the upper range of the low riser and frankly there's not enough difference here to make anything of it. Logic would say you'd use the flat base bar with both.

Stem length - short stem for both, with the medium you could come shorter 15mm with your Pad X (that should never happen, you're at 425 and based on my mathematical assumpitons you should be riding longer - but, hey, we've only met by text only ESP would be a weaker bike fit communication) and you could go longer out to 465. With the small you could come back 30 or go foward 15mm.

Bike handling - meh... there's nothing drastic here. Both bike sizes, both positions should work well for you.

The other odds and ends... bladders are the same.

There so close that I think the crank length (critical) and the exposed seat post (purely on looks) are enough to tip the scale to the small.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

If I use the canyon size tool: 183cm height (72 inches) and 89cm inseem (35 inches) -> the tool gives me size M.
https://ibb.co/VpWtRFz

Now this is out of stock. Large is not.
I've been over to a Canyon Service point and I should be able to fit a large with no problem.

My saddle heigth should be 79-80cm. Lowest possible is 77.5cm for a large frame.
It is not much margin but more then enough.
https://ibb.co/kM92nCp

Benefit here is that U have a lower seatpost, less stack height, so better aerodynamica. Based on this article here on slowtwitch from 2010. Maybe to old of an article??? : https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ike_sizes__1173.html

The reach is also fine. Extra benefit is that my saddle can be very much forward and that I am good in front of my center bottom bracket. So I can put more power on the pedals. Right?

What do you think of my reasoning here, my thinking... What do you think, suggest,... ? Correct me when I'm wrong pls.
Here are my bikefit specs for Cube Aerium C68 SLT:
Height: 183cms
Inseam: 89cms
Pad X: 445mm
Pad Y: 692mm
Saddle height: 800mm

In attachement my full bikefit.

PS: I probably change to 165mm crank length.

Regards,
DVR
Last edited by: Roflpain: Nov 5, 23 1:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys, note to people ordering your bike

the monoiextension lenght - ( they ask you to measure your elbow to grip distance and based on that they tell you which cocpit suits, they do warn you most poeple order too large; what i didnt take into account is that if you need to move the pads forward ( which i knew i had to) you might run out of the extension lenght.

you might ask whats the problem canyone can swao the extension for bigger size - NOPE - only thing canyon told me to do is send the whoel bike back and order new one - which will be available maybe May 2024 to order so delivery Sept 24
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
Guys, note to people ordering your bike

the monoiextension lenght - ( they ask you to measure your elbow to grip distance and based on that they tell you which cocpit suits, they do warn you most poeple order too large; what i didnt take into account is that if you need to move the pads forward ( which i knew i had to) you might run out of the extension lenght.

you might ask whats the problem canyone can swao the extension for bigger size - NOPE - only thing canyon told me to do is send the whoel bike back and order new one - which will be available maybe May 2024 to order so delivery Sept 24

I’ve asked about that Polish support, when I was ordering my bike and have got the response that if my cockpit won’t fit me, they can replace it within 30 days from delivery date.
My fitter, who is specialized in setting triathlon athletes recommended me to take the biggest one, because anyway it’s always not enough đź€. I hope he was right, because I’ve got my bike yesterday and scheduled fitting session next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [LukaszP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so my Iberian support told me - ny "replace it" - they mean the whole bike not just cockpit - seriosuly not sure why. But my bad for listening to them instead of using my own brain should have thought it through - i knew i had to move the pads forward - good i requested the longer stem so i am missing like 1-2cm, if i dont find anything to swap i will probably just buy the forward pedestal that apparently is supposed to move me forward 2 cm (the one pros use)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In addition, don't fully rely on 2024 availability dates. It’s changing every week and on Monday usually you can see 1-2 months forward from now dates for 1-2 days.
Last edited by: LukaszP: Nov 7, 23 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [LukaszP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah dont htink will be sending the full bike back i am still hoping some common sense prevails
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Roflpain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello,

If I use the canyon size tool: 183cm height (72 inches) and 89cm inseem (35 inches) -> the tool gives me size M.
https://ibb.co/VpWtRFz

Now this is out of stock. Large is not.
I've been over to a Canyon Service point and I should be able to fit a large with no problem.

