Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian looking for some advice on a Canyon CFR

I’m currently on a Giant Trinity Medium with full Drag to Zero cockpit

My sizes are as follows

Height 186cm
Crank 172.5
Pad Y - 690mm
Pad X - 430mm
Seat Height - 785mm
Tip of saddle to end of shifter - 910mm
Centre of front hub to front of pad - 625mm

My bike fitter was Matt Bottrill in the UK using Retul

Just wondering if a M or L would be the best option

Thanks
graeme
Last edited by: graemesteele13: Nov 21, 23 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

I just found this forum and found it very useful, so first of all thanks a lot for your time and advice.

I currently don't have a tri bike, just a road bike Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7 (2023 model) Size S and a mountainbike Canyon Lux CF 6 Size M. I bought them respecting the size recommended by Canyon, but I have doubts about the triathlon model.
I'm planning on investing on a tri bike, the Speedmax CF 7 Disc (EU Market), with the following measures, Canyon recommend a Size M.

height: 178 cm
inseam: 83 cm

saddle height: 72 cm
arm length: 65,5 cm

I would really appreciate it if you could confirm that size M is the right one.
And possibly advice on whether or not I need to use spacers or move the saddle forward or backward, etc.
I understand that this is very approximate, but it would serve as a starting point before doing a bike fit.

Thank you
Best Regards,
David
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [rafdlv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I know this is a tri thread but wonder if you could provide some pointers on buying a Canyon Ultimate. I currently own a 2019 Canyon SpeedMax CF8 size L, and thier recommendation tool for the Ultimate says I am in between L and XL. I currently have a Specialized Tarmac 58, but had used 60 in the past as well.

Any ideas o what to do here?
Thanks
Rafael

Rafael,
The metrics I use to fit a tri bike and road bike are different - but I'm a fitter, and I'm passionate about getting someone on the right bike the first time. Here's what I'd need.
1) Stack 'n Reach of your current road bike - you say it's a Spesh Tarmac 58, okay, Stack is 591, Reach is 402
2) Stem Length - how long is the stem on your that 58 Tarmac?
3) Stem Pitch - is the stem level with the ground (-17 degrees), pointing up ever so slightly (-6ish), pointing up quite a bit (+6)?
4) Amount of spacer (includ. headset dust cover) between the bottom of the stem and the top of the bike frame (headtube)?
5) I'd like to know the "reach" of the handle bar - it's hard to measure, I'd guess it at 75mm.

If you can come back with answers to #s 2, 3, 4 (and maybe a pic to confirm) I can get very specific about the Ultimate. If your response to this is "jezzzus man, just let me ride! I clearly don't care about fit as much as you do". Then my answer would be...
You're current bike has a Stack of 591 and Reach of 402. The Canyon Ultimate frame that comes closest to that is the Large which has a Stack of 580 and a Reach of 401. The difference in Stack could be solved with a 10mm spacer under the stem (I'll forgo the 1 missing mm as we have things call elbows and they work well). The single mm difference in Reach is nice as the hoods could be slipped up curve of the bar a bit more. But here's the rub for me who comes from a fit-first apporach... if you've already got, say 30-35mm of spacer and a +6 stem to solve the "lowness" of the current bike then we've puchased a bike that's 11mm lower - you'd need 45mm of spacer under the stem and that's not good. In that situation I'd say get the Canyon Endurace where the size large bike has a Stack of 611 (nearly 20mm taller than the bikes we're discussing). If you've already got, say a 90mm stem on the existing bike to make it work to solve the "longness" of the bike then I'd also like you to consider the Endrance as the size large has a Reach of 387 (now you could do a 110stem with a 70mm bar curve) and have a bike that handles better.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian!

Love the attention to detail, I think youre correct, the Ultimate L is probably the way to go. Endurance L is an interesting option, how would the ride differ between the two bikes?

Answers to your questions:
2. Stem Lenght on Tarmac - 110 mm
3. Stem Oitch, dont knwo how to measure the angle but adding a picture for your reference
4.Amount of Spacer: I thinkn it is around 30 mm
5. Reach of the Handlebar- youre right seems to be at around 75mm

Thanks for your help!

