Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
samtridad wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Could you let me know what your thoughts are regarding head position in freestyle? Do you advocate “eyes down” or do you have more variation in your swimmers, with some looking more forward? I am personally finding the eyes down position is slowing me down and am wondering whether to try “pushing through” in hopes of longer term gains, or to stick with the head position that seems to be faster for me at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Let me know if I didn't answer your question in my response to your original post (i think it's right above this question).

I think you should roll with what's working. While there are some occasions where a technical change or a change in training approach may set you back in the short-term, that's not usually not the case unless you're at very high level of performance AND the change is a massive one.

Go with what is consistently providing the best result.

Hope that helps!

andrew

http://www.masteringflow.info
http://www.youtube.com/@masteringflow
http://www.andrewsheaffcoaching.com/...freestyle-fast-today
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [MasteringFlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:
klehner wrote:

There's a great line in Game of Thrones: "everything before the 'but' is horseshit". But I digress.

The poster indicated that *raising* his head gave him more speed. Certainly worked for me.

After swimming for a couple of decades, I focused on straightening out my pull and gained a couple of seconds per hundred at the same effort.

When you say 'straightening out your pull', do you mean that you began pulling with a straighter arm (less elbow bend), you started pulling back straighter (less lateral movement), or both?

Thanks,

Andrew

I got rid of any 'S' in my stroke relative to the pool. Definitely like setting my hand and pulling my body past the "stationary" hand. I'll even look on occasion at the path my hand is taking to ensure that I'm not reverting (I can feel it slip when I get fatigued). From above, my hand should trace a straight line from the catch through to the end of the pull. Important to distinguish "straight relative to the pool" from "straight relative to my body," as my body rotation ensures that I'm engaging the important lat muscles throughout the pull.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:
Matt J wrote:

I have assessments this week and I FEEL faster. So, we'll see.I successfully did the TriDot workout for the first time last Monday and it felt great. I think the extra day in the pool each week is helping tremendously. I never feel unfamiliar when I hit the water because I'm never out of the pool longer than two days which is nice.

Great advice. I would be happy with some small incremental gains. Eventually I would love to see my swim on par with my bike and run, but that could be 3 or 4 years down the road. The frustrating thing previously before I realized to just focus on technique was that no amount of fitness made me faster it seemed. I could just swim slowly for longer. This time I think I can average 1:35 to 1:50 for the 200 and that will feel like a huge win. If I can have reasonable expectations for the 400 I think I can crush the 200.

Swimming more often will always help. The water is foreign environment with different 'rules' as to how you move. The more often you can get in the water, the better. This is true even if the total volume/time for the week is similar.

One day at a time! Get little wins and will eventually add up to something big.

Andrew

Completed the TSS assessment this morning and am proud to report I am faster.

I knocked 38 s. off the 400 (I think I could have done better but I didn't pace very well) and then I knocked 29 s. off the 200.

I think I've eliminated about 90% the little head lift I had in breathing and the slow swimming has really helped with my rotation.

Curious if I can get some video if you will do an analysis for my next couple of things to work on? I don't mind it being public on this thread and I'm happy to pay you for your time. Not sure if that would be good for the thread or a distraction.... totally up to you.

Thanks so much for the help! I'm happy to finally be making some progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

I got rid of any 'S' in my stroke relative to the pool. Definitely like setting my hand and pulling my body past the "stationary" hand. I'll even look on occasion at the path my hand is taking to ensure that I'm not reverting (I can feel it slip when I get fatigued). From above, my hand should trace a straight line from the catch through to the end of the pull. Important to distinguish "straight relative to the pool" from "straight relative to my body," as my body rotation ensures that I'm engaging the important lat muscles throughout the pull.

Thanks for the insight. Where you actively taught to the 'S', or did you just acquire it over time? The 'straight relative to the pool' vs. 'straight relative to the body' differentiation is an important one, that trips people up.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt J wrote:

Completed the TSS assessment this morning and am proud to report I am faster.

I knocked 38 s. off the 400 (I think I could have done better but I didn't pace very well) and then I knocked 29 s. off the 200.

I think I've eliminated about 90% the little head lift I had in breathing and the slow swimming has really helped with my rotation.

Curious if I can get some video if you will do an analysis for my next couple of things to work on? I don't mind it being public on this thread and I'm happy to pay you for your time. Not sure if that would be good for the thread or a distraction.... totally up to you.

Thanks so much for the help! I'm happy to finally be making some progress.