My saddle heigth should be 79-80cm. Lowest possible is 77.5cm for a large frame.
It is not much margin but more then enough.
https://ibb.co/kM92nCp

Benefit here is that U have a lower seatpost, less stack height, so better aerodynamica. Based on this article here on slowtwitch from 2010. Maybe to old of an article??? : https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ike_sizes__1173.html

The reach is also fine. Extra benefit is that my saddle can be very much forward and that I am good in front of my center bottom bracket. So I can put more power on the pedals. Right?

What do you think of my reasoning here, my thinking... What do you think, suggest,... ? Correct me when I'm wrong pls.
Here are my bikefit specs for Cube Aerium C68 SLT:
Height: 183cms
Inseam: 89cms
Pad X: 445mm
Pad Y: 692mm
Saddle height: 800mm

In attachement my full bikefit.

PS: I probably change to 165mm crank length.

Regards,
DVR

DVR,
It's great you are looking at this carefully and I'm so glad you wrote. You've done the smart thing - you've gone to a professional fitter and you've walked away with Pad Y and Pad X and those numbers are FAR more valuable and accurate than what an on-line assumption using your height and inseam. The Medium maxes out at 690 and your Pad Y is 692. You have to be on the Large. So it's a size Large, CFR with the short stem, mid spacer, medium extension (and I'd go with the flat base bar).

As to saddle height on the large.... you're fine already with these current longer cranks, you'll even have access to the bosses behind the post if you want to use the Canyon cage that goes back there....AND....if/when you go to shorter cranks your saddle height will increase the same mm that the cranks shorten. If you're on 172.5 now and you go to 165 then the seat height will go up 7.5mm.

As to this..."my saddle can be very much forward and that I am good in front of my center bottom bracket. So I can put more power on the pedals. Right? ". There's a place that's right for you and more forward of the BB is not necessarily better. I'm writing to you now from the Slowtwitch bike fit school and we use dynamic fit bikes to offer riders progressively steeper seat angles: 78deg, 79deg, 79.5deg, 80deg, 80.5deg etc and with the fitter watching/listen... and the rider given feed back on both comfort and power - together we find the best spot.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Nov 12, 23 18:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R2,

I'm sorry it's not happening quick and easy. If you haven't acted on this already I want to make a suggestion: keep the bike. Go to Rad Sport and get the angled spacer for the Speedmax. It'll make the front end longer and you'll get more tilt too https://shop.radsport-ibert.de/...yon-speedmax-slx/cfr

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for taking your time to write le good advice. Much appreciated. The large speedmax cfr will come my way begin 2024. Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Roflpain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

New to the forum and soon to be new Speedmax CF SLX owner.
I have question on the basebar. Since there are two options, flat and riser, what is the decision making factor on which to choose?
Isn’t the riser bar the more comfortable option to ride with when you are not in the aero position?
Are there any up or downsides on each?
If it makes a difference I ride a size M frame, 181cm tall, 87.1cm inseam, medium extensions.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Daniel
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Dmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hey there,

New to the forum and soon to be new Speedmax CF SLX owner.
I have question on the basebar. Since there are two options, flat and riser, what is the decision making factor on which to choose?
Isn’t the riser bar the more comfortable option to ride with when you are not in the aero position?
Are there any up or downsides on each?
If it makes a difference I ride a size M frame, 181cm tall, 87.1cm inseam, medium extensions.

Daniel,
Welcome to the ST Forum and thanks for writing. If someone is riding a Speedmax (or any tri bike really) and they have a LARGE about of pedestal that raises the aerobars well above - like, 70+- mm the base bar... then they might appreciate having the base bar angled in such a way that the bull horns/brake levers are rise up to be closer the aero position.

