Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [MasteringFlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:
matate99 wrote:

I've never run into that bit of advice but I'm going to give that a go tomorrow when I'm in the pool. Anything else you can say about this for somebody trying it for the first time? I'm pretty sure this is a big issue with my own position.

Thanks for doing this!

Here's a video explaining the exercise in a little more detail.

https://drive.google.com/...moy/view?usp=sharing

You can also try this one.

https://drive.google.com/...o1i/view?usp=sharing

In terms of what you want to feel, you'll feel SUPPORTED when it's done well. The ball exercise is useful for feeling the total support. The elevator exercise is useful for FINDING the support when you swim. As you go from high to low, you should pass through the sweet spot. If you go slow and stay patient, you should find it.

Alternate the two exercises until it clicks.

It's not necessarily a hard skill to learn, but it's pretty foreign to what people have experienced in the past. Stick with it even if it doesn't happen right away.

Some ideas that might help-

LEAN into the water with your body
Try pressing the head, the chest, or both.
When done well, you'll feel pressure on your face and upper body, and lightness in your lower body.

Everyone's a little bit different, and what you have to do can be different for different people.

Let me know how it goes and I can help you troubleshoot, if necessary. Hopefully, it's not:).

Tried the drills today and I’m 100% certain I was too shallow with my head and chest. Not sure how much faster my times got from this change, but I’m thinking at least 5s/100yd!! Thanks for articulating that nugget of info, it really helped me out.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
The below video is what I do (as an adult onset swimmer) and think about all the time: use my back/hip/leg muscles to keep my legs up at the surface. Takes very little energy, and I really believe that this is what good swimmers do whether they realize it. And I swim with a very high head position, due to shoulder issues that prevent me from extending my arms directly overhead with a straight back (picture me in a "cup" position with my lower abdomen being the lowest part of my body).

Thoughts?

First off, if you feel like this is helping you, I would caution you changing much.

My perspective-

I watched the video and the concepts of center of flotation/center of mass, why the legs sink, etc, is all spot on. However, you CAN influence the balance by pressing the chest and head. That's how you affect the situation. It requires much less effort and is much more effective than actively lifting the legs. If you watch one of the first underwater videos of some one swimming in the link, there head is high and their hips are low. Like a see-saw press the head, the hips come up, and the legs follow.

You may have a unique situation. The position you are describing (C-cup) is one where you are creating more drag than you need to. I am not sure exactly what you mean by the positions you can't get into. Clearly, you need to avoid pain and any way you can swim without pain is superior to one where you are in pain.

Have you tried rotating a little bit more? For those with should problems during the recovery, this can sometimes take the pressure off the shoulders, and you won't need to get your arms directly overhead.

If you absolutely cannot get into a straight positon and press the chest because of your shoulders, then what you are doing is probably making the best of a compromised situation. However, for any one else that is NOT in this situation, you are much better off leveraging your lungs than pulling up your legs. This particularly true if you plan on using your legs in a triathlon!

Pure anecdote- I was a pretty good swimmer (relatively speaking) and I have never ever though about consciously lifting my legs. I have never heard another swim coach mention it, and I have never had a swimmer mention it. If you press the chest appropriate, the legs come up automatically.

Let me know what you think about that, and how it relates to your specific situation.

http://www.masteringflow.info
http://www.youtube.com/@masteringflow
http://www.andrewsheaffcoaching.com/...freestyle-fast-today
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AS88 wrote:
Hi. I have 3 questions based on the video (1.16/100m, scm):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEc_y-gHNG4

1) Should I breathe to the left or to the right from your coaching perspective?

2) How often should I implement breathing to the wrong side?

3) What should be my technical focus based on the video?

Background: started swimming at 28/29 (2016/2017), Had a break due to injury November 2017-april 2018 and due to covid September 2020 - august 2021 (pool closed). Had a pb of 10x50m @ 1.00 averaging 45sec and 1.06-1.08-1.05 in my ironman swims until august 2019. Worked a year with a tri coach and was able to break 30sec for 50m (scm) and go 30.0 (LCM). I have always preferred breathing to the left but after the covid break it has started to feel good breathing to the right.

I feel that the recovery with my right arm gets somewhat tight when I breath to the left. And the breathing drill you prescribed to someone else probably applies to me as well

1) I would breathe to the right. That rhythm looked a lot smoother, a lot more fluid, and a lot more natural. The breath timing was better.

2) I think it's useful to do occasionally. Maybe 10-20% (warm up/warm down counts toward this). Will it improve your performance breathing to both sides? Probably not. However, it MIGHT keep you a little bit healthier by getting range of motion through both sides of the neck. I would suggest you almost ALWAYS race breathing.