Well 38s and 29s are pretty substantial improvements! Congrats. Glad to see the hard work is paying off for you.

Feel free to post some video. I'd be happy to take a look.

Congrats and keep it up!

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:
klehner wrote:

Thanks for the insight. Where you actively taught to the 'S', or did you just acquire it over time? The 'straight relative to the pool' vs. 'straight relative to the body' differentiation is an important one, that trips people up.

Andrew

Pretty sure that was the accepted thinking when I started swimming in the mid-1980s. So when I and others would do that (probably due to fatigue causing the hand to slip water during the pull), nobody thought twice about correcting it.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Pretty sure that was the accepted thinking when I started swimming in the mid-1980s. So when I and others would do that (probably due to fatigue causing the hand to slip water during the pull), nobody thought twice about correcting it.

Makes sense. I appreciate it. I thought that was the timeline, which was why I asked. It's interesting to see how thinking changes over time.

Makes one wonder what we're doing now that will be totally different in 30 years!

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:
klehner wrote:

Makes sense. I appreciate it. I thought that was the timeline, which was why I asked. It's interesting to see how thinking changes over time.

Makes one wonder what we're doing now that will be totally different in 30 years!

Andrew

Somewhere back in the middle of this thread someone asked "what if I want to get really fast, as in a 16:00 1500 m", and you replied that he/she need to swim a lot of yards but also to swim fast 25s and 50s every day. Since 25s and 50s are the staple diet of young swimmers learning to swim faster in a competitive swim clinic, I am curious as to why you only recommended the 25s/50s to this one fellow and not to everyone trying to get faster. Thanks, Eric.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Working on getting some video, hopefully this week.

Quick pacing question...

TriDot gave me this great workout this week, best possible average of 7 x 50y on 2:30 with a middle recovery set and then another of the same.

It took me a couple 50's to realize this is basically a sprint at my ability. So, my fastest 50's were 1:32/100y - what would be good pacing to aim for in the 200 and 400?

Also, I was reading about how faster swimmers turn their arms over at a rate of 60+ spm - this some times confuses me because I don't know if they're quoting one arm or both, but I was comparing my swim to a good swimmer's workout and I average a distance per stroke of about 2 yards swimming slow and 1.5 in a sprint with a stroke rate of low 20's cruising and mid 30's at my fastest. The more accomplished swimmer turns over 65 times per minute and a DPS closer to 1.25 yards. Should I be focusing on faster turnover and less glide?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Andrew. Thanks again for this thread. I have a question for you.

A typical workout for me is 30 x 50 on 1:15. I usually come in :45-46. This is significantly faster than it was even six months ago and I am swimming at 60spm. At 75spm, I can hit :40, though I can't make the interval more than a time or two. If I try to, I find that I slip and my times start to climb back towards :45 over the next several reps.

Recently, I have been experimenting with resistance training. Usually I'll do some 100s with paddles and dragsox with or without the pull buoy mid workout. After a few sets, I'll return to my 50s and I find that I am dropping as much as four seconds per interval. It feels like I am flying. Over the next few reps, I return to my normal interval time.

My question for you is how much resistance work should I be doing? Is there a ratio of normal swimming to resistance work that you would recommend? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:

A typical workout for me is 30 x 50 on 1:15. I usually come in :45-46. This is significantly faster than it was even six months ago and I am swimming at 60spm. At 75spm, I can hit :40, though I can't make the interval more than a time or two. If I try to, I find that I slip and my times start to climb back towards :45 over the next several reps.

Recently, I have been experimenting with resistance training. Usually I'll do some 100s with paddles and dragsox with or without the pull buoy mid workout. After a few sets, I'll return to my 50s and I find that I am dropping as much as four seconds per interval. It feels like I am flying. Over the next few reps, I return to my normal interval time.

My question for you is how much resistance work should I be doing? Is there a ratio of normal swimming to resistance work that you would recommend? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Not answering for the OP, but you can do your 50s with varied speeds, and that will help. I do a set a bunch - 20x50 on 1:00 (1:05 would be ok at your speed) but doing them as 8x50 with every 4th FAST, 6x50 with every 3rd fast, 4x50 with every 2nd fast, and 2 fast. You begin to develop both feeling easier at the slower speed and learning to recover while swimming. Just a thought on the 50s workout!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Somewhere back in the middle of this thread someone asked "what if I want to get really fast, as in a 16:00 1500 m", and you replied that he/she need to swim a lot of yards but also to swim fast 25s and 50s every day. Since 25s and 50s are the staple diet of young swimmers learning to swim faster in a competitive swim clinic, I am curious as to why you only recommended the 25s/50s to this one fellow and not to everyone trying to get faster. Thanks, Eric.

