Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a huge margin and he wasn't pushed. How much faster could he go?//

On the bike and run, not much if any. He was pushed by the clock, and watching the race, he drilled it from the gun to the finish. Being able to pace your own run will most often get you your best time, vs having to chase or run with others who may be faster or surgey.

There are a half dozen guys in ITU that are now doing 70.3's who will be tough to beat, along with some of the PTO series guys that are either in front of him, or just behind. You dont have these gaps in PTO races, and like I said, who are the next 3 guys here? Look like up and coming pros who had a great day for them.

My big question now is does sam start thinking about the Ironman series?? I mean no one in this race is really going to be a factor, almost 500 points lost just to 2nd. I mean he probably cannot win the thing, but with one, maybe two fulls, well it could be possible to podium?? He could still get some good $$ for doing 5 half's at this level too, especially with a great worlds performance at the end. Has to be entering his mind I bet, so perhaps a full will suddenly appear on the horizon after a little break now for a good training bloc...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pier87 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Tri247's take:
https://www.tri247.com/...-pro-series-sam-long
IM: https://proseries.ironman.com/...ronman-703-st-george
31 WPros; 70 MPros on the start list.
Following now not on start list:
Moench (F3)
Thek (F4)

Additions: Currie added (M6) - after his DNF/did not run on Saturday
Last year: https://www.trirating.com/...3-analyzing-results/
Metzler(W) is wearing F1: https://stats.protriathletes.org/athlete/jeanni-metzler
Findlay (F2), though, is the standout favourite.

piece of cake for Sam and Paula.

as planned.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who’s that Connor Weaver guy? He just ran a 1:08:34!!! Is that a run course record?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.orlando2024trials.com/...142/34/connor-weaver

Google found this. I wonder if he's done a full yet? Says he's a Pro Tri in that link.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: timr: May 4, 24 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taupo slots to:
Costes, Wilkowiecki, Sandi, Andrie(#12)
Metzler, Frades, Simpson, McBride
Disappointing to see no coverage of Hamilton running up into second. He passed Quenet and Sperl at about 13km and never looked back.
Did we even see him finish? With commentators focusing on Quenet, Laundry and Costes (in the mix for #3, 100 seconds back).
Hering tried and tried, closing to 22 seconds at 14km but Salthouse looked as if she'd held a bit back for that last 7km. And Findlay eased off massively/sensibly in the last 5km.
Hering shared she will be racing IM Hamburg: it'd be her first IM for 9 years! IM Pro Series influence.
Findlay thinks she might enjoy IMMT, next year - "we'll see!"

Think Long jumps to #1 on the PTO Rankings (with this score = about 98 with the 5% bonus) and as Blummenfelt drops off the plot (has to count his #35 finish in Lahti).
And Findlay (with 92.6) climbs a place, above Philipp.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: May 4, 24 13:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Who’s that Connor Weaver guy? He just ran a 1:08:34!!! Is that a run course record?

Pure runner. 2:13 marathon, sub 14 5k guy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly new run course this year, which was new in 2022. Weaver ran D1 but has a # of youth results from 2011-2014. Looks like he's making the jump from road running back to triathlon. He had the fastest run at Oceanside but only biked 2:30. He biked 2:18 today, which shows some good improvement. 1:08 is ridiculous with 700+ feet of vert. If he can get better on the bike, he'll be dangerous within the next couple of years. He swam with Sam Long today.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
https://www.orlando2024trials.com/...142/34/connor-weaver

Google found this. I wonder if he's done a full yet? Says he's a Pro Tri in that link.

Perezsandi is Tomas’s training partner. 3rd fastest run of the day, but he also needs to improve that swim/bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very well done - especially the astute quick takes. These articles offer more insight than the usual “they raced, they won, they came second, hot day, tough course, slots, etc.” but are a quick and easy read.

Style wise, something to consider in general: you only ever refer to athletes by their names (never: “the Canadian”, “the reigning 70.3 world champion”, etc.), which gets repetitive and - for lack of a better word - dry. It’s probably something you do on purpose to achieve clarity, but if there were a vote, I’d vote for referring to athletes in more varied ways when they are mentioned in the text multiple times.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: May 4, 24 15:01
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Pro Series 70.3 St. George [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Taupo slots to:
Costes, Wilkowiecki, Sandi, Andrie(#12)
Metzler, Frades, Simpson, McBride
Disappointing to see no coverage of Hamilton running up into second. He passed Quenet and Sperl at about 13km and never looked back.
Did we even see him finish? With commentators focusing on Quenet, Laundry and Costes (in the mix for #3, 100 seconds back).
Hering tried and tried, closing to 22 seconds at 14km but Salthouse looked as if she'd held a bit back for that last 7km. And Findlay eased off massively/sensibly in the last 5km.
Hering shared she will be racing IM Hamburg: it'd be her first IM for 9 years! IM Pro Series influence.
Findlay thinks she might enjoy IMMT, next year - "we'll see!"

Think Long jumps to #1 on the PTO Rankings (with this score = about 98 with the 5% bonus) and as Blummenfelt drops off the plot (has to count his #35 finish in Lahti).
And Findlay (with 92.6) climbs a place, above Philipp.

Paula has always said no way to a full, but I was thinking Ottawa being new next year might get her to change her mind. I think Nice would be a great course for her. Kona not so much as she hates the heat.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Great write up. In regards to your quick take 3 on the run, the run as definitely more difficult than 2022/23 years except for when we climbed up red cliffs in 2020/21.

This year we traded the flat section in town with a loop around the park for more climbing back out of town with a loop around the church. Significantly more climbing than last year, but Sam has said he loves the descents so it suited him well too.

StG is such a great race. I'm always surprised it doesn't sell out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next