Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [JoakimM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian

Hope you can help with this one.
I have a Felt IA year 2016 model frame with Tririg Alpha One bar/stem with a 17.5 degree extension and pad tilt and and am now looking to get a new Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc Di2.

My measures on the Felt
Height 185cm
Inseam 88.5cm
Saddle height 775mm
Cranks 170mm
Pad Y 625mm
Pad X 480mm

This is based on a fit done a few years ago. The position works well for me and I have no issues staying in aero position in long and middle distance races, while my power output is good (for my standards).

I am based in Europe and in my late 50s.

Thankful for your help

Joakim,
You ride really long and low and the best Speedmax SLX for you is the size Medium. You must get the long stem and push the pads forward ~90%. You'll use the low space plus 5mm or the wedge if you like some tilt in your aerobar position. I think the medium aerobar extension will be fine. If there comes a time when you want more tilt and or more length out of the cockpit then get the Rad Sport spacer and you'll have all you need.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Jmcn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hey looking at the speed max cf slx

Pad x=490 back of pads
Pad y=650 back of pads
Saddle height to rails= 705
Saddle setback= -30
Angle on pads and bars 15 degrees

What would my setup be

Jmcn,
Based ONLY on what you've given me there isnt' a STOCK Speedmax that'll fit you. The Medium won't go long enough to get to a Pad X of 490, and Large won't match your saddle height. Here are the changes that will make it work and some of them might be beneficial - remember, this is just based on what you've given me....

If you got a Speedmax SLX size Medium with the long stem, and acquired the Rad Sport spacer you'd be golden in two ways: 1) it pushes the cockpit out 20mm giving you all the X you need and leaving room for an even longer cockpit avialable if ever needed, and 2) it'll serve your 15 degree tilt.

If... big if in this one... if you're riding cranks that are say 172.5 and you go the size Large SLX, you could (should?) drop down to 160mm cranks and that would move your saddle height to and you'd just barely make the seat height ... you know what? Forget it. I thought I'd be a fan of this option but as I type it out I think it's silly. I'd only recomend it if there was some sort of "size large or die" emergency. The Medium above with the Rad Sport thang is the far better way to go.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [VinceSpeedmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I bought a Speedmax CF SLX last year in size M. I am 1m78 with an inner-leg of 81cm.

I am not very conformable with the length of the of the bar extension since I had to move back on the saddle as i felt be to long compared to the lenght of the bar. I just ordered a new bar from Canyon with longer length. Same for the grips, I ordered longer grips.
While waiting for the new parts, i have also removed the original spacer and replace it with one base spacer and one tilt of 6deg.

Not sure if you could give me some recommendation, but would appreciate any advises regarding the fitting of the cockpit and also the position of the saddle.

Thank you

VinceSpeedmax,
Okay... here's what I understand... you've got a Medium SLX and the aerobar extension is too short. The assumption is that a medium extension came on the medium bike. I'd expect that. That makes sence AND the longer aerobar extension will lengthen your aerobar (back of pad to tip of aerobar grip) but not your "cockpit" (tip of saddle to back of aerobar). You also removed a spacer (they come in small, medium, and large, and then a few 5mm to tweak to perfection) and added in the 6 degree tilt spacer. Great!

Here's what I'd like to suggest... Think of where the saddle sits as a position of power and the bars a place of comfort. When the saddle arrives at the optimal position for your morphology (femur length, pelvic rotation, posterior chain flexiblity, etc) THEN you want to place the front end (the bars) in such a way to support that position of power. For example, if the saddle is positioned perfectly (fore/aft, up/down) for you but the cockpit is too short you can't move the saddle back to make more room in the cockpit - you have to go longer in the front end to solve that. And it appears that's what's you're doing here - right on!

The best way to solve all this is with an educated, experience fitter who has a dynamic fit bike. They can put your under your race-pace load and move the saddle fore/aft/up/down while you're pedaling and then move the bars fore/aft/up/down while you're pedaling and.. through that process you and the fitter will identify your optimal position. Then you get off the dynamic fit bike and match the Speedmax to that postion. This is best done before purchase, but you'd be fine doing it after too.

If you're not going to see a fitter than my next best advice is this... get the bike level on the trainer, do a warm up and then ride a series of 2min efforts that are SOLID (long course triathlon race pace) and move the saddle fore and aft 5mm (noting each location so you can track your position) to find a place where going hard feels the easiest. One way to guide this process is with a digital level - center of bottom bracket to mid saddle - start at 78deg (read: too shallow) and move forward 5mm at a time between there and 83deg (read: too steep). Once you find a good spot.... then move the cockpit fore/aft/up/down to find the most comfy place to support the saddle position. What I'm describing can take half a day when you're changing aero bar spacers on this bike - hence the dynamic fit bike as a tool.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian!