Rafael
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [graemesteele13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

My sizes are as follows
Height 186cm
Crank 172.5
Pad Y - 690mm
Pad X - 430mm
Seat Height - 785mm

Greame,
You can make this fit happen on either a medium or a large. On the Medium... 430 is a great X, right in the sweet spot of the short stem. 690 however is the absolute max of the Pad Y on the meidum. On the Large...690 is a nice Y, right in the sweet spot of the mid spacer. 430 however is the absolute minimum of the Pad X on the large.

I found 690/430 a bit of a surprize, it's on the fringe (to get a sense of what I'm saying scan this article and plot your spot on the graph https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ld_Example_6852.html) .... based on height alone I'd expect you to be more like 650/500, but maybe your morphology is made up with long legs and short torso so you're more like 665/465. I'm not sure what's keeping you from riding lower and a bit longer but there are some common, simple things. You were kind enough to include the fact that you ride 172.5 cranks and that stood out to me. If you went to 165mm cranks it would likely free up your hip angle at the top of the pedal stroke and allow you to ride lower. I'd also like to see what saddle you're using and where you sit on it while in aero - my guess you should be riding "steeper" (I mean this in terms of seat anle or where your hip sits in relation to the BB) and the saddle might be one of those things keeping that move forward from happening. That would allow you to ride a longer cockpit.

If you're locked into 690/430 then get the large, mid spacer, medium extension and pull the pads back 100%
If you're willing to get shorter cranks then get them with the medium, mid spacer +5 or 10mm, medium extension, and place the pads almost dead center.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [wsp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,

I just found this forum and found it very useful, so first of all thanks a lot for your time and advice.

I currently don't have a tri bike, just a road bike Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7 (2023 model) Size S and a mountainbike Canyon Lux CF 6 Size M. I bought them respecting the size recommended by Canyon, but I have doubts about the triathlon model.
I'm planning on investing on a tri bike, the Speedmax CF 7 Disc (EU Market), with the following measures, Canyon recommend a Size M.

height: 178 cm
inseam: 83 cm

saddle height: 72 cm
arm length: 65,5 cm

I would really appreciate it if you could confirm that size M is the right one.
And possibly advice on whether or not I need to use spacers or move the saddle forward or backward, etc.
I understand that this is very approximate, but it would serve as a starting point before doing a bike fit.

David,
I want to begin where you ended... "but it would be a starting point before doing a bike fit". Truely professional, committed bike fitters own tooling specific to their craft. Find a bike fitter who is educated in the triathlon position, experienced in fitting triahtletes and who owns a Dynamic Fit bike (there are only 5: Purely Custom, Retul Muve, Exit, Guru DFU, and Shimano). A fitter who uses such a device can get you up on there and take you through a process - in which you participate/give feed-back - that will result in two sets of numbers. One is Pad Y and Pad X (I think I have an idea but a pre-fit would confirm/detail those). The other is all your fit coordinates: seat height, set back, cockpit distance, pad width, aerobar tilt, pad elevation, etc. etc. You can often try different saddles in this process and different crank lengths.

If that's not possible....
I think you're Pad Y is in the neighborhood of 650 and your Pad X is roughly 455. You'll fit on a Meidum but I worry about the seat height. It's safer for you to get a size small Canyon Speedmax CF. That bike will come stock with a 70mm stem which will work well. You'll probalby push the arm pads foreward quite a bit. You will want to leave the ~25mm spacer under the stem - that's nice too as it makes the top of the stem level with the top of the top-tube storage box for a clean look. Then you'll probably employ 25-35mm of aerobar pedestal to pefect the pad height (the bike will come with a slew of spacers and bolt lengths from Profile Design to perfect the pad height).

I cannot speak to how you'll position the saddle (here in print on a form, I'd need to see you in person for that) - that's a very precise and delicate adjustment that melds together comfort and power. What I can say is this, you're going to rider much farther foward (ie. hips over bottom bracket) than you do on the Lux or even Ultimate. This is important, if you look at the pics of who rides well in triathlon (male, female, pro, age grouper) HERE or HERE you'll note that not only are their saddles foward but they are perched on the nose of those foward saddles. It's important to approach that position and in doing so your upper body will move forward out over the front wheel and your elbow position will very likely get lower. Some folks call this "agressive" but what it really is is comfortable.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Thank you for the reply. I have attached an image of myself when I got my bike fit back in 2022. This was done after only having a TT bike for 6 months. I’m still really new to the sport so flexibility was a slight issue.
The saddle that is used is an ISM PS1.0
Hope this helps a little. Obviously being right in the middle of both sizes makes it hard to make a decision. The L is currently available in the CFR. Do you think from the info the L would be best.
Last edited by: graemesteele13: Nov 24, 23 16:09
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [rafdlv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I know this is a tri thread but wonder if you could provide some pointers on buying a Canyon Ultimate. I currently own a 2019 Canyon SpeedMax CF8 size L, and thier recommendation tool for the Ultimate says I am in between L and XL. I currently have a Specialized Tarmac 58, but had used 60 in the past as well.

