Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: T100 Singapore l [AgMatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like Plews said on an interview that she doesn't really as their testing showed she was was naturally fairly fat adapted.

I couldn't tell you the interview though. He's on quite a few podcasts it's hard to keep track of
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack has done a commendable job improving over his debut in that role. Some of it is just reps, but you can tell he’s putting in effort beyond that.

That said, it’s all still a package that isn’t dramatically better than what IM has offered—which is a problem for their intention of turning this into a premium broadcast sport.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore l [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race broadcast was great. Grat angles, great balance of commentators. Obvious areas of improvement are getting more back of the race action. On a looped course this shouldn't be hard? Just have one of your camera teams make its way through the field or pause and wait for a pack and follow them for a bit and then pause and wait for the next pack, repeat. I do with the commentators were as fluid and succinct as some of the pro run commentators I've listened to. But it's a long day to be on point for so long.

I appreciated the times Jack Kelly set up questions for the other commentators but he still needs to figure out a way to talk less when doing it. Easier said than done because I realize the river of words is buying time for his brain to figure out what to say.

Still, it was great commentary and production for a somewhat boring race between Lucy and Ash.

Couple comments on race ranger:
Was a new firmware added to these units? Is the PTO just rolling with using it essentially as a beta tester but not relying on it?

When the light goes red does that mean pass or penalty? My assumption is blue is good, but once you're red you need to pass, and the time for backing out is over. Do athletes understand that (assuming thats the case)? Race Ranger shouldn't be seen as a way to maintain the ideal draft but a warning that once your red you must pass not back out. Penalties need to be given on this stuff if the light goes red and you don't pass.

Another note on penalties. Did anyone notice Ash pull a gel from her top and some trash came out at the same time? It wasn't in an aid station. What's the penalty for that?

I suppose the approach of the PTO is to let the athletes race their race and don't let officials get in the way. I can respect that but it's a tough precedent to maintain once they do start penalizing when so many have had a break.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore l [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other thoughts. Jan is not afraid to speak his mind. I love it. I hope he doesn't get canceled for calling people out as gently as he does. I'm glad he says things which could stir the pot a little.

I think this crowd would lose their minds if Jack Kelly said it though.

Question, with athletes not allowed to put a bottle down their top in the run, what do we think about putting ice down there? What if that ice was in the shape of a bottle? Getting out of the hot Singapore water if you had a bottle sized piece of ice waiting in your box and put it in your jersey would that be OK? Cools you down, provides and aero boost and then eventually melts.

How long would it last. 🤔
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Other thoughts. Jan is not afraid to speak his mind. I love it. I hope he doesn't get canceled for calling people out as gently as he does. I'm glad he says things which could stir the pot a little.

Question, with athletes not allowed to put a bottle down their top in the run, what do we think about putting ice down there? What if that ice was in the shape of a bottle? Getting out of the hot Singapore water if you had a bottle sized piece of ice waiting in your box and put it in your jersey would that be OK? Cools you down, provides and aero boost and then eventually melts.

Yeah, he lit into Chelsea when she retired and apparently went straight to her hotel room.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore l [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

Yeah, he lit into Chelsea when she retired and apparently went straight to her hotel room.

I watched this in fast forward mode but caught that part. I am not sure what happened to her, but I am going to disagree with Jan's take. it's ok he said you have to keep battling but we don't know the issue could have been a hard break rub, shifting issue, or illness , or just a serious overheat.

The reason I say battling on is sometime not the best I have seen many battle toward the hospital before the finish line or career ending injures many times and they should have called it and moved on, no glory for the best in the world to overreach on a bad day or circumstances this is not age group glory.

Overall the race was good but I can't believe the run split in Ash vs Lucy I thought she had it for sure off the bike.

Els Visser is a human you cheer for.

ash makes running look fun and easy.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah had the same thoughts when Jan said that the slowmo replay of T2 was unnecessary because it was already slow to begin with.

Didn't see the Miami broadcast, but the slowmo bits sponsored by Sport Singapore was totally useless.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore l [runningeconomy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well not totally useless as you remembered who sponsored them! I certainly didn't.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Jack has done a commendable job improving over his debut in that role. Some of it is just reps, but you can tell he’s putting in effort beyond that.

That said, it’s all still a package that isn’t dramatically better than what IM has offered—which is a problem for their intention of turning this into a premium broadcast sport.
I enjoyed the race coverage and am starting to think that no matter what they do ST'ers will complain. This sport will never be on par with mainstream sports as there is just not enough interest in the races nor the athletes and no amount of money thrown into production will change that. Hell,the people who are supposed to be the sports biggest fans (St'ers) do little more than make a spin-off sport of finding wrongs instead of highlighting the rights in almost everything . Just look how much production has gone into Super League Tri and triathletes in general have lost interest in those races.

