Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Sam would have been vilified had he tried to keep it quiet and it was leaked (as it would have) implying he had something to hide

——

I would guess more often than not an “investigation” that results in nothing to see here and/or no evidence of doping never sees the light of day, or we would have never cared if it was leaked. I mean how many “investigations” do we hear of that is leaked to the public? I can’t think of very many. We have no clue how often athletes are actually investigated from tips etc. it may be rare and it may be regular that’s how “quiet” the process is most of time. There’s no point to leak anything because you the athlete don’t have the investigation result to “prove” the haters it was wrong to gossip about said athlete etc. we are all still “waiting” to see if this actually amounts to anything and if it doesn’t we know it was clean- but it’s not because SL says he is clean,but because the investigation confirms he’s clean.

Hell we didn’t even know CC popped until he revealed it, we don’t ever hear of anyone’s negative drug tests after these world class events. We all just move on until the authorities have a positive to report.

I'm inclined to think a potential doper would be pissed because of the heightened testing scrutiny they now face. Would you start your injection protocol if you were looking over your shoulder every day?

I don't know why an innocent person would "out" themselves as being under investigation in such an angry way. I can see him saying professionally that he welcomes the testing but he's been privy to some behind the scenes gossip chain emails and disappointed
at the allegations and happy to demonstrate he's clean.

So there are two possibilities (duh) he's guilty and lashing out. Or he's innocent but deeply unhappy with himself and internalized this negative attention even more and lashed out. There's always a price to be paid for our choices whether we realize it and recognize that price or not, we pay the cost in someway regardless.

People who are innocent and content and happy with themselves don't respond this way.

I hope regardless of the outcome that Sam can learn to love life and be happy with himself.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yourself and the Baysi guy in this thread are getting a bit carried away and in my view, and borderline slandering Sam Laidlow, name calling RvB sr, etc.. I think we can agree that his IG post was a bit of a mess, but it is not evidence that the guy did something wrong. Some of the stuff you have stated is borderline ridiculous: "innocent folks don't do this..etc." Have you ever been wrongly accused of something when you were 24 ?

We don't know if he is guilty or innocent, all we know is that there is an investigation going on and hopefully it is effective at catching any wrongdoing and clearing him if this is an unjustified witchhunt.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think investigations are reasonable, it would also appear that the ITA although a new organization has a mandate and I have no reason to doubt that they are doing reasonable and fair work. I don't think (at least hope) any athlete (including Sam) is not arguing their authority, or mandate or otherwise ability to do the work they set out to do.

The issue here is that RVB sr leaked it. He leaked confidential information about an athlete and investigation.

Where athletes have a right to confidentiality and due process, this in my view compromises that, it opens a window which we don't want or need to be open.

Catching dopers is hard enough, when caught the AD case against them needs to be absolutely bullet proof...from investigation to testing, to chain of custody, to results management and sanction. It needs to, from the start, withstand CAS scrutiny.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems to me that Sam Laidlow has really mismanaged this situation. He's either guilty, in which case his career is over. Or he's squeaky clean, in which case he has shown a clear tendency to break down under pressure and overreact. Either way, it's gonna take him a long time to recover from this, I would not be surprised if his performance levels suffer no matter how this ends. It's lonely at the top - maybe there is something else you learn slowly coming through the Olympic ITU pathway, which many have glossed over.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where athletes have a right to confidentiality and due process, this in my view compromises that, it opens a window which we don't want or need to be open.

--------

I agree there, however imo one leaking it makes it a "rumor" the other leaking it confirms it. Now does SL confirm it if it's not "leaked", my guess is no. So when SL confirms it and goes on the attack, the key issue is that unless he has the confirmation that there is nothing to see here (and yes investigations are completed and said athlete is almost assuredly notified of said investigation), he can't really "win" yet by going on the attack. It then imo only adds "pressure" on himselft that imo was not going to be there but for his own reaction to the "leaked" info.

That's why I thought it made real no sense to confirm/validate the rumor most especially during what we all think is an *active* investigation. He would have already leaked the final summary if the investigation was already completed, almost assuredly; thus "proving" he's clean.

