Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Lake Placid in Highschool [Henry Schultz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright - I’m in to follow this. I’ll be there racing this year as well. Assuming everything said is true, you’ve got incredible talent. But it’s a long day, and the bike course, while there’s no huge climbs is unforgiving on your run. A sub-10 would be an absolute unicorn of a day for me - I’m hoping for more like a 10:30 on a good day.

I’ll throw a follow on Strava too. This seems more like the old school training of the 80’s and 90’s.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid in Highschool [mattsurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply, I actually returned my indoor trainer because the weather is getting warmer where I'm from so I can bike outside which is a lot more fun. I have a training plan now, so I think that will be helpful for preparation.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid in Highschool [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtrichick wrote:
6) NUTRITION. Your comment about riding almost 5 hours and all you ate was 2 cliff bars and some trail mix..... this is pretty much a recipe for disaster in long distance racing. You should be aiming for something like 300 or more calories an HOUR on the bike, aiming to try and get like 80+ grams of carbohydrates (minimum, more if your gut can handle it). Waiting to fuel afterwards is the wrong choice. The idea is to eat continuously on the bike and not wait until you feel hungry. (Your 2 clif bars + trail mix MAYBE totaled 300 calories, which is about 700-1000 calories short for that one ride).
Henry, shoot me an email at alex at saturdaymorning dot fit and I'll get you set up with a VIP account to an app that will tell you how to fuel all your training sessions. USA Triathlon is pushing us out to all the high school tri clubs in the country for free anyway because kids like you need some direct and easy-to-follow guidance.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid in Highschool [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Henry, shoot me an email at alex at saturdaymorning dot fit and I'll get you set up with a VIP account to an app that will tell you how to fuel all your training sessions. USA Triathlon is pushing us out to all the high school tri clubs in the country for free anyway because kids like you need some direct and easy-to-follow guidance.

And old kids, like me, need some direction and easy-to-follow guidance. Love the app!

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid in Highschool [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, I'll check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat as you bro, but i'm a senior in college, not high school. LP will be my first ever triathlon event, I dove headfirst into training 8 months ago. My goal is really just to finish, but i want to try for under 12 hours. I've heard hell stories about the bike course, so i think i will be taking it slow and steady, for the first lap at least. Also don't want to die on the descent into keene. Good luck man, I'm following this thread. We've got this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates on your training? How are things going?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid in Highschool [AbdullahShaikh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coach Patrick from Endurance Nation had a series of youtube videos on Lake Placid, including one on the Keene descent that I still appreciate, 7 years later. Much respect to that guy.

• Choose a position and don't change. Aerobar or drops, but once you choose, don't change until Keene.
  • Braking while turning is not optimal - the bike doesn't want to turn while slowing - once into the turn, you have to let go and glide.
  • Near the bottom is a steep section with a sweeping right turn, and you can't see too far ahead - you can ride it out with a little faith.
  • Watch out for ejected bottles/kit on the road.
  • Also, it is slower to crash out of the race being a hero than to go whatever is a safe speed for you.

I eventually made Lap 1 without braking, and regret a little touch at the top of lap 2. You got this.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid in Highschool [Slick_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really appreciate the insight. Been training very hard, a little scared of fighting in the water during the swim but i want to take advantage of the underwater cable. Do you have to be right over it to see it or is the water clear enough that i can keep wide of it?
Quote Reply

Prev Next