I am looking to purchase a Speedmax CF SLX. I currently ride a Giant Trinity size S. Here are my stats:

Height: 1800
Seat Height: 765
Pad X: 413
Pad Y: 657
Crank Length: 165

I'm comfy in this position but feel like I could go lower just a little bit. Seems like I could fit both S & M. I'm leaning towards the size S, but worried about the massive spacer stack under my pads..... don't quite like the look.
Last edited by: benonlees: Feb 7, 24 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [benonlees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian!

I am looking to purchase a Speedmax CF SLX. I currently ride a Giant Trinity size S. Here are my stats:

I'm comfy in this position but feel like I could go lower just a little bit. Seems like I could fit both S & M. I'm leaning towards the size S, but worried about the massive spacer stack under my pads..... don't quite like the look.

benonlees,
Yeah, it's between a small and a medium. You made a note about going lower... fine, if you want to pursue that because it'll be more comfortable - try it. If you're gonna make that change because you feel like you'll make more power while being lower up front... hmmm, okay, sure, give that a go. If you feel like you want the aesthetic of being lower because you think it looks good - for sure, do it. If you think you shold be lower because you think it'll be more aero.... no. If you're not testing, you're guessing and very often in the wind tunnel, at some point, lower has more drag than higher.

Now, let's talk about something real... Your Pad Y of 657 - love it. If you had just come in and said "I'm 1800mm tall what's my Pad Y?". I would have said 640-660. BUT.... I would have said your Pad X was 460-480. I'm curious as to why your Pad Y is 413. This that a typo?

Let's stay it's not and your holding with your Pad Y...
Speedmax SLX size small - short stem, high spacer, medium extension... great. You mentioned you didn't like the look of big pedestal. Okay.. the....
Speedmax SLX size medium, short stem, mid spacer, medium extension... here's the rub: pads back 99.9% the shortest this bike goes is 410, you're at 413. If it's a typo and should be 443 or 463 or some such then medium for sure. If it's 413 and you know you're never going shorter - okay, medium's the bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian!

benonlees,
Yeah, it's between a small and a medium. You made a note about going lower... fine, if you want to pursue that because it'll be more comfortable - try it. If you're gonna make that change because you feel like you'll make more power while being lower up front... hmmm, okay, sure, give that a go. If you feel like you want the aesthetic of being lower because you think it looks good - for sure, do it. If you think you shold be lower because you think it'll be more aero.... no. If you're not testing, you're guessing and very often in the wind tunnel, at some point, lower has more drag than higher.

Now, let's talk about something real... Your Pad Y of 657 - love it. If you had just come in and said "I'm 1800mm tall what's my Pad Y?". I would have said 640-660. BUT.... I would have said your Pad X was 460-480. I'm curious as to why your Pad Y is 413. This that a typo?

Let's stay it's not and your holding with your Pad Y...
Speedmax SLX size small - short stem, high spacer, medium extension... great. You mentioned you didn't like the look of big pedestal. Okay.. the....
Speedmax SLX size medium, short stem, mid spacer, medium extension... here's the rub: pads back 99.9% the shortest this bike goes is 410, you're at 413. If it's a typo and should be 443 or 463 or some such then medium for sure. If it's 413 and you know you're never going shorter - okay, medium's the bike.

Ian

Thanks so much Ian! Your input means everything. Your postulation of the reasons why people do things is pretty spot on. I guess it’s a testament to your experience.

For Pad Y, I am indeed tempted to go lower for aero gains. I will not be pursuing this after hearing your thoughts.

For pad X, 413 is to the back of the pads. Sometimes, I find the bony part of my elbows sliding towards the middle and front of the pads. My extension bars are not long enough, so while I naturally want to move my elbows forward a little more, my hands start to exceed the ends of the aero bars so I bring myself back.

I guess medium would be more suitable, giving me room to experiment with having the pads more forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm a very tall athlete focused on ironman distance, and have been riding an XL Speedmax CF 8.0 since 2020. I've made numerous changes over the years trying to get the fit to work with multiple bike fitters, focus on decreasing saddle pain/discomfort, and yet again I'm going through what feels like a yearly experiment with saddles of different makes/models. I think I've likely found the best option at least for now in the Dash Stages G2, but with the horizontal/flat rail design I'm not able to get nearly as much seat angle (nose down) as I want, especially when compared to ISM saddle I was on in my last races. I know from some pros like Magnus Ditlev and Braden Curry (non-Canyon athletes) that their solution has been a part that sits between the top of the seat post and clamps the saddle rails that allows the rider to change the angle of the carriage with a tool and lock it, but Canyon doesn't seem to make anything like that. I've included a zoomed out picture for context and then a zoomed in one on the part I'm talking about. Do you know if there's any way to address this on a Canyon stock seatpost?