Based on your morphology I'd expect your Pad Y 640ish and your Pad X in the neighborhood of 455mm. The medium's the right bike (along with short stem, medium extension) and you'll use the mid spacer so that's not all that high. Either base bar will work and if you like aesthetic of the flat bar then get that one.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Ian for the swift reply, really appreciated.
Since I have been riding on a "converted" road bike with extensions up to now and now finally pulled the trigger, I cant provide you with a proper Pad X Pad Y.
Yes, I got the short stem and medium extensions (That's as well what my coach told me to order). I was just torn between the basebar options. I actually prefer the aesthetics of the riser bar and Canyon confirmed that it`s pure preference (and more comfortable with the riser) and doesn't have an impact on performance (although if your are not in the aero position, the riser bar will be less aero vs the flat bar), but we all try not to get out of that position anyways...
I take from you that it's basically personal preferences, either will work.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Dmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks, Ian for the swift reply, really appreciated.
Since I have been riding on a "converted" road bike with extensions up to now and now finally pulled the trigger, I cant provide you with a proper Pad X Pad Y.
Yes, I got the short stem and medium extensions (That's as well what my coach told me to order). I was just torn between the basebar options. I actually prefer the aesthetics of the riser bar and Canyon confirmed that it`s pure preference (and more comfortable with the riser) and doesn't have an impact on performance (although if your are not in the aero position, the riser bar will be less aero vs the flat bar), but we all try not to get out of that position anyways...
I take from you that it's basically personal preferences, either will work.

Daniel,
I'm sure somebody, somewhere, at sometime has done a legit drag test of the flat vs the rise bar but I can't imagine that there's all the much difference. Certainly not enough to overtake you going 2mph faster down a descent and through some turns on the pursuits in a place you are more comfortable/confident!!!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

New to the forum so tried to send a message this way. Let me know if it is wrong!

looking to buy a size Large speedmax cfr and have read a lot of your messages already and thought let's give it a try.

Height: 185 cm
Inseam: 91 cm
armpad reach: 56cm
armpad stack: 64cm
Saddle: 79cm to BB

Thank you so much in advance!

Lars
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [LarsDiepenhorst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

New to the forum so tried to send a message this way. Let me know if it is wrong!

looking to buy a size Large speedmax cfr and have read a lot of your messages already and thought let's give it a try.

Lars,
Welcome to the Slowtwitch Forum! You posted perfectly.

I need to check in on the Pad X (pad reach). I'm wondering if there's a typo there, might you mean 460?

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

yeah apologies about that one. Has to be 46. It is a Cervelo PX size medium, with 46 length. It used to be a Cervelo PX size Large but a bike fitter said it would be better to go size down, well I am never going back to that place again!

The 56ish is distance from tip of saddle to the place I rest my arms on. That is the Cervelo fully stretched out and the reason for my swap to the large Canyon.

If anything needs more explanation let me know. I can make pictures as well as my bikefit is not that accurate anymore, has been a big development from my end.

Kind regards,

Lars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Quote:

Lars,
Welcome to the Slowtwitch Forum! You posted perfectly.

I need to check in on the Pad X (pad reach). I'm wondering if there's a typo there, might you mean 460?

Let me know, Ian

Quote:
Hi Ian,

yeah apologies about that one. Has to be 46. It is a Cervelo PX size medium, with 46 length. It used to be a Cervelo PX size Large but a bike fitter said it would be better to go size down, well I am never going back to that place again!

The 56ish is distance from tip of saddle to the place I rest my arms on. That is the Cervelo fully stretched out and the reason for my swap to the large Canyon.

If anything needs more explanation let me know. I can make pictures as well as my bikefit is not that accurate anymore, has been a big development from my end.