Any ideas o what to do here?
Thanks
Rafael
Rafael,
The metrics I use to fit a tri bike and road bike are different - but I'm a fitter, and I'm passionate about getting someone on the right bike the first time. Here's what I'd need.
1) Stack 'n Reach of your current road bike - you say it's a Spesh Tarmac 58, okay, Stack is 591, Reach is 402
2) Stem Length - how long is the stem on your that 58 Tarmac?
3) Stem Pitch - is the stem level with the ground (-17 degrees), pointing up ever so slightly (-6ish), pointing up quite a bit (+6)?
4) Amount of spacer (includ. headset dust cover) between the bottom of the stem and the top of the bike frame (headtube)?
5) I'd like to know the "reach" of the handle bar - it's hard to measure, I'd guess it at 75mm.

If you can come back with answers to #s 2, 3, 4 (and maybe a pic to confirm) I can get very specific about the Ultimate. If your response to this is "jezzzus man, just let me ride! I clearly don't care about fit as much as you do". Then my answer would be...
You're current bike has a Stack of 591 and Reach of 402. The Canyon Ultimate frame that comes closest to that is the Large which has a Stack of 580 and a Reach of 401. The difference in Stack could be solved with a 10mm spacer under the stem (I'll forgo the 1 missing mm as we have things call elbows and they work well). The single mm difference in Reach is nice as the hoods could be slipped up curve of the bar a bit more. But here's the rub for me who comes from a fit-first apporach... if you've already got, say 30-35mm of spacer and a +6 stem to solve the "lowness" of the current bike then we've puchased a bike that's 11mm lower - you'd need 45mm of spacer under the stem and that's not good. In that situation I'd say get the Canyon Endurace where the size large bike has a Stack of 611 (nearly 20mm taller than the bikes we're discussing). If you've already got, say a 90mm stem on the existing bike to make it work to solve the "longness" of the bike then I'd also like you to consider the Endrance as the size large has a Reach of 387 (now you could do a 110stem with a 70mm bar curve) and have a bike that handles better.

Ian

Thanks Ian!

Love the attention to detail, I think youre correct, the Ultimate L is probably the way to go. Endurance L is an interesting option, how would the ride differ between the two bikes?

Answers to your questions:
2. Stem Lenght on Tarmac - 110 mm
3. Stem Oitch, dont knwo how to measure the angle but adding a picture for your reference
4.Amount of Spacer: I thinkn it is around 30 mm
5. Reach of the Handlebar- youre right seems to be at around 75mm

Thanks for your help!

Rafael

Rafael,
Great pics, great details with the measuring tape - all of it. Okay, so we've got the old bike: Stack of 591, Reach of 402, built with a 110mm stem, +6 pitch, and 30mm of spacer. Great.

If you wanted to duplicate the position on a Canyon it'll be tough to do on the Ultimate. The bike is 10mm lower and putting 40mm of spacer under the Ultimate can a challenge, especailly if you get one of the high-end Ultimates that come with a one-piece stem bar combo as you cannot put a +6 stem on that so that means you'd need even more spacer to get the brakehoods in the same spot. If you think you can ride lower - 30mm lower - then the Ultimate is the way to go.