3) From THIS angle, I don't see anything particularly problematic. It looks like you're moving pretty well with each stroke, and as I said above, the rhythm is pretty good. You might be able to keep the head a little lower to get the hips up. However, I am not entirely sure because I can't be certain from this angle. I would give that a shot and see if it helps. (See 5 for more about what to do). If you haven't been doing so, keep track of your stroke counts AND your times in training. Try to be consistent with BOTH and bring both down over time. At your level, that can be just as effective as working on specific skills. Sooner or later, you'll start to figure out the little tricks to improve both, but only if you're paying attention to what they are.

4) When you breathe to the left, the rhythm of the stroke looks more forced, and that could explain the fatigue you are experiencing. The head is moving around a little bit more, and it's a little late. The Paddle Cap Drill should help a bit.

5) If you can legit go 30.0 LCM, you have enough skill and speed to be a good triathlon swimmer. That's pretty fast and most of your competitors will not have that kind of speed. That's VERY good considering you when you started swimming. At this point, it's more about training and learning how to maintain your speed. Continued skill work will help (it always will). Training will PROBABLY help more.

Let me know how that sounds, and if it makes sense based upon what you're experiencing.

Andrew

Last edited by: MasteringFlow: Jan 15, 22 15:44
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:

Tried the drills today and I’m 100% certain I was too shallow with my head and chest. Not sure how much faster my times got from this change, but I’m thinking at least 5s/100yd!! Thanks for articulating that nugget of info, it really helped me out.

That's AWESOME. Simple changes like that can make a big difference. 5s/100yard is HUGE.

When you find the right problems to improve with technique, the boost in speed will always be faster and more dramatic than what you can achieve with training. The slower you are, the more this is true.

CONGRATS!

Now, make sure you consistently practice and train it so you can do it when you get tired:)

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 30.0 LCM wasn't legit (My friend started the clock when I jumped from the block, he didnt start me). And it was before the covid break. I can't get the same speed on my arms now (at least not yet) but will hopefully get there again with time. But yes, I was very satisfied with that since both my dolphin kicks and my starting skills off the blocks are terrible.

I always keep track of times but I rarely do a stroke count. I have a lot of technical noise in my head but will try to start counting. Will a tempo trainer be of any help to make sure I do not slow down/increase my stroke rate?

If I understand you correctly I will:

Breathe to the right all the time, except for 10-20% (part of warm ups and cool downs mostly), try the paddle drill (especially on my left) and see if that kind of breathing (i.e holding my head down) will help even when breathing on my right side. Focus will be on both training and technique but the former will probably yield the biggest result.

Your comment regarding maintaining speed is interesting. Definitely something I will need to consider as I have noted that my first length always is faster than the rest. My push off is probably better, which gives a higher starting speed. Hmm.

I will try to get some footage from underwater and the front too. This was really helpful. Thanks a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:
klehner wrote:
The below video is what I do (as an adult onset swimmer) and think about all the time: use my back/hip/leg muscles to keep my legs up at the surface. Takes very little energy, and I really believe that this is what good swimmers do whether they realize it. And I swim with a very high head position, due to shoulder issues that prevent me from extending my arms directly overhead with a straight back (picture me in a "cup" position with my lower abdomen being the lowest part of my body).

Thoughts?

First off, if you feel like this is helping you, I would caution you changing much.

My perspective-

I watched the video and the concepts of center of flotation/center of mass, why the legs sink, etc, is all spot on. However, you CAN influence the balance by pressing the chest and head. That's how you affect the situation. It requires much less effort and is much more effective than actively lifting the legs. If you watch one of the first underwater videos of some one swimming in the link, there head is high and their hips are low. Like a see-saw press the head, the hips come up, and the legs follow.

You may have a unique situation. The position you are describing (C-cup) is one where you are creating more drag than you need to. I am not sure exactly what you mean by the positions you can't get into. Clearly, you need to avoid pain and any way you can swim without pain is superior to one where you are in pain.

Have you tried rotating a little bit more? For those with should problems during the recovery, this can sometimes take the pressure off the shoulders, and you won't need to get your arms directly overhead.

If you absolutely cannot get into a straight positon and press the chest because of your shoulders, then what you are doing is probably making the best of a compromised situation. However, for any one else that is NOT in this situation, you are much better off leveraging your lungs than pulling up your legs. This particularly true if you plan on using your legs in a triathlon!

Pure anecdote- I was a pretty good swimmer (relatively speaking) and I have never ever though about consciously lifting my legs. I have never heard another swim coach mention it, and I have never had a swimmer mention it. If you press the chest appropriate, the legs come up automatically.

Let me know what you think about that, and how it relates to your specific situation.
The effort to keep my body horizontal by using these muscles is minuscule: I can do it all day in the pool.

I submit (and I've argued this here many times) that physics says that if you drop your head without any external force being applied, your legs will also drop (conservation of angular momentum). If by dropping your head your legs rose, you'd end up spinning in a circle head-over-heels. That doesn't happen, right? If you raise your head *without pushing down on the water to do so* your legs will also rise (again, conservation of angular momentum). You raise your head by using your muscles, not by pushing down on the water.