Speaking to a 16:00 1500m, my assumption (perhaps incorrect) was that this individual was already a pretty competent swimmer and reasonably close to achieving this target. Perhaps they can swim 19:00 for 1500m or something similar. Someone like this probably has pretty decent skills and a pretty decent base of fitness. Most people tend to neglect the speed aspect, particularly in longer swimming events, and when they start to get pretty good. Everyone focuses on the volume and the fitness aspect. However, it's still a speed event and they need to work on that.

To your point, I think doing short sprints is beneficial for anyone, provided they are focused executing their skills as fast as possible, rather than just swimming hard. The reason I hadn't discussed or made that suggestion to anyone else was that's the only real question that's been directed my way about training. Everything else has been mostly about technique, so I haven't really gotten into training prescription for anyone else.

I am NOT a fan of just doing 25s DRILL and thinking that doing so will magically change your skills. Technique has to be integrated into everything you do. If you're referencing that advice, I see doing 25s/50s FAST and repetitive 25s drill, I think that those two strategies are very different.

As a basic approach to training, with technical development in mind, there are three types (all of which have nearly infinite sub-variations)

1. Slow training- Sub threshold, doesn't have to be continuous, the focus is on building volume over time. You should be executing your skills to the best of your current ability. Strict technical work can and should be a part of this process.
2. Fast training- very short and fast, larger recoveries, swimming as fast you can with a reasonable standard of technique based upon your current abilities. You can do some technical work FAST here.
3. Hard training- threshold type work/VO2max type work/etc. This can encompass a range of activities, most requiring effort and creating fatigue. Again, executed with a reasonable standard of technique.

Over a season, you build a 'base' with 1 and 2, and start layering in and eventually focusing on 3.

To clearly answer your original question, it does have value for everyone. It will be more valuable to the individual that is already working on their technique and doing a decent amount of solid swimming. This is especially true when covering longer distances. If someone just focuses on the short stuff, it's probably not a winning combination to swim well over longer distances, so it's not something I emphasize immediately in my communication.

One of the big values for ANYONE is NOT swimming at the same speed every time they get in the water. The should practice swimming slow, fast, and somewhere in between. Swimming the same speed all the time is not a great strategy.

If anyone has questions about the training side, happy to answer them as well.

Hope that helps. If you have follow up questions, please let me know. Speed matters.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt J wrote:
Working on getting some video, hopefully this week.

Quick pacing question...

TriDot gave me this great workout this week, best possible average of 7 x 50y on 2:30 with a middle recovery set and then another of the same.

It took me a couple 50's to realize this is basically a sprint at my ability. So, my fastest 50's were 1:32/100y - what would be good pacing to aim for in the 200 and 400?

Also, I was reading about how faster swimmers turn their arms over at a rate of 60+ spm - this some times confuses me because I don't know if they're quoting one arm or both, but I was comparing my swim to a good swimmer's workout and I average a distance per stroke of about 2 yards swimming slow and 1.5 in a sprint with a stroke rate of low 20's cruising and mid 30's at my fastest. The more accomplished swimmer turns over 65 times per minute and a DPS closer to 1.25 yards. Should I be focusing on faster turnover and less glide?

So 2x7x50 on 2:30 and you're going 46 seconds per 50?

A set like that is one where you're getting a fair amount of rest. I would think that you are swimming WAY faster than what you could hold for a 200 and definitely a 400.

I tend to not look at sets as 'predictors', but as comparisons. So rather than saying that the set you did means you can go X time, I would just focus on improving the set you did over time. For instance, if you do the same set in a month and you average 44s or 43s, you're FASTER. The same can be said for any set you do.

The only swimmers that get up to 60+ CYCLES (left+right arm = 1) per minute are 50m swimmers and not all of them do that. If what you read was about swimming in any context other than sprinting in a pool they meant 60+ STROKES (left+right = 2), or 30 CYCLES per minute. NO ONE can sustain 60 CYCLES with any sort of efficiency for any duration of time.

The article is talking about going about 32 cycles per minute. I think if you're able to sustain stroke rates at around 30 cycles per minute (+/-5 for individual differences), that's pretty reasonable. If you're only able to get up to mid 30s, you might want to shorten things up a bit. Some people CAN glide too much. However, it's hard to know definitively without seeing it.