I want to suggest the Endurace.... and there's an immediate "fork in the road" on this decision. If you get a CF level Endruance you can pick a bike with a very normal (mortal) stem on it. If you do that you can make your position perfect because you can do a +6 stem a -6 stem, you can do 20, 30mm spacer, you can tweak and a adjust quickly & inexpensively to make perfect. If you get an SLX or CFR level you can get very close but that one-pice front end will not have the same flexiblity. As noted previously the Stack on that bike (in a size large) is 611 and Reach of 387. If you wanted to duplicate the position you have currently then your front end configuration would be something close to 110mm stem (that parts easy as all the size large Enduraces come with a 110 stem weather it's a sexy, carbon cockpit or a basic stem). If you get the sexy cockpit then the stem is a -6 pitch and you'd need 30mm of spacer under the -6 stem to get the hoods where you have 'em on the current bike. I think the sexy cockpits can only take 15mm of spacer under them so the question would be... can you ride 15mm lower than you're riding now. If yes, get one. If no then get a CF level Endurace so you know you can make the fit perfect quick/easy stem/spacer changes.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [graemesteele13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Quote:

My sizes are as follows
Height 186cm
Crank 172.5
Pad Y - 690mm
Pad X - 430mm
Seat Height - 785mm
Greame,
You can make this fit happen on either a medium or a large. On the Medium... 430 is a great X, right in the sweet spot of the short stem. 690 however is the absolute max of the Pad Y on the meidum. On the Large...690 is a nice Y, right in the sweet spot of the mid spacer. 430 however is the absolute minimum of the Pad X on the large.

I found 690/430 a bit of a surprize, it's on the fringe (to get a sense of what I'm saying scan this article and plot your spot on the graph https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ld_Example_6852.html) .... based on height alone I'd expect you to be more like 650/500, but maybe your morphology is made up with long legs and short torso so you're more like 665/465. I'm not sure what's keeping you from riding lower and a bit longer but there are some common, simple things. You were kind enough to include the fact that you ride 172.5 cranks and that stood out to me. If you went to 165mm cranks it would likely free up your hip angle at the top of the pedal stroke and allow you to ride lower. I'd also like to see what saddle you're using and where you sit on it while in aero - my guess you should be riding "steeper" (I mean this in terms of seat anle or where your hip sits in relation to the BB) and the saddle might be one of those things keeping that move forward from happening. That would allow you to ride a longer cockpit.

If you're locked into 690/430 then get the large, mid spacer, medium extension and pull the pads back 100%
If you're willing to get shorter cranks then get them with the medium, mid spacer +5 or 10mm, medium extension, and place the pads almost dead center.

Ian

Hi Ian

Thank you for the reply. I have attached an image of myself when I got my bike fit back in 2022. This was done after only having a TT bike for 6 months. I’m still really new to the sport so flexibility was a slight issue.
The saddle that is used is an ISM PS1.0
Hope this helps a little. Obviously being right in the middle of both sizes makes it hard to make a decision. The L is currently available in the CFR. Do you think from the info the L would be best.

Graeme,
Got your pic. The saddle is an excellent one - loved by many. Where you're sitting on it looks very right to me. I'm very happy with the Pad Y of 690 - you can probalby only go lower with shorter cranks (if you do go shorter get 165s) but that's not the priority right now. I think your Pad X of 430 is short, the pic confirms it for me. I'm ready to make my recomendation...
Order a size large in the CFR. Get the short stem, use a mid spacer, the medium extension (I'd get the flat bar but it's up to you). If you want to duplicate your position pull pads back 100% as short as the cockpit can be made and you'll have exactly what you've got now. However.... here are the two future changes that I think you'll love: 1) move the pads forward 1 hole and ride for a week. I suspect you'll like it. Then move the pads forward another hole (it's quick and easy to do) and try that. My guess is you'll end up with a Pad X of ~450 and you'll feel great. 2) get a set of 165 cranks, install 'em and raise your saddle 7.5mm. Leave the frontend where it is. You'll be lower and you'll be giggling at how you're riding your favortie cadence in one cog bigger and making more power.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info Ian. Will wait for the CFR to come back in stock and get it ordered
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm a triathlon newbie looking for a Speedmax CFR or SLX for long distance racing. I had a fitting this morning with some quite special sizes...

height: 186cm with an inseam of 92 cm. (Long arms and long legs)
X: 480
Y: 710
sattle height: 83 cm
crank: 170 mm

The fitter told me to order the Speedmax in XL with a short rise bar and long extensions, because XL would fit best in relation to my stack and reach.
I was thinking whether Size L with the 80 mm stem would be an option as well. Would you choose a crank in 170 or 172,5? (XL: 172,5 L:170)

I am really looking forward to hear your opinion on that. Thanks a lot in advance.