ETA: I'm not saying things should be leaked or outed, I just thought by confirming it at this time when he doesn't have the "evidence" to prove he's actually clean (from the investigation that he confirms), he can't win in the public's eye.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 24, 23 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you know more than what has been posted on this thread, there is nothing to say that RVB Sr. “leaked” confidential information. People are making wild leaps on this thread.

Based on everything I’ve seen, Sam is the one who put this in the public sphere.

I know some like Shambolic have said it would have been leaked anyway, but that is just hypothesis contrary to fact.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
It seems to me that Sam Laidlow has really mismanaged this situation. He's either guilty, in which case his career is over. Or he's squeaky clean, in which case he has shown a clear tendency to break down under pressure and overreact. Either way, it's gonna take him a long time to recover from this, I would not be surprised if his performance levels suffer no matter how this ends. It's lonely at the top - maybe there is something else you learn slowly coming through the Olympic ITU pathway, which many have glossed over.

He is a 24 year old who just realized his dream and got to the top of the triathlon heap.

The rest of us have ZERO clue what it is like being at the top, suddenly becoming a public persona for the entire sport.

Easy for us on the internet to throw rocks at how Sam managed the situation, but none of us has walked a meter in his shoes.

So rather than judge him, why don't we let it all play out. You and I have no idea how his performance is affected by this stress or not. Sam may have over reacted or he may have taken a pro active step (in his mind) knowing that the RVB camp's email trail was going to result in a public leak (heck RVB himself admitted that it got leaked beyond the first recipient and once three people know a secret we know the story is public domain and no longer a secret)
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [emceemanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
emceemanners wrote:

I personally don't get why so many people think ironman athletes must be on EPO. Oxygen delivery is not a limiter at the full distance. Some short course athletes that do the odd PTO race could well be on gear, but a guy like Sam trains specifically for the full distance - none of that aerobic capacity bullshit matters there.

So EPO only works aiming at an arbitrary definite limiter? Is there no value in using something that even microdosed can provide an average ~4.1% improvement in power output and an average ~4.2% VO2max improvement? You sure? Seems to me like it would be significant.

And since there's several references to HGH here, wait until you find out how easy it is to use HGH undetected even today and how many undetectable secretagogues and hormone-like substances athletes have access to.

And by you I actually mean most of the people here who seem to ignore how prevalent doping is, its potential and how rarely dopers are actually caught (just cross-reference self-admitted anonymous questionnaires with doping convictions).
Last edited by: Thorax: Oct 24, 23 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the "big" names in triathlon take any type of media training? I'd assume after Laidlow's 2nd in Kona some of his bigger sponsors (or his agent even, I assume he has an agent?) would sit him down and do some media training. What to say, what not to say. How do conduct interviews and probably most importantly how to handle criticism and possible doping allegations. This is endurance sport, EVERYONE that does well get accused of doping in some way or another.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ItaloBritt wrote:

He is a 24 year old who just realized his dream and got to the top of the triathlon heap.

The rest of us have ZERO clue what it is like being at the top, suddenly becoming a public persona for the entire sport.

Easy for us on the internet to throw rocks at how Sam managed the situation, but none of us has walked a meter in his shoes.

So rather than judge him, why don't we let it all play out. You and I have no idea how his performance is affected by this stress or not. Sam may have over reacted or he may have taken a pro active step (in his mind) knowing that the RVB camp's email trail was going to result in a public leak (heck RVB himself admitted that it got leaked beyond the first recipient and once three people know a secret we know the story is public domain and no longer a secret)

Thanks for the lecture...
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
Do the "big" names in triathlon take any type of media training? I'd assume after Laidlow's 2nd in Kona some of his bigger sponsors (or his agent even, I assume he has an agent?) would sit him down and do some media training. What to say, what not to say. How do conduct interviews and probably most importantly how to handle criticism and possible doping allegations. This is endurance sport, EVERYONE that does well get accused of doping in some way or another.

Doubt.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Yourself and the Baysi guy in this thread are getting a bit carried away and in my view, and borderline slandering Sam Laidlow, name calling RvB sr, etc.. I think we can agree that his IG post was a bit of a mess, but it is not evidence that the guy did something wrong. Some of the stuff you have stated is borderline ridiculous: "innocent folks don't do this..etc." Have you ever been wrongly accused of something when you were 24 ?