The question I just answered in regards to short sprints might be helpful to you to practice with a higher tempo.

Do this- start paying attention to your stroke counts AND your times. See if you can swim faster with slightly HIGHER stroke counts (that means that you're increasing you stroke rate AND it's worth it because you're going faster). If you try different strategies over time, and you pay attention, you'll find what works for you. Practice this over a range of speed. You may find that slightly shorter stroke, with bigger increase in stroke rate works for you. However, you need to use the numbers to back it up.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt J wrote:

Forgot to answer this fully. It's hard for me to know definitely. If you want to get a good sense of what you PROBABLY could hold, do something like the following-

2x5x50 with 20-30 seconds rest between each 50; active recovery in between

10x50 with 10-20 seconds rest with recovery in between

Whatever you do on those sets, you could probably do straight up for 1 effort if you were excited about going for it on the individual swim. As you can tell, those sets are pretty different than the 50s on 2:30. It would likely be several seconds slower per 50.

Didn't you do a fast 200 and 400 recently? How did those times compared to the 1:32/100 average from the 50s? That's a pretty good indicator of how many seconds you'd need to add to the 1:32 average. Do those comparisons, and you'll get a sense of how predictive any set is for YOU.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:

Not answering for the OP, but you can do your 50s with varied speeds, and that will help. I do a set a bunch - 20x50 on 1:00 (1:05 would be ok at your speed) but doing them as 8x50 with every 4th FAST, 6x50 with every 3rd fast, 4x50 with every 2nd fast, and 2 fast. You begin to develop both feeling easier at the slower speed and learning to recover while swimming. Just a thought on the 50s workout!

Varied speed work is GREAT for 2 reasons you alluded to-

1. Learning to shift gears TECHNICALLY. Different speeds will feel different and you want to be able to control that at will.2
2. Active recovery is a great physical stimulus where you go beyond your physical comfort zone and you have to recover while still swimming.

Too many people swim at the same speed all the time. Mix it up between workouts, within workouts, AND within sets.

This type of work is HIGHLY underrated.

Good stuff.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:

Thanks again.

It could be worth working on swimming at 75spm, but as you know found out(!), you probably need more rest to do so. You could perform the set as suggested with every 3rd or 4th fast, and that would probably work, or just perform fewer repetitions and increase the rest interval. Say 12x50 on 2:00 trying to hit 40s. That's just a suggestion, you'd have to find out what's sustainable for you.

While resistance work can be good for developing 'strength', it can also be VERY good for developing technical skills, even encouraging short-term changes. As you saw, SOMETHING changed when you did the resistance work and then took it off. If something like that happens, it's probably technical. I see it often. While someone of you may have heard of post-activation potentiation (lifting something heavy before you do something fast), I don't think that's what's going on. I think it's TECHNICAL potentiation. It's causing you to swim better somehow. You may get better awareness of how you're moving in the water, it may encourage better arm actions (I think this is happening) and it may force you to hold more water (I think this is happening). Why does it wear off? It could be that you lose the feel you obtained, or you just get tired.

To your question, how often should you use it? I would use it like I described, as a technical potential tool. Use it to lock in your skills and get the feeling of swimming well. Then do some training, whatever you do. Then use the resistance to get locked back in. The do some more swimming. Over time, you want to be able to swim for LONGER periods of time without NEEDING the resistance work to get you set. That means the changes are becoming more stable. AND you want to be able to get locked in FASTER with less resistance work.

So no hard and fast rules as to how much. Just remember that the ultimate goal is to get better at REGULAR swimming, so use the resistance as a tool to help your regular swimming. In general, I would say that more than 1:1 is not a great idea. It seems like you've stumbled upon something that helps your swimming. Now just apply it a little more strategically and systematically to help improve your swimming.

This is how I think the MAJORITY of technical work should happen. Find technical exercises that help you FEEL better after using them or help you FEEL a skill. Then do some training or full stroke swimming, aiming to recreate those sensations. When it falls apart, go back to the technical exercises, get the groove back, and go again.

Happy to expand if people have more questions, or show some simple sample sets to illustrate the concepts. Let me know.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will put your plan to work and will report back.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:
Matt J wrote:

Forgot to answer this fully. It's hard for me to know definitely. If you want to get a good sense of what you PROBABLY could hold, do something like the following-

2x5x50 with 20-30 seconds rest between each 50; active recovery in between

10x50 with 10-20 seconds rest with recovery in between

Whatever you do on those sets, you could probably do straight up for 1 effort if you were excited about going for it on the individual swim. As you can tell, those sets are pretty different than the 50s on 2:30. It would likely be several seconds slower per 50.

