Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
I'm hoping that Ironman will offer bus transport to the swim start from the T2/Finish area. Most/all races with split transitions do this, I believe... especially since some of the roads around Brittania will have to be closed.

I was told there would be shuttle buses T2/finish to swim start T1. In fact at Brittannia Beach there are barely 400 parking spots in the entire place, so I can't see them allowing any onsite parking on race day anyway
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkb wrote:
Beautiful pics. You may have already answered earlier in the thread, but have you signed up?
The excitement from the local Ottawa community alone might be enough to get me to do this event.

It is a great city to live and do sport. Which is why I live here and did not move to San Jose CA where my previous company was based. My startup (which I started) is based here, because of all of the above. As for signging up, a group of us who did Kona together in 2006 were pondering it. I have not done a full IM since 2015, and I am barely squeeking by in olympic and halfs off mainly master swim training, jogging to pool or transition runs after swimming or bike commuting/1 hrs trainer rides and 1 hrs runs on weekends. With that I can finish half IM's (heading to St. George in 2.5 weeks). But from there to full IM is a big lift and I have a all the families of employees working at my company relying on me to actually have energy to work and not be drained from IM training, and the risk is if I sign up, I will do too much too long too hard and burn the candle at every end.

I may sign up and just do what I am doing till June 1, 2025 and then at that point decide if my body and life can take a 6 week build or if I will break myself doing that. If I think I can do 6 weeks and get to the point that I can jog the entire run and not walk most of the marathon, then it would be nice to do since I will be in 60-64 and the swim start is literally a 10km ride from my house!!! It really is tempting for sure!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
christianlee wrote:
I'm hoping that Ironman will offer bus transport to the swim start from the T2/Finish area. Most/all races with split transitions do this, I believe... especially since some of the roads around Brittania will have to be closed.

I was told there would be shuttle buses T2/finish to swim start T1. In fact at Brittannia Beach there are barely 400 parking spots in the entire place, so I can't see them allowing any onsite parking on race day anyway

Ok, that makes total sense...good to hear. Hopefully there are still ways for families/supporters to get there and cheer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
christianlee wrote:

Ok, that makes total sense...good to hear. Hopefully there are still ways for families/supporters to get there and cheer.

there is no need for anyone not racing or volunteering to be at the swim start. Everyone will look the same anyway..........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry that someone hurt you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
christianlee wrote:

In St. George there is no parking onsite. Athletes take bus to swim start and from 6:30 to 7:30 spectators can take the buses. From 5 am or so to 6:30, athletes have priority on the buses from T2/finish to swim start. I would imagine they would implement something similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks. Always good to have cheering crowds at the swim... particularly at the finish. Tremblant was always great for that.

The only race I've done with a split transition was Cozumel, but I couldn't recall who was on the buses because I didn't have anyone there cheering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you love coz?

i've always wanted to do it..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [deantrives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deantrives wrote:
did you love coz?

I've done Cozumel twice and loved it both times. Beautiful water, great city. The only issue is it can be tricky to get to depending on where you are flying from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deantrives wrote:
did you love coz?

I loved it for the most part, but the heat (2022) almost killed me...literally. It was hot and full sun with 100% humidity on race day. Despite best efforts to hydrate adequately, I was severely dehydrated getting off the bike...suffering from head adema (swollen hands and arms), and had to walk 40k of the marathon. I probably should have DNF'd. Was woozy with weak pulse at the finish.

Not an easy spot for a Canadian to race at the end of November.

Other than that, the course (especially the swim) and organization were fantastic. Cozumel is a wonderful place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yikes!

i'd be flying from YYZ, so the tricky travel is the reason why i've not done it.
been to COZ several times for spring training camps and love the island.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deantrives wrote:
yikes!

i'd be flying from YYZ, so the tricky travel is the reason why i've not done it.

Flying directly into COZ is obviously much easier, but CUN isn't a huge deal either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deantrives wrote:
yikes!