My situation is likely unique. If I stand with my back to a wall and press my heels, butt, and shoulders to the wall and raise my arms overhead, my hands are not within a foot of the wall. Thus, if I want my arms to be streamlined in the water in this position, I need to drop my hips enough to effect a horizontal position with my arms. Using my back/hip/leg muscles to pull my legs up makes this happen.

When you "press the chest," what exactly are you "pressing" against? What muscles are you using to do this, and in what way?

(by the way, I think that your guidance in this thread is excellent!)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:

The short answer is if you can't swim 100 yards/meters in less than 1:20 (and your threshold speed is necessarily slower than that). Of course, this isn't a hard and fast rule and it depends on age.

If you can't achieve those speeds, your problem is a technical one, not a fitness one. All the fitness training in the world will only result in marginal improvement, whereas improving your skills can result in substantial improvements.

This is such an interesting statement. I don't know if I should be extremely discouraged, or extremely hopeful.

I've been swimming for about 6 months now, and I still can't swim even a 100 under 1:20, even when I feel like I'm giving a max effort. I've recently been getting better at 8-10x100 @ 1:50 coming in on 1:35-1:40 with masters swim, but that's essentially a max effort by the end, and I'm slowing down a bit, too (1:40-1:45 by last reps).

I've been trying to move more powerfully through the pull and be more streamlined in the recovery phase with a bit more of a glide, but I'm at a loss as to how I could take my current fitness and go 15 secs/100 faster.

Is it simply a matter of time and work? I've raced bikes for 15 years, so of course someone riding for a year asking how they can put out similar power typically results in a response of doing many more miles and years of training, but that's aerobically based and not really that technique-dominated.

The idea that I'm that draggy in the water makes me think of sitting bolt upright on a bike with a parachute; something I'd never want to knowingly do in training or racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update to my earlier post:

Wow, the head thing helped a lot. Thanks man! I am not wobbling up and down as much and it felt like there was no resistance at all compared to what I am used to. 1.24/100m with an easy 2-beat felt really good and 1.14/100m with a 4-beat was taxing, but not like it normally is. Very curious to see how long it will take to get used to breathing like that.

Fun fact: I stood bent in front of a mirror (I am quite a slow learner) for almost 20 minutes (yes, I had to take breaks) before I understood how to move the body to breathe without lifting my head. Definitely worth it!

Also: how long should you stay on the back (after having pushed off the wall) until you put one foot behind the other and turn over on your belly? I have been thinking about your statement regarding maintaining speed and I think my main problem is that I dont generate enough speed out from each turn.
Last edited by: AS88: Jan 16, 22 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cielo wrote:
MasteringFlow wrote:

The short answer is if you can't swim 100 yards/meters in less than 1:20 (and your threshold speed is necessarily slower than that). Of course, this isn't a hard and fast rule and it depends on age.

If you can't achieve those speeds, your problem is a technical one, not a fitness one. All the fitness training in the world will only result in marginal improvement, whereas improving your skills can result in substantial improvements.

This is such an interesting statement. I don't know if I should be extremely discouraged, or extremely hopeful.

I've been swimming for about 6 months now, and I still can't swim even a 100 under 1:20, even when I feel like I'm giving a max effort. I've recently been getting better at 8-10x100 @ 1:50 coming in on 1:35-1:40 with masters swim, but that's essentially a max effort by the end, and I'm slowing down a bit, too (1:40-1:45 by last reps).

I've been trying to move more powerfully through the pull and be more streamlined in the recovery phase with a bit more of a glide, but I'm at a loss as to how I could take my current fitness and go 15 secs/100 faster.

Is it simply a matter of time and work? I've raced bikes for 15 years, so of course someone riding for a year asking how they can put out similar power typically results in a response of doing many more miles and years of training, but that's aerobically based and not really that technique-dominated.

The idea that I'm that draggy in the water makes me think of sitting bolt upright on a bike with a parachute; something I'd never want to knowingly do in training or racing.

I'd take that 1:20 for 100 as 'all technique' with a massive grain of salt.

If it really were just all technique, 80 year olds with no arthritis limiters would still be dominating masters swims everywhere, as 1:20/100 over distance usually puts you in the front groups. Obviously, this is not the case.

These kind of statements are common from people with a lot of natural gifts. If you jumped in the pool, and were swimming 1:20s pretty much in a few months, of course you'd think everyone could do it. Similarly, there are more than a few kids who start x-country running, and start dropping sub 16:30 5ks in less than a year - for them, they would say that anything slower than 20:00/5k pace is a joke and you should probably quit running altogether. In swimming, it's has the extra dimension of being able to blame both technique and fitness for not being fast, but technique gets given an outsized role by these fast swimmers.

