Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think some of the questions about her desire at the time were also fueled by her own past comments about how much she disliked triathlon. She clearly has put those doubts to rest since then.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
sidelined wrote:
Hugo Milner now on the start list for Yokohama
.will be interesting to see how he does
He recently demonstrated he only has elite age group level bike power. Not even low level pro.
He certainly can improve and he is an amazing runner, so I’ll take interest (as you suggested). But I doubt he’ll be mentioned after the gun goes off.
Bit like Jorgensen then; except she'll surely keep getting the 'mentions'.
Get over your Gwen hate and your dislike for me. Gwen has an Olympic gold on her resume. Milner has “3.8 w/kg” at the Arena games on his resume. We all say stupid things. This is next level stupid.
Left this for a few days.
The points I tried to make were that, like Milner, Jorgensen's USP is her demon run; and like Milner, her weakness is a non-front pack swim and below average bike strength so that both rely on others dragging the chase pack up to or close to the leaders, which then allows them to be part of the conversation.

On the 'mentions' element, ex-Olympic champion Jorgensen obviously has a much higher profile and is bound to continue to get 'mentions' however far back she is, because of the USA team dynamic / selection trilemma (Spivey/Jorgensen/Zaferes) means this topic will run and run. Quite likely Milner will "not be mentioned" after the gun goes off, unless the bike looks as if it's going to end up as a massive pack with him in it, when I bet there will be mention.

Where your imagination of "Gwen hating" comes from or why you think I "dislike you" are mysteries to me. Maybe confusing me with someone else? I think "stupid" is an overused adjective. I don't think comparing Milner's strengths and weaknesses with Jorgensen's is unreasonable.
Have a good ride and hope you enjoy Yokohama, live.
Here's GTN's effort at explaining all the various nation's OQ/selection(jump to @20:04):
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: May 9, 24 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay.

I hope it’s an interesting race too. I don’t think either will be relevant but you never know.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pier87 wrote:
dannyboyjim wrote:
There is definitely context, but if we are being real, her performances last year were not just a few percent off where they needed to be - they were a long long way off. At no point in a WTS race did she get anywhere close to showing she can compete (only exception was the Sunderland relay where there is also context of a slightly weaker field with no one really hammering the bike etc).

All the travel etc may account for a few % off her best, but I do not think it accounts for much more.

A step change is needed this year for her to be in the ball park, but good luck to her.

though she earned her chances by going round the world a lot and making the points for it, not being subbed in like someone else and knowing in advance they'd do that race.
Now that she has the points and can have some fair chances they sub her out. It's pathetic from USAT. And it has been clear from the return of Gwen that the rest of the team was rallying against her.

since 2023
https://www.triathlon.org/.../68698/katie_zaferes races started in 15 different locations
started her campaign ranked 143 rd

https://triathlon.org/...40887/gwen_jorgensen races started in 16 different locations
started her campaign with no ranking.

in their first head to head april 2023 gwen lost by 50 seconds in a sprint race despite swimming and riding in a pack against a solo zaferes.
katie was just better at that time doing a solo breakaway on swim and bike ,she had the swim and bike level required at world series level. gwen did not i think even pat agrees with that .
gwens swim and run was good for world cup level and she did extremely well at the 2nd tier level. but what would it have done to sub her into world series with and iffy swim and weak bike, she would have done less world cups and have less points with a 98 percent certainty.

gwen can still direct qualify katie cant .
overall i would still say she has the same chance to qualify as katie , if she does a solid race into t2
Quote Reply

Prev Next