Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CAT cheetah was also doing stuff like this, years ago. eventually if you're making your bikes out of carbon and can build any shape you like, the limiting factor becomes standard hardware like BBs, headsets, and the like. so you simply make your own in bespoke dimensions that allow you to build the bike you want. annoying for repairs and stuff? sure. but it's a $15 000 bike. do you really care about that?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it! It's definitely different.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
The thing in the back bothers me, but it looks to be removable. I think I'd be OK if it was level with the top tube such as on Trek's SC or QR's PR6, et.

But then, it might not be as effective as a "bluff body splitter", since it would be further from the "big blob" ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Chris_Mint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris_Mint wrote:

The storage on the downtube is interesting and I am curious about their explanation on the sail in back.

I have two questions about its hydration functionality.

1) How do you refill it on course? From the picture posted here, it looks like the rear of the saddle extends pretty far back over the box, so, at best, you'd have to get a pretty steep attack angle on the bottle to reach wherever the opening is, even if the opening is all the way to the rear. It looks like it could be awkward. Maybe the answer is you don't refill on course, or you use a BTA if supplementing with on-course hydration. But I can easily burn through far more than 2L for a >100 mile bike on a hot day.

2) How do you clean the reservoir and the Roman Aquaduct-length tube? Are they flushable without getting sticky residue over the rest of your components? Even with good practice on flushing, eventually that tube is going to need to be sanitized properly (if I'm using it). Is it easy to remove and re-thread without an hour of profanity? Simply using straight water for hydration is not an option for me, as I prefer my calories liquid.

If bike purchase came down just to comparision of high-volume onboard hydration, the Ventum is winning for me hands down right now, though 1.4L vs. (allegedly) 2.0L. Unless there are really good answers for these two questions.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:

I wonder how hard it is to get liquid all the way from back there thru the straw. The old one was not super easy.

most triathletes are really strong suckers, so i don't imagine it will be a problem

the bike is easy to pack, easy to fit, and fast (it's a specialized, it'll be fast). hyperbikes are going to be polarizing, but in person this one is pretty sick.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Oct 8, 18 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you just never fill it with liquid and just use it as storage

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'd use the giant empty down tube as storage. (SWAT)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We will find out soon once the link goes live!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's impressive and that looks like a beautiful bike.

You can get away with that in a velodrome but I wouldn't want to hit a pothole out on the road with a steerer tube that size!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Andres wrote:
The thing in the back bothers me, but it looks to be removable. I think I'd be OK if it was level with the top tube such as on Trek's SC or QR's PR6, et.

But then, it might not be as effective as a "bluff body splitter", since it would be further from the "big blob" ;-)

I’m sure there’s a 100% legitimate reason. I’m just not into how it looks. Maybe Lucy will win now.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
you'd use the giant empty down tube as storage. (SWAT)

Maybe you need a pack a sandwich or raincoat?

If bike has storage in downtube then I would take that thing off and call it a day.

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Andres wrote:

It's still way below the body proper as-is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you'd probably be giving away significant aero advantage at any sort of yaw past 2-3 degrees, and that would be silly.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Oct 8, 18 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
you'd probably be giving away significant aero advantage at any sort of yaw past 2-3 degrees, and that would be silly.

:-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was almost 10 years ago I had a similar idea for a fork but my head tube idea was way different. Specialized if you want the next iteration hit me up, lots of FA to be gotten rid of.

Haha
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized is likely going to have some bold aero claims for this bike... and they will be plausible. That giant sail in the rear will help reattach flow behind the rider.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the fact that the claims are reasonable and within the realm of possibilities (and not outlandish) will probably inspire more confidence than if they claimed that this bike was responsible for a 13minute Hawaii Bike improvement by their top rider... Oh wait.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
You might be right. It can be hard to improve overall aerodynamics by improving viscous effects in a way that increases frontal area- but it is not unheard of.

And actually frontal area may not be that much bigger here.

I’m wondering if it’s trying to take your legs out of the equation as much as possible. If the fork can split the airflow inside/outside your legs I could see that helping cda numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least the paint is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where did you grab these pics from??
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The website was live last night apparently and then taken down.

Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also, if i want to take my shiny new shiv out for a sprint or olympic, i still have to use the massive hydration storage on back? or will there be different sizes avail?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
also, if i want to take my shiny new shiv out for a sprint or olympic, i still have to use the massive hydration storage on back? or will there be different sizes avail?

You’ll fit in better if you leave it on for a sprint. You never know when you could need 2L of water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is ugly. The front is interesting, thanking the lord I went with ARGON. The last shiv was beautiful and made sense, this is just icky.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hydration storage is 1.5ltr.

https://bikerumor.com/...ign-massive-storage/

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply

Prev Next