Didn't you do a fast 200 and 400 recently? How did those times compared to the 1:32/100 average from the 50s? That's a pretty good indicator of how many seconds you'd need to add to the 1:32 average. Do those comparisons, and you'll get a sense of how predictive any set is for YOU.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Hey Andrew - thanks so much for your thoughtful response.

Recent 400 was 8:15 and 200 was 3:45, that's why I was asking because I feel like I had a lot of kick in the last 25, so I want to work on pacing. One thing I was thinking about is that I can just do some 200 and 400 work and play with pacing, see how long I can hold that 50 pace. My fastest 5k run times I go out as fast as I can and simply try and hold on as hard and long as I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MasteringFlow wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Speaking to a 16:00 1500m, my assumption (perhaps incorrect) was that this individual was already a pretty competent swimmer and reasonably close to achieving this target. Perhaps they can swim 19:00 for 1500m or something similar. Someone like this probably has pretty decent skills and a pretty decent base of fitness. Most people tend to neglect the speed aspect, particularly in longer swimming events, and when they start to get pretty good. Everyone focuses on the volume and the fitness aspect. However, it's still a speed event and they need to work on that.

To your point, I think doing short sprints is beneficial for anyone, provided they are focused executing their skills as fast as possible, rather than just swimming hard. The reason I hadn't discussed or made that suggestion to anyone else was that's the only real question that's been directed my way about training. Everything else has been mostly about technique, so I haven't really gotten into training prescription for anyone else.

I am NOT a fan of just doing 25s DRILL and thinking that doing so will magically change your skills. Technique has to be integrated into everything you do. If you're referencing that advice, I see doing 25s/50s FAST and repetitive 25s drill, I think that those two strategies are very different.

As a basic approach to training, with technical development in mind, there are three types (all of which have nearly infinite sub-variations)

1. Slow training- Sub threshold, doesn't have to be continuous, the focus is on building volume over time. You should be executing your skills to the best of your current ability. Strict technical work can and should be a part of this process.
2. Fast training- very short and fast, larger recoveries, swimming as fast you can with a reasonable standard of technique based upon your current abilities. You can do some technical work FAST here.
3. Hard training- threshold type work/VO2max type work/etc. This can encompass a range of activities, most requiring effort and creating fatigue. Again, executed with a reasonable standard of technique.

Over a season, you build a 'base' with 1 and 2, and start layering in and eventually focusing on 3.

To clearly answer your original question, it does have value for everyone. It will be more valuable to the individual that is already working on their technique and doing a decent amount of solid swimming. This is especially true when covering longer distances. If someone just focuses on the short stuff, it's probably not a winning combination to swim well over longer distances, so it's not something I emphasize immediately in my communication.

One of the big values for ANYONE is NOT swimming at the same speed every time they get in the water. The should practice swimming slow, fast, and somewhere in between. Swimming the same speed all the time is not a great strategy.

If anyone has questions about the training side, happy to answer them as well.

Hope that helps. If you have follow up questions, please let me know. Speed matters.

Andrew

Ah, I had not really noticed that everyone outside of that one guy was asking technique questions but there again that is the thread title. Anyway, I knew that you would agree on the value of fast 25s and 50s. Swim training would be pretty boring if we always just swam at the same pace. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I’d like some feedback on my stroke. I’m new to triathlon and used to swim when I was a kid but haven’t swam in 40 ish years. Attached video is my first laps of warm up. This is typical low endurance pace for me. Thanks!
Last edited by: Chris B.O.B.: Feb 16, 22 17:33
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Technique Questions Answered [Chris B.O.B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris B.O.B. wrote:
Hi,

I’d like some feedback on my stroke. I’m new to triathlon and used to swim when I was a kid but haven’t swam in 40 ish years. Attached video is my first laps of warm up. This is typical low endurance pace for me. Thanks!

Chris - I don't see any video but in any case you should reply with your video to Mastering Flow since he is the real expert. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that we're also talking about swim training, what do you recommend for strength and conditioning? I am particularly interested in timing of the strength work and how that affects swim training, i.e. do your athletes strength train every day, or only on non-swim days etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
Will put your plan to work and will report back.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

My pleasure. Let me know how it goes!

Andrew

Quote Reply

Prev Next