Thanks,
Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [shelgeson18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Random Question

On my old Felt DA4 I had adapters that let me widen the placement of the elbow pads. Is there anything like that available for the CFR? I’m working on my flexibility in the meantime.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [TonyRad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TonyRad wrote:
Random Question

On my old Felt DA4 I had adapters that let me widen the placement of the elbow pads. Is there anything like that available for the CFR? I’m working on my flexibility in the meantime.
TriRig Wingspan extenders work. I know lots of people use those in conjunction with some Scoops or other armcups.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [shelgeson18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott,

It's tough to load pics here but try again. I'd like to see what you're looking at.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks much. Let me try attaching them instead. The attached picture is Ditlev's Scott Plasma, those bikes use a Syncros seatpost (Syncros Plasma 6 HMX) that comes stock with a Ritchey adjustable clamp. From the LBS mechanics I've talked to, and after sending a message to Ritchey, obviously that part won't work with the Canyon proprietary seatpost. There isn't anything even close that I can find from Canyon in what I can search for online, but I can't find anything similar from a third party that would work.

The second picture is my bike and the carriage in question. I've seen some other Canyons resort to entirely custom seatposts it seems, but those are seemingly far outside my budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the sheet my fitter gave me. Can you help me pick out the right size?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [bluedinosaur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluedinosaur,

I can't open that. Can you try again in another format or... if you can find these three items on your sheet....
  1. Seat height
  2. Pad Y - might be called Pad Stack... or Bottom Bracket to Pad Height or.. god knows what other terms we fitters can drum up.
  3. Pad X... Might be called Pad Reach... or Bottom Bracket to Back of Pad or Bottom Bracket to Pad Center - help us all.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help, Ian. I reuploaded the document and a reduced size JPG.

These are the most likely relevant values to what you are looking for.

Saddle top to BB - 70
Drop from Saddle to pad top - 2.........would the math make it 70-2=68?
Pad ctr/tip of saddle 61.5 and saddle tip to C. BB - 7.8 and Saddle tip to C. HB- 61......... Would the math make it 61.5-7.8= 53.7

or is the information XY tool HB X-526 Y-592?

I believe he did his math from the tip of the saddle and not the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [bluedinosaur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for the help, Ian. I reuploaded the document and a reduced size JPG.
These are the most likely relevant values to what you are looking for.
Saddle top to BB - 70
Drop from Saddle to pad top - 2.........would the math make it 70-2=68?
Pad ctr/tip of saddle 61.5 and saddle tip to C. BB - 7.8 and Saddle tip to C. HB- 61......... Would the math make it 61.5-7.8= 53.7

or is the information XY tool HB X-526 Y-592?

I believe he did his math from the tip of the saddle and not the bottom bracket.

bluedinosaur,
Okay, let's work through this.... you're thinking is logical: we have the set back of 78mm and we have this "Pad ctr/tip of saddle 61.5" - If this means the distance from the tip of the saddle to the center?? of pad is 615mm we could subtract the setback of 78 we'd get 537. And then if I assume that the pad is 100mm long (most are) we subtrack 50 and get a Pad X of 487. Oh boy, there's potential for a lot of noise in all these guesses. The Pad Y isn't much better... sure Seat Height is 700 and Drop (or Pad Height) is 20mm... so we're guessing your Pad Y is 680. If I were to try and prescribe off those nubmers (Pad Y of 680 and Pad X of 487) you'd be a size Large in the SLX and the seat height of 700 wouldn't be possible. So... we get into trouble with all these assumptions.

You paid money for this fit, you own the numbers, and the numbers you need are not here. If you are interested in an article that is basically bible of our situation read THIS

We need your saddle height and we have it, it's 700mm (Saddle top to BB - 70)
We need your Pad X and we don't have it. It is one of THE numbers that allows all fitters to prescribe a tri bike.
We need your Pad Y and we don't have it. It is the other of THE numbers that allows a prescription.