Here's another perspective if it really was ALL technique. Find any of these effortless 1:20/100 all day type swimmers. Make them use terrible technique on purpose in some way to mess up their form. Like swim with one arm literally wrapped around their neck the entire time. Or swim doggy style full dropped elbows. Or put a full dress on them to make megadrag. They will STILL swim faster than 75-90% of all triathletes, and likely faster than 1:35/100. For sure, they will NOT be doing 2:00/100 like a beginner. The fitness component in swimming is absolutely huge, and for a non elite AG triathlete with wetsuits in OWS, I could see how one could argue it might be more important than technique after a beginner level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AS88 wrote:
The 30.0 LCM wasn't legit (My friend started the clock when I jumped from the block, he didnt start me). And it was before the covid break. I can't get the same speed on my arms now (at least not yet) but will hopefully get there again with time. But yes, I was very satisfied with that since both my dolphin kicks and my starting skills off the blocks are terrible.

I always keep track of times but I rarely do a stroke count. I have a lot of technical noise in my head but will try to start counting. Will a tempo trainer be of any help to make sure I do not slow down/increase my stroke rate?

If I understand you correctly I will:

Breathe to the right all the time, except for 10-20% (part of warm ups and cool downs mostly), try the paddle drill (especially on my left) and see if that kind of breathing (i.e holding my head down) will help even when breathing on my right side. Focus will be on both training and technique but the former will probably yield the biggest result.

Your comment regarding maintaining speed is interesting. Definitely something I will need to consider as I have noted that my first length always is faster than the rest. My push off is probably better, which gives a higher starting speed. Hmm.

I will try to get some footage from underwater and the front too. This was really helpful. Thanks a lot.

With the speed, if you've reached that level once, you'll be able to do it again.

Technical noise- pick ONE THING and work on it. Ignore EVERYTHING else. You can shift your focus with a practice session, but one thing at a time. Don't worry about the stroke count, just pay attention to your times as well (which you're probably already doing). If your times are staying pretty steady, the stroke rate is fine. If your times get a lot slower, then the stroke rate did go down. You can always tell what's happening with stroke count AND time. If those are both where you want them, then stroke rate is fine.

You have understood me correctly!

What I meant by maintaining speed is that you're top speed (~30s LCM) is much better than other swimmers that are swimming much faster Ironman times than you are. So SPEED is not your problem, but ENDURANCE if you want to improve your Ironman swim times. Does that make senses

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

klehner-

I'm going to quote line by line in BOLD to answer your questions

The effort to keep my body horizontal by using these muscles is minuscule: I can do it all day in the pool.

If you feel like you are having success, that is great. My only point is that this is not the strategy that the best swimmers are using. While it may be an effective strategy for you at your current level of performance, it may be preventing you from achieving higher levels of performance.

I submit (and I've argued this here many times) that physics says that if you drop your head without any external force being applied, your legs will also drop (conservation of angular momentum). If by dropping your head your legs rose, you'd end up spinning in a circle head-over-heels. That doesn't happen, right?

It doesn't happen because when you push down with the head the lungs push BACK. They are buoyant and don't want to be submerged. The more you push the more they push back.

Watch this video to see it happen in action.

https://drive.google.com/...XZz/view?usp=sharing

If you raise your head *without pushing down on the water to do so* your legs will also rise (again, conservation of angular momentum). You raise your head by using your muscles, not by pushing down on the water.

You highlighted the key caveat that I have underlined. The problem is that you can't do this. If one side of the seesaw goes up (the head) the other will go down (the hips and legs). You can't prevent it. You can compensate to some degree by arching the back. This comes at a cost as you are creating a poorly streamlined vessel.

My situation is likely unique. If I stand with my back to a wall and press my heels, butt, and shoulders to the wall and raise my arms overhead, my hands are not within a foot of the wall. Thus, if I want my arms to be streamlined in the water in this position, I need to drop my hips enough to effect a horizontal position with my arms. Using my back/hip/leg muscles to pull my legs up makes this happen.

My point is that while this strategy may 'work' for a given situation, it is not an optimal one, and I would caution others from implementing it unless they HAVE to. You may be one of those people. I don't feel that it is common.

It's hard to give recommendations without seeing it, but you might be better off not trying to keep the arms level at the surface. Let them drop a bit. That slight loss in propulsion might be worth the improved alignment in the water.

When you "press the chest," what exactly are you "pressing" against? What muscles are you using to do this, and in what way?

You are pressing against your lungs, which are buoyant and do not want to be submerged. Hold a kick board underwater. Push it down further. It resist you. That's what you are doing.

As far as leaning, face a wall then take a couple half steps back. Then lean into the wall. You should feel like you'd fall over if the wall disappeared. You're going to create that feeling into the buoyancy of the lungs.