I flew direct from Montreal both times, but the second time didn't arrive until the Friday. The race is just on the cusp of the busy season down there when there are more direct flights.

There have been some good past posts about travelling to Cozumel from Cancun that might be worth looking up.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkb wrote:
The excitement from the local Ottawa community alone might be enough to get me to do this event.

One of the things that's shocked me is not only the local tri community's enthusiasm, but even non-triathletes. I've had a few people at work who I wouldn't expect to know anything about the local tri scene, but who kinda know that I'm into triathlon, ask me if I was doing the event.

If random co-workers have heard of the event and its on their radar, whoever is doing communications/launch for this event deserves a raise.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 18, 24 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong , Mark is against closing the QE Driveway Monday-Friday
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Drags29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drags29 wrote:
Wrong , Mark is against closing the QE Driveway Monday-Friday

I know we're wading into Lavender room territory, but Sutcliffe is very much in the camp of "cycling as recreation" (he tends to view it more akin to his marathon prep) instead of "cycling as transport" (and therefore we need infrastructure to support this.

The first one works really well if you're a mayor trying to bring endurance events to your city. I have no doubt he's going to not work overtime to make this a success as far as his powers and role as mayor is concerned. A big endurance event like this is right in his wheelhouse.

But this is different than running a city day to day where he's choosing one mode of transport (cars) over others (cycling, public transport)
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 19, 24 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know we're wading into Lavender room territory, but Sutcliffe is very much in the camp of "cycling as recreation" (he tends to view it more akin to his marathon prep) instead of "cycling as transport" (and therefore we need infrastructure to support this.

The first one works really well if you're a mayor trying to bring endurance events to your city. I have no doubt he's going to not work overtime to make this a success as far as his powers and role as mayor is concerned. A big endurance event like this is right in his wheelhouse.

I'll get my biases out of the way first - Mark Suttcliffe is a long time friend.

He's also one of US - a dedicated, age-group Endurance Sports Athlete, who runs most days, has qualified for Boston in the past (and wrote a great book about his experience)

I'll fully admit that his stance on cycling in Ottawa was confusing to me . . . I thought he would have been a bolder, stauncher advocate for cycling in Ottawa. But having run locally in my own area, for Political Office (Town Council in Aurora, ON), I saw out on the Campaign Trail that average voters, in our mostly car-dependant suburban areas, could care less, about Bike Lanes, Road Safety, and any sort of advocacy in that direction - for them it's all cars, cars cars and more cars. It's a BLACK MARK against you with most voters. So you are in a tricky situation as a candidate and then if you get Elected.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I assumed and makes 100% sense.

Mark actually likes the idea of active transportation, but his campaign was about getting elected, not promoting a vision for the city that he actually believes in.

Pandering over leading. Politicians gonna be Politicians.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pandering over leading. Politicians gonna be Politicians.

I was advised by some very savvy successful Political veterans, that when campaigning and engaging with voters to be as neutral as possible - just let them talk - and many do!

What you learn from going door-to-door in your own community is fascinating, tremendously rewarding, but also very frustrating. I mention the last point because, you THINK everyone is completely plugged in, on top of what's going on, and engaged in the community - when nothing could be further from the truth. With the vast majority of people, it's the polar opposite - to a shocking degree actually!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright I'm in. Should be a fun day.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
Ya I’m not sure why or how or who is getting the priority registrations.
I am a AWA and signed up for all e-mail notifications and I received nothing.

Maybe I should write to Ironman.

Same here. WTF.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see how this doesn't sell out in the first week. I am actually considering doing this and I haven't raced a tri in >10 years.
I wonder if this has been placed here at this time as a precursor to losing Placid. (no idea if that is happening but the writing is on the wall for sure).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it would be an evolution of losing Tremblant as a full event.
Lake Placid and Tremblant were close enough that very few would be doing both.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wtf?!?!?
Sold out already?
Quote Reply

Prev Next