I will watch the race tonight happy that they have created this series and excited to watch the top triathletes called around the course by knowledgeable commentators all done at a great venue.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agree. This was the best coverage of long course triathlon I’ve ever seen. Gazillions better than whatever Ironman ever did (that is when you can watch their races on demand).

They did miss the battle for 4th at the end, but apart from that they did show most things that were happening at the middle and back of the pack, showed most events of overtaking another athlete, etc.

Well done PTO. Looking forward to the men’s race.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
100% agree. This was the best coverage of long course triathlon I’ve ever seen. Gazillions better than whatever Ironman ever did (that is when you can watch their races on demand).

They did miss the battle for 4th at the end, but apart from that they did show most things that were happening at the middle and back of the pack, showed most events of overtaking another athlete, etc.

Well done PTO. Looking forward to the men’s race.

Very a propos. XD

ETA: Some (wink) would say "the best race coverage in the history of triathlon".
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Apr 13, 24 21:15
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given I coach 4th and speaking to media staff afterwards they are now aware they were remiss in covering that battle they told me they don’t intend on making a similar mistake today with the mens coverage.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Last edited by: tilburydavis: Apr 13, 24 21:27
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [tilburydavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburydavis wrote:
Given I coach 4th and speaking to media staff afterwards they are now aware they were remiss in covering that battle they told me they don’t intend on making a similar mistake today with the mens coverage.

Congrats on getting 4th. The commentators even missed it. When they saw Lucy B. coming in it wasn't until they changed camera angles that they realized she had been passed.

It also took them ages to comment on India Lee DNFing.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Kelly, brings behind the seen info, analytics, speculation.

For the mid pack coverage. Simple solution, benchmark cc-ski worldcup tv:
- regular timing locations where camera stays and waits to see all meaninfull competition

Such as 40km mark in cycling:
Firt two have passes, now we wait for next ones… how much is time gap now? .. it was on t1 40s… it has been growing, its already 55s.. and we see the, coming.. ok. 2min 50s for gentle.. 2:55 for lee, 2:57 simmonds.. the have lost in 40km over 2minutes… lets see the 6-7th.. there they come..

When you establish a clear timing locations, you are able to give the status for the whole field. This is barely now used in t1, where almost every athlete is shown.. even the last swimmer. But after this the camera follows only the front and you cannot get an idea how things are evolving only with red and green arrows on dashboard.

Speed and hr… speed data would be best to show from the whole lap. Even better would be to show lap times ”lap 3 times: visser 15:21, lcb 15:55, buckingham 15:55 etc” this would again give more speculation for the viewers.

.. where was the timing mat in aussie exit?

—
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funniest is when he asks Jan an irrelevant fanboy question and Jan just ignores him and goes back to commentating the race. Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [buzzsaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They really need to up the penalty calling.
“Stern warnings” when you have Race Ranger is weak
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the 30 sec penalty for Sm they are referring to ? I only picked up past 5;00am :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Sam Long: not having all gear in the box after transition.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam would be crazy not to give Kona a go this year given how he’s performing in the heat. May be the best heat runner in the game right now.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interview with Ali : it isn't clear how serious his injury is.

I hope we see him in South Africa.
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 14, 24 3:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Wow I was wondering if #1 and #4 beat #2 and #2. Apparently it does.

Season long narrative thing starting to kick in.

Did the 30sec penalty kick in for that calculation ?
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 14, 24 3:45
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [buzzsaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzzsaw wrote:
Funniest is when he asks Jan an irrelevant fanboy question and Jan just ignores him and goes back to commentating the race. Lol.

I noticed that repeatedly and died laughing every time. Jan simply ignored it. It was awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Youri needs a season long contract ASAP. Excited to see another Sam/Lionel clash in 3 weeks but I really dk if all this early season racing is going to be beneficial for Sam in the long run. He'll have done 5 races by May 4th & 3 of those in hot/humid conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: T100 Singapore [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
Youri needs a season long contract ASAP. Excited to see another Sam/Lionel clash in 3 weeks but I really dk if all this early season racing is going to be beneficial for Sam in the long run. He'll have done 5 races by May 4th & 3 of those in hot/humid conditions.

Does Youri have a new bike sponsor ? Rare to see Pinarello. Do they even have athletes other than Wurf ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pinarello is also on his suit as a sponsor so I guess the bike is sponsored.

Edit: it's also confirmed on instgram

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4-n949I11g/?igsh=bG0wcmR4ZDQ3NnRk
Last edited by: RichardA: Apr 14, 24 6:34
Quote Reply

Prev Next