Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation
Quote | Reply
Anyone see Sam's Instagram post today? Looks like Rudy Von Berg's parents have accused him of doping and an investigation opened. Pretty weak from the VB's

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cynw_GgNIoO/

Just for clarity, this is in no way suggesting Sam doped - I am a converted fan (didnt like his arrogance to start with) and I believe his performance at Nice was one of the best I've seen since being involved in triathlon!
Last edited by: rrheisler: Oct 20, 23 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [Smiler15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw that - also he refers to a ā€˜Danielā€™ ā€¦. Bakkegard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smiler15 wrote:
Anyone see Sam's Instagram post today? Looks like Rudy Von Berg's parents have accused him of doping and an investigation opened. Pretty weak from the VB's

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cynw_GgNIoO/

Just for clarity, this is in no way suggesting Sam doped - I am a converted fan (didnt like his arrogance to start with) and I believe his performance at Nice was one of the best I've seen since being involved in triathlon!

I just saw that post and came to ST hoping that someone can explain exactly what is going on.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, that is why I came here! I was hoping someone might have more details!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others, I read it and came here for details. This is BIG!! He's firing back at Rudy Von Berg, Clement Mignon and possibly Baekgard?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, our front page story at the moment, which is mostly just the IG story at this point: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...estigation_8828.html

We've reached out to a few folks named, as well as the ITA.

To summarize a couple of things -- one, the ITA will open investigations off of tips it receives. This is frankly how the Chartier investigation started. Two, we have *zero* indication that there is actually an anti-doping violation, just that an investigation is ongoing. Reminder that unless you have first-hand proof of the matter, we DO NOT proclaim people to have doped unless they are found to have an anti-doping violation.

But basically -- yes, there's an investigation. No, we don't have results. Yes, Laidlow went full scorched earth.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love what the guy has done, but isn't going on the attack a page out of that cycling guys playbook?

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [Smiler15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best defense is going on the offense. Sounds very Lance ish....

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is big! Is anyone able to translate the french part of his post?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ā€œFor the people that don't believe in triathlon, the cynics and the skeptics, I'm sorry for you, I'm sorry you can't dream big."

I like Sam. Here's hoping the outcome is not any kind of violation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

I was surprised he didn't close out with "I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles"

Not a good look and not a good way to handle this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure you needed to write ā€œ This is frankly how the Chartier investigation started.ā€

You are inferring the same ultimate outcomeā€¦otherwise why mention it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an example of ITA investigations can be started using recent events, because had I not included that line I'm sure we'd eventually need to cite an example.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
stevej wrote:

I mean maybe so but this also sounds a little Mandelbaumish on the part of the Von Bergs.

If what Sam said is true and this is personal and targeted, I can understand being very pissed off though perhaps not the way I'd go about dealing with this. I'll sit on the sidelines until we know more.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow doco [Passmore007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Passmore007 wrote:
This is big! Is anyone able to translate the french part of his post?

This, not sure I have the whole story.

I will say, from history it seems like investigations are usually started because there is some level of truth to them. I would hope ITA doesn't start an investigation just off rumors. Seems like there are multiple parties involved and have been announced to Laidlow (which seems interesting because he knows who to attack?).

Hope it's not just a witch hunt, if so I'd really feel bad for Laidlow. He was caught up in this when the Chartier announcement happened and he bailed on the race right after. I was just thinking the other day that news had basically gone away.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One would think an investigation wouldn't be started just because somebody made an allegation. Or at least hope so. Best thing to do is just wait for details.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone understood the Clement Mignon/Marjolaine Pierre incident? From what I remember, Sam and Clement stayed in Kona last year. Just couldn't follow the supposed joke about hormones and how Mignon/Pierre got contacted by ITA about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
stevej wrote:

I mean maybe so but this also sounds a little Mandelbaumish on the part of the Von Bergs.

Maybe. But we only know 1 side and a small fraction of that side.

I've heard some things in the background that this was going on. I don't know what's true or what's conjecture. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why jump out in front of this and tell the world he is under investigation, if there is not, in fact, anything to investigate?
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a classic! Love it !

likes_bikes wrote:
ā€œFor the people that don't believe in triathlon, the cynics and the skeptics, I'm sorry for you, I'm sorry you can't dream big."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never been a fan since seeing him bandit the Hoā€™ala. little things like that show your character, at least to me. He seems to be his own PR nightmare and if I were him Iā€™d hire a crisis PR team now.

Would I be happy if this is true? No. Will it bring more legitimacy to our sport, I think so.

As for the people he calls out, good for them. The people named have a better reputation in the sport and would not just be sore losers. Also just because they asked doesnā€™t mean they get it. There has to be some ā€œsmokeā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heā€™s screwed. I do not believe his fellow pro competitors would call him out if there were not some truth to whatever the accusations are.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [Baysically] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baysically wrote:
Why jump out in front of this and tell the world he is under investigation, if there is not, in fact, anything to investigate?

Is it not better to come from him than be leaked by someone in the next few weeks? I'm not sure how I would react to this in his shoes, but I can certainly understand why he would react in the way he has.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow Announces ITA Investigation [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
One would think an investigation wouldn't be started just because somebody made an allegation. Or at least hope so. Best thing to do is just wait for details.

The ITA has limited resources. They aren't spending time and money investigating something because Rudy's parents are mad their son got beat. They have to have something to actually investigate. There were lots of legit questions that weren't answered after the bizarre PTO situation. Hopefully he is cleared, but we need to see how this plays out. Attacking a bunch of other pros doesn't inspire a lot of confidence...
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Oct 20, 23 7:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next