You need to FEEL it. Try this exercise to feel the support of your lungs. Then practice 'leaning into the buoyancy'. It's not a muscular action. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

https://drive.google.com/...moy/view?usp=sharing

(by the way, I think that your guidance in this thread is excellent!)

Thank you!

This is a great example of how to find individual strategies for effective movement when the situation isn't perfect, and how to accommodate general principles to specific situations.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cielo wrote:

1. You should be hopeful. You can improve skills more than you can improve your physiology. Of course, it will require a change in approach and that can be challenging.

2. If you have only been swimming 6 months, those are solid speeds. There are individuals swimming much longer that can't do that. Stay focused on your progress as much as where you want to be.

3. Even if you're focused on skills, you still have to accumulate a lot of swimming. Physical factors are still at play. AND just like getting good at piano, even if you KNOW what to do, it still takes a lot of practice to actually get better at DOING it.

Just like you can't watch a video on YouTube and instantly play an instrument better, you can't do it in the pool. Yet everyone seems to think it's possible. You still have to work at it, even if you know what to do.

4. The bike analogy is perfect. The VAST majority of novice swimmers (triathlon or otherwise) are swimming like they are riding a bike while sitting up with a parachute on. The skill is learning how to take the parachute off!

5. So yes, it IS a matter of time and work, BUT that work needs to ruthlessly focused on improving the skills that help you take off the parachute. Even if you are working on the right skills with the right exercises in the right way, it will still take TIME and WORK. There are better ways of improving, but there are no real short cuts.

Skills are critical. At the same time, the way everyone thinks skills are acquired is wrong (watch a YouTube+do a couple drills = swim like a god). Skill development is a lot of WORK

Let me know if that makes sense. I hope it helps!

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AS88 wrote:
Update to my earlier post:

Wow, the head thing helped a lot. Thanks man! I am not wobbling up and down as much and it felt like there was no resistance at all compared to what I am used to. 1.24/100m with an easy 2-beat felt really good and 1.14/100m with a 4-beat was taxing, but not like it normally is. Very curious to see how long it will take to get used to breathing like that.

Fun fact: I stood bent in front of a mirror (I am quite a slow learner) for almost 20 minutes (yes, I had to take breaks) before I understood how to move the body to breathe without lifting my head. Definitely worth it!

Also: how long should you stay on the back (after having pushed off the wall) until you put one foot behind the other and turn over on your belly? I have been thinking about your statement regarding maintaining speed and I think my main problem is that I dont generate enough speed out from each turn.

Glad it was worth it. I would try the paddle cap freestyle drill to make sure you're REALLY not moving your head. It will help you adjust and get used to it.

As for the turns, I would just get onto your stomach as fast as possible. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are aiming to be competitive in a pool.

I was referencing your ability to maintain speed in open water based upon your IM times. There are no walls out there:).

Andrew

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

If it really were just all technique, 80 year olds with no arthritis limiters would still be dominating masters swims everywhere, as 1:20/100 over distance usually puts you in the front groups. Obviously, this is not the case.

These kind of statements are common from people with a lot of natural gifts. If you jumped in the pool, and were swimming 1:20s pretty much in a few months, of course you'd think everyone could do it. Similarly, there are more than a few kids who start x-country running, and start dropping sub 16:30 5ks in less than a year - for them, they would say that anything slower than 20:00/5k pace is a joke and you should probably quit running altogether. In swimming, it's has the extra dimension of being able to blame both technique and fitness for not being fast, but technique gets given an outsized role by these fast swimmers.

Here's another perspective if it really was ALL technique. Find any of these effortless 1:20/100 all day type swimmers. Make them use terrible technique on purpose in some way to mess up their form. Like swim with one arm literally wrapped around their neck the entire time. Or swim doggy style full dropped elbows. Or put a full dress on them to make megadrag. They will STILL swim faster than 75-90% of all triathletes, and likely faster than 1:35/100. For sure, they will NOT be doing 2:00/100 like a beginner. The fitness component in swimming is absolutely huge, and for a non elite AG triathlete with wetsuits in OWS, I could see how one could argue it might be more important than technique after a beginner level.

First of all, my guess is that we are much closely aligned in philosophy than either of our posts would imply.

Second, my comments are based upon watching people of all abilities swim every day for the past 15 years, not my own personal experience.

To be clear, improving technique is NOT 10x25 drill. Improving technique is NOT put your hand 'right here' and you magically drop 15 seconds. If someone takes this approach, they will NOT improve.

Improving technical skill requires a systematic approach to developing skill that requires a lot of accumulated time in the water. You need to swim A LOT. And you need to do so with a focus on skill development. If you are swimming a lot in a focused manner, your fitness WILL IMPROVE as well.