We don't know if he is guilty or innocent, all we know is that there is an investigation going on and hopefully it is effective at catching any wrongdoing and clearing him if this is an unjustified witchhunt.

Please read what I said, not what you think I said. I said Rvbsr may well be a jerk, but I don't think he is merely based on what's written. Ie, people accusing him of being a bad guy based on this stuff have no evidence in his behavior to draw that conclusion.

I never said people who aren't innocent don't do this. I said people who are innocent and happy withemselves and grounded, etc don't lash out like this. Clearly, if he's innocent he's got some serious inner turmoil. See, you've accused me of borderline slander and I'm not upset because the accusation is false and I'm content with myself internally and have no inclination to lash out. Obviously the pressure of this thread is non existent and the pressure of Sam's life is huge, which is why I ended my previous comment saying whatever happens with the investigation or Sam's professional life I hope he can truly be comfortable in his skin and not just have to present it as a front for media. He actually strikes me in multiple instances as someone not happy with himself. Making rhymes about Sam Longs abilities, then defending his hoala swim as fair game (oceans are free), and now this. On the flip side, I see his spoken media desire to build others up now that he's a champion as a really positive trait and I truly hope he just follows that ethos. Even if it's a fake it until you make it thing, he's going to eventually embody that positivity if he turns to it first out of duty/desire and eventually it will be instinct as who he's become.

The current instinct he faces under pressure seems to be to defend and lash out. Obviously that's common in all of us. We all struggle over our lifetimes to choose to be the better man.

This episode is mingled with the possibility of some or many of these pros facing the moral hazard and competitive pressure that at least seems like exists for them all to use hormones and drugs to cheat. There's always a cost to that. There's also always a cost to negativity if innocent.

Sam's intentional media has shown him desiring to be humble and service minded. His reflexive media had shown him to respond aggressively and defensively. I think he knows what he ought to do. I hope he keeps doing it.
Last edited by: Lurker4: Oct 24, 23 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
We only know there is an ITA investigation going on because Laidlow announced its actualité.
I too hope all the investigations they have the resources to pursue are effective and well conducted. I hope other athletes and 'players' will be proactive in helping them and that communications will remain confidential.
I think we will not find out the outcome of any investigation, unless it's adverse.
No subject of an investigation is going to be 'cleared': there's either going to be an adverse finding; or no finding.
This is not a witch hunt: an anti-doping agency is doing what we want them to do: deter doping by investigating and when there has been doping, discovering it with sufficient evidential and due process rigour to nail the dope.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
This is not a witch hunt:

Welllllll except RVBsr’s post here actually made it seem like it was kind of. He sent an email to a professional triathlete documenting testimonials on SL. Which means he went out and effectively surveyed people to gather thei opinions, observations and suppositions. He then shared those in a “confidential” email to a pro which was then shared with SL. The email wasn’t sent to the ITA nor was it an anonymous tip.

His whole post opens a whole lotta questions that don’t seem to have been answered:

Why was he doing his own independent investigation?

Why was it sent to a fellow pro and not to the ITA?

Why did the pro share with a “friend”?

Why did that friend feel it was appropriate to share with SL?

By conducting his own investigation he was implying to those people he “questioned” that SL is a cheat and guilty.

I’m not a SL fan but damn this sure seemed like RvBsr was way out of bounds and SL was justified in going public. There is no confidentiality in a parent of a pro investigation.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

Please read what I said, not what you think I said. I said Rvbsr may well be a jerk, but I don't think he is merely based on what's written. Ie, people accusing him of being a bad guy based on this stuff have no evidence in his behavior to draw that conclusion.

I never said people who aren't innocent don't do this. I said people who are innocent and happy withemselves and grounded, etc don't lash out like this. Clearly, if he's innocent he's got some serious inner turmoil. See, you've accused me of borderline slander and I'm not upset because the accusation is false and I'm content with myself internally and have no inclination to lash out. Obviously the pressure of this thread is non existent and the pressure of Sam's life is huge, which is why I ended my previous comment saying whatever happens with the investigation or Sam's professional life I hope he can truly be comfortable in his skin and not just have to present it as a front for media. He actually strikes me in multiple instances as someone not happy with himself. Making rhymes about Sam Longs abilities, then defending his hoala swim as fair game (oceans are free), and now this. On the flip side, I see his spoken media desire to build others up now that he's a champion as a really positive trait and I truly hope he just follows that ethos. Even if it's a fake it until you make it thing, he's going to eventually embody that positivity if he turns to it first out of duty/desire and eventually it will be instinct as who he's become.