Could you call your fitter and make this ask - and it's a small ask. Tell them you need the Pad Y and Pad X (to the rear of the pad) (they might call it Pad Stack and Pad Reach). All they'll need to do is positon their fit bike into HY of 592, HX of 526 - put the same Zipp Vuka bar on it that they used during your fit, and then measure from the center of the Bottom Bracket to the back of the pad. In anybody's fit studio this might take 3 minutes. they don't have to put the saddle back on, they don't have to position the saddle rail X/Y, it's just about the front end. If there's any issue of misunderstanding have the fitter call me at three one oh! 924 Seven 3 six two. There it is.. my attempt to foil AI.

While we're waiting for that here's what I'd like to do... Can you reply with your height and your inseam... and any extreme issues (fused vertebrea, supremely tight posterior chain [hamstrings/glute/low back], any semi freakish abnormalities). I like a chance to test the system I'm using while we wait for the fitter to come back with your numbers.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My document says get fit "Serotta" up at the top, so that is likely the philosophy my fitter used. I have a long upper torso and short legs, so your numbers are likely correct. I can tell by your understanding of the numbers you have a lot of experience here. Very impressive.

Yes, I believe it is from the tip of the saddle to the center of the pad, and that is the measurement he took too. He talked about how he used the fizik mistica saddle which my sit bone would be 14cm back. My numbers would vary based on which saddle I used. My numbers could be correct though because I have short legs and a longer torso. I definitely can see being large in length but small in height.

Thanks for the article. This will give me a good understanding of what I need to be looking for, so I can fully understand the numbers and what to look for. Thanks for the effort you are putting in! I will check with the fitter and see what my pad Y and pad X should be, and give you a call if we can't figure it out. They will be open Tuesday. You are way smarter than any AI, because it worked. lol

My height is 176 and I just measured my inseam to be 74, but the fitter put 78 and used his tool. Maybe I had cleats on at the time. I can't remember. I have no extreme abnormalities to note. Being American my head is spinning with all this metric. It is way easier to use though.
Last edited by: bluedinosaur: Feb 18, 24 5:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thank again for your help. Does this advice also hold for the rim brake version? CF 8.0 (2020): https://www.canyon.com/...max-cf-8.0/1819.html

Basic geometry of the two bikes seems to differ a bit.

Thanks in advance,

Koen
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [RvanRijswijk024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Great to see your assistance in this thread. I'm planning to buy a Speedmax CF 8.0, which would be my first dedicated triathlon bike. I am in doubt between a M and L. I have done a bike fitting last year for my road bike, with the following measurements:

Height 1.85m
Inseam 86 cm

hX 498
hY 645
crank length 172.5
See pictures below for rest of the measurements.
Which configuration/size would you recommend?
Thanks so much in advance! :)
Best, Koen

Koen,
Get the Medium. The 80mm stem that comes on that bike will work you'll just need to push the pads forward a bit - I think your Pad X is ~480. Your Pad Y is probably around 655. You're in a good spot on the medium to find the perfect place.

Couple of side notes... I would love to see you ride the Speedmax CF with cranks shorter than 172.5.... 165s are probably your best bet. Also, while your road bike seat height is 768 your tri bike saddle height will likely be much higher.

Together....here, you and I can nail the size of the bike and the front end configuration but a fit by a bike fitter in person will work out the details - clearly you see value in that as you've had your road bike fitted by a professional.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank again for your help. Does this advice also hold for the rim brake version? CF 8.0 (2020): https://www.canyon.com/...max-cf-8.0/1819.html

Basic geometry of the two bikes seems to differ a bit.

Thanks in advance,

Koen

Koen,
Good that you asked and no, the rim brake bike has, as you noted, different geometry.

For the rim brake CF you could get the Pad Y of 655 on both the Medium and the Large but as for the Pad X of 480ish you'd need to pull the 80mm stem that came stock on the medium and go a bit longer, the Large came with a 90mm stem and that would deliver on Pad X.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the help,

I called the bike fitter, and he said my pad X was 488 cm and my pad Y was 642 cm.

Saddle height = 700 mm
Pad X = 488 mm
Pad Y = 642 mm

I have no extreme health issues, and I am in good health. I wish I did my research before heading to the fitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi again Ian!

Here is the card where you fit me in Kona in 2017 for a Speedmax!

I have the chance to get a new Speedmax CFR direct from Canyon now!

What size would you recommend me in the CFR?

Canyon website puts me as an XS (5 ft 6 inches with 31 inches inseam)

I will also be changing out the stock 165 cranks to 155!

Thank you so much for all your help love reading this thread!
Last edited by: Sweet T: Feb 27, 24 15:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really needing this! Coordinates from my prior bike but don’t have any for my current so hopefully this helps get in the range.