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [TimK1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What were the different crank lengths that you tried during the fitting?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just tried the 170mm. The crank length of my road bike is 175mm. So I think 170 and 172,5 will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [TimK1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimK1984 wrote:
I just tried the 170mm. The crank length of my road bike is 175mm. So I think 170 and 172,5 will be fine.

My younger son is the same height as you and uses 155mm cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I don’t have a tri bike currently. I do have a Giant TCR in a size XL. I had a specialized Tarmac size 61. I had 2 separate Giant Trinity TT bikes, both size L. My background is road racing and time trialing. I don’t have the reach and stack measurements anymore.
I’m looking to get a Speedmax CF SLX. I’m trying to figure out sizing. I know the value in having it properly fit once purchased. Just trying to get the right frame that I can work with.
If you have any other measurements that I could provide to narrow it up, just let me know. Thank you in advance!

Height: 75inches
Inseam: 35inches

Travis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I'm a triathlon newbie looking for a Speedmax CFR or SLX for long distance racing. I had a fitting this morning with some quite special sizes...

The fitter told me to order the Speedmax in XL with a short rise bar and long extensions, because XL would fit best in relation to my stack and reach.
I was thinking whether Size L with the 80 mm stem would be an option as well. Would you choose a crank in 170 or 172,5? (XL: 172,5 L:170)

I am really looking forward to hear your opinion on that. Thanks a lot in advance.

Tim,
It's true you can fit on either the XL or Large SLX/CFR (those bikes are the same in terms of geometry & fit). You've already been nudged by Jimatbeyond with this message and I'll second it here: just becasue a bike is spec'd with a certain crank length (this could be said for saddles too) they might not be the right cranks for you. I'd think a 165 would be the longest cranks you'd want to run but this doesn't necessarily have to happen in the first week or even first year of ownership.

If you got the XL the set up would be short stem/bar, mid spacer, long extensions. The rise bar is not mandatory but you can do that if you wish. If you got the Large the set up would be short stem/bar, high spacer, long extensions. The rise bar makes more sense with this front-end configuration. If both bikes were avaiable I'd get the XL, but they are so similar for you that if only the large is ready to order than get that one.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Tarmactravis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I don’t have a tri bike currently. I do have a Giant TCR in a size XL. I had a specialized Tarmac size 61. I had 2 separate Giant Trinity TT bikes, both size L. My background is road racing and time trialing. I don’t have the reach and stack measurements anymore.
I’m looking to get a Speedmax CF SLX. I’m trying to figure out sizing. I know the value in having it properly fit once purchased. Just trying to get the right frame that I can work with.
If you have any other measurements that I could provide to narrow it up, just let me know. Thank you in advance!

Height: 75inches
Inseam: 35inches

Travis,
Back in the day the only way to get a bike fit was to own a bike. That’s not the case anymore. I hope you’ll allow me to expound for a moment on current, professional bike fitting and the capabilities to “prescribe” a bike to purchase.

Modern, professional, committed bike fitters own tooling specific to their craft. The very best one can do before buying is to find a fitter who is educated in the TT/Tri position, experienced in that position, and who owns a Dynamic Fit Bike (there are only 5 in existence: Purely Custom, Muve, Exit, Guru DFU, and Shimano). You’d go, dressed to ride, ready to work a bit and sweat. The fitter would set up the Dynamic Fit Bike with a saddle right for you, bars that were appropriate, a logical starting crank length and they’d have you hop on and ride.

The fitter would take you through a process and together the two of you would find your optimal position. One that’s comfortable so you can stay in aero for long periods of time, one that’s powerful so your feeling strong in that comfy position, and a position that might sustain comfort & power and reduce some drag.

FROM THAT PRE-FIT PROCESS we’d have two sets of numbers
1) Pad Y and Pad X so we can prescribe the right size frame and the details of the front end needed.
2) all of your fit coordinates: seat height, set back, cockpit details, pad width, aerobar tilt, etc. etc. etc. The fit is finished even before you own the bike.

If you can’t find that fitter (educated, experienced, and owns/uses a Dynamic Fit Bike) then I can pretty darn close to the Pad Y and Pad X with some body morphology numbers.

So... if you want to get back to me with your location I can see if there's a fitter on my list near you - let's proceed with your morphology 'til then....