The current instinct he faces under pressure seems to be to defend and lash out. Obviously that's common in all of us. We all struggle over our lifetimes to choose to be the better man.

This episode is mingled with the possibility of some or many of these pros facing the moral hazard and competitive pressure that at least seems like exists for them all to use hormones and drugs to cheat. There's always a cost to that. There's also always a cost to negativity if innocent.

Sam's intentional media has shown him desiring to be humble and service minded. His reflexive media had shown him to respond aggressively and defensively. I think he knows what he ought to do. I hope he keeps doing it.

LOL your psychological break down of SL makes no sense to me... Maybe you need to be tested for drugs?

He seems to me to be a character un the sport and happy in his life. He's just been crowned king, he's 5min in living his dream and all the accolades that go with it and jealous parents and the like because their son is a lesser athlete are trying to taint and rob the glory he worked so hard for. I think that is what he has pretty much stated all along. If I had done it clean I would lash out and slander all the people that were dragging me down too, then let the investigation prove my innocence.

Why do people harp on about the Hoala swim and his character too? Been to Kona 4 times and done it 4 times for free as well. Mind you I was way back so pulled off and didn't got through the chute like the 100's doing it for free also but then again I wasn't going to win it. I think it is funny what he did himself and enforces his ratbag character. I'm an Aussie so he reminds me of Cam Wurf and how the US contingent don't get his larakin (google that if you like) nature. I'm sure whoever truly won got their winner medallion and time topping the result sheet.

As mentioned earlier until you've walked in his shoes leave the character assessment alone because I understand what he has done and seems reasonable and calculated to me...
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [marquette42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marquette42 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

Welllllll except RVBsr’s post here actually made it seem like it was kind of. He sent an email to a professional triathlete documenting testimonials on SL. Which means he went out and effectively surveyed people to gather thei opinions, observations and suppositions. He then shared those in a “confidential” email to a pro which was then shared with SL. The email wasn’t sent to the ITA nor was it an anonymous tip.

His whole post opens a whole lotta questions that don’t seem to have been answered:

By conducting his own investigation he was implying to those people he “questioned” that SL is a cheat and guilty.

I’m not a SL fan but damn this sure seemed like RvBsr was way out of bounds and SL was justified in going public. There is no confidentiality in a parent of a pro investigation.

Summarises well the questions I too have. And to me explains Sam's reaction, although I think in hindsight he regrets reacting this way. Giving it another couple of days and cooler heads may have prevailed. Asking his entourage for assistance on the matter would also have been wiser. But he's young and this reaction didn't surprise me, nor I think it implies all the things others have tried to imply from it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:

Summarises well the questions I too have. And to me explains Sam's reaction, although I think in hindsight he regrets reacting this way. Giving it another couple of days and cooler heads may have prevailed. Asking his entourage for assistance on the matter would also have been wiser. But he's young and this reaction didn't surprise me, nor I think it implies all the things others have tried to imply from it.

I am not at all surprised that Sam acted the way he did given his age and the mud-slinging that came his way in the last year or so. The guy had people questioning his Kona race in 2022,he got shit for his Rap song and subsequent "bitch fight" with Sam Long at the Collins Cup. He got A LOT of shit and smart ass comments and innuendos after he pulled out of the PTO Ibiza race. People were full on trolling him for having to "move house" and so close to the Chartier doping scandal,many started,not so subtly, saying he pulled out to avoid a drug test. Now he wins in Nice,becomes World Champ making a dream come true and the father of the guy who came 4th throws shade at him. Add all that up and holy shit I am surprised he didn't go into full crazy guy meltdown.
If he doped he will get caught and if he didn't people will still think he did. The guy can't win either way.

Hehehe....