Saddle height 783
Arm pad stack 663
Arm Pad reach BB 463
Arm pad reach 453
Height 6ft
Inseam measured 30 per canyon website guide and just under 31 with bike shoes on.

I’ve previously been on 56 cervelo p3 and large specialized shiv TT (uci)

Thank you!!

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Wondering if you might be able to help me. I recently purchased a medium Speedmax CFR. I have the elbow pads set at the widest setting and feel they are still too narrow. I have quite broad shoulders and the pads are about 20mm narrower than my previous bike. I spoke with Canyon and they said it isn't possible to get a wider spring (the bar that the elbow pads attach to.

Are you aware of any way to get some more width in the elbow pads?

thanks
Murray
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Sweet T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi again Ian!

Here is the card where you fit me in Kona in 2017 for a Speedmax!
I have the chance to get a new Speedmax CFR direct from Canyon now!
What size would you recommend me in the CFR?
Canyon website puts me as an XS (5 ft 6 inches with 31 inches inseam)
I will also be changing out the stock 165 cranks to 155!

Thank you so much for all your help love reading this thread!

Sweet T,
Man that fitting we did in the expo at Kona seems like AGES ago. I like those numbers though and I love you on 155s.
What I'm prescribing below is good for both a CFR and SLX if anything changes - fit wise, same bike.

So we can go with Pad Y of 590 and Pad X of 410 (converted from center to rear) and you can fit on either a small or XS.
If it's a Small, short stem, low spacer, medium extension
If it's an XS, short stem, mid spacer, medium extension

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Really needing this! Coordinates from my prior bike but don’t have any for my current so hopefully this helps get in the range.

Saddle height 783
Arm pad stack 663
Arm Pad reach BB 463
Arm pad reach 453
Height 6ft
Inseam measured 30 per canyon website guide and just under 31 with bike shoes on.

I’ve previously been on 56 cervelo p3 and large specialized shiv TT (uci)

Thank you!!

mungub50,
Pad Y of 663 is a hair higher than I would have expected/predicted (I was thinking 640-650) but were' in a good neighborhood. Pad X of 463 sees a bit shorter than the 480ish I would have thought - all of this could easily be explained but I'll make sure there's room in my prescription for what you're giving me and where you might move to in the future...

If you go a Canyon Speedmax SLX or CFR - this is gonna be a wild answer so strap in...
  • If you're outside the USA then get the Medium, long stem, mid spacer, medium extension.
  • If you're inside the USAT then your best fit is on a size Medium with a short stem, mid spacer, medium extension and then put one foot outisde the Canyon universe and obtain a Rad Sport angled spacer thing to get a couple more mm in your cockpit and what I'm sure will be some very welcome aerobar tilt.
  • If the numbers you gave me from above are on a bike with 170 cranks or longer then get a size Large, short stem, low spacer, medium extension and put on a set of 165mm cranks.

Avoiding confusion... outside the USA then get the Medium + long stem. You're set. If you're inside the USA get the Medium (best fit) and get the Rad Sport spacer. If you're in the USA, no Medium's are available AND your numbers are from a bike with 170 cranks or 172.5 or 175s then get the Large and move to 165s and you're set.

Now, if you're thinkin'... no, no, no I want the Speedmax CF... okay....
Size Medium, as is, all set.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [mjbruce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Wondering if you might be able to help me. I recently purchased a medium Speedmax CFR. I have the elbow pads set at the widest setting and feel they are still too narrow. I have quite broad shoulders and the pads are about 20mm narrower than my previous bike. I spoke with Canyon and they said it isn't possible to get a wider spring (the bar that the elbow pads attach to.

Are you aware of any way to get some more width in the elbow pads?

thanks

Murray,
Man, I hear ya. The widest those arm pads will go it ~175mm (center to center). That's pretty narrow. I have two answers for you. I have not yet acted on either one of these, they are not endorsed by me, Canyon, Slowtwitch, Dow, BASF, Dupont, or any of their (mine, ours?) subsidiaries...okay, disclaimers concluded, here goes....
1) Bop on over to Tri Rig and you acquire an item called Wingpan Extenders. I've only seen these on a Speedmax in pics, never live/in person. I know for sure that the holes where you'd mount these to the Speedmax base (they call it a spring, but c'mon) and I simply assume that everyone at TriRig will make standard spaced arm pad bolt holes (fingers crossed). You could send 'em an email prior just to be sure.
2) you find your way to your local machine shop with your bike and a multi tool ready to pull off one arm pad (if you live in the Los Angeles area, may I recomend Findlay's 405 near Santa Monica Blvd, see Keith). Explain to those amazing craftsmen and women what you're in need of and let them do their thing.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next