I think you're Pad Y is around 675 and your Pad X is roughly 500 - based on that you should get an XL Speedmax SLX with the short stem, flat bar, you'll probably use the low spacer but the bike comes with a slew of spacers and bolt lengths to go up or down to make the pad height perfect, and the medium extension.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Tim,
It's true you can fit on either the XL or Large SLX/CFR (those bikes are the same in terms of geometry & fit). You've already been nudged by Jimatbeyond with this message and I'll second it here: just becasue a bike is spec'd with a certain crank length (this could be said for saddles too) they might not be the right cranks for you. I'd think a 165 would be the longest cranks you'd want to run but this doesn't necessarily have to happen in the first week or even first year of ownership.

If you got the XL the set up would be short stem/bar, mid spacer, long extensions. The rise bar is not mandatory but you can do that if you wish. If you got the Large the set up would be short stem/bar, high spacer, long extensions. The rise bar makes more sense with this front-end configuration. If both bikes were avaiable I'd get the XL, but they are so similar for you that if only the large is ready to order than get that one.

Ian

Hello Ian,

thanks a lot for all the advices. I was lucky, so I ordered a Speedmax in XL. It is in stock, so maybe it will be mine just before christmas.

best regards

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian.
Thank you for the prompt and thorough reply! I live in California, more specifically, Chico. Zip code is 95926.
An issue I’ll deal with (along with everyone in the US), is Speedmax availability. So if you have any additional recommendations, I’m all ears!
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

Hi Ian,

First off, thank you for your generosity in helping members with fit advice.
I'm looking at a SLX as my first tri bike. Here are my numbers.
Height: 182cm
Inseam: 86cm
Excellent hip mobility
Previous bike was a 2020 Giant Propel, size ML. I don't have actual pad X pad Y etc numbers since the bike is sold. The best I can offer is an estimate based on measuring various old photos of the bike using an online measuring tool. So take these numbers with a grain of salt.
Pad X: 470-480mm
Pad Y: 650-660mm
Saddle Height: 780mm
With this fit, I felt I could have moved the pads back slightly as my arm angle was 105 degrees and felt a little stretched.

TriguyRy,
I think your X/Y guesses are really good. I'm going to prescribe off of a Pad Y of 650 and Pad X of 470. You, like so many, can fit on two sizes of the Canyon Speedmax. I'll detail both and share my opinion.
1) size medium - long stem, mid spacer, meidum extension
2) size large - short stem, low spacer, medium extension

There are so many things to consider so let me start with the simplest - if you're in the USA I think you should get the large simply because the bike ships with everything you need stock and I'm not 100% sure you can get parts to expand on the medium. If you're ordering from Europe and can select the bits within the order process then... hmmm, it's a toss up, I'd prolly get the medium as you can order the bike built with the long stem and I like the aesthetic of a taller post. If you're in the USA and you want (or can only get) the meidum then you can consider obtaining the RadSport thang to get the longer cockpit out of the short stem.
There are bosses behind the seat post in which one could mount a Canyon oem water bottle holder. This will not be an option on the large as the post will be in the frame a bit and lower boss will be covered.

Get back to me if you have questions or if I've made the whole process worse by giving you too many options.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I was looking back at this post and I realized that I gave you an incorrect saddle height measurement, my apologies. I think the 780mm was as estimate. My current saddle height is 765mm, however that is on my XC bike with a 74 degree STA. I'm curious to know if my pad X/Y will change as a result of a 15mm lower saddle height.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [TriguyRy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Hi Ian,

First off, thank you for your generosity in helping members with fit advice.
I'm looking at a SLX as my first tri bike. Here are my numbers.
Height: 182cm
Inseam: 86cm
Excellent hip mobility
Previous bike was a 2020 Giant Propel, size ML. I don't have actual pad X pad Y etc numbers since the bike is sold. The best I can offer is an estimate based on measuring various old photos of the bike using an online measuring tool. So take these numbers with a grain of salt.
Pad X: 470-480mm
Pad Y: 650-660mm
Saddle Height: 780mm
With this fit, I felt I could have moved the pads back slightly as my arm angle was 105 degrees and felt a little stretched.