Fitness is obviously important. However, just like you can improve fitness significantly with lower intensity cycling and running, you can do so in the pool. If you are doing skill development right in the water, this is the same type of work. Part of skill development is testing your skills at higher speeds and for longer durations. Wouldn't that develop fitness?

The problem is that the vast majority of novice swimmers, triathletes or otherwise, simply hop in and work hard with ZERO attention to their skill. This will work for a while, then they will plateau FAR sooner than their CURRENT fitness levels would indicate they are capable of performing.

I will exaggerate your example. If you took a former competitive college swimmer, waited until they were 50 and sedentary, added all of the constraints you mentioned, they would STILL beat the shit out of 90% of triathletes. I have seen fat, older swimmers, who clearly have not swum in decades swim pretty fast. Why? Not because they are fit (they're old and overweight), but because they have a fundamental understanding of how to move through water. The vast majority of triathletes never bother to learn this. They just start swimming as hard as they can, just like on land.

You wrote 'I could see how one could argue [fitness] might be more important than technique after a beginner level.' I agree 100% and that is exactly what I told AS88 in this thread. He needs to improve his endurance. His skills and speed are more than sufficient. The problem is that the vast majority are at a beginner level.

Please let me know if you take issue with anything I have written. This is an important topic.

Thanks for the comments.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:

If you raise your head *without pushing down on the water to do so* your legs will also rise (again, conservation of angular momentum). You raise your head by using your muscles, not by pushing down on the water.

You highlighted the key caveat that I have underlined. The problem is that you can't do this. If one side of the seesaw goes up (the head) the other will go down (the hips and legs). You can't prevent it. You can compensate to some degree by arching the back. This comes at a cost as you are creating a poorly streamlined vessel.

I'll just respond to this, as I've mucked up your thread enough.

If an astronaut is in a weightless environment and he pushes his head towards his back, his legs will go towards his back, too (his back will become more and more arched). That's the extreme example of what happens in the pool if you push your head up by using your back/hip/leg muscles: your legs go up, as well. Your see-saw analogy doesn't work here, as neither the swimmer nor the astronaut are moving around a *fixed* pivot point. The buoyancy of your lungs doesn't change the physics: it can change the depth of your body in the water or *maybe* the angle of your body, but the physics say that your legs must go towards your head.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, those sedentary ex-D1 swimmers will NOT be impressive - until they train enough to get enough fitness and feel back.

I've seen it myself - two ex D1 swimmers totally out of the pool for 15 years, no other sports, I asked them to swim during a casual pool party where I met them, and they were barely breaking 1:50/100 because they were so out of swim form. I was actually shocked, because I expected them to at least swim as fast as an average triathlete, but nope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they would have gotten very fast on just a little training in the pool, and probably beat me pretty badly after that, but I'd also argue that these same D1 swimmers were making these sort of advancements early in age. These guys would NEVER have struggled to get faster than the typical triathlete at 1:40-1:50 pace, even as a 7 year old. They just have the natural ability to respond quickly to swim training. There are people with the same tendencies in cycling and running - but in running in particular, the joint and weight impact takes so much more of a toll, whereas in swimming that's a total non issue.

I can def point to ex-sedentary D1 runners who after 15+years can't even run a 9 minute mile for a single mile. But then they got motivated, trained for a 5k, then 10k, and in less than 6 months, they were running sub 20 5ks easily, and after a year, running 1:20 HMs at age 50+ no less. I definitely would NOT point to their awesome running technique for that ability - but I'd 100% put it on their favorable genetics to respond well to run training.

Again, I'm still not disagreeing how important technique is for swimming, and the hard reality that it is a big limiter in most triathletes. But I def would readily argue that given how little triathletes swim, lack of fitness is as much, and likely more of a limiter. Now if you're swimming 25k/wk on a hardcore masters swim and still finishing only 50% AG in your triathlon races - yeah, you got a major technique limiter. But that pretty much never happens.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jan 16, 22 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

Thoughts?

The whole back and forth on this has me completely befuddled. The video indicates that feet sink because the center of mass is closer to the feet than the center of flotation.
Let's say one is in the water with a straight body (i.e., arms overhead, and arms and legs straight and together with arms/hands/head/neck/spine/legs/feet all in the same plane) but the plane of the body is not horizontal (because of the center of mass/flotation thing). How would the center of mass of the body be moved headward or the center of flotation be moved legward by contracting muscles that, if unopposed would raise the legs above the plain of the rest of the body. (I say unopposed because the video does not show the person in a bowed shape with feet above the plane of the rest of the body -- but even if the bowed shape is the intent, it doesn't seem there would be a balancing of flotation and mass unless the person is a Cirque du Soleil acrobat, but in that case good luck swimming like that.)