Lars,
Yeah, no worries, you're pretty leggy so I figured that number was case. Okay, so based on Pad Y 640 and Pad X of 460 the right Speedmax CFR is ...well, like so many of us you could fit on two sizes...
a Medium with short stem, mid spacer, and medium extensions. Because you'll use the mid spacer I'd get the flat base bar and not the rise base bar.
-or-
a Large with short stem, low spacer, and medium extensions.
It's a tought call but I think the large is better, the bike fits better "below the waist" and by that I mean you are a bit less built up above the frame. I'd seriously recomend you consider riding a crank that ~165mm (and by that I mean at 165mm).

Ian

Let me know

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, just finding this thread, and have found it INCREDIBLY helpful. Thanks for all the tips/adivce over the years!

Like many here, I was hoping to get your advice on frame size for the Canyon. I'm looking at the CFR, or the CF SLX.
The sizing tool recommends L on the CFR, but on the grid I'm very close to M. I tend to prefer 'aggressive' fits for aero purposes, but admittedly can no longer keep up w/ the latest wind-tunnel 'science' on this matter :) The older I get, the more I'll probably value 'comfortability'. Would I be doing myself a disservice opting for the M vs. the L?

If it helps for context, here are my measurements...
Height: 187
Inseam: 89-90 (depending on how 'hard' I jam the book in there)

And measurements from prior fit on P5 (56 - was definitely a tight fit).
Stack: 570
Reach: 429
Saddle: 817
HX: 520
HY: 630
SX: 150
SY: 750
Crank: 170mm

Appreciate any thoughts that you have! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [jcasino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, just finding this thread, and have found it INCREDIBLY helpful. Thanks for all the tips/adivce over the years!

Like many here, I was hoping to get your advice on frame size for the Canyon. I'm looking at the CFR, or the CF SLX.
The sizing tool recommends L on the CFR, but on the grid I'm very close to M. I tend to prefer 'aggressive' fits for aero purposes, but admittedly can no longer keep up w/ the latest wind-tunnel 'science' on this matter :) The older I get, the more I'll probably value 'comfortability'. Would I be doing myself a disservice opting for the M vs. the L?

If it helps for context, here are my measurements...
Height: 187
Inseam: 89-90 (depending on how 'hard' I jam the book in there)

And measurements from prior fit on P5 (56 - was definitely a tight fit).
Stack: 570
Reach: 429
Saddle: 817
HX: 520
HY: 630
SX: 150
SY: 750
Crank: 170mm

Appreciate any thoughts that you have! Thanks.

jcasino,
Alright... let's start with the easy bits first:
1) SLX & CFR are the same interms of prescribing the size and front-end configuration.
2) Lower doesn't mean faster and doesn't even mean more aero - that's proven time and again and the lastest one for me is Vittoria Bussi who, just 3 weeks ago, set a new One Hour Record and she did it in a position that was higher in pad height than in her previous attempts.

There are only 2 numbers that really matter to me and they are Pad Y (could be called Pad Stack - but you won't hear me use that term) and Pad X measured to the back of the pad (stomp on my foot if you hear me call this Pad Reach). HX/HY measures to the center of the handle bar bore. SX/SY typically measures to the center of the bolt that clamps the saddle rails. Stack/Reach measure to the top of the head tube on an actual bike frame. We're poking around the numbers needed, but were not there.

I'm betting your Pad Y is ~660mm and your Pad X is near to 475mm. So here are my questions...
1) Do you have the fit sheet from the fitter that I can see?
2) Do you still own the old tri bike and can you pull numbers off it using this vid for guidance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I know this is a tri thread but wonder if you could provide some pointers on buying a Canyon Ultimate. I currently own a 2019 Canyon SpeedMax CF8 size L, and thier recommendation tool for the Ultimate says I am in between L and XL. I currently have a Specialized Tarmac 58, but had used 60 in the past as well.

Any ideas o what to do here?
Thanks
Rafael

My numbers from my last SpeedMax fitting are:
My Height is 190 cm
Inseam:89.5 cm

Pad Y : 639 current, 629 after install 60mm spacer
Pad X: 649
Quote Reply

Prev Next