TriguyRy,
I think your X/Y guesses are really good. I'm going to prescribe off of a Pad Y of 650 and Pad X of 470. You, like so many, can fit on two sizes of the Canyon Speedmax. I'll detail both and share my opinion.
1) size medium - long stem, mid spacer, meidum extension
2) size large - short stem, low spacer, medium extension

There are so many things to consider so let me start with the simplest - if you're in the USA I think you should get the large simply because the bike ships with everything you need stock and I'm not 100% sure you can get parts to expand on the medium. If you're ordering from Europe and can select the bits within the order process then... hmmm, it's a toss up, I'd prolly get the medium as you can order the bike built with the long stem and I like the aesthetic of a taller post. If you're in the USA and you want (or can only get) the meidum then you can consider obtaining the RadSport thang to get the longer cockpit out of the short stem.
There are bosses behind the seat post in which one could mount a Canyon oem water bottle holder. This will not be an option on the large as the post will be in the frame a bit and lower boss will be covered.

Get back to me if you have questions or if I've made the whole process worse by giving you too many options.

Ian
Hi Ian,

I was looking back at this post and I realized that I gave you an incorrect saddle height measurement, my apologies. I think the 780mm was as estimate. My current saddle height is 765mm, however that is on my XC bike with a 74 degree STA. I'm curious to know if my pad X/Y will change as a result of a 15mm lower saddle height.

Thanks in advance.

TriguyRy,
This doesn't change the Pad Y/X assessment nor the prescription I offered before. Just to be clear... if your saddle height (measured center of bb to top of the middle of the saddle) is 765 on that XC bike it'll probably be taller still on your tri bike with - what I'd expect and hope would be shorter cranks too.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Tarmactravis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian.
Thank you for the prompt and thorough reply! I live in California, more specifically, Chico. Zip code is 95926.
An issue I’ll deal with (along with everyone in the US), is Speedmax availability. So if you have any additional recommendations, I’m all ears!
Thank you!

Travis,
You can go 2.5 hours south to see Gino at Sports Basement in Walnut Creek or 3.5 hours north to see me in Ashland, Oregon. Both those trips are on the long side but I want to remind you that this investment (in time and money) will result in perhaps 10 years of a good position - that's worth something.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll make the trip up to Ashland for sure. Not sure the best way to contact you to schedule it, but I’d like to get it on the calendar. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,
I am jumping on this thread because I am looking to purchase a Speedmax SLX tri bike. The Canyon guide prescribes a large but I currently use a Trek Emonda Road Bike with clip on aero bars, size 62. I’m 76.25“ tall with inseam 36.25”. Also have quite long arms. I don’t feel as though I want a super agressive set-up on the new bike which is what my LBS resource would be the case if I got a L. Should I go with an XL? Apologies if unlike the post below I am missing too much information.

Thank you for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [drewkuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello Ian,
I am jumping on this thread because I am looking to purchase a Speedmax SLX tri bike. The Canyon guide prescribes a large but I currently use a Trek Emonda Road Bike with clip on aero bars, size 62. I’m 76.25“ tall with inseam 36.25”. Also have quite long arms. I don’t feel as though I want a super agressive set-up on the new bike which is what my LBS resource would be the case if I got a L. Should I go with an XL? Apologies if unlike the post below I am missing too much information.

Thank you for your help!

drewkuz,
Thanks for writing in, you've given some good details. I have answer for you but I'd like to frame them up first - please bear with me.

I'm a fit first kinda guy and I'd like every single person in the bike biz to be fit first. You're going to have fit coordinates that are either correct (comfy, powerful, lowish drag) or you're going to have fit coordinates that are incorrect (uncomfortable, less than optimal power, a bit more drag). The former is gold. The latter means the bike ends up haning on a hook in the garage, gathering unridden dust as you inch closer to a bowling league and an early death. I'm fore a long, acitve life with lots of cycling.

If a position is "too agressive" - and, btw, I take this to mean aerobars are too low - it's not going to be comfortable. So "too agressive" seems to me to be syonymous with wrong.

Based on the info you've given I think your Pad Y near to 685 and your Pad X is roughly 500. You can fit on either the Large or the XL. I want to recomend the XL because I like how the front end confirguration shakes out.

So the prescription is...
Canyon, Speedmax SLX in size XL with a short stem, mid spacer, and *medium extension. If you're USA this is a nice prescription because this is the how the bike comes out of the box. If you're outside the US lemme know as I'd like to detail my recomendation. *I'm worried, due to long arms, that the long extension would be better but, again, the in USA, you cannot spec that at time of ordering.

Get back to me here with questions if/when you have 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next