Also, I think the comments regarding preservation of angular momentum are misplaced. We don't care if we need to spend a little energy to get horizontal (e.g., at the beginning of a tri with a deep water start, we wouldn't sit there after the cannon goes off and try to do the magic floaty thing and wait until we are horizontal before we start swimming). The idea of the video, I think, is to get the centers of balance and mass to occupy the same point so we do not need to spend any energy to stay horizontal.

Anyway, I admit I don't understand what is happening with the magic floaty thing, but I don't think it matters. If indeed the centers of mass and flotation are merging, activating the same muscles while swimming won't do the same trick because when we swim we no longer keep both arms extended overhead -- so our center of mass is further back and thus not merged with floatation.

Now for the "press your chest." I agree with you when you ask what are you pushing against to make your chest go down. I don't think the human body has a set of muscles to press your chest down in the water that wouldn't also involve pressing your feet down. But I don't think the "press your chest" advice is necessarily wrong. I think its allegorical. It might be more literal to say "keep your chest down." The coach doesn't want to say "keep you head down" because that might induce the swimmers to get their head below alignment with the body. So how would swimmers keep their chest down? -- By doing that "feel for the water" thing. If one's chest is higher than mere flotation would have it, there must be a vertical force getting it there. It could be that the stroke has a vertical force component so the swimmer (maybe without knowing it) starts pulling more horizontally. Maybe there is a little kick action that gets the feet up so the plane of the body is not generating lift. But in any case, I think I agree with you that the swimmer is not literally pressing the chest down.

Rant over -- carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew - While he is indeed an AOS, you should know that "klehner" is no beginner. He started swimming at age 26 and by age 29 he was going 51 for the 100 scy. His stroke is all pull with a high turnover rate and very little kick. Thus the stuff you guys are debating is pretty much academic in his case as he doesn't really need any help to go fast. Just thought you should know his background. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
cielo wrote:
MasteringFlow wrote:

You are missing the point. The major component in swimming is reducing drag. The major component in running is p/w. Have you never met "fat swimmer guy" who hasnt been to a pool, nor worked out, for 20 years. but still swims laps areound you? Sure, there is some strength required to move properly in the water, but going sub 1.20scy once doesnt require any fitness. Doing series like 10x100 is a different story but that wasnt what MasteringFlow claimed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Andrew,

Just recently had a shoulder op to repair a tear, remove cysts and move the bicep tendon so swimming "normally" is out for me for a while.

I plan to start heading to the pool to work on my kicking and maybe some one arm drills. What type of session would give me the best bang for my buck, so to speak? Any recommendations on drills/distances etc.

Thanks in advance if you have time to answer this, since it's not strictly technique :)

Edited to say: my kicking has always been diabolical, or at least non-existent, so I am looking at this as an opportunity to fix a longstanding weakness. Also, my injured arm was my "stronger" arm, I always felt my left arm was under powered and often contributed less to my overall stroke, so again a chance to iron out any issues with that arm before I swim properly and begin the catch up to a full stroke.
Last edited by: ianmo80: Jan 17, 22 2:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

I'll just respond to this, as I've mucked up your thread enough.

If an astronaut is in a weightless environment and he pushes his head towards his back, his legs will go towards his back, too (his back will become more and more arched). That's the extreme example of what happens in the pool if you push your head up by using your back/hip/leg muscles: your legs go up, as well. Your see-saw analogy doesn't work here, as neither the swimmer nor the astronaut are moving around a *fixed* pivot point. The buoyancy of your lungs doesn't change the physics: it can change the depth of your body in the water or *maybe* the angle of your body, but the physics say that your legs must go towards your head.

No worries. It is a good discussion.

I agree that if you life the AND arch the back, the legs will come up. My concern is that this comes at the expense of good alignment through the spine, and that this position will create drag. There are likely swimmers that can do this while minimizing the impact of increase drag due their anatomy. It appears that you can do so successfully. As noted by others, you are swimming plenty fast using this strategy. Like I said earlier, you shouldn't change anything you've had success with, and clearly you are having success.

I prefer to teach a different strategy because I feel that it is less likely have negative impacts, and I feel that it is easier to teach.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Actually, those sedentary ex-D1 swimmers will NOT be impressive - until they train enough to get enough fitness and feel back.

I see it every year at alumni swim meets. They come back swim fast relative to what anyone else can do. Not 1-2 people. All of them. Apparently we have had different experiences, which is fine.

These are my basic premises-

1. Fitness and skill are BOTH required if you want to improve significantly.
2. If you swim enough to improve your skills, your fitness will improve. The reverse is not necessarily true.
3. EVERY triathlete understands the importance of fitness. The importance of skill (in terms of what people actually DO rather than say) is much less appreciated.
4. A focus on skill development will improve both fitness and technique. A focus on fitness will likely only improve fitness.

You are free to believe differently.