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Oct 24, 23 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol imagine the mental breakdown Sam Long would have if he was in Laidlows position!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Lol imagine the mental breakdown Sam Long would have if he was in Laidlows position!!
Yeah,that would be something although Sam Long has changed and grown up a lot this year (for obvious reasons)

On that topic,people have dismissed the age/maturity thing here because these guys are not your normal 20 somethings but that video is a classic example of age and experience bringing maturity. Look at how Lionel deals with Laidlow and his Rap song compared to Sam Long looking like he is about to lose his shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Diabolo wrote:

I am not at all surprised that Sam acted the way he did given his age and the mud-slinging that came his way in the last year or so. The guy had people questioning his Kona race in 2022,he got shit for his Rap song and subsequent "bitch fight" with Sam Long at the Collins Cup. He got A LOT of shit and smart ass comments and innuendos after he pulled out of the PTO Ibiza race. People were full on trolling him for having to "move house" and so close to the Chartier doping scandal,many started,not so subtly, saying he pulled out to avoid a drug test. Now he wins in Nice,becomes World Champ making a dream come true and the father of the guy who came 4th throws shade at him. Add all that up and holy shit I am surprised he didn't go into full crazy guy meltdown.
If he doped he will get caught and if he didn't people will still think he did. The guy can't win either way.

Hehehe....
Hurrah I knew you would get it. Seems not many people do...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marquette42 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

So the person that interrogated the French athletes for 90 minutes wasn’t an ITA investigator but Rudy’s dad??
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Unless you know more than what has been posted on this thread, there is nothing to say that RVB Sr. “leaked” confidential information. People are making wild leaps on this thread.

Based on everything I’ve seen, Sam is the one who put this in the public sphere.

I know some like Shambolic have said it would have been leaked anyway, but that is just hypothesis contrary to fact.

My personal view is that if you have suspicions you notify the authorities and then keep your mouth shut. Then the ITA or other is allowed to conduct their investigation unencumbered. You don't keep your mouth shut out of fear or "omerta" You keep it shut so the qualified experts, people who are hopefully better at this stuff than us, can assess and move forward....or not.

Choosing to send emails to other pros, before an investigation has started (maybe? don't know) undermines the authority and transparency of the testing body. It creates rumors, speculation and contributes to narratives which hurt the AD process.....which as I said above doesn't help, everything needs to be bullet proof.

Not speaking to Sam specifically, but it also gives an athlete a "heads up" or a warning which otherwise may not be warranted if the investigation is just starting/ongoing.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but my concern is about compromised process not Sam or RVB sr.

2c
Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Oct 24, 23 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
marquette42 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

So the person that interrogated the French athletes for 90 minutes wasn’t an ITA investigator but Rudy’s dad??

Are you saying the investigator from the ITA shared their notes on a confidential investigation with RvBsr and he was recapping it for the pro athlete? Or are you saying he reached out to everyone who he thought may be contacted by the ITA and interviewed all of them so he could recap and share with the mystery pro?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marquette42 wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
marquette42 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:

Are you saying the investigator from the ITA shared their notes on a confidential investigation with RvBsr and he was recapping it for the pro athlete? Or are you saying he reached out to everyone who he thought may be contacted by the ITA and interviewed all of them so he could recap and share with the mystery pro?

Are you asking me? I was asking you.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you need to go read RVBsr’s post earlier in this thread. Here’s an excerpt:

In reference to my PRIVATE email which was sent to only 1 recipient, a Pro whom I have known for many years, and over there, by inadvertence, mistake, negligence, malevolence (which I don't want to believe at this point)-hard to know the truth- a third person saw the mail, which, I repeat, was Confidential, not addressed to that person, and decided to forward it to Laidlow, apparently because they have sponsors connections. On my side, I see this as an incredible coincidence. Fate? It should never have happened. My private email was not meant to be public. It's like if someone intercepted or opened 1 of the thousands of letters or emails that All of you in this Forum are writing every week, and shared it in Public. Would you be happy? Clearly not. Is it right? Also not. My email contains testimonies from many people, and personal informations and opinions who are my business only. And, as with many other emails, the recipient answers back and so on. I have been gathering some infos only since September 2023 when they started to pour in from different directions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next