Again, I'm still not disagreeing how important technique is for swimming, and the hard reality that it is a big limiter in most triathletes. But I def would readily argue that given how little triathletes swim, lack of fitness is as much, and likely more of a limiter. Now if you're swimming 25k/wk on a hardcore masters swim and still finishing only 50% AG in your triathlon races - yeah, you got a major technique limiter. But that pretty much never happens.[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Andrew - While he is indeed an AOS, you should know that "klehner" is no beginner. He started swimming at age 26 and by age 29 he was going 51 for the 100 scy. His stroke is all pull with a high turnover rate and very little kick. Thus the stuff you guys are debating is pretty much academic in his case as he doesn't really need any help to go fast. Just thought you should know his background. :)

Thank you for the information. I prefaced my initial comments by suggesting he continue with whatever he felt was successful, clearly he has been successful and should continue as is:).

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hugoagogo wrote:

The whole back and forth on this has me completely befuddled. The video indicates that feet sink because the center of mass is closer to the feet than the center of flotation.
Let's say one is in the water with a straight body (i.e., arms overhead, and arms and legs straight and together with arms/hands/head/neck/spine/legs/feet all in the same plane) but the plane of the body is not horizontal (because of the center of mass/flotation thing). How would the center of mass of the body be moved headward or the center of flotation be moved legward by contracting muscles that, if unopposed would raise the legs above the plain of the rest of the body. (I say unopposed because the video does not show the person in a bowed shape with feet above the plane of the rest of the body -- but even if the bowed shape is the intent, it doesn't seem there would be a balancing of flotation and mass unless the person is a Cirque du Soleil acrobat, but in that case good luck swimming like that.)

Also, I think the comments regarding preservation of angular momentum are misplaced. We don't care if we need to spend a little energy to get horizontal (e.g., at the beginning of a tri with a deep water start, we wouldn't sit there after the cannon goes off and try to do the magic floaty thing and wait until we are horizontal before we start swimming). The idea of the video, I think, is to get the centers of balance and mass to occupy the same point so we do not need to spend any energy to stay horizontal.

Anyway, I admit I don't understand what is happening with the magic floaty thing, but I don't think it matters. If indeed the centers of mass and flotation are merging, activating the same muscles while swimming won't do the same trick because when we swim we no longer keep both arms extended overhead -- so our center of mass is further back and thus not merged with floatation.

Now for the "press your chest." I agree with you when you ask what are you pushing against to make your chest go down. I don't think the human body has a set of muscles to press your chest down in the water that wouldn't also involve pressing your feet down. But I don't think the "press your chest" advice is necessarily wrong. I think its allegorical. It might be more literal to say "keep your chest down." The coach doesn't want to say "keep you head down" because that might induce the swimmers to get their head below alignment with the body. So how would swimmers keep their chest down? -- By doing that "feel for the water" thing. If one's chest is higher than mere flotation would have it, there must be a vertical force getting it there. It could be that the stroke has a vertical force component so the swimmer (maybe without knowing it) starts pulling more horizontally. Maybe there is a little kick action that gets the feet up so the plane of the body is not generating lift. But in any case, I think I agree with you that the swimmer is not literally pressing the chest down.

Rant over -- carry on.

Don't worry about the explanations. Forget about all of it. They aren't what matters. What matter is what allows you to improve.

Do this-

Try to implement what the video suggested. Put it into practice and see what happens.
Then try the exercises/approaches I suggested. Put it into practice and see what happens.

In both cases, what happens?

Is it easier compared to 'normal'?
Is it faster at all?
Do you take less strokes?
Does it feel like you can swim longer with less fatigue?
Can you sustain one longer than the other?
ETC.

I don't say any of this with the expectation of any outcome. I don't know what will happen, and neither do you.

With all of this stuff, you have to try it, see how it goes, and then make a decision as to what is best for you, regardless of the arguments that were made.

This same concept applies to ANY advice you are considering. At some point we have to do it and see what happens. What happens is what matters, not the rationale.

I really hope you give it a try.

I would love to hear what happens.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [Kalmarian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kalmarian wrote:

You are missing the point. The major component in swimming is reducing drag. The major component in running is p/w. Have you never met "fat swimmer guy" who hasnt been to a pool, nor worked out, for 20 years. but still swims laps areound you? Sure, there is some strength required to move properly in the water, but going sub 1.20scy once doesnt require any fitness. Doing series like 10x100 is a different story but that wasnt what MasteringFlow claimed.

Exactly. Once you have a reasonable level of speed and skill, you will absolutely need to train if you hope to sustain that speed for even the shortest of triathlon events.

Step #1 Get your skills and basic speed (which comes from skill) up to a minimum standard (you can still 'train' in this stage)
Step #2 Now it's time to develop the fitness to hold and maintain your speed and skills for extended periods of time (i.e. racing!)

Too many people skip step #1 and develop the fitness to swim slow for extended periods of time.

Quote Reply

Prev Next